np: UU Stage 1 - Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
I've been using Aerodactyl as my Mega Evolution of choice for quite a while and, in my opinion, it is one of the most anti-metagame Pokemon right now. It lacks the resilience to serve as a primary counter to the threats running rampant, but it's still an outstanding check against an insane amount of common Pokemon, including Volcarona (and Fire spam in general), Staraptor (Choice Scarf doesn't 2HKO while Choice Band is slower), Togekiss (Thunder Wave is a bitch though), Lopunny / Beedrill (requires you to Mega Evolve before them, but if you do so you're golden), and probably some others. There's also the fact that the speed creep introduced in OR/AS only does wonders to Aerodactyl, as it still outruns all of the unboosted metagame.

However, it requires some support to function best. It's true that Aerodactyl does have self-recovery in the form of Roost, but hazard removal is vital for its effectiveness. It can't sweep on its own either (unless you're running Hone Claws, which isn't that good right now to be honest), so it pairs up really well with entry hazard support, solid win conditions, and strong wallbreakers. Personally, I've been running it along with bulky Volcarona, since it helps punishing revenge killers such as Jirachi (as well as Steel-types in general, although Earthquake can pick off a lot of those once they're weakened) who switch in on Aerodactyl often. Here's a sample set:

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost

The amount of Speed you should invest into is debatable. I like jumping on Jolly Mega Beedrill, but running an Adamant nature is fine as well, especially if you prefer the additional damage (although I think Jolly makes Aerodactyl's utility bigger, even before evolving. The damage loss is minimal too). You can also run any other move over any of the ones mentioned. Notable options include Fire Fang, Aqua Tail, Ice Fang, and Stealth Rock, but I've found this move combination to be the most efficient so far.

As a side note, Volcarona is pretty strong in this metagame too, since it finds a lot of set up opportunities against the Pokemon used to check all of the new threats, such as the aforementioned Jirachi, Aggron, and Fairy-types.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I'd like to talk about this guy here. I find Mega Aggron to be extremely useful in the current metagame. Its sheer physical bulk is just ridiculously useful right now, and this thing really walls a ton of stuff. It takes on Staraptor, Salamence, and Togekiss quite nicely (just be careful of something like Fire Blast). It also takes on physical variants of Mega Altaria, as well as Mega Beedrill, Mega Glalie, and several others. It's a really reliable Rocks setter thanks to its bulk and in addition to being able to wall a ton of stuff, it hits pretty hard with Heavy Slam, which is powerful coming from a Pokemon as heavy as Mega Aggron. Earthquake is nice too and Dragon Tail makes it a nice phazer. I have been running it in tandem with Aromatisse and Goodra and it's been doing great as a tank. I've been running this as a set:

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Dragon Tail

Basically the same set as it's been running in XY, but it's still an extremely useful tank. Throw in EVs into both defenses and you have one bulky monster in your hands. Heavy Slam is strong and phazing is always nice.

As a side note, I have been finding Fletchinder to be really good in UU right now. Like Mega Aggron it also takes on a lot of the new threats-it is the best offensive answer to Volcarona in the tier imo and it also owns Mega Gallade, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Sceptile with its priority Acrobatics. Will-O-Wisp is also good stuff to cripple Mega Aggron and the like. It's also been quite useful just like in RU imo.

eaglehawk , imo wait for a bit, I'm sure they will post one soon

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Dropped my Tenta/Sableye/Volc core for a more offensive one involving Diancie, who has significantly better offensive presence from the get-go. I'm really having trouble getting MSableye to work on anything other than stall. So far MDiancie has been an improvement, scaring off Staraptor and non-Giga Drain Volcarona (252 Volc has an 81% chance to OHKO with Giga Drain after a Quiver Dance).

