Other ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread - Check post #2359

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes because Infernape totally has Protean and can outspeed the majority of the unboosted metagame. Nowadays Greninja in OU is kinda like Weavile in UU before it got the axe - it simply breaks so many walls and is able to support its team very well.

Have you ever tried switching your physical wall into a Glalie?

252+ Atk Refrigerate Glalie Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 151-178 (45.2 - 53.2%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Refrigerate Glalie Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 178-210 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 168-198 (55.2 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I mean yeah it can be dead weight against offensive teams, but don't ever accuse it of not hitting hard enough.
And a bunch of other things hit much harder. There is no reason to use a pokemon this bad when you have four far superior options. Especially with mence gone. Walls evaporate when faced with the other wall breaker megas

Again, still doesn't have the raw power M-Lucario had with it's stabs, due to Adaptability. Also, other things already had Gunk Shot, like Infernape, yet it got down to UU. Just saying.

Can't see it doing that with low defenses, and being revenge killed by common Scarfers.
How are you going to compare Greninja to Infernape? Greninja has a higher speed, allowing to outspeed more threats and has free STAB with every move it uses. It has Hydro Pump, Gunk Shot, Grass Knot/Hidden Power Grass, Hidden Power Fire, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Extrasensory, Low Kick. With that type of variety of moves, its' ability getting free STAB on everything, and it's ability to hit almost every mon' with super-effective move unlike Infernape, I'd say your Infernape comparison to Greninja is inferior.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ok this is just so wrong its not even funny ._.

Again, still doesn't have the raw power M-Lucario had with it's stabs, due to Adaptability. Also, other things already had Gunk Shot, like Infernape, yet it got down to UU. Just saying.
no, ninja isnt as powerful as luke. thats true. ninja is still pretty powerful with stab everything and a great speed tier. thast the point the others are trying to make. gunk shot allows ninja to get past the defensive fairies that used to wall him. thats about it, honestly.

Can't see it doing that with low defenses, and being revenge killed by common Scarfers.
this is also false, because greninja just has to outspeed 'x' mon and have a SE coverage move to Ko that mon. his defenses dont mean anything unless he fails to KO or is outsped.

fuck this post makes me look like a hypocrite >.>

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Why does it have to have power equivalent to that of Mega Lucario??? If that was the case with Ninja, it would have been banned a long time ago. Also its low defenses hardly ever play much of a role because it has little issuing OHKO most of what's found on offensive teams, and it outspeeds many of them as well. The only common Scarfers that revenge kill it are Keldeo and Landorus-T, the latter not being able to switch into it while the former is 2HKOed by Gunk Shot.

Have you even played OU lately? The reason Gunk Shot was a significant addition to Ninja's movepool is because it allows it to beat Pokemon it couldn't before, such as Azumarill, Mega Gard, Sylveon, Clefable, and 2HKO AV Conk. Gunk Shot does hardly anything for Nape because Flare Blitz already hits most of the Fairy-types hard, with the exception of Azumarill which can already shit on it with Aqua Jet anyway. I highly recommend you use Ninja more before you continuing posting about it.

Okay I should probably stop lol.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Can we shut the hell up about Greninja? This discussion about whether should it drop or not is lame... Greninja should definitely be S+ rank with all the boosts it got in ORAS and how effective is against offense.

Back to Latios, Calm Mind + Draco Meteor Mega Latios lure sets are quite good in this meta imo, as Mega Latios has a much easier time boosting than his regular form due to its improved defenses. For example, Greninja can no longer OHKO +1 Mega Latios, while Draco Meteor will promptly OHKO back. Same for Mega Sableye, Mega Gallade and Gengar. Even Mega Gyara and Zard-Y will be OHKOed. Bisharp isn't safe either, as +1 DM can OHKO after SR. It should also be noted that +1 HP Fire has just enough juice to OHKO Ferrothorn. All this without Life Orb recoil. However, you DO NOT want to play it as a sweeper, but rather as a wallbreaker which really appreciates a Calm Mind boost for its Draco Meteor.

Mega Latios should go up to A-
This build of Mega Latios seems remarkably similiar to Life Orb Latias (especially in terms of damage output), and has better special bulk than Mega Latios which is where it matters; the boost in physical defense won't save Mega Latios from Bisharp's Sucker Punch. Not that I think Calm Mind + Draco Meteor is a particularly great wallbreaking combo, but even then Mega Latios has competition with Latias, or even Mega Latias, should it attempt Calm Mind boosting in any form. Most of the things you've mentioned aren't even great responses to Mega Latios (Mega Sableye and YZard in particular), so I don't know why you felt such a need to OHKO them.

