ORAS OU Mega-Sceptile Beast in Disguise

Alright so here's another ORAS team. A lot of people have been making/posting them lately, and I need a little help with this one. It's worked out really well for me, and I've gotten good results. The only thing I've really had trouble with are volt-turn cores, since ya know, it's a hyper-offense team. But lets just get right into it with the team.

images.jpg

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute

Alright the main man, Mega-Scep. So this set has worked out pretty well, if you come in to revenge kill something that is very afraid of you, such as rotom-w, you can just put up a sub on the switch so you don't get OHKO'd with your average defenses. Scep can also put in A LOT of damage, and can sweep teams late game with a sub up. The only real thing stopping Scep with a sub up, is skarmory and heatran, so those are some things to watch out for.

imgres.jpg

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: ATK 252/ DEF 24/ SPE 232
JOLLY
Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

A lot of people really don't show Crawdaunt the love that it deserves. It's bulkier than you think, and can OHKO leftovers Slowbro with knock off! I know you won't believe me, and want to calc it yourself, but here you go.
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 385-458 (97.7 - 116.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Boom. Crawdaunt is a monster, and break almost every physical wall with just one swords dance, and sweep in the game fairly early. Ferrothorn, not even you can stop Crawdaunt. But yeah Crawdaunt is an amazing poke and works very well with Scep, to help break down walls, and potentially sweep.

images-1.jpg

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Ok, so I know everyone hates Skarm and all of that, but it really is a great check to Mega-Mence, and that's it's role on my team. It can also stop a lot of other physical threats, and set up rocks which is a great help to this team, and Crawdaunt's ability to sweep. Whirlwind is to stop Skarm from not being set-up fodder, and to help phase out pokemon to get stealth rock damage. Just be careful of Magnezone and try not to get trapped.

imgres-1.jpg

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
JOLLY Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Alright, scarf Terrakion is a great edition to this team, and can revenge kill a lot of pokemon. After the enemy team fodders something off, they usually switch into greninja if they don't think you're scarfed yet, (because every team has greninja) so you can usually just get a free couple kills. This set also works really well because it can also pick off Clefable after it's gotten worn down enough. A lot of people aren't running scarf Terrakion so it's a surprise factor, and even if it isn't, it can still work very well.

imgres-2.jpg

Starmie @ LEFTOVERS
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/ 224 SPE/ 32 SPA
TIMID
Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- SCALD
- Recover

Alright Starmie's role on this team is basically to wall some stuff, spin away hazards, and put in some damage. This defensive Starmie set actually isn't running any speed which most people find off putting, but it can work well. It does have some problems with Rotom-W, but as long as it's not specs and doesn't run thunderbolt, you should be fine with just using recover. Alright but this Starmie is Spd defensive, and can take hits from Latias, recover or hit back with an ice beam. It also is a great spinner, and can put in a lot of damage. Most people think that Tentacruel can replace Starmie on this ream, and that's true. But, Starmie packs more of a punch, and gets recovery, so I like it much better. This set works very well with Skarmory, although both of them are quite weak to Mega-Manectric, so you can usually just bait them into Mega-Scep, and then set up a sub. Although be careful.

imgres-3.jpg

Talonflame @ Sky Plate
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- SWORDS DANCE

Talonflame, what a legend. A great revenge killer, and a win condition on most teams. Everyone already knows how to use Talonflame already so I don't think I really need to go into detail. His job is to just pick off some pokemon, get a few revenge kills, and maybe sweep if T-Tar, Heatran and Rotom-W are gone. You can also U-Turn to gain offensive momentum.

Alright so that was my team! I hope you guys like it, it has a few problems with it, but it works pretty well. Mega-Sceptile is a threat that most people forget about, so it's usually a huge threat to some teams. I hope you guys like it and try to see what can be improved!

Importable
Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Serious Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Recover

Talonflame @ Sky Plate
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Last edited:
To be honest, I find Skarmory and defensive Starmie a bit offputting, but once Mence is gone, this team be changed to fix that. For now, replace Skarmory's Leftovers with Shed Shell, which allows you to escape being trapped by Magnezone (which is everywhere).

I would Crawdaunt a lot more speed to it can outspeed Skarmory and Rotom-W so it can hit them before they attack. 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe Jolly allows you to speedcreep on Rotom-W while still outspeeding Skarmory, allowing you to KO these threats at +2. You miss out on some power by going Jolly, but Crawdaunt really wants to outspeed these threats and KO them for Sceptile and Talonflame.

I honoestly think this team could go more in an offensive direction by switching Starmie to offensive and switching Skarmory to a different Stealth Rock user, though once Mega Mence is banned, we can address that issue without any repurcussions.

For now, make the changes I suggested on Skarmory and Crawdaunt, and you should be good. Good luck!

