ORAS Experiences

I think I just figured out how GF got Zinnia's name and Aster's name. I searched Zinnia into Google and got a wikipedia page that says Zinnia is a genus of plants belonging to the Asteraceae. So, judging from that, Aster is Zinnia's mother :)

Speaking of which, I actually had put a Flygon and Groudon I had transfered from my old copy of Ruby on Alpha Sapphire. Sadly, it did not have any special message on it. It really would have been cute for it to say "Has traveled through time and space to return home."
Oh well, just a minor nitpick in a great game.
Try showing them to the Game Developer...

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
In my playthrough of OR I did a Nuzloke. (You can only catch the first wild Pokemon in each area and if a Pokemon faints, its dead.) My team going into the Elite Four was Altaria, Tentacruel, Walrein, Magnezone, Sandslash, and Machoke. Against Phoebe, I switched in Altaria to take a Fire Punch from Dusknoir and it worked. Unfortunately, Altaria couldn't take an Ice Punch. Against Glacia, when I sent in Tentacruel against Walrein and wondered if it still knew Sheer Cold. Long story short, it did. Against the champion, I lost Walrein to Mega Metagross not knowing Magnezone walled it. (When I sent Magnezone in, MegaMeta used Giga Impact.) I defeated the Elite Four only to be swept by May's Mudkip.

I really enjoyed AS -it's definately my favourite pokemon game in the entire series which is saying something when you've been playing since Pokemon Red. The thing that I loved most about the game is how closely it followed he original RS games. I'm probably gonna be one of the few people here who actually enjoyed playing the game with just Hoenn pokes -it just made the experience feel more honest.

I loved the updated graphics though and how GF was able to combine the new graphics with the old school feel of the original games. For instance I loved stumbling my way through Petalburg Woods where little pools of light fell through the trees, which made the place feel more real, whilst the berry trees looked very much like they did in the original games. Apart from the storyline, I also like that the contests have returned and that they are still spread out throughout Hoenn and most importantly the Super-Secret Bases. The Bases is probably one of the coolest things about the games. I've been using this feature primarily for easy level grinding thanks to Blissey Bases. It's fun to be able to choose your own base from different areas like trees, caves etc and then decorate it and to have a reason to use it afterwards. I also love how easy it is to swap bases with other people via QR codes -now that alone really gives the remakes a more modern feel.

I'm also impressed with the amount of legendaries that are available in ORAS and I can't wait for the researchers to discover how RNG works in these games. The cutscenes for some of the legends like Latias are annoying though. However it's cool that they removed the shiny lock from some of the legends such as Reshiram, now who wouldn't want a gold and white dragon? It sucks however that we are still forced to catch some of these pokes whilst we are still working our way through the main story. I for one would rather catch these awesome pokes after the main storyline since I hate SRing with a passion.

The only thing that I'm really disappointed about is the lack of the Battle Frontier. Nevertheless I'm still hopeful that GF might include it later through a patch or something. Otherwise the game is perfect.

Last edited:
I didn't play RSE (only Pokemon games I never played) but I don't like the Hoenn region. Just a personal thing. I much prefer huge city life to tropical regions and Hoenn is so big I'm actually getting tired of exploring it. I haven't looked at Pacifidlog yet, though I've beaten the main story.

The main storyline is alright, nothing spectacular. At least I had to battle Steven twice to win (and even then because I rather overestimated my Blaziken's speed) but otherwise it wasn't much of a challenge, and I only used the Exp Share for about two routes.

The Delta Episode was fantastic though. Totally kept me excited and I was not expecting Deoxys at all, it was the best surprise I'd had all game (yes, even better than finding out you don't need a Mega Stone to Mega Evolve Rayquaza ... *shudders*). I hope GF maintains that plot quality in future games. I'm okay with how the Pokemon games are right now but something more exciting would definitely be way awesome.

Also, thank you Game Freak, there is a Daycare, IV checker, and route to do the coin trick all in the same place - and on the Battle Resort too, not to mention the move tutors and even some trainers who you can level-grind against! You did good GF, keep it up.

Am I the only person who feels that Maxie has aged significantly since R/S? I could've sworn he looked younger...