Anyway I'm just going to reqoute my thoughts on Mega Latios's viability:
The thing about Mega Latios is that while it's not inherently worse than regular LO Latios, it is almost always the last choice you consider for a team, due to it having what is probably the highest opportunity cost to using a Mega. Mega Latios's upgrades are so minimal over regular Latios that it is hardly worth using it over pretty much any other potential Mega Evolution of Pokemon you have on your team; the only reason one would use Mega Latios is because they can (namely, if one does not already have a potential Mega on their team), but never really because they should.
In your case, your Calm Mind Mega Latios becomes a barely a significant upgrade over LO Calm Mind Latias instead, not that Calm Mind + Meteor sets are even popular.

EDIT: I'll run Greninja, now that M-Mence is gone, and then I'll check if my opinion changes. After actually using one, now that Mence is gone, I'll reformulate my opinion on it.
Wut..
Gren...lacking power....

Dafuq did I just read.

You better use Greninja. Thinking it's only use was to check mence....were you one of those guys running choice scarf gren in x/y

With mence gone, Greninja is now the best pokemon in the tier. You can slap him on any offensive team and it will do work.

This build of Mega Latios seems remarkably similiar to Life Orb Latias (especially in terms of damage output), and has better special bulk than Mega Latios which is where it matters; the boost in physical defense won't save Mega Latios from Bisharp's Sucker Punch. Not that I think Calm Mind + Draco Meteor is a particularly great wallbreaking combo, but even then Mega Latios has competition with Latias, or even Mega Latias, should it attempt Calm Mind boosting in any form. Most of the things you've mentioned aren't even great responses to Mega Latios (Mega Sableye and YZard in particular), so I don't know why you felt such a need to OHKO them.
Idk, you are mostly correct, but I hate that LO CM Latias takes LO recoil damage per turn, and thus is way more vulnerable to prio than Mega Latios (80/90 vs 80/100 + no LO recoil in Mega Latios' case). for example, Talon's Brave Bird OHKOes Latias after one round of LO recoil, while max attack Mega Scizor will 2HKO with BP for the same reason. Latias is also vulnerable to Knock Off (not just from Bisharp, mind you). As for CM + Draco Meteor Mega Latias, she cannot OHKO Ferrothorn or bulkier Mega Gyara sets at full health, and tbh she has better things to do (CM + Stored Power, offensive Defog), as she simply doesn't hit as hard as her brother.

I really Think that Mega Slowbro should rise to A+ rank. Has an unbelievable defense power to the point that outclasses Suicune. Suicune had crit problems, like against Keldeo , although he has pressure which is one of his best qualities. With Shell Armor, Mega Slowbro must not be worried about crits , due to this, has an higher rate of survival , supported by his incredible Defense and possibilities to setup with Calm Mind. Has a high Special Attack , which makes him more effective against some stallers like the big mom Chansey, that instead put Clefable and Suicune in damage problems , and a very dangerous threat against general pokemons. Has an insane Physical Defense, more than normal Slowbro which was hard to damage seriously with physical moves, so now it's very hard to damage Mega Slowbro to the point to put him in serious difficulties, with physical moves. I would not think about water absorbers , because they are mainly gimmick in the OU metagame. What to say, boosted Mega Slowbro walls safely almost all of the mons in the metagame if not all , and now that mega salamence is banned he will show his real qualities in the metagame.

Okay, I take back what I said. This game says everything. You guys are right:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-187219272
My opponent wasn't very good, but it proves I was wrong, and you guys were right. Thanks for opening my eyes to this top-tier poke.:v4:
Yeah, but that's a physical Greninja. Pssst. Physical Greninja sucks.
You obviously haven't seen how good the mixed set is. It's easily an S tier Pokémon. I don't think it's Ubers worthy, but it's defiantly S.
Also, hey alexwolf , Salamence is banned now, so are you going to make the changes to the OP?

I tried going Physical, cause I've always preferred that set, since it gets priority, and setup with PUPunch. I'll try mix next. Special as no difference, since it got nothing new with ORAS (correct me if I'm wrong)

EDIT: Is there mix set here on Smogon, and if not can anybody recommend me one? (Sorry if this is the wrong place).

EDIT: Is there mix set here on Smogon, and if not can anybody recommend me one? (Sorry if this is the wrong place).
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naïve Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick
- HP Fire
- Dark Pulse
(Thanks -Clone-)

Probably the best set. 40 Atk EVs allow the OHKO on Assault Vest Azumarill 100% of the time. Low Kick is for Chansey and Ferrothorn, while Dark Pulse is for Mew.