I still want to reiterate how good MBeedrill is, though. People seem to consistently underestimate how hard it hits - offense rarely has anything that can switch into it, and even dedicated walls don't like taking hits from this thing. If you don't have a Steel type, you basically can't switch in to Beedrill, so toss on Magneton support and you're golden. I mean, Poison Jab 2HKOs offensive Crobat after rocks, and Knock Off + Poison Jab stands a good chance of 2HKOing 248/0 Crobat after rocks.

252 Atk Adaptability Beedrill Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 117-138 (37.6 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Beedrill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 141-167 (37.8 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Adaptability Beedrill Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 117-138 (31.3 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Also, with Protect it beats Scarf Mienshao one on one, as long as you have a teammate to take Stone Edge. Just use Protect to scout the move and stall out Stone Edge's PP (and to discourage HJK), and Mienshao will be forced to use Knock Off - which only deals 60-70% to you, while you OHKO with Poison Jab. I know beating a Scarfer like this isn't that big of a deal, but as Mienshao is up there with Darm and Hydreigon as the most common Scarfer, and as Scarfs and priority are the only way most offensive teams can deal with the Bee, I thought it was relevant.

Last edited:
After having more than a few matches (and also viewing many matches), I would like to post some of my thoughts on several pokemon :

(M) Altaria - The hype it received is justified and Altaria is probably the scariest, most threatening, one of the most suspect-worthy and versatile mega's to land on UU from the ORAS bunch. Regarding that last point, versatility, I've read in this thread mainly on it's undeniably great usage of the move Dragon Dance, but I would like to discuss it's special/supportive set and it is divine!​

Ability : Natural Cure -> Pixilate
- Hyper Voice
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Perish Song/Haze/Fire Blast​
This set capitalizes on (M)Altaria's superb defensive typing, which really at this point need no further explanation to see why and Hyper Voice excellent utility. Bypassing Substitute, (M)Altaria is able to counter SubCoil Zygarde, one of current's tier still most omnipresent threats, which I will elaborate as well later, as well as wreck plethora of prominent 'mons in UU such as Hydreigon, Salamence, Sableye and anything that doesn't resist it and can dish back enough damage really as Altaria is able to roost off easily most damage and support itself and it's team with Heal Bell. The innovative piece however is the usage of the move Perish Song, and it proved to be much more than gimmicky. Altaria's magnificent ability to survive most hits eases the task to keep it alive, and when just the opponent is down to it's last 'mon, no matter how threatening of a set-up sweeper it might be, Perish Song ensures the win. It also serves as an set-up sweepers check, most notably Volcarona, which Altaria resists both it's STABs and the coverage moves it usually carries (Giga Drain, HP Water), and dent any attempt at sweeping the Mothra try. Haze is also an option, which performs similarly and may be better at times, for example : the likes of Calm Ming Slowking/Reuniclus which surprise with having the Calm Mind, then switching to Altaria as they are already at +2/+2. The three turns timer Perish Song gives them is enough for them to wreck havoc, only to come back again later and continue. I neglected to mention Ev spread as I tried this set twice on different teams with various Ev spread - one was Modest and carried for a while Fire Blast instead, which I think was worse overall and really just misses on Forretress, which Altaria would have liked to stay in on and prevent spin/hazard setting, and the other was Calm. I'm not sure which fairs better as both having and lack of power and bulk are noticeable and/or appreciated.

Zygarde - Coming into ORAS, the snake is as fearsome as it was leaving XY. The shift gave him amazing coverage option to hit fairies in Iron Head, but frankly, I don't think it really needs it to shine and in fact, have no room for it really. I used only the SubCoil Adamant set and it works wonderfull, never a liability. As so many new threats like the mega's and the previously BL five landed into the ring, the average ladder is much less prepared to Zygarde as it was during it's test and thus Zygarde is more free to set-up on many opportunities and other times, just outright smash with Adamant Earthquakes. In two different teams, I paired him with a grounded poison type to soak and lay Tspikes (Nidoqueen, Tentacruel), and this combo still works great!

