Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Actually I'll ask a better question: What are some non grass type leads that beat breloom and can you give me an example of the opening lines? It seems like pokemon either have to be spore immune or have some specific way of dealing with focus sash like sandstorm.
Lum Berry and Safety Goggles can both screw Breloom over a lot, especially if you make a habit of going for the first turn Spore. Leads with priority can take Breloom out in two turns while only having to risk one turn of action on Breloom's side, making Lum Berry + priority a great combination for taking Breloom down quickly. Sometimes Azumarill carry Lum Berry, for example, so if your opponent leads with an Azumarill vs your Breloom don't waste time and go straight for the Bullet Seed. Mega Heracross is another Pokémon that beats Breloom up a bunch. If it speed creeps for base 70s, it can outspeed on the first turn and bust straight through you with Skill Link Pin Missile. Obviously this also applies for other Skill Link/multihit abusers like Mamoswine or the very rare Cincinno - Cloyster isn't as much of a problem as it is naturally slower and can just be Spored. Most other things are ether really rare or sort of random, like Sleep Talk on choiced mons like Talonflame or the occasional Insomnia/Vital Spirit carrier, although those are rare enough to be negligible.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
noobius the problem with your team seems to be that you've just slapped together 6 of the best Pokemon in the meta together with no real thought of how they work with each other. Just because things like M-Mence, M-Kang, Aegi etc are considered top threats doesn't mean they can go to work by themselves, they still need the right support to succeed.

M-Mence and M-Kang are the two best Pokemon created this generation, and everybody knows that. So you can't just slap them on a team and go 'yep I'm done let's play', you need to consider what other players are going to do to stop you and how you will stop them from doing that. Your win condition is to get M-Mence set up so it can sweep, but you need to get rid of its checks and counters before that. This is fundamental team building which I won't get into because I'm on my phone and there are countless articles all over the site for that. Just remember that if you are going to roll with a few popular attackers on your team then you have to realise that the metagame is already geared towards dealing with those (which should actually make teambuilding easier for you because you already know what to look out for).

As for Tyranitar, you could go with a bulky Assault Vest set, a Dragon Dance set could also be good but you already have a few set-uppers. Regardless of what set you run, you already start the mind games in team preview because you have 3 potential megas sitting there (Kang is obvious, but they don't know whether you're running other sets on Mence / Ttar because you obviously can't mega evolve twice in one battle, and both Mence + Ttar are viable as non-megas).

It sounds like you're playing on-cart, I would suggest playing around on Pokemon Showdown! a bit so you can try an infinite amount of things without having to breed first, then when you have a solid idea for a team, breed it up and carve up the in-game ladder (I always get a little disheartened when I breed something without testing and it doesn't work out)

noobius a lot of things screw breloom over. Like ethan06 (sorry i like tagging people its fun) said lum berry and safety googles. Also most things that are faster then breloom can take a spore and break brelooms sash or bring breloom to its sash. Also a lot of things faster that can burn breloom (with things like will-o or scald) can shut breloom down for the entire game. Also (teambuilding lecture incoming) you can't simply just 6 pokemon from the top 20 ussage list and call it a day. one way i build a team is a take a pokemon or two that i want to use. I then add pokemon to the team that i think will support those/the star of the team. At the same time i want the team to have synergy. snyergy is something that if you don't have on a team i belive you have lost. Synergy is......its where your team complements each other (and i don't mean mega kangaskhan says to mega salamence you look nice in that tie tonight). Your pokemon on the team have to fulfill roles on the team. For instance Mega Salamence would be my set-up sweeper and physical attacker. Sylveon would be my special wall. Sylveon covers mega salamences weaknesses and can wish pass (kinda hard to do in battle spot but meh). thats kinda what i mean. Another way i build my teams is i make of team of mons that counter the likes of mega kangaskhan and mega salamence (and whatever else i think could hit the team hard and is actually used. But when you do something like that (going back to synergy) you haave to have synergy. Every pokemon has to fulfill a role on the team that another does not. (worlds longest pokemon lecture :) its also importaint to not have pokemon overlaping each other's weaknesses. This isn't too hard just figure out what type is weak to what and resists what.