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 46 Atk / 206 SpA / 252 Spe
Naïve Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump / HP Fire
- Extrasensory / Dark Pulse

Probably the best set. 46 Atk EVs (I think that's right) allow the OHKO on Assault Vest Azumarill 100% of the time. HP Fire is for Ferrothorns if you need it. Extrasensory is for Mega Venusaur and Dark Pulse is for Mew, so pick your poison.
the set is 40 Atk / 216 SAtk / 252 Spe w/ low kick / gunk shot / ice beam / dark pulse. HP Fire and Extrasensory arent needed on the mixed set.

Yeah, but that's a physical Greninja. Pssst. Physical Greninja sucks.
You obviously haven't seen how good the mixed set is. It's easily an S tier Pokémon. I don't think it's Ubers worthy, but it's defiantly S.
Also, hey alexwolf , Salamence is banned now, so are you going to make the changes to the OP?
Alex is dead hon
He said he'd get back tomorrow; he's got a shitton of posts to read through but when that's over and done with we'll definitely see a massive post of changes.

Regarding Mega Glalie I would nominate him for C+, but I'd be fine with C if need be. The thing is while he doesn't last long, against Stall, Balance and BO he almost always gets two kills, and they are often important ones that make the rest of your team's job way easier, even if it necessitates using Explosion. Anyone arguing against Glalie's mixed wall breaking potential or that Freeze Dry is too weak, specifically try this set out first, taken from the Glalie thread.

Glalie@Glalidite
Refrigerate
Rash 220 At / 80 SpA / 208 Spd
~ Freeze Dry
~ Explosion/Double-Edge
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Shard/Double-Edge

Actually scratch Ice Beam, I forgot he gets Ice Shard. This is perfect to have allowing him to revenge Sceptile, Salamence, Garchomp, Landorus, etc, making him some neat wall-breaker/revenge killer combo. The real question is what combination of Explosion/Double-Edge/Ice Shard to have. Longevity isn't the issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if between SR and DE recoil he doesn't end up killing himself before getting to explode. And Explosion really is so significantly powerful it'd be stupid not to use it to get rid of a wall for a different sweeper like Dragonite, Terrakion, etc.

I think Double-Edge would be a better choice if her were faster or a BP recipient, but as it stands, I think the versatility of the above set is quite possible his best bet. The diverse nature of the moves puts intense pressure on the opponent to guess correctly switching in. Rotom-W would make a natural partner able to Volt Switch him in safely and take Fire and Steel moves, or possible Starmie/Tentacruel as a bulky Rapid Spinner.
And here's a wall of calcs for you.

220 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 328-387 (93.1 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
80+ SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 228 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 252-296 (63.3 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
220 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thick Fat Mamoswine: 294-346 (81.8 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
80+ SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 180-212 (49.8 - 58.7%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
220 Atk Glalie Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 244+ Def Tentacruel: 192-226 (53.1 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
220 Atk Glalie Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 384-456 (99.7 - 118.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
220 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 648-763 (100.9 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
80+ SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 138-163 (41.3 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
220 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 279-328 (83.5 - 98.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
220 Atk Glalie Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Jirachi: 202-238 (50 - 58.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
220 Atk Glalie Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 202-238 (74.2 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
220 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 244-288 (89.7 - 105.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
220 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Latias: 300-354 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
80+ SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 168-198 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
80+ SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 144-170 (47.3 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
80+ SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 16 HP / 240 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 128-152 (37.1 - 44%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
80+ SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 236-282 (73 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
80+ SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 304-360 (77.3 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
80+ SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Politoed: 152-180 (39.5 - 46.8%) -- 34% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
80+ SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 252-296 (84.2 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

And against offense, Ice Shard is great for some revenge kills, and a good answer especially for Scarf Lando-T and Mega Sceptile
220 Atk Glalie Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-T: 268-316 (84 - 99%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
220 Atk Glalie Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 304-364 (108.1 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So if you want to argue opportunity cost and trouble with HO teams, then granted. But its frailty doesn't come into play too much when it's such a kamikaze wall breaker whether you choose Double-Edge or Explosion, and it has just enough in its movepool to not be a one-trick pony, and honestly is one of the best wall breakers available. What else unboosted can OHKO Chansey with a neutral move? Anything that gets a near guarantee 2-for-1 trade off against several playstyles certainly should make you take a second look at viability. There are dozens of great non-Mega sweepers to choose from that Glalie can help pave the way for.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Nominating Mega Slowbro for A+ rank. It's defense is insane, but even though, granted, it's special defense isn't the best, it still has Calm Mind for that, which it can use to get max special attack and defense while it is in against a physical attacker. Even if the physical attacker switches into a special attacker, there is still a free turn to use Calm mind. Mega Slowbro's ability, Shell Armor, makes it even more of a defensive monster because it can't be attacked by critical hits now, so nothing can break through the possible +6 special defense, unless they know a phasing move or Clear Smog/Haze.

