ORAS Experiences

I'm sure you've all seen this already: what was up with the trainer "Delinquent Miley"? That could not have possibly been a coincidence, it had to be an intentional call-out. Shots freaking fired. I'm surprised they'd make a reference to someone still somewhat relevant to pop culture in a Pokemon game.

Any other little silly Easter eggs like this anyone has found?
"On does not simply find Mirage islands" (something to that effect). I lold

I defeated the E4 yesterday. My team was Cosplaychu, Shiftry, Metagross (the event one), Swampert, Swellow and HM Slave Linoone. As of defeating Steven, they were all between 55 and 57, with LInoone at 51.

I didn't battle every single trainer in the game, since I probably skipped some on accident and some on purpose, as I was intentionally avoiding them after I got over 50, in order to make the Elite more challenging without having to turn Exp Share off.

The experience was amazing. And the final credits, showing the highlights of the journey were amazing as well. It was really nostalgic, and I didn't think I was gonna feel that way, since OR is not my real real play, as I'm going to savour more AS. But it was really amazing.

Congrats, Nintendo, now I've just entered the Sky Pillar after defeating Wallace again.

Anyone go back to the lady staring up at the Taillow on the Mauville Roof? There's something different up there post-game, lmao.

I received and beat the game on the 21st. Now, I'm just going to let it all out. I am far from an emotional person, but I started crying at the end of this game. Ruby was my first video game so it really hit me in a soft spot. The music remixes, seeing my first video game updated for 2014, playing the story, the Pokemon; it was all just fantastic for me. The hardest part for me to play through was getting the fucking Mudkip. That cute little thing that was also my first starter EVER, and I was trying to keep it together. As a tribute, I even named it the same name my 6 year old self did, Swampy. Then my God, I always idolized Steven as a character, but hearing that music and beating him this time around, it brought back so many memories. A small touch that really hit me was the ability to show the director a Pokemon from the original game, so now, I have the poster hanging in my Secret Base with the picture of that Swampert, the favorite thing in the world to my younger self. I don't know if it hits anyone else this hard, but this was a great game, all around.

I'm becoming pretty convinced that the area you're in before accessing a portal does impact ball success rates. The success I'm having with Dive Balls on Lugia really can't be attributed to luck at this point.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This isn't going to be the most popular opinion but I really couldn't get into this, I'm already kinda bored after almost two weeks and I'm putting off softresetting legendaries. Part of my bias is that RS are actually among my least favorite main series games and HGSS is among my favorites and set the bar very high for what I expect out of Pokemon remakes.

To be more fair, I will bring up what I liked:
- The cutscenes and the lore were phenomenal. Probably the best part of the game imo. I liked the story overall and I felt that it fleshed out many of the established characters (with the exceptions of obnoxious moe stereotype Wally and Maxie/Archie's hamfisted remorse)
- QoL improvements - flying to routes, no limits on Pokeblocks, IV checker next to daycare and biking route, improvements to Synchronize, etc.
- Soaring is pretty cool
- The music, very faithful to the originals and well put together.

Unfortunately, I didn't really care for the rest of the game. Again, most of my gripes were because I disliked the original Hoenn, namely the poor Pokemon variety (which is why DexNav did nothing for me and I imported half my team from XY) and the stupid bike switching and obscene HM requirements hampering a game professed to be about exploration (I ran a team of 4 battle mons + 2 HM slaves). I know I'm going to bitch about Battle Frontier but it was my favorite part of gen 3 that was actually in the main series games and I'm finding a hard time finding things to do that isn't endless softresetting or already in XY.

There was a big feature removed and most of what was added is plagued with limits - Secret Base limits, no Wi-Fi Contests. DexNav is pretty much only for playthroughs and LO farming. Delta Episode had a great story but it's not lasting content. Overall, not my favorite entry in the series, not sorry to express a somewhat negative opinion but I prefer Sm4sh as the new game with Pokemon in it.