Bronzong - I really have nothing to add more about how great zong became in this meta, especially to more defensive teams as it appreciates Wish support. It has it's issues like fearing Knock Off and it's main attacking move, Gyro Ball, having such low PP but it's virtues currently outweigh it's weaknesses. However, I found trouble making good use out of GyroRocks' last two move-slots. I altered between Trick Room, Toxic, Protect and even tried Psych Up. Trick Room might be nice to support a particular slow hard-hitting 'mon to create a two-'mon core but I have yet found something to fit with Zong. Protect is for both getting more lefties and "surprising" HJK Lopunny/Mienshao. Maybe screens will make a nice fit, but without Light Clay they are less useful and without Lefties, zong is much less effective.

Staraptor - My most exciting out of the five to drop from BL. I tried Banded and it hits hard! The idea is to break any walls attempting at sponging hits and easing the path for a sweeper but often times, Raptor dies just too soon. Between the rock weakness and the massive recoil, it's hard to make good use of it and it's really often one-time used. Additional positive points about it, are that almost always, I succeeded bring Raptor in, as it's most likely it's first time seen in the match, and thus bluff the Scarf not risking speed-ties or even against faster opponents. Moreover, Band STAB Quick Attack is a nice way to deal extra damage at times but its too weak to ever sweep end-game. I view Staraptor as a flying version of Darmanitan, with a slightly better speed which is massively threatening and I fully understand the reasoning behind any future suspect/re-testing but I don't think it's game breaking from my experience. Another thing about it, Raptor surprisingly can sponge decently many average non-SE hits which may let him dish one more hit and at times it really matters.

Shiftry - The offensive defogger received the rare Hurricane and I was eager to try it out. Killing unsuspecting Chesnaughts was very amusing, however the accuarcy is still a bitch and 80 base speed for an offensive defogger in UU in really underwhelming. Not to mention the liability in such a U-turn weakness. Not worth using imo.

(M) Swampert - A revival to rain teams, the formidable starter is both a wall-breaker with Rain boosted Waterfalls and a sweeper. Forcing switches, Power-up-Punch is a fantastic fourth move slot to it (STABs, Ice Punch), letting it netting boosts on opponent's switch-in to later most likely still out-speed and choose the +1 boosted move of choice to eliminate/dent the subject at hand. Wasting a turn to set rain itself and sponging hits while he does it really seemed wrong to me and I feel Tornadus or any other rain setter is a must to maximize Swampert's effectiveness. The bad thing about it, Swampert will probably be the key player at any rain team and if it unables to net a kill and dies (which is a likely scenario as rain teams have trouble worrying about setting both hazards and rain), the rain team have lost a huge chance of winning. In this paragraph I would also like to mention Tornadus and Toxicroak as they proved to still be value-able members rain teams and Swift Swim Armaldo, which exceeded my expectations. With Rock Blast/SR/Spin/?? it is able to lead, control hazards, often ko lead Froslass/Galvantula (Swampert HATES Sticky Web) and sometimes survive to utilize Swift Swim end game.

Blissey - Within the end periods of XY, Blissey was regarded as passive and was praised less and less up to the point she was ranked in Viability B. I didn't agree with it, and I think this still holds true in ORAS. Sponging almost all Special attackers (baring Sub Chandelure, M-Diancie and maybe some others), it has plethora of supportive options like Wish, Aromatherapy, Toxic, Twave and rocks. It can surprise with Counter and she can also, a move seen respectable usage in previous OU gens, hit specific 'mons with Fire Blast/Flamethrower. In XY, she always was labeled as letting other free set-up opportunity and in XY I always felt the big two she gave such opportunities are SD Lucario and Forretress (and the rare SD Mienshao). With Fire coverage it can nail those two while still performing it's job with minimal liability. It also wears down/surprise others like Jirachi, Bronzong and Chesnaught so it's far from useless outside of those two specific 'mons.
A replay Blissey beating Jirachi and outstalling Togekiss afterwars :
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-187363321

