ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think I'm balding from SR-ing Ray. While it doesn't matter as much since you can't use it in battle spot anyway, I was REALLY upset when after all those cutscenes I ended up with 30 Speed.

Finally made it to Primal Kyogre (though I KO'd it since I want to SR it later). All I have to say is WOW. The theme is incredible and I love how they added bits from the original music into the remix. It fit perfectly with the entire situation at that point in the game. It was even difficult trying to KO Primal Kyogre without losing a pokemon of mine... I had to get lucky and get 3 Calm Mind's off on Gardevoir; Magical Leaf was a clean 3HKO after Aqua Ring recovery. But I lost it and narrowly beat Kyogre with Mega Swampert. It was truly a challenge; I love what Game Freak has done with this game!!!

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't know how this worked in previous games, but NEVER use Knock Off on wilds with items. Even if you catch them the item will be gone, as I found out while catching a Skarmory that the DexNav said had a Metal Coat.

On an unrelated note, iPhone autocorrect can seriously fuck off for Pokemon names.

I've got a few questions, the first of which is, should I keep this Rayquaza? I don't battle competitively but I do like the option to so I try to get the best IVs I can.

Jolly, 31/31/23~24/23~24/10/31. I feel like it's a good one, except that Special Defense. Is it worth SRing again? Will the lower Special Defense make that big of a difference? I plan on using a SD or DD set, if that helps.

Another question, does soft resetting give you better IVs than soft resetting, or is it just a time saver? I've always heard about people SRing to get great IVs and shiny Pokemon and such, but I've never known why or how it works or anything but it's always piqued my interest. I've got some legends on my White-2 that I haven't caught yet so even a brief explanation or a link would work wonders. I'll go ahead and apologize in advance, I know this question is completely irrelevant, I just didn't really know where to post this and I hate posting in more than one thread at a time.

Do the odds of finding Hidden Abilities go up as you encounter the same Pokemon again with the DexNav? Or is it still somewhat random like in XY?

Is there a place in-game to find Dittos?

Does Mespirit respawn if you defeat it and then beat the Elite 4 again as well?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've got a few questions, the first of which is, should I keep this Rayquaza? I don't battle competitively but I do like the option to so I try to get the best IVs I can.

Jolly, 31/31/23~24/23~24/10/31. I feel like it's a good one, except that Special Defense. Is it worth SRing again? Will the lower Special Defense make that big of a difference? I plan on using a SD or DD set, if that helps.

Another question, does soft resetting give you better IVs than soft resetting, or is it just a time saver? I've always heard about people SRing to get great IVs and shiny Pokemon and such, but I've never known why or how it works or anything but it's always piqued my interest. I've got some legends on my White-2 that I haven't caught yet so even a brief explanation or a link would work wonders. I'll go ahead and apologize in advance, I know this question is completely irrelevant, I just didn't really know where to post this and I hate posting in more than one thread at a time.

Do the odds of finding Hidden Abilities go up as you encounter the same Pokemon again with the DexNav? Or is it still somewhat random like in XY?

Is there a place in-game to find Dittos?

Does Mespirit respawn if you defeat it and then beat the Elite 4 again as well?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I'll answer what I know.

Don't SR for Gen 5, rng it.

I won't sr for Ray, since only place that I might need it would be for Ubers, and there's no pentagon request, so my current Ray will do. I'll only SR for mons that can be used at VGC.

And SR is faster than regular resetting, thus why it's done

Rash Kyogre (that's the only Synchronizer I have >.>)

20~22/31/27~28/31/0~2/31

Toss or keep? >.>

Note: I'm not going to use it like ever, but I still want decent stats on it. I'm just weird like that.

Lol don't use a Rash Synchronizer. Toss it and SR the old fashioned way or just KO it and come back after the E4.
Hmm. I'll toss it then. And I'll go check my box in Y for a different Synchronizer. Should I go for Modest or Timid?

EDIT: o.O I have both Modest and Timid Synchronizers in Y. Gonna transfer them then...

Last edited:

DragonWhale

is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll put here an easy guide to SR-ing Rayquaza, because I had a lot of trouble with it at first.

