ORAS OU Balance with Goth/Clef Core (Advice For ORAS please)

Introduction: Hello Everyone The is my first RMT so Sorry if I make any error's. Anyway this is the team that pulled me out 1100s and allowed me to peak at 1670 before droping back to the mid 1500s on the Old X/Y ou ladder before it was done away with. Anyway I'm posting it here to see If I can Improve on it further going into Oras. Built Around around a core of Clefable and Gothitelle this team is basically a slow bulky offence team that also Utilises Volt/Turn to help wear-down opponents before either sending in Goth to clear out a clef check (Or stall break) or simply bringing in clef to CM and sweep.

Team at a glance:

In addition When Building this team I set out to do 3 things. Minimize the impact from Commonly Spammed moves like knock off and Scald, Have as few pokemon be stealth rock weak as possible and lastly Crush Stall. 3 goals I think I have met with the Team I built.

The Core: Initially this was a core of Gothitelle and Gyarados with Clef as a rock setter while calm mind was tacked on but Clef proved so good at calm minding she ended up as my win condition and G-dos sent to the scrap bin. Between fairy Typing and magic guard finding a chance to set up was really easy. But what to do about Steels, Stall, Smergle and Poisen types. Enter Gothitelle whom not only stallbreaks but eliminates ''permantly'' most pokemon that would threaten Clef while covering each others weakness's perfectly and maintaining pressure over fighting spam which I seem to run into alot.

Detailed Explanations

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

I swear this thing is Death Incarnate, sponging all sorts of attacks, while sweeping away all who oppose it, pulling wins from nowhere and just being a downright pain in the neck. There is rarely a game where Clef is not useful. Basically Clef is my win condtion and my means to ending games. I mean whats not to like Fairy Typing and magic guard allow many set up oppurtunities, shes somewhat of a wildcard till scouted and Even if I cant set up she is still useable as a physical wall. Evs are there to max Physical bulk while helping calm mind a little and Stored Power lets me win Calm mind wars

You got Gothed (Gothitelle) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Yes I run Specs Gothitelle because screw Ferrothorn, Venu, Rest Talk Gyarados and Skarmory. Chance's are if your facing my gothitelle your about to lose 1 of your precious pokemon. Covering Clefs weakness Gothitelle is the workhorse of my team sometimes killing more pokemon then my main win condtition and has been so from its very first Incarnation eliminating the steels, Bulky Waters and poisen Types who would otherwise stop Clefable in her tracks as well as Stall Breaking. Likewise Clef Takes the bug and dark hits that would otherwise wreck harm Goth. Her EVs are built to take maximum advantage of specs while running enough speed to outrun Base 80s including 24 speed rest talk Gyarados while the remaining EVs are dumped into her HP for some much needed bulk.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower

Your typical Assualt Vest Azumarill and my teams Answer to Heatran, Keldeo, Lando, Mega Gyarados, Medicham and heracross as well as any special attack Umbreon Cant handle. Adding much needed Priority to my otherwise slow team Team Azu give's me many oppurtunities to revenge kill simply place offensive pressure to my oppenents. Being a 2nd fairy Azu complments the core by adding much needed physical pressure and taking hits for Goth that clef couldn't take herself. Aqua jet is priority, Waterfall and play rough are stabs while Superpower lets me nail Steels on the switch as well as another way to beat chansey

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

My teams Bulky Pivot and answer to Electrics. This was originally gyarados but after he proved nearly useless while laddering (Seriously it felt like playing with 5 pokemon) I made the Switch to Lando Whom has proved useful everygame. His inclusion freed Clef up to run Stored Power since lando could easily run rocks, He checks birds and he synergised well with Goth thanks to U-turn scouting out the enemy to safely bring in the Trapper. Speed Evs and nature are so I could Speed Tie Unevolved Modest Mane as well beat Neutral natured 100's. Everything else is typical lando T

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

My teams mega choice and a much needed fix for my teams lack of Speed. It acts as both an offensive Pivot and a fast revenge killer that checks birds while working well with Gothitelle and Clef by either Volt switching into advatage for them or eliminating a key threat such as Excadrill. Like lando there is rarely an occasion where he doesn't prove useful be it as a lead, Something to punish clever switch ins with thunder wave or just providing momentum he always does something. The Moveset is simple maximum coverage to hit maximum number of targets and thunder wave to cripple opposing pokemon early game.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Your probably asking Why umbreon and Not Chansey. Well the answer is simple I needed a wish Cleric who could keep the team alive while providing offensive pressure so as it could not be set up apon by oppurtunitic Physical sweepers as well as beating genger, Greninja, The Lati's, Lando-I and could deal with the mew pokemon whom would otherwise give me great trouble and a way to say Screw you Scald. Umbreon has fufilled the role in leaps and bounds and until I got above 1600 was my teams glue. The set is designed to maximise special defensive potential while maintaining just enough Def Evs to survive a flare blitz from Zard X at full health so that it can be revenged via foul play. Wish and Heal bell are obvious while protect lets Umbreon avoid 2hkos and Scout.

Team Strengths
- Minimal damage from Knock off and scald
- Breaks Stall
- Beats most physical set up pokemon tho there are exception such as mega swampert
- Beats most fighting, psychic or dark Type orientated cores
Major ThreatList
-
Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria and Mega Diancie and Bisharp are all pokemon who give me trouble: If I lose Azu To early Im almost certain to get annihilated by these. They have a field day with me
- Offensive Scoliopede (Seriously It destroys me)
- Mega Lopunny (I never fought I would fear fighting a freaking Lopunny. Screw you gamefreak for turning my butt of jokes into a viable pokemon)
- Sand Offence
- Otherall lack of Speed.
List for Porting: http://pastebin.com/ZX6nQMMg

Closing Remarks: Thats my team Not much more to say. I will try to add Replays soon (Looking for best quality ones from the teams recent incarnation) and the teams build history and I will also state that as ORAS dawns umbreon is starting to lose its luster thanks to ever more fairies and crocunes appearing everywhere but I'll leave it there. Rate the team, Leave tips and tell me what you guys think

Last edited:
Mega Beedrill bait a little. The only things saving you on that front is Lando (and Azumarill's Aqua Jet, but even she can't safely switch in with the major Poison Jab risk). Also, as much as I love Clefable, the CM set is a tad redundant now since Megagross and Gunk Shot Greninja, her set-up scenarios have taken quite the dip so it's a lot harder for her to be useful now. I'd recommend you run Calm Heatran as your lead and turn Lando-T into your Scarfer. Hope it works out.

Thanks for the reply. Honestly megadrill doesnt bother me. it rarely if ever does anything once stealth rock is up and even then 2 intimidators check it easy. Metagross and gren however (whom likely be suspected.) are huge pains to the point ive considered droping azu for bisharp.

I do like the idea of maybe adding heatran but what to drop for it if I do it?

Clef, for the reasons we mentioned: Geninja and Megagross bait. Her reliable set-up took a bit of a nose dive and you already have Azu for muscle-powered Fairy hits. Umbreon isn't the best either because Fairy and Fighting are dirt common and he can be left as Taunt bait quite a bit, there are more reliable walls that are more effective, Chansey can run almost the same set only much tankier, or you could run Mandibuzz to keep Foul Play and Taunt shit to nullify stall and set-up (fuck Baton Pass). So yeah, I think Clef and Umbreon are your two weakest links.

I cant drop clef as she is what my team is based around and few other pokemon can apply the pressure she does in the way she does. but i can drop umbreon for heatran (tho im not sure how i would function without a cleric or my gren check) and see how it works. Thanks Der Twist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)