Togekiss - I hate paraflinching. that is all. In fact, if Jirachi would rise to OU (I hope not), an idea to suspect/test/ban Serene Grace as an ability sounds great to me. Togekiss brokeness rises from, among others, it's abuse of this ability. Other UU user is Blissey, which never leaves Natural Cure. The only problem is it's only other viable user in lower tiers - Meloetta, while also unfairly un-purposely abusing this ability with sleep inducing Relic Song, it has no other ability, just like Jirachi. (yeah.. Meloetta screws my idea, scratch that)

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, I just got into ORAS UU and it seems really fun! One of the megas I like using most is Beedrill. With awesome Attack, Speed, and an Adaptability-boosted U-turn, Beedrill easily becomes one of the best Megas in the tier. Beedrill has the strongest U-turn in the game, which it uses to get chip damage on the opponent while gaining momentum at the same time. What makes it better is the fact that it will almost always go first with that great Speed tier, making it so that anything that tries to check or counter it will get U-turned on. Poison Jab is a great secondary STAB to beat Fairy-types like Florges and Mega Altaria, while finishing off opponents with a bit of prior damage so Beedrill can U-turn on the next thing that comes in!

I like using Beedrill with a Volt Switch user, particularly SpecsKou and Rotom-H (thanks IB93 for the suggestion!) since they have good synergy with Beedrill, beating the physical walls that it has difficulty getting past. Rotom-H even roasts Steel-types for Beedrill, while also providing a slow Volt Switch for it to get in safely. Beedrill also does well with hazard support since it forces a lot of switches, especially if it has a Volt Switch partner. However, keeping SR off the field is mandatory for Beedrill, since it needs to keep switching in and out to do its job properly. Beedrill also has terrible Defense and HP stats, which means you need to be wary of priority moves since they do a high number on it, some even outright KOing it after SR. Its Special Defense isn't TOO bad though, and lets it survive strong hits like Mega Scept's Dragon Pulse and even uninvested Toge's Air Slash. Finally, while Beedrill's normal form has extremely disappointing stats, Protect lifts this issue while also letting Mega Beedrill scout for Choice-locked mons (mostly Scarfers, as they're one of the few ways offense has of beating Beedrill). Do note that Protect is standard on Beedrill and can easily be taken advantage of.

All in all, Mega Beedrill is a really effective Pokemon atm, and definitely one to remember when teambuilding.

Yeah, I've been using Mega Aerodactyl a fair bit in the current metagame and it works really well on a majority of playstyles, and is a really good anti-offense mon at the moment. I can't say much that Pearl didn't, but I'd also like to note that birdspam checks in general (particularly Rhyperior who I've also been using) are anti meta as well tbh.

As SITB mentioned, MAgg is also pretty solid in this metagame, but I really don't see a reason to be running Dragon Tail, as the damage provided by it is minimal, and makes you completely vulnerable to Substitute users, which puts you in a terrible position considering Sub Calm Mind Suicune is one of the metagame trends at the moment.

Anyway, one thing I've really liked using at the moment is a trend that I found about in PO UU during POCL, being FatMence. It works best on balanced teams, where it can serve as a hazard cleaner, a phazer, and a physical wall all in one slot thanks to its decent defensive typing and its access to Intimidate, and I've been using it along with Klefki (although, using it with Zonger, MAgg, or even Mega Steelix works), and this thing puts in a lot of work on spikestacking balanced teams.

Salamence @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
Impish Nature (+Def -SAtk)
EV: 248 HP / 244 Def / 20 Spd
Roost
Dragon Tail
Defog
Toxic / Earthquake

every mega evolution of uu and lower pokemon except for metagross are all uu still, right? are any of the new megas being tested to move up from uu?

every mega evolution of uu and lower pokemon except for metagross are all uu still, right? are any of the new megas being tested to move up from uu?
All except Metagross and Salamence as for the rest they will be undergoing testing next week once the tier shifts from usage stats occur, some will be leaving by merit of usage alone.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
How do people feel about Rock Polish Weakness Policy Rhyperior? I've been using Rhyperior as my main birdspam check for the reasons Bouffalant mentioned, and recently I switched sets to try it out. I've been having mixed results - the necessary Speed required to make it work really hurts Rhyp's bulk, but when it works out it can sweep whole teams. The times where it has worked out have been so successful that I've been considering building a team around it, especially if Staraptor and Mence stick around UU for a while.

