The Everything Minor League (NCAA) Football Thread : 2014-2015

I'm calling FSU loses against florida. I'm not even saying florida is a better team then St., I'm just saying they are good enough to beat them. If you have to kick a field goal to beat BCU in the final seconds of the game, I'd say nearly anyone has a chance to put up a fight against you.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Very odd rankings from the CFP committee this week. I wished they would have credited Arkansas with the win as much as they punished Ole Miss with the loss. I would not be against ranking 5-loss Arkansas in the top 25 right now (obviously in the 21-25 range). They lost by 1 to the best team in the country (Alabama), played Georgia pretty close, hung in there at Mississippi State, and then shut out LSU and Ole Miss. There is not a hotter team in the nation than Arkansas right now; I'd definitely take them over a Boise State or Utah or Minnesota. I'd post my weekly "FSU is lucky not good" rant here but at this point it's pretty clear what I think of them. FSU "knows how to win" at home against Boston College by 3. Alabama would beat them by 3 touchdowns in the first quarter. Hoping they fall out because I really want to see TCU in the playoffs. Alabama, Mississippi State, Oregon, and TCU is the perfect playoff bracket right now IMO.

What makes zero sense to me is ranking Boise State over Marshall. Boise State's played a pretty weak schedule outside of Ole Miss (who blew them out) and have a really ugly two-touchdown loss at Air Force. Marshall's played nobody, but at least they've blown out everyone they've played except for last week's near-disaster.

But most importantly, happy rivalry week everyone. Good luck and fuck Ohio.

Very odd rankings from the CFP committee this week. I wished they would have credited Arkansas with the win as much as they punished Ole Miss with the loss. I would not be against ranking 5-loss Arkansas in the top 25 right now (obviously in the 21-25 range). They lost by 1 to the best team in the country (Alabama), played Georgia pretty close, hung in there at Mississippi State, and then shut out LSU and Ole Miss. There is not a hotter team in the nation than Arkansas right now; I'd definitely take them over a Boise State or Utah or Minnesota.
I feel the committee and voters alike are giving Arkansas their due respect seeing as they received 19 votes from coaches in the USA Today Poll and 40 votes in the AP Top 25, but ultimately Ole Miss took the tumble because they're certainly not a top 10 team without Treadwell and their offense right now reflects it.

Any Mizzou fans patrolling the Sports section? Do you get the feeling this "rivalry" between Arkansas and MU feels contrived seeing as there's little history between the schools?

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
FSU plays up to good opponents, plays down to bad ones. They are like the cardinals of college football (ik they lost to the seahawks this weekend, sry without their starting qb in a huge revenge game shut up), all they do is win. Its just like the auburn game last year, over and over. The team isn't built to just kill teams either, they don't have the overwhelming traits; they are just good at mostly everything without excelling at anything in particular.

FSU plays up to good opponents, plays down to bad ones.
what good opponents? #21 Clemson, who they played terribly against, or #22 Louisville, who they played terribly against? or maybe the 7-4 Fighting Irish, who also almost beat FSU? forget SEC, if they played in any of the other 3 Big 5 conferences they would have multiple losses based on the way they've played this year. the ACC is terrible, but hopefully Georgia Tech can save us all from an FSU semifinal.

xJownage

what good opponents? #21 Clemson, who they played terribly against, or #22 Louisville, who they played terribly against? or maybe the 7-4 Fighting Irish, who also almost beat FSU? forget SEC, if they played in any of the other 3 Big 5 conferences they would have multiple losses based on the way they've played this year. the ACC is terrible, but hopefully Georgia Tech can save us all from an FSU semifinal.
right they competed just as well against clemson as they did NC state. The point is that they play up to good teams and down to bad ones. If they played in a better conference it is likely they wouldve played better overall, same way that the cardinals play up to the good opponents.

I will never believe the "play up to good teams and down to bad ones" argument. If I was a coach/player, that would seem like the stupidest thing for a team to do, even if it was unintentional. If a team simply CAN'T win by a respectable margin, I find it hard to call them a championship-worthy team. TCU deserves the 4th spot much more, with Miss st also having a good argument for it. I'll probably never say this again in my entire life, but GO FLORIDA! happy rivalry week everyone! (As a bama fan, I've been waiting SO long for this ;))

right they competed just as well against clemson as they did NC state. The point is that they play up to good teams and down to bad ones. If they played in a better conference it is likely they wouldve played better overall, same way that the cardinals play up to the good opponents.
What ??? Clemson is decent and FSU played badly against them. NC State is bad and FSU played badly against them. You could say one or the other for almost every game on FSU's schedule this year. What game did they ever play up to a good team? What game did they ever play up to a mediocre team? FSU either underperforms every game, or they are just bad and what we saw against Miami and Boston College is the real FSU.

xJownage

What ??? Clemson is decent and FSU played badly against them. NC State is bad and FSU played badly against them. You could say one or the other for almost every game on FSU's schedule this year. What game did they ever play up to a good team? What game did they ever play up to a mediocre team? FSU either underperforms every game, or they are just bad and what we saw against Miami and Boston College is the real FSU.
correct my wording, they play up at the level of better teams and down at the level of really bad ones.