EDIT: To clarify I didn't run 4 HM slaves lol

Last edited:
Absolutely loved the game. Definitely one of my top favorite Pokemon games. I was a fan of R/S/E, and this game blew them out of the water. The whole thing felt so much more adventurous to me and it was amazing going through the Hoenn region again with updated everything. Really fantastic game. I'll list my favorite things out:

1. The soundtrack. Holy crap it's good. I didn't hear one them I disliked and seriously, I was almost in tears from the Archie battle theme. The Sapphire/Team Aqua fanboy in me couldn't handle the intensity of this soundtrack, ESPECIALLY at Mt. Chimney. The lead-up to the battle, and the intense marching song that played before it.. Then the track started.. Creepy piano opening followed by true-to-original brass theme, and then BAM. Holy crap it was amazing. Then again, I am a sucker for good video game soundtracks.
2. The character development!! RSE lacked this, but this game made it feel much more in-depth. Archie, Shelly, and Matt were actual characters and not mindless drones doing the bid of their evil leader. The lines in the game were often comical, and definitely very brilliant. I felt like they were extra detailed when planning lines. May was an awesome rival, and when I battled her (this is also going back to the music thing which was amazing) I felt like I was actually battling my rival but she's also a friend. Wally, Steven, and Wallace all got little upgrades too in their development.
3. The extra background in the story. Super cool to actually have more detail of what the story of Groudon and Kyogre are. Team Aqua's goals were more clear. The Delta Episode (while short) was amazing.
  • -piggybacking off of that I really like how mysterious Deoxys still is even after all this. Like suddenly it appeared and there is still so much mystery surrounding it which I think is cool.
4. Actual challenges. When I say this I mean Steven lol. I lost to him twice before finally beating him ;(
5. Archie is hot.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Exploring Mauville, I couldn't help but notice that Pokémon has started to show some growth pains as a franchise. Namely, legendaries requiring a way to change Formes have begun to demand a lot of locations specifically dedicated to them. There's a mirror shop dedicated to the Genies. A couple of blocks away, a shop exists exclusively to tutor Relic Song and Secret Sword to Meloetta and Keldeo, respectively. Not far down the street, a guy is "waiting for Genesect". Deoxys requires there to be meteorites present in the region, whereas the Gracidea for Shaymin or Rotom's crates can be put pretty much anywhere. GameFreak appears to have settled for the "it's just lying around in some corner" approach to Kyurem's Gene Splicers and Giratina's Griseous Orb already.

As the franchise progresses through generations, I can't help but wonder how this will be in the future. For every generation, the games become increasingly complex, with more and more tiny elements requiring a bit of the programmers' attention. I'm afraid Pokémon is starting to show signs of "content inflation", and that the games can't keep doing what they have always done in the past: piling up new things on top of the others, and paying an equal amount of attention to everything. It's not hardware limitations, it's developer limitations (and also player limitations, eventually: By now they can apply the "gotta catch 'em all" slogan to Legendaries, but not realistically to every Pokémon species).

In short, Pokémon isn't infinitely scaleable.

It's not that I'm worried yet. Gen. VI seems to have acknowledged the problem, by reducing the number of new species and legendaries introduced in a generation, instead developing (major) new content to brush up existing Pokémon. It's just that I think ORAS is the first game where the sheer scope of the existing content is getting obvious. This, I guess, is mainly because the region has already been designed, and they can't just cram in new tutors in old places wherever they want. Designing a new game, you can make an entire town dedicated to brushing up old content (such as legendaries), but in remaking one you have to place it within the pre-existing world somewhere, without deviating too much from the original experience. GameFreak decided to go for the third option, re-designing an area entirely, and dedicating a fair amount of it to old legendaries. That's why it's so visible in ORAS. I think the inevitable Gen. VII games will be a lot more subtle about it, but it might be back in full force if they decide to make another remake.

