Pokémon Pidgeot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg yeah I totally forgot about Heat Wave lol.
God I'm laughing here, yeah, I didn't thinked well in the moveset, but anyway, I think there is better pokemons than Pidgeot.

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
Naive nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- U-Turn

Base 100 speed tier is plenty crowded and you'll have opportunities to mega evolve without wasting a move slot on protect, just pay attention to the battle and you'll get by fine. It's not like beedrill which has issues mega-evolving against some common stuff. Pack greninja checks and hazard control. Imo dugtrio is worth running as well for heatrans and rock types. It's an alright mega but nothing special. Greninja is a serious, serious deterrant to running it lol

A great core to run pidgeot with is dugtrio and healing wish latias. I made an RMT about this core in my signature and you can go check it out and rate it if you have the time :D
Also, run timid over naive, because u-turn isn't really used for the damage output, it's used for momentum.

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
Naive nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- U-Turn

Base 100 speed tier is plenty crowded and you'll have opportunities to mega evolve without wasting a move slot on protect, just pay attention to the battle and you'll get by fine. It's not like beedrill which has issues mega-evolving against some common stuff. Pack greninja checks and hazard control. Imo dugtrio is worth running as well for heatrans and rock types. It's an alright mega but nothing special. Greninja is a serious, serious deterrant to running it lol
Any particular reason hidden power grass is there?

Because otherwise you could run other Hidden Powers, all for the sake of dealing good damage to common switch ins:

Ground - is for heatran, a dead stop to hurricane and heat wave, and laughs off u-turn

Fighting - for tyranitar if you really want to lure

Water - more useful for lower tiers where rhyperior is a good counter

Any particular reason hidden power grass is there?

Because otherwise you could run other Hidden Powers, all for the sake of dealing good damage to common switch ins:

Ground - is for heatran, a dead stop to hurricane and heat wave, and laughs off u-turn

Fighting - for tyranitar if you really want to lure

Water - more useful for lower tiers where rhyperior is a good counter
HP Grass is used to finish off Rotom-W, dealing IIRC between 42% and 50%, it also deals the same amount of damage to Rhyperior as HP Water so Water is pointless in comparison.

As FLYINGDAVEno2 already said, it's mainly used for rotom-w, which is the only mon that dugtrio can't trap. HP Fighting is basically pointless because it doesn't do anything to avttar.
252 SpA Pidgeot Hidden Power Fighting vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 120-144 (29.7 - 35.7%) -- 25.3% chance to 3HKO
HP Ground could be useful, but predicting a ballon tran to switch in, you could just u-turn into dugtrio and trap it to finish it off with earthquake.

Did anyone else think this thing was going to be physical?

M-Pidgeot's pretty nice though.
No Guard Hurricane and Heat Wave are great.
Don't see it dominating OU at all, would be decent in UU, might be too much for RU.

Trollfreak naturally did a great job of trolling us and making pidgeot special lol
Yeah pidgeot won't be too good in OU, because of better mons like metagross and altaria, but it'll be a solid top tier threat in UU.

Trollfreak naturally did a great job of trolling us and making pidgeot special lol
Yeah pidgeot won't be too good in OU, because of better mons like metagross and altaria, but it'll be a solid top tier threat in UU.
How is it trolling us by making Pidgeot Special? Now it gets to use Hurricane out of Rain, as well as taking advantage of Heat Wave. What use would M Pidgeot even have with high physical offense? It would just be a worse Talonflame / Staraptor / Pinsir. M Pidgeot as it is now isn't amazing but it's certainly something... different.

Well naturally I expected gamefreak to make pidgeot physical so it would purposely be outclassed by staraptor and talonflame
...Why? Not only would that have sucked, it doesn't make any goddamn sense. Why would Game Freak INTENTIONALLY make a Mega outclassed by a non Mega Pokemon? I mean sure, arguably they've done it on ACCIDENT, but never woud I think Game Freak is so stupid to do that kind of thing intentionally.

I think we're getting a little off-topic. Competitive discussion, please?
Anyhow, Hurricane, Heat Wave and U-turn seem pretty much mandatory, but what would be best out of Roost and Defog?

How is it trolling us by making Pidgeot Special? Now it gets to use Hurricane out of Rain, as well as taking advantage of Heat Wave. What use would M Pidgeot even have with high physical offense? It would just be a worse Talonflame / Staraptor / Pinsir. M Pidgeot as it is now isn't amazing but it's certainly something... different.
Mainly because Pidgeot was a physicial attacker before, and I expected to be able the BB things with powerful ATK.
I mean, this personally works out better, because T-Flame and Staraptor would outclass, but it was unexpected.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Mainly because Pidgeot was a physicial attacker before, and I expected to be able the BB things with powerful ATK.
I mean, this personally works out better, because T-Flame and Staraptor would outclass, but it was unexpected.
Yeah, I definitely agree with you that it was somewhat unexpected. However, it's definitely a lot better special than physical, as if it were physical, it would have so much to compete with. Also, it wouldn't be able to benefit from No Guard if its stats were physical.
Jw what you mean by too good. Imo it's pretty viable, probably B- in my book. Its Speed is excellent, and with a tier as focused around the 110 Speed tier as OU is, Pidgeot has a lot of places to shine. It definitely does face competition from Tornadus-T, but I think its reliable STAB move + complementary Fire coverage definitely allows it to set itself apart.