Im not saying that they are gonna win the playoffs, i am saying that they have a good shot at making it, and probably will compete very well.

I dont even want to continue this argument because we are all basing this on educated guessing, and its all objective so I don't even want to talk about it.

In an attempt to change the topic, what are your calls for rivalry week? TCU already beat texas, so the first big game is out of the way. The egg bowl could be intresting, but it will be hard for ole miss to pull that one out of their hat with so many injuries plus bad Bo. Florida v florida st shouldn't be a big game, but St's tract record makes me believe anything could happen at this point. Oregon v Oregon st is another one that could be a blowout, but it is a rivalry so anything could happen. Then there's the big one. The iron bowl was the biggest game of last season, and the winner of it has played in the championship for the past 5 years, winning the championship 4/5 of those years. Obviously if auburn wins that streak will end, as not even a win over the #1 team in the country is enough to pull them into the top 4. Bama has revenge on their mind, and i can't help but think that saban has been reviewing the tape of auburn this year so much that his eyes have turned red as blood. Maybe that's why he is always so angry.

xJownage

My picks so far have been

LSU over A&M
Arkansas over Mizzouri
Arizona over Arizona state
Stanford over UCLA (yes i picked this one, when you know, YOU KNOW)
Nebraska over Iowa

Virginia over Virginia Tech

Georgia over Georgia tech (i am really tempted to pick tech)
Louisville over Kentucky
Clemson over South Carolina
Ohio State over Michigan
Florida st over Florida
Oregon over Oregon State (will be closer than people think)
Michigan State over Penn State

Feature Picks:

Alabama over Auburn, 30-24

A much smarter, stronger alabama team will beat an inconsistent auburn team that has had trouble sustaining success. An upset is very possible, but the likelihood is incredibly low, especially because they have to play on the road. Blake Sims is beginning to play extremely well, so it will be up to alabama's defense, and if they can consistently get off the field. In that environment, I think they can and will.

Wisconsin over Minnesota, Melvin Gordon-14

254 Rush, 2109 Yds, 25 TDs for melvin gordon. I have said it already and I will say it again because I am sick of saying it, if Melvin Gordon does not win the heisman what does it take to earn it? There is NO PLAYER in college football that has been more valuable to his team this year than Melvin Gordon in terms of how many wins they would lose without him. Melvin Gordon is Wisconsin's offense, and he is incredible. He gets the ball every play and averages OVER 8 YARDS PER CARRY. Wisconsin literally can't throw the ball - look early in the season - yet he is still just churning out yards like its nothing. He is averaging almost 200 yards per game, and in the last 6 he is well over 200. Give melvin gordon the heisman. For a guy who accounts for even more of his offense than a QUARTERBACK that is "by far the best right now" (mariota), he only deserves it.

Ole Miss over Mississippi State, 10-9

Playing football like its the 1950s here. Two absurd defenses match up against inconsistent, struggling qbs and decent running games to create what will be a field position slugfest that may be determined solely by the consistency and performance of the special teams. Seriously, this will be like 2011 LSU vs Alabama.

While everyone else is watching games that actually matter, im watching the kentucky/louisville game where the audio has quit and the announcers are literally phoning their commentary in. Best game of the week y/y?

Great weekend of football! Conference title games next week. Alabama has a fairly easy matchup with Mizzou, Oregon matches back up with Arizona, and FSU gets GT. I really think FSU may lose to Georgia Tech, but we'll see what happens.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Nothing unexpected happened this week unless you count Miss State losing to Ole Miss, which is not that surprisingly and also they were likely to drop out of the top four anyway after conference championship weekend. ;[

RIP Ohio State.

Please Melvin Gordon, please be ready for Saturday. If he's not, there's no way Wisconsin is beating Ohio State. :[ Georgia Tech is probably going to beat Florida State to be honest, lol.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
This season was more painful than the 3-9 year. Thank God we're not going to a bowl game, gives us more time to put out the dumpster fire. Harbaugh plz?

Go Georgia Tech over FSU! Tbh I'd even like to see Ohio get in over them; I'm pretty sure they can beat Florida and Boston College by double digits unlike Jameis "Interceptions R Us" Winston. Hoping for Alabama, Oregon, TCU, and (sheds tear) Ohio to get in (I'd rather die than see them win, naturally, but they're one of the best 4 teams ). Still convinced Ole Miss is an elite team, all of their losses have been to elite teams except one crapshow against Arkansas. Plus, Ohio State's QB clearly cares about football, he ain't here to play school. So yeah, Alabama, Oregon, TCU, Ohio in that order.

Only situation in which 2 SEC teams should get in is if Ohio and Florida State both lose in their conference title games. I'd take Mississippi State over Baylor still. Also what the fuck it's been 48 hours WHY DOES BRADY HOKE HAVE A JOB??!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)