Post college grads come here

You're the first person I have ever heard that said the grind was worth it. I have nightmares of people getting Chron's Disease from working 100+ hour weeks >.<.
I didn't work 100 hr weeks at my old shop anyway. I was efficient at passing work off when I could. I knew long term that wasn't what I wanted to do so I made it a focus to find a new place on the buyside, networked, and slacked at the end before leaving.

I didn't work 100 hr weeks at my old shop anyway. I was efficient at passing work off when I could. I knew long term that wasn't what I wanted to do so I made it a focus to find a new place on the buyside, networked, and slacked at the end before leaving.
I was led to believe that being a lawyer in a top tier corporate firm meant allnighters every night.

The latest I've ever stayed was 11.30pm, once, for something due the next day. I've worked a collective total of about 10-12 weekend hours in two years.

So, life update.

I just got a job offer today which I'm probably going to take. I will be teaching mathematics part-time while getting my masters in education (gotta increase my paycheck :]). I will be teaching pre-calculus at an all girls, catholic high school.

Unfortunately, I have to deal with seniors, which means that their motivation will be out the window since this is the lower end mathematics. But hey, a job is a job!

Hi Nog

Last edited:
I was led to believe that being a lawyer in a top tier corporate firm meant allnighters every night.

The latest I've ever stayed was 11.30pm, once, for something due the next day. I've worked a collective total of about 10-12 weekend hours in two years.
Now that I said this, I just spent 8 hours working on a public holiday long weekend.

i graduate this december with a bs in psychology. im on mobile so sorry for spelling mistakes. no real plans. i have student loan debt and im just planning on traveling amd wait for the loan bubble to burst. i want to move overseas and go to a more liberal-minded country. first plans inclide teaching english overseas, peace corps or

Graduating next month with a BSc in Computer Science. If I get the grades I'll be working as a programmer at a major investment bank from September. Not thrilled at the prospect but could be much, much worse.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
This is an awesome post, love it. I just got my MS in Electrical Engineering, doing the job hunt now. I had a lead at Northrup Grumman as they were waiting for me to graduate, but gave up on it after moral and religious convictions got the best of me. Like most American conservative Christians, I respect our soldiers and know several vets (friends in high school, bros. In law)... but I can't bring myself to design missiles that will literally rip people to shreds and destroy homes and businesses of innocent civilians. Right now I have a lead at Edison through a higher-up I serve with at church. We'll see how that goes. For now I'm tutoring math which is fuuun.
i've noticed that northrop and all the other big aerospace companies seem to be hiring more electrical and software engineers than people with mech/aero backgrounds. i kind of wish i knew that was going to be the case when i first got into undergrad.

i've noticed that northrop and all the other big aerospace companies seem to be hiring more electrical and software engineers than people with mech/aero backgrounds. i kind of wish i knew that was going to be the case when i first got into undergrad.
Yeah, about a third of all the American ECE graduates at my school go to Lockheed-Martin. I actually don't know any Mechanical friends that got hired by them.

Graduated at Mathematics in late 2011, and obtained my Masters degree early this year (February).

Currently going for PhD! (just finished the first semester)

I've always been fascinated by (pure) mathematics and my goal since high school was to teach at an university.

My area of research is Functional Analysis and geometry of Banach spaces. Specifically, studying copies of certain important Banach spaces in other spaces. (this probably sounds crazy to most of you, but hey - it kinda is)

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
So, life update.

I just got a job offer today which I'm probably going to take. I will be teaching mathematics part-time while getting my masters in education (gotta increase my paycheck :]). I will be teaching pre-calculus at an all girls, catholic high school.

Unfortunately, I have to deal with seniors, which means that their motivation will be out the window since this is the lower end mathematics. But hey, a job is a job!
Shit son. Have fun get crushed about.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm nowhere near post college grad, but I recently graduated high school and I have high ambitions and great expectations of life (i know i'll be crushed, but whatever) and a few questions here and there for the experienced. First of all, how did all of you decide on what to major in? Personally, I'm passionate about biology and I've been digging genetics a lot these past months because I've been studying it for my last year in high school, but everyone (and i mean literally, everyone) I know has been discouraging me with the excuse that there are other things I could major in that would land me better job opportunities in the current market, which is entirely in favour of engineering seeing as how Kuwait (where I live) is entirely dependent on oil, and jobs in oil companies are the best and pay the most, right after working in hospitals as a doctor, and my grades can't get me into med school.

I fucking hate maths with all my life and I'm trying to get away from it, which is a big reason why I want to major in a biology-related field other than the fact that I really love biology, and I'm not so fond of physics either. From what I've gathered, engineering is basically mostly centred around those two subjects that I hate. I've also asked around here and there about the job opportunities I would have after graduating, and I got some good answers. I could work in laboratories and for hospitals etc, and I've heard that that's not really bad at all.