Well by good, I mean like zard x and metagross level good, and by not too good I mean like around B rank. It definitely has a niche, and while nothing exactly outclasses it, if you're looking for a mega on a team, pidgeot probably won't be your first choice unless you're teambuilding around it.

Well naturally I expected gamefreak to make pidgeot physical so it would purposely be outclassed by staraptor and talonflame
You expected them to make Pidgeot, the Pokemon aesthetically designed around Gust, Twister, Hurricane, Sand Attack, Air Slash and Whirlwind, to be a physical Pokemon? It literally says it in the Pokedex.

BW/2/DPP - By flapping its wings with all its might, Pidgeot can make a gust of wind capable of bending tall trees.
HG - Its well-developed chest muscles make it strong enough to whip up a gusty windstorm with just a few flaps.

Flavour text means very little in pokemon games though, there must be plenty of contradictions/discrepancies between pokedex entries and movesets.

Regardless, MPidgeot is the standalone best hurricane user and that gives it a notable niche over Tornadus who needs the rain support to reliably nuke with its strongest STAB, I think a B(-) rank is a lot more suited to it than its current placement, C- (i think). So when the time comes to discuss the B's I'd be sure to show support for Pidgeot in this placement.

I'm still waiting for this pigeon's verdict.

Someone in here owes me a lucky dollar and I'm not leaving without it!

I'm still waiting for this pigeon's verdict.

Someone in here owes me a lucky dollar and I'm not leaving without it!
My verdict is, it looks pretty badass, and can spam Hurricane and Heat Wave, but it would require a team to be built to support it. Other Mons could probably do a better job of fulfilling a similar role (I'm looking at you, Mega Salamence) without nearly as much support.

So yeah. I like the design and the way you can spam Hurricane, and as soon as I get the ability to use Mega Evolution in Alpha Sapphire (had a friend breed one for me), I plan to try it out, but it has a lot of factors limiting its viability.

Last edited:
My verdict is, it looks pretty badass, and can spam Hurricane and Heat Wave, but it would require a team to be built to support it. Other Mons could probably do a better job of fulfilling a similar role (I'm looking at you, Mega Salamence) without nearly as much support.

So yeah. I like the design and the way you can spam Hurricane, and as soon as I get the ability to use Mega Evolution in Alpha Sapphire (had a friend breed one for me), I plan to try it out, but it has a lot of factors limiting its viability.
Hey, you realize that mega salamence is banned lol? Afaik, pidgeot is the only mon that can freely spam hurricane without any drawbacks outside of rain, due to no guard. Of course, that means that other people can feel free to spam stone edge at pidgeot. Mega pidgeot is a decent mega, but it's opportunity cost is just a little bit too high, but it does have a small niche as a great late game cleaner / sweeper.

Hey, you realize that mega salamence is banned lol? Afaik, pidgeot is the only mon that can freely spam hurricane without any drawbacks outside of rain, due to no guard. Of course, that means that other people can feel free to spam stone edge at pidgeot. Mega pidgeot is a decent mega, but it's opportunity cost is just a little bit too high, but it does have a small niche as a great late game cleaner / sweeper.
I know all about the ban. Although it's still better off than Mega Ray, which is now forced to be the sole inhabitant of AG.

I know all about the ban. Although it's still better off than Mega Ray, which is now forced to be the sole inhabitant of AG.
lol if you know that mega mence was banned, and this is competitive discussion for OU, then why are you implying that mega salamence does a better job of fulfilling a similar role, when it is unable to fulfill this role, due to being banned to ubers?

lol if you know that mega mence was banned, and this is competitive discussion for OU, then why are you implying that mega salamence does a better job of fulfilling a similar role, when it is unable to fulfill this role, due to being banned to ubers?
I had a brain fart, okay?

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
Pidgeot is nice But has many drawbacks that make it difficultly viable on a team. first of all that meh coverage which makes it easily wallable by common OU pokemon like tran and ttar, secondly that speed tier that is at the same time Good and disappointing because it is outsped by fast offensive threats, especially the irritating ninja. Finally it faces a lot of competition for that mega slot. Honestly i probably would never choose it over Tornadus-t that doesn't take the mega slot, is a great offensive pivot, has better coverage and it has recovery without having to use a moveslot, its only flaw compared to pidgeot is that miss chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)