Just being picky over minor details so don't mind me, but he just appeared a lot older (especially in his OW sprite) than in R/S, unless I'm wrong on that. o.o

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
is it just me or is the GIANT RIFT IN THE SKY that leads to some legends creepy as hell

I didn't play RSE (only Pokemon games I never played) but I don't like the Hoenn region. Just a personal thing. I much prefer huge city life to tropical regions and Hoenn is so big I'm actually getting tired of exploring it. I haven't looked at Pacifidlog yet, though I've beaten the main story.

The main storyline is alright, nothing spectacular. At least I had to battle Steven twice to win (and even then because I rather overestimated my Blaziken's speed) but otherwise it wasn't much of a challenge, and I only used the Exp Share for about two routes.

The Delta Episode was fantastic though. Totally kept me excited and I was not expecting Deoxys at all, it was the best surprise I'd had all game (yes, even better than finding out you don't need a Mega Stone to Mega Evolve Rayquaza ... *shudders*). I hope GF maintains that plot quality in future games. I'm okay with how the Pokemon games are right now but something more exciting would definitely be way awesome.

Also, thank you Game Freak, there is a Daycare, IV checker, and route to do the coin trick all in the same place - and on the Battle Resort too, not to mention the move tutors and even some trainers who you can level-grind against! You did good GF, keep it up.
What's a coin trick?

THE CREATION OF MR. BONDING WAS NOT AN EXPERIENCE I EVER NEEDED TO GO THROUGH

On a much more non-one-liner note, having been avidly avoiding spoilers for a week (why did it come out a week later here, why) I finally completed the game and I am so, SO satisfied with it. I kept saying up until release that these would be the best Pokémon games ever, and... well, I was fucking right. Soaring is honestly like the best feeling ever tbqh; I knew it'd be fun but UGH it's so good.

The Mr Bonding... uh, "event" reminds me of watching The Santa Clause as a child. Many "heartwarming" things are happening as an ordinary guy gains magical power. He doesn't want it to start with, but as he changes physically, his personality also changes so that he accepts what is happening. (Later on, I realized The Santa Clause is basically The Fly, except with Santa instead of an insect.)

Let's see, I definitely got to experience the whole Hoenn ideals in a completely new light! Everything was absolutely stunning, the megas were at least somewhat sensible, and I got to relive my childhood.

At first, I promised myself that I wouldn't use anything bred unless I caught a version of it that wasn't bred. So what I did was I simply got my starter (Treecko) and made sure to breed something that didn't have any egg moves that the starter Treecko didn't have. And so on.

When I finally reached the credits, I couldn't help but to be reminded of Monsters Inc, Toy Story, Nemo, etc. Not because of the fact that they resemble ORAS in any way, but because of what their franchises did. They brought back each movie (from around 10-20 years back or so) to give their fans that small piece of their childhood that they missed and deserved. And then I wondered if GF was doing this to us. By giving us a remake that we had all loved, would this be them saying goodbye? And then I got sad and stuff, and then promptly began to catch all of the legendaries.

and then I laughed at Wallace as I googled pictures of his outfit and then swept his sorry ass multiple times in Omega Ruby.

I really enjoyed Alpha Sapphire. I'd even go so far as to say it's my favourite Pokemon game. My first game was the original Sapphire, so it was really nostalgic. The remixed music sounds really nice; it takes me back to my childhood, when I was playing the game with an overleveled HM Slave Sceptile, but it fully utilizes the 3DS's capabilities. My favourite tracks are Route 104 and Route 113. (The only thing I don't like is the severe lack of trumpets in some areas. And by that I mean that not every route has trumpets. Seriously, Hoenn is supposed to be full of them!)

The story was outstanding. I really enjoyed beating Team Aqua, and Archie is definitely the best villain to date. He genuinely enjoys battling with you beyond 'herp derp I'm the bad guy so I have to destroy you'. Indeed, he sees you as an actual rival. Heck, you can even team up with him in the Maison!

I am really enjoying all the legends you can catch. I'm SRing for all of them (although my standards are relatively low for the ones banned from VGC), and I managed to bag a very nice 25/0/31/31/28/31 Suicune yesterday. Yay!

There is one thing that puzzles me though. Remember that dark area above Lilycove on the pre-release map? I don't believe it was ever utilized in the game. The mystery deepens...