So yeah, I've got two questions here: How did you choose what to major in? Did anyone else influence your choice, or did you just ignore all of them and went for what you liked the most?

II plan on getting a PhD eventually, and I'll definitely be studying abroad, but I'll have to wait and see about the PhD.

Graduated at Mathematics in late 2011, and obtained my Masters degree early this year (February).

Currently going for PhD! (just finished the first semester)

I've always been fascinated by (pure) mathematics and my goal since high school was to teach at an university.

My area of research is Functional Analysis and geometry of Banach spaces. Specifically, studying copies of certain important Banach spaces in other spaces. (this probably sounds crazy to most of you, but hey - it kinda is)
Cool, another math guy! I just graduated last semester with my master's degree and I'm about to start the first semester of my Ph.D program. I'm thinking about research in algebraic geometry but I still have some background to cover before I really get a topic. Your analysis research sounds cool though!

Cool, another math guy! I just graduated last semester with my master's degree and I'm about to start the first semester of my Ph.D program. I'm thinking about research in algebraic geometry but I still have some background to cover before I really get a topic. Your analysis research sounds cool though!

I really like Algebraic Geometry, but like any analist I suck at both Geometry and Algebra.

Good luck!

Roy

streetpkmn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Graduated from Texas A&M with a BBA in Finance last December. I started working for a major oil refiner shortly after on the crude oil trade floor. Looking to learn the business and one day trade commodities myself, either for them or another company.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Having graduated right in the aftermath of the financial crisis, I got to say that it has been a very tough path... in some ways, I blame myself for lacking more aggressiveness (proactivity), and there's always room to wish I had worked harder-- but really we can never know. Today though, I am a happy man.

I graduated from a good undergrad school with a good track record for economics (my major), but finding the (standard) work at a bank or other financial institute was basically impossible unless you were an accounting major close to (or having) your CPA. Of course I looked into many other possible jobs, but nothing really came around. It was frustrating to the point that I really really really relate with this book:

"The Lost Generation Strikes Back" (literally the same title as the Pokemon movie, but with the "Lost Generation" instead of "Mewtwo." The lost generation refers to those college grads who graduated in the years immediately following the Japanese economy's bubble burst, and amongst all the terrible years of economic slowdown following. The book's secondary protagonist (the primary is of course, Hanzawa Naoki, bad ass banker in my avatar) Moriyama is a brokerage worker from an elite school who-- guess what-- thanks to his graduation timing, barely managed to find a job, and struggled in life, often blaming the great trials of his life on the failings of the "bubble generation." Hanzawa though becomes a great mentor to him, and helps him change his attitude, and look to the future and what he can do to change it-- seeing meaningfulness in work, and the importance of "uprightness" that the world has lost sight of.

I ended up heading to Japan-- at the time I had an N2 (2nd highest of 5 levels) on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test, and wanted to pursue a higher level. While an N2 was enough to be considered "business level" in good economic times, it amounted to nothing in the midst of worldwide economic trouble. At the time, I wasn't thinking about the N1 (the highest level of proficiency in the test), and it was said that going from N2 to N1 was comparable to going from no Japanese skill to N2 (such a huge gap), I never thought I'd reach that point. But I wanted to grill my business Japanese and honorific/humble speech, so I spent most of the year out of college going to a Japanese school in Japan and interning at one of the local organizations.

At the same time, I was applying for the JET program (Japanese government sponsored program for assistant language teachers-- English teachers in other words). Ended up getting in, and worked for 2 years. During that time-- I have no idea how, but I managed to get my Japanese up to the point to pass the N1. I also met a Japanese girl and fell in love. <3

After that, I decided to go for my MBA, and joined an International MBA program with a Chinese focus. I studied for a year stateside again before going to China for a year of study abroad and internship. I worked for a year in Market research, and then the second year in digital marketing for two different companies. I also got married before heading out to China. :3 We also had a daughter that was born to us during my 2nd year winter vacation (so I was able to head back to Japan to be with my wife during the delivery).

Originally, I had planned to look for work in the US with a company that needed expertise in Asian relations, but it was at this point that I started noticing that seriously considering looking for work in Japan might be a good option. I had passed the highest level of the JLPT, and having gotten married, I now had a working visa for Japan and no need for sponsorship from a company. These are the 2 largest hurdles for any foreigner looking to consider work in Japan. With the economy picking up, and Abenomics doing it's job, I decided to be serious-- after graduating in may, I've spent the last 2 months furiously doing job hunting in Japan.