So I caught a Snorunt and I've been using it when I noticed that it gains "boosted experience" like if it was holding a Lucky Egg or if it was traded, except it's not traded and it's not holding anything. (Strange thing is, I was using a Lucky Egg earlier to train it) Is there something new I'm missing that would cause that or what?

So I caught a Snorunt and I've been using it when I noticed that it gains "boosted experience" like if it was holding a Lucky Egg or if it was traded, except it's not traded and it's not holding anything. (Strange thing is, I was using a Lucky Egg earlier to train it) Is there something new I'm missing that would cause that or what?
Being past the level at which it would evolve into Glalie boosts experience gain. Affection in Pokémon-Amie also boosts experience gain.

Last edited:
I received and beat the game on the 21st. Now, I'm just going to let it all out. I am far from an emotional person, but I started crying at the end of this game. Ruby was my first video game so it really hit me in a soft spot. The music remixes, seeing my first video game updated for 2014, playing the story, the Pokemon; it was all just fantastic for me. The hardest part for me to play through was getting the fucking Mudkip. That cute little thing that was also my first starter EVER, and I was trying to keep it together. As a tribute, I even named it the same name my 6 year old self did, Swampy. Then my God, I always idolized Steven as a character, but hearing that music and beating him this time around, it brought back so many memories. A small touch that really hit me was the ability to show the director a Pokemon from the original game, so now, I have the poster hanging in my Secret Base with the picture of that Swampert, the favorite thing in the world to my younger self. I don't know if it hits anyone else this hard, but this was a great game, all around.
I thought I was the only one that cried. Even though I played OR to have a fast approach this time. I'm already thinking about how things are gonna be when I get AS and really savor it. I cried during the credits and I had Goosebumps during the whole delta episode. The music and atmosphere were just plain amazing.

Finally finished Delta Episode! I thought that hours of SRing for Rayquaza would ruin the pacing and buildup of the story, but other than the sky repeatedly switching from star-studded nighttime to brilliant blue noontime when I finally advanced the story, I immediately got back in to the awesome story! The going to space sequence was deliciously cheesy (that music is from a Sonic 3d game, right?), but still exciting. And Deoxys' intro was ridiculously cool - even though I knew Deoxys would appear, the triangle moving in that weird way was both a nice callback and a wtf moment. And then the creepy tentacles appear, followed by the creepy/cool theme. (Then I OHKOd it)
And once again, I teared up at the ending. I mean, I suppose it's cliched or whatever, but I've really enjoyed the writing in this game, which has made really great and engaging characters. Apart from Brendan, who is super awkward and kinda bland. You would think that the addition of more cutscenes the main character isn't present for would be annoying, but it's really fleshed out the world around the main character. My new favourite character is probably that one scientist at Mossdeep who reacts hysterically to every event.
I'm now looking forward to Pokedex completion and legendary hunting. :)

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Just got the egg hatching o-power. If anyone sees me lurking around later in the night, it's because of the nightmare fuel.

I'm in the Sea Mauville right now, trying to get Beedrillite (just trying to get as many of the Mega Stones while I wait for my Berries to grow). I enter one room and it has letters from a young Professor Cosmo to his father who worked on the Sea Mauville. From what I can tell, the elder Cosmo and his wife split up and it is just sad to read these letters from a young boy who doesn't quite realize this. DAMN IT GAME FREAK, WHY DID YOU MAKE ME FEEL EMOTIONS!!!!!
Also in Sea Mauville are Mysterious Sisters Scall and Ion, who I am positive are yandere for each other (more in a familial way, not in an incestuous way). I mean, the little one, Scall, says "It doesn't matter how many times you come back! My big sister is mine and mine alone!" Another double battle team there is Young Couple Lois and Hal, which I am positive is a reference to the show Malcolm in the Middle.