- Prepare a synchronizer (obviously) this guide assumes jolly
- Prepare a pokemon with 173 speed. This can be the synchronizer or you can make the synchronizer faint and lead the party. If the latter, put the 173 speed in slot 2
- Have only 5 pokemon available so you don't have to keep sending pokemon to the PC
- Start the battle. If your 173 speed outspeeds, then it's not max speed -> run away. Running away is a lot faster than resetting.
- Rayquaza respawns and repeat.
- Masterball is not mandatory, but will make things easier
- Once you catch it, check the stats while fighting Zinnia. If you don't like it, reset.

Unrelated note: apparently, one lap around the resort = 256 steps. That's so cool and useful.

I'll put here an easy guide to SR-ing Rayquaza, because I had a lot of trouble with it at first.

- Prepare a pokemon with 173 speed. This can be the synchronizer or you can make the synchronizer faint and lead the party. If the latter, put the 173 speed in slot 2
- Have only 5 pokemon available so you don't have to keep sending pokemon to the PC
- Start the battle. If your 173 speed outspeeds, then it's not max speed -> run away. Running away is a lot faster than resetting.
- Once you catch it, check the stats while fighting Zinnia. If you don't like it, reset.

Unrelated note: apparently, one lap around the resort = 256 steps. That's so cool and useful.
Are you sure? My Rayquaza is Jolly with 31 Speed and has a stat of 174. Made sure it fainted during both following fights too, so I know it has 0 EVs.

Timid Kyogre

29 - 31 / 29 - 31 / 12 - 13 / 29 - 31 / 29 - 31 / 29 - 31

F*** I can't tell.

Oh well. I suppose that's good enough.
That's a great catch! Good job!

Sorry for double notifications, needed to edit my first post but my computer is a piece of trash and deleted the whole comment somehow.

This is very solid advice. I'd like to add that you can transfer in a Rayquaza through pokebank so you can skip the Pokedex registration.

DragonWhale

Are you sure? My Rayquaza is Jolly with 31 Speed and has a stat of 174. Made sure it fainted during both following fights too, so I know it has 0 EVs.
Please read carefully.

If anyone's having trouble getting Cresselia's Island to appear, follow these easy steps:
1) Save your game while your offline and you have no posts in your TVNav. If you do have posts, you need to wait for tomorrow.
2) Turn forced save off and go online
3) Receive the posts on your TVNav and receive a bunch of new mirage spots
4) If Cresselia's one doesn't appear, reset

Is there a list of what new pokes appear where after CoO?

Or rather, is there a list of which routes don't have new pokes? I tend to not bother catching evolved pokemon since it's somewhat pointless, so some routes may not have a gold crown in spite of me already having caught everything else there.

Disregard. The crown becomes diamond/platinum after everything's caught. :/

Last edited:
Trying to catch Thundurus. My plan is to lead with my level 15 Oddish, use Sleep Powder, switch to level 65 Sceptile, Mega Evolve, use Dual Chop, throw Ultra Balls. Of course, it's very luck dependent. Any advice?

Trying to catch Thundurus. My plan is to lead with my level 15 Oddish, use Sleep Powder, switch to level 65 Sceptile, Mega Evolve, use Dual Chop, throw Ultra Balls. Of course, it's very luck dependent. Any advice?
Consider abusing Timer Balls. They max out at 10 turns now.

Didn't notice this the first time around but the credits you're not able to skip are actually pretty neat. The map basically retells the story of your playthrough, with action shots of the Pokemon you used against each particular Gym Leader/boss trainer.

For those looking to SR Thundurus I have the following advice:

-save in Fortree City
-set the Eon Flute to Y and have it be the only registered item
-have a Bibarel or Swoobat with 143 speed, Unaware and Taunt.
-activate the Eon Flute and trigger the encounter
-use Taunt on the first turn, if you outspeed it reset
-if you did not outspeed and Thundurus used an attacking move catch it
-if Thundurus used a non-damaging move use Taunt again and see if you outspeed it
-after capturing make a turn to the right and land on route 120 to check the Thundurus

The reason you need a Pokemon with Unaware is because Thundurus carries Agillity...
Game Freak did not make this one easy.

EDIT: Wait, does Unaware ignore speed these days? If not, just always catch it when it uses Agillity on the first turn.

Last edited:
Question:

Can you use a Synchronizer to affect the nature of the gifted Latios/Latias you get in the main story?

If not, SRing is going to be stupidly tedious...

Ok. This may sound like a very silly question, but...

How the heck do you start a new game? The options are to Continue, and some link stuff. So how do you start over? I dl'd the game, does that affect anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)