I'm glad to say I see my efforts panning out-- I found a job in marketing/brand management at a large American IT company (won't name it, but it's a long standing company you'd definitely know...) in Tokyo. It's basically my dream job-- though I imagine (and I'm ready!) they'll really grind me for all I'm worth~.

All the trial, anguish, and challenge of the years following college graduation-- it's all lead to this point. Looking back, it's crazy to think I've been out of college now more years than I'd been in it; and I never came to that moment of relief or fulfillment, the calm before the storm you expect when you get your first job out. That moment's finally here for me, and I gotta say-- it's great.

My career is just starting now, and while I worked and refined myself over the years, I really owe it to everyone who supported me-- my wife who supported me in everything and made EVERYTHING possible, my daughter who (if she hadn't been made) forced us to tie the knot (and subsequently do all the visa paperwork sooner! Also nothing lights the fire like responsibility!), my relatives who pushed me forward, all those mentors who gave me advice, and my amazing parents who provided me with the best of skills, mentorship, education, and opportunities to grow up to who I am now. (Really though, the list of friends, comrades, teachers and former employers who I should be thankful to just goes on and on)

I've finally fought my way out of limbo, and the real OU battle starts now.

Last edited:
Oh, howdy, all. Looks like I'm finished, so.... I can play Pokemon again?

I just finished my two degrees; I got a B.S. in Economics and a B.A. in political science, with minors in environmental policy and English. I'm doing the job search and feeling super useless. It's a little odd (in a strange, refreshing way) to find myself with nothing to do in my early-mid twenties. I have been getting an amazing amount of gardening done, though; if I could, I'd send you all zucchini, cucumber, kohlrabi, and cherry tomatoes through the screen. I'm drowning in them!

So, to all of you who are doing the job search: How do you keep yourself busy and motivated while searching for a job?

Oh, howdy, all. Looks like I'm finished, so.... I can play Pokemon again?
It's a little odd (in a strange, refreshing way) to find myself with nothing to do in my early-mid twenties.

So, to all of you who are doing the job search: How do you keep yourself busy and motivated while searching for a job?
I feel the same way dude! It's a relief to know that I have no academic obligations, but also a bit scary to know that nothing is guaranteed anymore.

I graduated this past May with my BA in Communications (Electronic Media), which is specific enough to point you to a general field, but not specific enough to point to a particular job. I eventually want to work in the entertainment industry, but I live in the south, so I'm going to train to be a bartender to start some sort of steady income, until I can move somewhere else.

I've kept busy by working odd jobs, having mini vacations, meeting up with old friends, etc. Most recently, I road tripped up with some friends to MD for a music festival. Little things like that are the only things keeping sane during this awkward transitioning time.

I finished an Apprenticeship back in September last year and am now doing a degree in Software Development part time at the Open University (that's in the UK for anyone confused). Since i'm doing it part time it's going to take 6 years as opposed to the usual 3, but i'm a year in already and going strong! As well as that I have a full time job as a Junior Java Developer, a regular Archery club, Singing lessons and i'm looking to get back into a band.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Just got my diploma in the mail like a real boss! BA in History is now official.

I've started just looking around for jobs but I told my parents I wanted to take a little time off after rushing through to graduate in time by the end of the summer. Ironically after having dropped out of the School of Ed I've been seeing a lot of job postings for immediate positions in schools. Not that I want to go into teaching again, but some of the part-time or substitute positions do look appealing, and I'm qualified for them lol.

I'm excited to move out of Wisconsin and out of my parent's home though. I'm kinda in a weird place right now cuz I didn't want to get an apartment in Madison without knowing when I was gonna graduate, but now that I think about it it would have been kinda nice to stay down there regardless. Don't really regret coming back home though because I get free: everything, while I'm home. Also allows me to do stuff like watch HunterxHunter for 5 days straight e.e I'm just trying to avoid a Failure To Launch kinda situation...

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gonna bump this old thread.

Life is a kind of weird thing, everything I want feels like it's years away from being possible and I have no real idea some of the ways I can get there. I just finished applying for a job that would be quite the dream, I even took the opportunity to fluff up the resume a bit more, problem is the job requirements were so broad and it is a prominent arts funding nonprofit I'll bet 500+ people applied for it. The other side of the coin is that jobs that look great have those 5+ years experience requirements and it just seems impossible to get my foot in the door. Some of the networking I've done with other arts orgs hasn't really produced anything of value and now that I'm working in overnight and retail I'm trying to figure some way to keep myself out there if networking is the magical solution to get something worth doing. I live close enough to downtown (1h 40 min commute one way) where I don't feel that moving out would give me any advantage yet either. I've taken solace in the fact I've got some great people in my life and I'm doing well enough. I'm not ready to give up on being paid to do something I love, it's just doesn't seem possible for a long time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)