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed is how easy it is to sweep with Volcorona. While it may be partly the low ladder, it can come in on a lot of mons and just set up QDs on switches or in the face of many stall mons, where it then can proceed to annihilate teams. Broken? I can't say yet, but if it is not banned, it will certainly be a top tier threat.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I've just seen a bunch of Klefki + set-up sweepers being spammed. Set-up sweeping wasn't as dominant before unless the 'mon had priority (Luke, anything with Sucker Punch) or was a defensive win condition (Zygarde, Suicune, Snorlax) since with how popular Scarfers were, they often needed to take advantage of more turns than they were given. However, now that Klefki can pump out braindead screens and spikes, a lot of set-up sweepers are finally able to have enough bulk to set-up and not be revenge killed and nab important KOs. Overall, Klefki never fails to do its job pretty much every single game, and might be a little too good.

I've played a fair number of matches, and many of the Klefki's are indeed dual screening + spikes. I don't think this is really an issue. I still feel Defog is the best way to remove hazards (since the ghost types are still really good this meta). Defog removes your own hazards as well as any screens and enemy hazards. That is a great way to basically stop Klef. It doesn't get taunt. Priority t-wave is actually healthy for the meta. With these big threats like Mega zam, volc, mega beedril, there needs to be a sort of "thunudurus" for UU to stop all the fast strong mons. It actually helps balanced teams deal with HO, and helps HO go even more HAM.

In addition, phasing is still very good in uu. Whirlwind, Roar, Dragon Tail, or Haze (psuedo phase), it's a great way to prevent a ste up sweeper from totally dominating.

I think it is annoying, but I think klef provides a healthier meta than a bad one that promotes only 1 type of play style.

I've just seen a bunch of Klefki + set-up sweepers being spammed. Set-up sweeping wasn't as dominant before unless the 'mon had priority (Luke, anything with Sucker Punch) or was a defensive win condition (Zygarde, Suicune, Snorlax) since with how popular Scarfers were, they often needed to take advantage of more turns than they were given. However, now that Klefki can pump out braindead screens and spikes, a lot of set-up sweepers are finally able to have enough bulk to set-up and not be revenge killed and nab important KOs. Overall, Klefki never fails to do its job pretty much every single game, and might be a little too good.
yw meruu

Anyway, onto stuff more pertinent. Double Dance Diancie is too fucking good right now. The formula for success in UU is basically Klefki + Diancie + Thing(s) that kill Bronzong and Rotom-H

I've played a fair number of matches, and many of the Klefki's are indeed dual screening + spikes. I don't think this is really an issue. I still feel Defog is the best way to remove hazards (since the ghost types are still really good this meta). Defog removes your own hazards as well as any screens and enemy hazards. That is a great way to basically stop Klef. It doesn't get taunt. Priority t-wave is actually healthy for the meta. With these big threats like Mega zam, volc, mega beedril, there needs to be a sort of "thunudurus" for UU to stop all the fast strong mons. It actually helps balanced teams deal with HO, and helps HO go even more HAM.

In addition, phasing is still very good in uu. Whirlwind, Roar, Dragon Tail, or Haze (psuedo phase), it's a great way to prevent a ste up sweeper from totally dominating.