RichieTheAlmighty

Banned deucer.
So, MMence is banned. Fucking finally.
Now since that he is banned, I want to talk about a mega that may do much better after this ban.

Mega Lopunny.
The guy still has the obvious no resisted stabs, thanks to its amazing ability, Scrappy. It also has a great speed tier, allowing to outspeed 90% of all ORAS megas and threatening to OHKO some. It also rests on a decent 136 Attack stat, and most of its moves use its STABs for an advantage. But, the best part about this is that it does not need to run Ice Punch now after MMence is gone. Although hitting Lando T is nice, It can now run the Elemental Punches, PuP, Work Up, Drain Punch, etc. Lets not forget about Fake Out, which makes the pokemon flinch and gives it a free turn to either Mega Evolve or possibly stop a sweeper. It also has few things that can actually stop it, like things that are faster than it, some scarfers, and TFlame. It also doesnt need to worry about taking out MMence anymore, as Return OHKO's it

I can see this thing in A or maybe even A+ rank if we are really generous.

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay so I saw sugarhigh nomming this earlier in the XY thread, and it seemed like he was ignored, so I'd like to bring it back up again.

I think Mega Houndoom should be moved up to B rank. At first, I didn't really see any reason to run Mega Doom. It's fairly weak because it can't hold a boosting item, and its STAB moves are resisted by common Pokemon such as Greninja, Azumarill, and Tyranitar. On top of that, its got a pretty useless ability unless you're balzy enough to use it on a sun team or something. However, I started testing it a few days ago because I thought it had some potential I just wasn't seeing. Lone behold, I was surprised to see how it excelled quite well in most of my battles and how a lot of offensive teams can have trouble dealing with it. Its typing is actually really cool defensively and offensively, as it is able to stop Mew cold, one of the best support Pokemon in OU, and use it as set up fodder, as well as Mega Sableye, who can't really touch Mega Doom at all. On top of that, its ability Flash Fire, before Mega evolving is really useful, as it can set up on defensive Heatran with Taunt.

And that's the cool thing about Mega Doom. It has a few cool options which makes its last moveslot rather unpredictable and easy to tweak depending on your team. For example, the team I'm using in particular struggles a bit against defensive cores that carry Heatran. So to fix this, I used Taunt in the last moveslot so I can use it to grab a free NP boost and potentially sweep. Taunt is also useful against Chansey, because if you manage to pressure Chansey enough so that it becomes weakened, you might be able to actually bust through Chansey with Mega Doom, because once its Taunted it's forced to Seismic Toss you, so you can just continually do this until it's worn down to a point later in the match where you can set up on it and beat it. Taunt is also useful for preventing shit like CM Clefable and Mega Sableye from setting up on you, while you can return the favor. It also has other cool useful moves at its disposal, particularly Will-O-Wisp which lets you burn shit on the switch, such as Azumarill, Tyranitar, Dragonite, Mega Diancie, Mega Altaria, Mega Gyarados. Both moves are equally viable, and are all dependent on what your team needs and what your weaknesses are. If you find yourself struggling against defensive cores, then Taunt is preferred. However, Wisp lets you lure in its common switch-ins so that they're heavily crippled and you can potentially use them as set up fodder later on in the match for something else. There's other cool options such as Destiny Bond, which lets you suicide on Pokemon that you can't OHKO and eliminate them for the rest of the match, which can prove to be very useful.

All in all, Mega Doom is a heavily underrated Mega evolution that is greatly undermined for its lack of amazing coverage as well as a pretty mediocre ability, however it checks a lot of top tier threats in the current meta, such as the Lati twins, Slowbro, Ferrothorn, Mew, Heatran, Mega Venu, Mega Scizor, Gengar, Mega Metagross, and Mega Sableye. It can also disrupt a few common defensive Pokemon that give offensive teams trouble, and despite its somewhat subpar SpA stat, it can actually sweep quite frequently when given the right support. I just think Mega Doom fits a lot better with the B ranked Pokemon than many of the VERY niche Pokemon found in B- rank. It's better than most of them.

