Any House fans here?

Who is your favorite female House character?

• Lisa Cuddy

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Allison Cameron

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Remy "Thirteen" Hadley

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Amber Volakis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martha Masters

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Jessica Adams

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Chi Park

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Who is your favorite female character in the show? My favorite character is Martha Masters, because she has autistic mannerism, and we share many personality traits. For instance, I never engage in small talk or use affectations; speak with blunt candor instead of being unctuous or cordial; and often state the first thing that comes to my mind. I even look like her (we have almost identical facial features, although I am shorter, thinner, and have black hair) and dress like her too, preferring boots and using black hose or stocking when I am not, usually wearing sleeves, moderate length skirts (usually at knee length) or pants, and sparingly use makeup.

Tamblyn said in interviews that her character has an unusual dress sense, is prone to blurting out anything that comes into her head, and will not be afraid of saying no to House. Her intellect rivals that of House and some reviews have speculated that she might seem like a young version of the doctor; however it has also been said that Martha has an I.Q. that is twenty points lower than House. Tamblyn said Masters likely has Asperger's syndrome and said House probably does too.

Tamblyn said Masters will be like the little sister of the men on the team and they will not find her intellect sexually appealing. Tamblyn describes the character as an outcast and a "cute little nerd."

Donovan notes that Masters will always speak up even when she’s outranked, she makes and displays paper airplanes for fun, and is obsessed with facial symmetry. She reminded her those traits bother most people, but House wouldn’t care about them as long as she performed well.
http://house.wikia.com/wiki/Martha_M._Masters

I really enjoyed the show. In fact, didn't even start watching until this year ever since I coincidentally saw the second episode where House was in a mental hospital. I do enjoy the subtle of the show and its rather deep themes that arises in the interaction between House's team and the case patient and House and the other characters. House reminds me of Paul/Shinji from Pokemon, largely indifferent to people (even his own brother for Paul; House does not want to associate with his case patients and has an aversion for clinic duty) and quite cynical about idealist people (Paul with Ash's philosophy for Pokemon training and Cynthia's "When every life meets another life..."; House with many of his patient and especially the religiously devout); although House is more sarcastic and more willing to offend and insult people, and Paul is more callous, competitive, and ambitious.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
House doesn't have autism, this was addressed in the show long before Tamblyn ever showed up, so I'm a bit dubious about her claim that Masters does.

Ah but then you went and compared it to Pokemon ok.

House doesn't have autism, this was addressed in the show long before Tamblyn ever showed up, so I'm a bit dubious about her claim that Masters does.

Ah but then you went and compared it to Pokemon ok.
Masters does seem autistic, but it wasn't officially mentioned on the show. She really doesn't fit in with the team, and goes off on tangents about subjects that few people care about, such as architecture.

Masters would be the type of person who would compare something like a television show to another television of a different genre. I just thought about that when writing this thread, not because this is a Pokemon site. Actually, I understand that most people on this website doesn't even the anime. I never even watched, nor want to, of any of the Unova or Kalos, and very few (less than 5) of Hoenn episodes, although I did watch the first and second season and all of the D&P episodes involving Paul.

To continue, Paul knows how to ruse Ash and stay a step ahead, just like House could do with his team and the Dean of Medicine, whether it is Cuddy or Foreman. In the recent episode I saw, he manipulated his liver function by taking St. John's wort, in order for a stool sample, which his team collected in bathroom, to likely indicate he has hepatic encephalopathy and likely mentally incompetent to practice medicine.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
For fuck's sake, just because someone has higher than normal intelligence, which happens to color her conversations with others or make them awkward doesn't make them autistic what the fuck. That's not only ignorant but insensitive of the people who are actually autistic.
As someone who regularly interacts with mild to hardcore autistic people as an instructor in music therapy, I can say that autism is completely different.

tl;dr: awkard intelligent individual =/= autistic.

