The Smogon University "University" Thread

Aelita

Return To The Past, Now~
is a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Senior Terp being called in by Pwnemon , graduating May 2015 (assuming I pass my classes, I'm taking 20 credits and working 20 hours @ McKeldin...)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I got a scholarship to study in Trinity College in Dublin, but currently I'm doing an "international foundation year" that all international students (at least for TCD and UCD) have to go through and pass in order to actually get in the college. Currently majoring in Human Genetics but i'm planning on switching to Genetics in general since its easier, better, and could allow me to specialize in human genetics later.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
finished 3rd year a week ago majoring in phys chem / chem phys at the university of melbourne. working at the uni as a sort of ra over summer until i start hons next year.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Speaking of school mascots, any Broncos here?

(broncos as in Cal Poly Pomona, not whatever other school has a Bronco as their mascot)

Anyway, at my college, good luck getting any of the classes you need, especially if you're an engineering student. Need that class on engineering digital computations? Too bad, all of the grand total of three courses they have for it are full, now get on the waitlist at position number 50. Okay, yeah, that last part is exaggerated as hell, but you get my point. I knew this school would be impacted.... Well, it's in Southern California. Non-impacted universities don't exist here.

Triple integrals suck by the way, I'm going to have to retake this class because I'm gonna fail... Lesson learned, actually fucking do the homework and don't be a lazy-ass

breh

強いだね
UCSD second year chem e major here; I am doing better gradeswise in fluid mechanics than my babby's first ceng class, oh well. regardless, fuck turbulence. also, fuck humanities. anybody in high school reading this, if you apply to UCSD I swear to god choose muir and don't look back

taking 5 classes is fun even if only like, 2.5 of them require actual effort

anybody know anything about minoring in math? pretty strongly considering that but I have a lot of options with respect to what I can take classwise

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Senior in Computer Engineering at University of Illinois here. Gonna graduate in the spring semester, still looking for a job pretty much anywhere (both in fields and location).

Lavos

Banned deucer.
hi im a freshman at the esteemed carroll college in montana USA. i was gonna go to a big deal school last year but decided to do foreign exchange in sweden for a year and i decided i didnt want to pay out the ass for stanford so im going to a top 50ish school for free instead!!

2x majoring in european history and economics, then going to law school and hopefully getting a job. only 7 ish years left heh. also i have 5 classes but only 1 of them is real and challenging idk why econ is a joke but it feels like one

Like how if you went to OSU you might refer to yourself as a "buckeye" or if you went to harvard you might refer to yourself as a "pompous douchebag," we call ourselves terps because that is our mascot

Edit: just saw aura guardian's post, but i'm leaving this here because fuck ivies
I'm gonna need to eat some ice cream to wash out the bitterness in this post and I don't even go to an ivy league school.

junior in college here, double majoring in ECE and physics. I was gonna triple major with computer science but my school told me I wasn't allowed to. probably a good choice. I came in hellbent on getting a Ph.D in physics but now I'm really not so sure I want 6 more years of thankless labor, so I'm feeling lost.

McGrrr do you have any wisdom on how to develop that work ethic you mentioned? Reading through your hindsight posts it looks like I'm on the same path you were on, minus the whole getting it together part. How did you manage to shift yourself into a mindset of actually trying?

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
McGrrr do you have any wisdom on how to develop that work ethic you mentioned? Reading through your hindsight posts it looks like I'm on the same path you were on, minus the whole getting it together part. How did you manage to shift yourself into a mindset of actually trying?
I was the smart kid at school. That was my identity. I was the kid who got top grades despite never studying, so I was complacent. A-levels should have been my wake up call - I "Asian failed" them and wound up at a second rate university. Unfortunately, I only came to my senses during third year.

In a moment of self-awareness, I realised that I wasn't as intelligent as I thought, and that coasting along just wouldn't be good enough. For the first time in my life, I felt stupid, but accepting that I knew nothing was more painful than I'd like to admit, because that veil of intelligence was my identity and the source of my self-worth.

I opened my textbook; it smelled like new. Initially, everything was a struggle, because I lacked discipline and my efforts were unstructured. I realised that I didn't just have to learn, I had to first learn how to learn (thanks to 14 years of slacking). The turnaround involved a lot of self-analysis and determination, but also required confidence in my ability.

Cliffnotes: Self-awareness -> Admission of underachievement -> Analysis of weaknesses -> Confidence + Determination -> Progress.

The second time that I felt stupid was when I started working in London, but that's another story.

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Stath I can chime in here too, I coasted through high school and through most of the first two years of University; doing assignments the night before they were due, just doing enough work to get a half-decent grade; not studying if a course I was taking didn't interest me. Grades ended up being average but nothing special at all. That was my whole shtick, I was the smart kid who didn't really care enough to do anything more than what was required.

The key for me was identifying something I wanted to do going forward that my grades needed to be higher to achieve. I'm targeting applying for a dual concentration program by the end of next year but my GPA was a full point lower than where it needed to be to be accepted into the change of program elements. By finding something that I wanted to be a part of both out of my own personal interest and also for the benefit of my future career options I was able to find a new focus and drive my grades over an A average to the point where I'm on track to increase my GPA greater than that full point within the year.

The key for me was deciding that it was time to start giving a shit about something in my life, identifying what facet of my degree I enjoyed more and targeting a goal involving that, and using that goal as a motivator to drive my work motivation. I'd always had the capacity to excel but it was a matter of finding something to motivate me. Once I started achieving the high grades I was capable of it became an expectation that since I was capable of achieving, I would achieve it.

tl;dr find something to work towards and to motivate yourself to excel

Finished my bachelors in Mechanical Engineering, currently doing a masters degree at Brunel university in Petroleum engineering

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm definitely going through the same thing that McGrrr described. I kinda coasted through high school with no effort whatsoever; hell, I got an A in AP Calculus despite spending most of my time sleeping in the class. I also coasted through my first year of college pretty effortlessly, once again mostly doing shit other than paying attention in class, so I kind of developed some arrogance, thinking "I don't even need to try and I'll do well." However, currently I'm pretty much guaranteed to fail Calc-I've-Fucking-Lost-Count-By-Now after getting a measly 20% on the second midterm. At first I chalked it up to my anxiety issues worsening, but then I realized that the real reason was that the shit I had been doing just wasn't going to fucking work. So, really, I just need to get a "Patrick, get your shit together" plan for next quarter, and right now that mostly chalks up to actually scheduling my time so I don't end up playing ORAS and Smash Wii U until 4 am and actually doing my fucking homework. Oh, and maybe going to the library to do homework instead of spending all of my non-class time in my apartment.

I've posted in a couple of these threads about my education but I have a bit more direction now given that I'm actually starting coursework for my major of choice. I'm a third year nanoengineering major at the University of Toronto, generally structuring my course work to focus on the physics defining and application of materials polymers.

One of the areas I find most interesting/exciting is macromoleculer self-assembly, and I'm going to be doing some sort of work in the field over the next year at a lab doing research on self assembling polymer design for cancer drug delivery. My school allows for a one year coop, so I'll either be doing a research year or just a summer of work prior to my fourth year at a lab, I haven't quite decided/sorted out the logistics, which is just the result of me being unsure if I want to jump into graduate school right away or take the year now to assess my feelings on the area as a whole.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)