I think it is annoying, but I think klef provides a healthier meta than a bad one that promotes only 1 type of play style.
Except there isn't much opportunity cost in its ability to do the job as it can mindlessly throw out screens even against super effective attacks aimed at it:
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki through Reflect: 205-243 (64.4 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Klefki through Light Screen: 208-247 (65.4 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Klefki through Light Screen: 219-258 (68.8 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So it can easily throw out spikes + reflect/lightscreen in one go if it so chooses opting to survive with a margin of its life or still end up setting spikes+screens or chucking out a thunderwave in one go to buy momentum. These are just Spikes/Reflect/Light screen/TW that isn't adding his more peculiar options like Magnet Rise or Fairy lock. With foul play in conjunction with TW he isn't easily set up fodder for offensive mons. Yeah he may not be going toe to toe with other hazard setters, unless you use magic coat for mind games, but unlike other setters he can set up in the face of offense thanks to priority, either scaring em off with TW or screens to pad his defenses.

Defog itself does carry the risk of being easy set-up fodder as it could easily mean a free sub for something like Zygarde, and that easily spells trouble. That and I don't think priority TW was any healthier in OU as a clutch to sweepers, but hey that is just my opinion. I don't think HO was ever in trouble of dying out or declining too much in the first place, stall was the one that always had to worry about adjusting.

Last edited:
A sweeper could be carrying a surprise attack to KO a phazer, or they just might be too strong for the phaser to live what they wanted to in the first place. Prankster T-Wave was always and WILL always be a shitty get-out-of-jail-free card when you misplay. Ban it.

The statement that we "need" a Thundurus-I in UU is one of the most hilariously thoughtless ideas I've seen come out of this board. Why would we EVER want something, as Meru so eloquently put it, as braindead as Klefki in the tier?

If it seems like I'm ignoring his Prankster Screens + Spikes, that's because I am. Take heed, they're still broken, it's just that I'd boot Klefki on Thunder Wave alone.

ok so ill weigh in on these mons real quick

klefki is a little ridiculous imo because it literally does its job every game at least once --sometimes twice-- and just lets things that normally wouldnt shine in the tier as sweepers do ridiculously good. i honestly couldnt say if its banworty or not, as i havent used it too much, but i can understand why it would be banned. it simply does its job too well. and UU ALL DAY i can understand your argument with defogging the screens, but simply forcing you to defog can result in a sweeper setting up on your defog turn. This has actually happened to me before, where someone defogged on the turn i Shell Smashed with Omastar. idk exactly where i stand on klefki yet, but im leaning towards a ban.

volcarona is just so ridiculously broken its not even funny. i peaked at number 3 with a brainless volcarona + rachi + raptor team that was super easy to use and was just brainless in general. volc basically sets up a qd, and can rip through offense, slowly punch through balance, and do numbers to most stall. quiver/giga drain/bug buzz/fiery dance is as great as its always been, but has selective counters that you can run hidden power rock for, but i personally dont. bulkarona sets up on a fuckton more than qd 3 attacks, and has better longevity (duh) than regular rona, and is also stupidly threatening. a set that im pretty sure i invented, but idk if anyone else has used it with success is SubQuiver. Basically, you can now set up on stall with little fear. ban to hell.

mence actually isnt that bad this go around. scarf is a good cleaner and ddance doesnt find as many setups as it used to. mixmence is a threat to bulky offense, but it shouldnt be too hard to maneuver. there isnt too much t say about mence, but it just isnt the threat it used to be. i think it can stay.

staraptor is the one that im truly on the fence with. on one hand, it devours 90% of the tier with banded reckless brave bird/double edge, but its speed holds it back, and scarf severely cuts its damage output. close combat helps it, but things like doublade and mega aggron still counter it well. the banded set is easy to revenge kill, but the scarf set is a good cleanup sweeper. im leaning towards no ban.

finally hax togekiss. nasty plot paraflinch is gross (shoutout to namehtmas) and should be taken with extreme caution. wish cleric is as good as ever, bulky defog is great, nastypass is a viable option, hell ive even seen specs. toge just has too many sets that work too well for it in the current meta, and if raikou and rachi both leave in tomorrows drop, then toge should definitely go, as kou and rachi are the 2 prime offensive checks. ban to a hell deeper than volcaronas.