I bought the game exclusively for any post game that there might be. The lack of a battle frontier was really a huge disappointment. At least you got new music choices for the Maison now.

I tore through the main game as fast as possible, and some of the music was pretty good. I hope a Battle Frontier comes though.

Still worth buying just because the new megas are exclusive to ORAS.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
With Ruby being the first Pokemon game I really got into (I could barely read when I got Red back in 1999, and didn't play GSC until Dec 2008), I was a bit weary about ORAS when I first heard about them since I'm usually not a fan of remakes, and at the time I personally didn't think RSE even needed remakes since they're still indirectly compatible with Gen VI and the carts didn't die along with their internal batteries likes the first two generations. But after playing through OR, I'm glad to say they exceeded my expectations. Hoenn looks fantastic on the 3DS, and the soundtrack is beautifully remastered and stays true to the original ost, something HGSS failed at imo.

The story was one of the bigger things to stick out to me. R/S's story to me always felt like it was tacked on for the sake of saying the game had a plot. Team Magma/Aqua's plans didn't make an ounce of sense since the game never elaborated on their reasoning behind expanding the land/sea, making them feel more like their purpose was simply to summon the legendary mascot for you to catch and be done with it. May/Brendan and Wally were also complete trash as rivals.
ORAS still sticks true to the original story for the most part, but the extra polish and additional touches to the story really made a world of difference to me. I can't vouch for AS yet, but I definitely enjoyed my time with OR. Team Magma's motives actually make sense now and they feel menacing instead of being a nuisance now. May & Wally are much better in terms of being likable characters and challenging rivals, and the overall atmosphere of the story felt much more apocalyptic than "oh shit, the sun is shining bright." And don't even get me started with the sheer epicness of Groudon's encounter cut-scene/battle with that godly remix of the weather trio battle theme. The Delta episode was also an awesome way to tie up the loose ends of both X/Y and ORAS. I could keep going with the neat new features such as DexNav, upgraded secret bases, etc., but just about everyone else has already covered that in great detail and this post is already getting long. It's easy to see that Game Freak really did take the time to develop a quality story and features in these remakes instead of rehashing the same old game with a modern paint job.

I can't say the games are perfect; they do have some notable faults beyond lack of a battle frontier Game Freak, don't force-feed us legendaries right in the middle of the game dammit!, but the games are still pretty damn good, if not the best in the series so far. It's usually hard for remakes to top the original content, but ORAS is one of the few exceptions to that rule. I have to agree with Mario With Lasers that Hoenn feels like it was made for the 3DS instead of the GBA.

On a completely unrelated note, wth was up with Courtney?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm sure you've all seen this already: what was up with the trainer "Delinquent Miley"? That could not have possibly been a coincidence, it had to be an intentional call-out. Shots freaking fired. I'm surprised they'd make a reference to someone still somewhat relevant to pop culture in a Pokemon game.

Any other little silly Easter eggs like this anyone has found?

Lets see, I thought the Delta Episode was epic! Zinnia's such a sad character, its hinted she had a daughter named Aster, so I guess she must be dead and now Zinnia is a psycho. When me and Rayquaza went up to stop the asteroid, I was so tempted to play Aerosmith's Armageddon song.

The creation of Mr.Bonding freaked me majorly out. One minute Giddy and the others are circling the powerless man, the next they're fusing with him until he becomes Mr.Bonding. That Satanic Ritual was as spooky as the Lumiose City ghost girl. At least when Mr. Bonding gave me the Hatching O-Power he didn't turn out the lights and do weird things to me.

Right now I'm in the process of catching them all, by that I mean catching every Pokemon on every route possible without trading.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Did anyone else find this game really easy, or was t a legit challenge?

Last edited:
Well I was level 70ish for all my battling Pokemon the first time I beat the game. Perhaps I will turn the Exp Share off next time...
So yes, it was easy, though I had to use a full restore when fighting Steven.

I didn't find it any easier than most Pokemon games (except BW2 and XY) and I didn't use the Exp Share. idk, 15 years of playing Pokemon I wasn't hoping for ORAS to be more challenging than it was. I look postgame for the challenges.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)