Also please refrain from commenting on Mega Doom if you've never used it before. Many of the arguments I see against it in the other thread clearly had no clue what specific niches and uses Mega Doom has, and simply stated all the common checks and counters it had while ignoring everything else.

Last edited:

RichieTheAlmighty

Banned deucer.
Okay so I saw sugarhigh nomming this earlier in the XY thread, and it seemed like he was ignored, so I'd like to bring it back up again.

I think Mega Houndoom should be moved up to B rank. At first, I didn't really see any reason to run Mega Doom. It's fairly weak because it can't hold a boosting item, and its STAB moves are resisted by common Pokemon such as Greninja, Azumarill, and Tyranitar. On top of that, its got a pretty useless ability unless you're balzy enough to use it on a sun team or something. However, I started testing it a few days ago because I thought it had some potential I just wasn't seeing. Lone behold, I was surprised to see how it excelled quite well in most of my battles and how a lot of offensive teams can have trouble dealing with it. Its typing is actually really cool defensively and offensively, as it is able to stop Mew cold, one of the best support Pokemon in OU, and use it as set up fodder, as well as Mega Sableye, who can't really touch Mega Doom at all. On top of that, its ability Flash Fire, before Mega evolving is really useful, as it can set up on defensive Heatran with Taunt.

And that's the cool thing about Mega Doom. It has a few cool options which makes its last moveslot rather unpredictable and easy to tweak depending on your team. For example, the team I'm using in particular struggles a bit against defensive cores that carry Heatran. So to fix this, I used Taunt in the last moveslot so I can use it to grab a free NP boost and potentially sweep. Taunt is also useful against Chansey, because if you manage to pressure Chansey enough so that it becomes weakened, you might be able to actually bust through Chansey with Mega Doom, because once its Taunted it's forced to Seismic Toss you, so you can just continually do this until it's worn down to a point later in the match where you can set up on it and beat it. Taunt is also useful for preventing shit like CM Clefable and Mega Sableye from setting up on you, while you can return the favor. It also has other cool useful moves at its disposal, particularly Will-O-Wisp which lets you burn shit on the switch, such as Azumarill, Tyranitar, Dragonite, Mega Diancie, Mega Altaria, Mega Gyarados. Both moves are equally viable, and are all dependent on what your team needs and what your weaknesses are. If you find yourself struggling against defensive cores, then Taunt is preferred. However, Wisp lets you lure in its common switch-ins so that they're heavily crippled and you can potentially use them as set up fodder later on in the match for something else. There's other cool options such as Destiny Bond, which lets you suicide on Pokemon that you can't OHKO and eliminate them for the rest of the match, which can prove to be very useful.

All in all, Mega Doom is a heavily underrated Mega evolution that is greatly undermined for its lack of amazing coverage as well as a pretty mediocre ability, however it checks a lot of top tier threats in the current meta, such as the Lati twins, Slowbro, Ferrothorn, Mew, Heatran, Mega Venu, Mega Scizor, Gengar, Mega Metagross, and Mega Sableye. It can also disrupt a few common defensive Pokemon that give offensive teams trouble, and despite its somewhat subpar SpA stat, it can actually sweep quite frequently when given the right support. I just think Mega Doom fits a lot better with the B ranked Pokemon than many of the VERY niche Pokemon found in B- rank. It's better than most of them.

Also please refrain from commenting on Mega Doom if you've never used it before. Many of the arguments I see against it in the other thread clearly had no clue what specific niches and uses Mega Doom has, and simply stated all the common checks and counters it had while ignoring everything else.
Not saying this is bad at all, actually i kinda like the thought of MHoundoom being B with his semi unique and good typing, his speed tier and an ability that is useless at first but can easily be used on sun teams. Just wanted to point out Aragorn the King also nommed MHoundoom also, if you wanted to check that out gary.

Mega-Swampert can not be stopped by teams HO and if I have not counter to this Pokémon I'll probably lose right? this is not centralize meta-game? yes it needs rain to sweep but if rain I will be detonated if using HO

Togekiss B- --> B
Togekiss checks/counters a fewof the new megas, such as Gallade, Sharpedo, Lopunny, Sceptile, and Swampert. Flying/Fairy typing is pretty unique, and provides some good resistances against common offensive types, such as fighting, dark, dragon, and more. Combined with roost, Togekiss can be used to a great extent.

Calcs:

252+ Atk Swampert Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 118-141 (31.6 - 37.8%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Sharpedo Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 114-135 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 117-138 (31.3 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Lopunny Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 129-153 (34.5 - 41%) -- 55.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Toge is a check in this situation)

Sceptile can't touch it so I see no reason to provide a calc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)