Gotta say that Klefki on Hyper offense is really good with sweepers like Zygarde/Lucario/Volcarona/Salamence/Togekiss/Mega Altaria/Mega Diancie (deserves special mention as it is immune to most common forms of phazing) who can all use the Screens/T-wave/Spikes support, and even giving then one free turn if you Defog/Heal Bell can spell disaster for you. I am inclined to believe it is kinda too good at its job right now given the amount of set up sweepers that benefits from Klefki's support in the current meta, even though Prankster T-wave is no longer as valuable with sweepers like Mega Diancie/Mega Swampert/Zygarde around

Last edited:

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
ok so i finally got a chance to ladder after a long while and here's my impressions:

1. mence and raptor are fine, im sure they're good to stay.
2. klefki is actually a little more iffy than i had anticipated. i've run into a couple screens + mega gallade teams and i almost lost to one cause the guy was running drain punch over CC and i couldnt break 50% on it w/ screens up. its more than likely also fine to stay but damn its gay as shit. also prankster twave is still a gay strategy that promotes careless playing zzz.
3. volcarona and togekiss are still broken as shit imo. togekiss never fails to astound me in terms of how easily it can turn games around by just clicking twave + np + air slash. volcarona is just insane and needs to go, even with diancie, altaria, and mence everywhere, it still manages to wreck face on a consistent basis, its so absurd.

out of all the new megas, i was totally expecting loppuny to be my favorite, but its spotlight has been taken by diancie. this thing is a monster with a really simple set of

4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe Rash
- moonblast
- diamond storm
- earth power
- rock polish / calm mind

i've been using rock polish to wreck offense teams since i'm pairing it w/ something that stall can't beat (which i'll get into next), but in all honesty this thing doesn't even need to boost to take a massive dump on the meta. like im sure someone will eventually just slap hp fire on that last slot and this thing will be declared broken lol

anyway here's my favorite mon to use so far:

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis
- Calm Mind

i was never a fan of florges in the past cause i dont like walls in general but this thing is so good lol. it sets up almost every game and manages to take shit down. all while still supporting the team w/ aromatherapy, btw, which is nice since that allows me to play diancie more recklessly.

i'll probably post the team in the sample teams thread cause its been pretty solid thus far but the idea was double fairy with one wrecking offense and the other stall. worked out gr8.

ok so not gonna lie, i never thought special mega-altaria was all that good. ive been using it more and more recently, and a simple set of fire blast/draco/hyper voice/roost (or heal bell) is quite good, primarily because of ddance altaria's popularity. many people will instinctively bring in bronzong or forre to check the dd set, only to be manhandled by a fire blast. i havent seen many people using 3 attacks roost at all yet, mostly dd or hyper voice/support sets, but 3 attacks roost is definitely not something to sleep on.

How does everybody feel about Quagsire in the current meta? Theres a whole heep of sweepers and Unaware has been really useful. Add in to the mix Scald and Curse and this is a pretty anti meta poke atm. I matched it up with Zong and a cleric and its a tough core to break.

To add on to the stuff about Klefki a bit late to the party, I think it's also worth mentioning (for Screens HO at least) that it gets access to Magic Coat now, which means Defoggers can't come in and break its Screens—since, as I recently found out, Defog only clears target's screens, so Magic Coat actually prevents that. Hazards still get cleared tho, so if they have a Defogger on the wings, try not to waste time setting up Spikes unless it's really needed .–.
I mean, I was the one who most fervently wanted it to go because it was such easy support and prio T-Wave + good typing makes me grow moles on my back (I should prolly get those checked out). But I can see how people feel it's worse now, since we have many more deadly sweepers than last time—where we didn't even have Luke yet!.

I've yet to play consistently so as to form my own opinions on Toge, Volc, etc, tho I really wish those two in particular weren't as gay as people are saying because I liked using them (not the gay sets, of course x_x)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)