Next things next, for battling you need to have a bit of common sense (not trying to sound like an ass, sorry if i sound like it). By this i mean if you have an azumarill and it will kill all 5 pokemon on your opponents team bring it. But your opponent also has a venusaur (mega) and it will stop azumarill cold. (Going back to teambuilding) have something on the team that can handle the likes of mega venusaur. Aslo you should try out and test teams on pokemon showdown. Test things and hang out in the battle spot room on showdown. Its a cool room with a lot of people who could help you.

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a quick question: will there be possible distributions for kalos-born legendaries like Landorus in the future? Having a Landorus-t makes a world of a difference in double battles.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a quick question: will there be possible distributions for kalos-born legendaries like Landorus in the future? Having a Landorus-t makes a world of a difference in double battles.
I believe EnGarde will be cloning soon so if anyone happens to have a flawless Lando try to send it to her for cloning. I also really want a gen 6 Landorus so I'll be seeing what I can do about it.

DragonWhale

is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I believe EnGarde will be cloning soon so if anyone happens to have a flawless Lando try to send it to her for cloning. I also really want a gen 6 Landorus so I'll be seeing what I can do about it.
Do I need to do anything special to receive these clones? I don't have much to offer, unfortunately.

DragonWhale

DragonWhale I believe it's just a Bunnelby or such. The point of the giveaways is to make it easy to get into the metagame so obviously driving a hard bargain would be somewhat counterproductive :^)
Awesome! I'll be waiting patiently for that! (I'll put effort on my end to get the ideal Lando as well, but only RNG will tell if I can contribute to the distribution in time)

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys, I've been occupied with other games lately but lmk if there's any special projects for the forum you guys would like to see (I know Singles Rankings needs an update, but besides that). I haven't been able to ladder in-game yet, but if there's anything you guys need I'm here for you :)

Is there a guide somewhere on how EVs work at LV 50, Jump numbers etc?I was gonna get into this, but ORAS release stopped me, I will get ORAS in about 4 days, so I need to plan a good team :P

What pokemon should I build around?I don't wanna do khan or Aegislash, what else is a good pokemon to start with?

What pokemon should I build around?I don't wanna do khan or Aegislash, what else is a good pokemon to start with?
This is a good question. I too wanna get into the 3 vs 3 but I don't wanna use Mega Mom or Salamence has my mega. Your avatar makes me wanna use Lucario. How good do you people think he is in this meta? Aegislash would be a bitch I assume. Special? Physical?

This is a good question. I too wanna get into the 3 vs 3 but I don't wanna use Mega Mom or Salamence has my mega. Your avatar makes me wanna use Lucario. How good do you people think he is in this meta? Aegislash would be a bitch I assume. Special? Physical?
mega lucario functions very well in the 3v3 singles meta. It has so much power, its new ability after mega evolving (don't remember the name but it boosts STAB moves). Personally i think if you want to win you should almost always go with mega kangaskhan or mega salamence but i respect your decision not to. If you want to run lucario you can run the standard physical set (SD, BulletPunch, E-speed, and close combat) and be walled by aegislash. This can be taken care on by something like Landorus or heatran. If you choose to run Special Lucario thne run this. Nasty Plot, Flash Cannon, Aura Sphere/Vacuum Wave, Vacuum Wave/Dark Pulse. Nasty plot is a must have for the ability to take teams to school. Flash Cannon is your Special STAB. Now if you want to be able to hit aegislash you can run dark pulse (witch isn't STAB) but this will cause you to choose between priority or power (Aura Sphere or Vacuum Wave is the choice you have to make). From my experience its a bit hard to find the opportunity to set up a nasty plot and plus mega Lucario is pretty fast.