Scotti

we back.
Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

I agree with Alfalfa on the ev change.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird
- Roost

I also agree with him on shed shell.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Jolly terrakion allows you to outspeed scarf lando-t scarf garchomp, and speed tie with base 108 scarfers. I would rather outspeed them, so if you need to finish one of them off you can actually be able to revenge kill them.

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Hp / 224 Spe / 32 SpAtk
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Recover

This is the standard set for defensive starmie. I don't think assault vest is the best change, because it lack recovery. With recover it gives you a check to mega metagross, and is generally better. I also like scald for scald burns.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

We talked about this, so you know already. SD tflame would help a lot. When you need to clean up late game, you can bring tflame. SD tflame also helps more against stall. Stall is where your team as trouble, so the addition of SD talon and SD Crawdaunt should help. Also Sharp Beak sounds a lot cooler then Sky Plate.
Hope I helped.

Your team, like many other mega sceptile teams looks to have a problem taking down fairies. Maybe try running lo taunt 3 attack gengar to help deal with them.

I'm not too keen on Assault Vest Starmie; you gain an awkward amount of special bulk since your EV spread is offensive while losing out on a lot of power. There are really few 'mons that I can think of off the top of my head that Assault Vest Starmie actually helps tank, with or without the vest. For that reason, I would suggest Life Orb Analytic Starmie over your current set. This gives it some much needed boosted power, and you still can take on the 'mons Starmie was meant to check, such as Keldeo. If you're really worried about keeping your Starmie alive, you can replace Ice Beam with Recover and keep Natural Cure, though I'm not sure if you will find the time to Recover on an offensive Starmie - I'd much rather be firing off Hydro Pumps.

Code:
Starmie @ Life Orb/Leftovers (if you want a middleground between staying power and damage)
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
Also, Leaf Storm is often reserved on Mega Sceptile for its mixed Wallbreaker set (which is just, in my opinion, it's best set). For the sub set, I would recommend Giga Drain over Leaf Storm. This allows Scept to gain back HP lost from creating subs as well as giving it a more consistent Grass STAB since you are staying in and preferably firing off multiple attacks behind the sub, rather than hitting and running like the Wallbreaker set.

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Giga Drain
- Substitute

Lastly, I'm always a big fan of shed shell in this trapper meta, so I definitely would give it a try on your Skarmory. This will help ease prediction on your part since you no longer have to risk double switching out from Skarm, and it will allow you to roost off damage as you let the Magnezone come in.

Good luck, friend! :)

Hey :]

I like your team a lot, tbh. Just a few suggestions:

-Adamant --> Jolly on Talonflame + 168 EV's in speed, allowing it to outspeed ScarfZone, Raikou and Thudurus, which is kind of important unless you're mising out on any ohkos.

-Greninja is quite threatening and your team hasn't a good switch in to it. If it becomes too problematic, I'd say Starmie --> Tentacruel just for that reason. Tent can also help with Clefable, which is a bit of a nuisance to your team, especially CM variants.

-If intent on using Starmie, I highly recommend the following change: Ice Beam --> Reflect Type. This, as you already may know, allows Starmie to spin on Ferrothorn and 1v1 it factoring in Scald burns, escape Pursuit, and potentially check Bisharp, which is not too shabby. But for now, in this mence meta, Ice Beam might have to stay.

I hope this helped you out.

Last edited:

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yea most sceptile teams have trouble dealing damage to fairies and having a scarfed terrakion is not going to help you with that. Locking yourself into a fighting move that's relatively weak* is miserable.

I think having a CB scizor replace it could benefit you more. although scizor can't really beat azumarill, you have skarmory and starmie to take hits from it and sceptile actually beats that anyway. Scizor handles clefable/gardevoir much better than terrakion although you can't be reckless and switch it in directly every time.

*CC on a resist is going to do 0 damage

Yea most sceptile teams have trouble dealing damage to fairies and having a scarfed terrakion is not going to help you with that. Locking yourself into a fighting move that's relatively weak* is miserable.

I think having a CB scizor replace it could benefit you more. although scizor can't really beat azumarill, you have skarmory and starmie to take hits from it and sceptile actually beats that anyway. Scizor handles clefable/gardevoir much better than terrakion although you can't be reckless and switch it in directly every time.

*CC on a resist is going to do 0 damage
Thank you so much! I watch all of your videos man it's an honor for you to reply! I will definitely make that change to the team, and it should really help. Hopefully I get to battle you some time :] Stay chimpin'

If you want skarm to counter mence, use shed shell over lefties. With lefties, zone traps you and then you lost your check. Shed shell let's you get away, and then go into sceptile or the +1 if you can correctly predict the electrc move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)