I'm in the Sea Mauville right now, trying to get Beedrillite (just trying to get as many of the Mega Stones while I wait for my Berries to grow). I enter one room and it has letters from a young Professor Cosmo to his father who worked on the Sea Mauville. From what I can tell, the elder Cosmo and his wife split up and it is just sad to read these letters from a young boy who doesn't quite realize this. DAMN IT GAME FREAK, WHY DID YOU MAKE ME FEEL EMOTIONS!!!!!
Also in Sea Mauville are Mysterious Sisters Scall and Ion, who I am positive are yandere for each other (more in a familial way, not in an incestuous way). I mean, the little one, Scall, says "It doesn't matter how many times you come back! My big sister is mine and mine alone!" Another double battle team there is Young Couple Lois and Hal, which I am positive is a reference to the show Malcolm in the Middle.
There also appear to be two girls locked in a room together, one of them too shy to do anything but blush, and the other one battling to defend them both and then saying she's "teaching her how dangerous it is to be a trainer".
hmmmmmmm
Also tfw Cozmo traded Dad's Salamence for Solrock; wtf

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
You get Galladite and Gardevoirite from Cozmo and Wanda, respectively. Wishes not included.

Apparently Hot-Skitty-On-Wailord-Action is referenced by an Aqua Grunt in Lilycove, albeit indirectly. She talks about taking her 101 Skittys to visit her relative's Wailord or something along those lines.

Last edited:
So not too long ago, I beat Wallace/caught Kyogre and man, what a journey! If there was any way that I could replay the scene where I encountered Kyogre in the Cave of Origin, I would watch that over and over because really, it's so awesome. @__@; The best part is that my battle w/Kyogre was entirely with the 3D on so it looked even better.

So not too long ago, I beat Wallace/caught Kyogre and man, what a journey! If there was any way that I could replay the scene where I encountered Kyogre in the Cave of Origin, I would watch that over and over because really, it's so awesome. @__@; The best part is that my battle w/Kyogre was entirely with the 3D on so it looked even better.
Well... you technically are able to play it over and over. Knock out Kyogre, then come back to CoO in aftergame, save before Kyogre, go to it and it'll repeat the cutscene.
I know this because I have to do it for softresetting Groudon. Joyyy

Just beat Steven... Damn, Mega Metagross is a freaking beast! It alone mopped the floor with half my team, and they were all just one or two levels lower than it! Far cry from Diantha, this is a real Champion fight.

...Gonna have to prepare a team to fight his rematch team at some point.

Wait, they named the meteor shower in the Delta Episode... (nice Rayquaza appearing theme, BTW. Really brings back memories of playing Emerald) after Litleo? Why not Solrock? You didn't have to call near everything after stuff in Kalos, Game Freak...

Last edited:
Just beat Steven... Damn, Mega Metagross is a freaking beast! It alone mopped the floor with half my team, and they were all just one or two levels lower than it! Far cry from Diantha, this is a real Champion fight.

...Gonna have to prepare a team to fight his rematch team at some point.

Wait, they named the meteor shower in the Delta Episode... (nice Rayquaza appearing theme, BTW. Really brings back memories of playing Emerald) after Litleo? Why not Solrock? You didn't have to call near everything after stuff in Kalos, Game Freak...
Yeah, I was overleveled, and MegaMeta took my Earthquake like a champ, and halved MegaScept's HP from a Meteor Mash. Good job I was faster...

Also, the meteor showers are a play on the real-life meteor shower, the Leonids. Quite clever actually :)

Yeah, I was overleveled, and MegaMeta took my Earthquake like a champ, and halved MegaScept's HP from a Meteor Mash. Good job I was faster...

Also, the meteor showers are a play on the real-life meteor shower, the Leonids. Quite clever actually :)
I see. Mega Metagross ate my Mega Gardevoir's Shadow Ball like it was nothing and then Meteor Mash for the KO. Then Giga Impact my Camerupt. Ate Azumarill's Waterfall like a champ, twice, and then finished with Zen Headbutt. Sceptile was the one to clinch it with X-Scissor.

And now I may not sleep well tonight over the terrible thing I'm about to unleash... All for the sake of Hatching Power.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)