DragonWhale

Right now, a mixed attacker is better off being special just due to the sheer number of intimidating Salamences. Aura sphere (or focus blast for the daring) and flash cannon are a must, and the rest depends on your teammates. If you want to attack solo, you would want protect to get the crucial speed boost from mega evolving (especially against a Mega Kangaskhan). If you want to sweep with support, I would recommend a pokemon like yawn Hippowdon/Swampert to get a free turn of nasty plotting, and it serves as a good switch in to a lot of pokemon that beat Lucario like Blaziken, Zapdos, Talonflame, and Aegislash. It's a really hard combination to use effectively (hence why the usage is pretty low), but if you yawn at the right turn, you're looking at a free +2 sweeping opportunity. It's similar to the Swampert/Mega Pinsir combo that you see from time to time in XY.

Although Mega Kangaskhan and Salamence are both very powerful threats, there are quite a lot of people at the top of the Showdown ladder with none of them at the moment. They are definitely worth considering to put on a team but this isn't a Mega Salamence/Khan or die metagame! Other megas that I have seen perform very well there include Mega Lopunny, Sableye, Mawile, both Charizards and Metagross. Furthermore, the lesser used megas aren't prepared for as much so you may actually have a more successful time with them since they aren't as (over)prepared for like Salamence is at the moment.

Age of Kings Maybe a Good Cores in ORAS Battlespot could help with these sort of team building questions? Team building in the 3v3 environment is quite different from standard Smogon 6v6 because of less hazard control, the possibility of two megas, damage calc differences (Things generally hurt more at level 50), not knowing what the opponent will bring, etc. I might not be able to contribute that much to that discussion but would like to brainstorm/test ideas there!

CCAT is also a good way to learn the team building process. We've already had triples so maybe we could do one for Singles since I think that's what most people are playing :)

Last edited:
Are you having difficult to find XY double spot players? Im spending far more time looking for someone to play than before ORAS release.

Are you having difficult to find XY double spot players? Im spending far more time looking for someone to play than before ORAS release.
It is indeed difficult, but since battle spot now has two different settings, one with XY and one for Pentagon pokémon only, and with the new Megas available, my suggestion was to create this new place to play there. It's hard to test teams without it.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Prof. Almeida, I'm not involved with Showdown so I'm not entirely sure what's going on. It's certainly possible to create a ladder for it on Showdown, but it might not be a top priority right now, or it might just have not crossed anyone's mind. You might want to get into contact with a Showdown mod or developer, or ask in the questions thread in their forum (make sure you read all the rules first though!).

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Age of Kings Maybe a Good Cores in ORAS Battlespot could help with these sort of team building questions? Team building in the 3v3 environment is quite different from standard Smogon 6v6 because of less hazard control, the possibility of two megas, damage calc differences (Things generally hurt more at level 50), not knowing what the opponent will bring, etc. I might not be able to contribute that much to that discussion but would like to brainstorm/test ideas there!

CCAT is also a good way to learn the team building process. We've already had triples so maybe we could do one for Singles since I think that's what most people are playing :)
Thanks for your ideas. At the moment I can't contribute to the former Good Cores idea because of lack of experience on the new ladder, but I like the latter. I think we got a request for doubles or rotation?

It is indeed difficult, but since battle spot now has two different settings, one with XY and one for Pentagon pokémon only, and with the new Megas available, my suggestion was to create this new place to play there. It's hard to test teams without it.
Yeah.. I'd like a XY Doubles on Showdown too. It's the only format I'm semi-decent at at this point, and it looks like I have to win at least one match to chat in the rooms on Showdown, so.. Yeah, you guys might see me but not hear from me there, now that I FINALLY remembered my Showdown pw. xD

Edit: Apparently I won in the time I wasn't playing, so maybe you guys will hear from me. (OR it might just be because the servers are down...) xP

Last edited:

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Hey guys! I just got back from a wonderful vacation! ^_^ So, if you need distribution pokemon, I'm available to send stuff out. I'm currently compiling a list of everything I've got but haven't added to the list yet (link in sig), and I intend to update the master post as well to be a little less ambiguous.

