[Hypothetical Scenario] Delta Species Pokémon in future games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so let me preface with an introduction on the games thus far. The Pokemon games have had a deep and varied set of mechanics that allow for a great scheme of customization. The most basic would be the movepool and ability while the "behind the scenes" stuff include things like Natures, Hidden Abilities and of course, IVs and EVs. And it seems unlikely that Game Freak will cease to add more depth to this system.

Now for some history: In a bid to compete with Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon also has a trading card game. Around Gen III there were a special type of pokemon called "Delta Species". These pokemon were unusual in that their types were different from their usual typing. For example, at the gimmick's inception, the Lati dragons were both Electric/Steel type, instead of Dragon/Psychic then later were Fire and Water based on the card
LatiosEXDeltaSpecies9[1].jpg LatiasEXDeltaSpecies8[1].jpg LatiosEXHolonPhantoms12[1].jpg LatiasEXHolonPhantoms11[1].jpg

Another example of a Delta Species card is Raquyaza
427px-RayquazaEXDeltaSpecies13[1].jpgRayquazaexEXDragonFrontiers97[1].jpg

The first delta Species cards always had Steel-typing on all of them, but later had the "EVERY Delta Species card is part steel" aspect removed, as seen on the cards to the right.

I was wondering, if Game Freak does decided to include Delta Species (as in a rare version of a pokemon with different than usual typing) Pokemon into the games how would this effect the meta?

And before you snark that "TCG concepts are never in the games" I'll point out that prototypes to Abilities, as well as moves like Destiny Bond and Flail were found in the TCG

Er... Rotom anyone?

In terms of how the meta would be affected, you can only really go on a case-by-case basis. This is probably better suited somewhere in the competitive discussion theorymon threads.

In any case, unless a Pokemon could change between its forms in battle then a Delta species is merely considered a different Pokemon to the base form for tiering purposes (species clause aside).

Er... Rotom anyone?

In terms of how the meta would be affected, you can only really go on a case-by-case basis. This is probably better suited somewhere in the competitive discussion theorymon threads.

In any case, unless a Pokemon could change between its forms in battle then a Delta species is merely considered a different Pokemon to the base form for tiering purposes (species clause aside).
Well the closest thing I could find to a more general thread in the metagame board is locked to new users so I don't know where else to post it

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm afraid that Orange Islands' rules only allow discussion of released games, or features officially confirmed to be in future games. Also, since we are the non-competitive section after all, the sentence "how will it affect the metagame" is a little out of place. Sorry to say, but I'll have to lock this thread.

If you want to discuss the concept, we have an IRC channel which is open to talk about pretty much anything. There is a link in the Rules thread.

Lastly, I can't help but chime in a sentence at the end... GameFreak doesn't need Delta species when we've got Mega Evolution. Some stones already alter the user's typing, so it's not inconceivable that they'll introduce more drastic type changes to certain Megas in later generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)