Sneak preview: I've finished SRing my timid pentagon latios, which I intend to add to the distribution. I'm also hoping to get a few other pentagon legendaries as donations soon, but since those trades have not gone through yet, I won't list them here yet.

If anyone here has pentagon legendaries in particular to share, as well ORAS megas, please PM me.

Please realize that pokemon offered will be distributed en masse to the battle spot community. As a general rule, I ask that people only offer things you collected yourself. I run my distribution within the rules of the wifi forum, meaning: (1) no hacks, and (2) I don't break redistribution rights. The second rule means that I recognize that collecting these pokemon is very time-consuming, so I believe the original person who collected the pokemon has a say in how it's traded (this is widely recognized in the wifi sub-forum here in Smogon). That means, it's very important to me that the original person who collected the pokemon knows that I'm going to mass-trade their pokemon, and are giving me permission to do so.

Do I need to do anything special to receive these clones? I don't have much to offer, unfortunately.
All pokemon I distribute for battle spot are free for anyone, like Hulavuta said. Let me know what you need, but please post your request in my thread (link in sig). That helps me keep organized, and I might accidentally miss your request if posted anywhere else. ^_^ I'm also often lurking in battle spot's IRC channel, so feel free to look for me there. It might take me a few minutes to see it, since I'm often playing smash while I'm online. ;)

Looking for opinions on my anti-lead Pangoro
(Haven't breed yet looking for ideas first)

Pangoro@ jolly @ mold breaker (lol sabeleye)
31/31/31/x/31/31
252 att 252 spe 4 HP

Knock off
Parting shot
Taunt
Circle throw

Thoughts on an item or diffrent build?
Focus sash would prevent a ohko or maybe mental herb to block a faster/prankster taunt?

My idea with this guy is that he can demolish ever magic bouncer easily crippling the teams objective of hazard denial, and being able to essentially choose who you fight (parting/circle) gives him mobility

Last edited:

DragonWhale

Looking for opinions on my anti-lead Pangoro
(Haven't breed yet looking for ideas first)

Pangoro@ jolly @ mold breaker (lol sabeleye)
31/31/31/x/31/31
252 att 252 spe 4 HP

Knock off
Parting shot
Taunt
Circle throw

Thoughts on an item or diffrent build?
Focus sash would prevent a ohko or maybe mental herb to block a faster/prankster taunt?

My idea with this guy is that he can demolish ever magic bouncer easily crippling the teams objective of hazard denial, and being able to essentially choose who you fight (parting/circle) gives him mobility
There's a lot of dead weight on that set IMO. It seems to be too focused on being anti-magic bounce, especially sableye. Usage of those preferred opponents aside, all you need is parting shot and magic bouncers will switch out on their own. That removes the need for mold breaker as an ability and maybe even taunt (even though I do have a philosophy that taunt is NEVER useless, but I digress).

Most people use pangoro to help set-up sweepers (most notably DD mence). I wouldn't recommend Circle throw because pangoro doesn't take hits too well and it has a bad matchup against a lot of common pokemon in the game, which means you don't really have the liberty to 'pick your opponent'. Scrappy + storm throw is recommended because it deals with aegislash well. Knock off is really good for a lot of pokemon like gengar and porygon2. The last move can be of your choice, usually depends on what your team lacks.

I think the most useful item is choice scarf because with full speed investment it outspeeds max 110s and you can freely part away like common volt-turners do into a set-up sweeper. This is especially true when paired with mence against a physical attacker (that is not defiant): you part, send out mence, and you have a free DD turn against a -2 opponent.

Note that this is just IMO. You should try different sets and you may find something that works even better for you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)