I know that intelligence has little bearing to whether a person is "autistic" or not, since it is most likely how abstract (instead of concrete) their obsessive interests that is indicative of intelligence. But intelligence is usually the metric to determine whether an individual is "high-functioning" or not, although highly intelligent autistic people can be severely socially disabled too. Yes, I agree autistics are not stereotypical nerds who play D&D and Magic: the Gathering, since those nerds are often social, but they just do not fit in with other cliques. (Or even shut-ins that play WoW.) While an autistic person can be competent in Magic: the Gathering (D&D seems too social for an autistic) by focusing on the competitive metagame and formulating strategies, they would not thrive in the social atmosphere. In a conversation there, they would likely give a monologue about the merits of a particular card, discussing what particular decks it would be effective in or against, or whether its effect justifies the mana cost and other activation restriction, instead of talking about typical topics. In general, autistic conversations tend to focus less on things normal people can relate to, and more on subjects less-connected with human interpersonal relationships such as the efficacy of a Magic: the Gathering card in my previous example, certain nuanced theological doctrines, roller coasters, or scientific antirealism.

I really do not regard high-functioning autism as a serious disability as I believe that having an IQ of 90, which by definition is not uncommon as it is only .66 standard deviations below the mean, is more debilitating (in the context of career of career opportunities) than having an IQ of 120 and being autistic. People with low IQ are disabled in the sense they lack the cognitive faculties to succeed in an academic setting to acquire academic credentials that are valued in the labor market or be able to master a cognitively demanding (and highly remunerative) job. (See Michael Spence's signalling theory of economics for an elaboration of this.) However, ceteris paribus, Autism is disadvantageous since autistics are less likely to thrive in an occupational or social setting than some with similar educational credentials and intelligence. This is not a "true" disability, but more of a statement that their personality traits are less valued by the labor market and their social conduct can be discomfiting. The first-order consequences of autism is not pathological, but the general lack of career accomplishment (as a stated before this seems to be more relative than absolute) and social incompetence can lead to financial difficulties, personal insecurity and lack of confidence, social isolation, and emotional issues that are pathological.

Masters does not suffer from these issues, and her character can lead misconceptions about autism than can lead to people to dismiss the plight of other autistics because she is successful and her character can deal with House. But she is just a character the writers put there so the show can be entertaining, and one should consider whether the writers on the show did not regard a more "typical" autistic would be as entertaining. Masters' character is to entertain even if that means downplaying the debilitating aspects of autism or utilizing (albeit inaccurate) stereotypes about autism, not to bring awareness to autism, and the writers are under no obligation clarify these misconceptions. I happen to like the character because I can relate to her the most.

I was actually diagnosed as an autistic by a psychiatrist after the DSM-5 can out (the one where it no longer officially acknowledges "Asperger syndrome") although I do not know he holds it in high regard. My actual conversions are colored with references to topics and issues most people are unfamiliar with; I tend to dominate conversations but engaging monologues and leave little opening for dialogues (my responses to questions tend to highly qualified, detailed, and highlights various nuances and intricacies instead of being direct and terse); and I am totally oblivious to non-verbal cues, and never maintain eye contact. While I am usually silent in social situations, I am not timid when talking about a subject that I regard to be in my domain of competence and I often like to be challenged and discuss controversial topics.

Last edited:

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I really didn't like Martha Masters tbh, I would be dubious of any reading of House (i have watched this show obsessively) that relies on a supposed serious impact on the development of House's character by Masters. She was interesting, superficially and could be scene as a variation of the common house-like character. Foremen, Masters, 13, Cutthroat Bitch, and especially Chase (the best 'female' character on house) all contributed to one of the motifs of the show: People around House are forced to view (i.e think a shit ton about) their own self (their own identity), through their interactions with House, who embodies the unknowable, the enigma, the freak who exposes the paradox in norms by defying them. By coming into contact with a power structure dominated by House, which means a power structure that forces the rejection of certain norms and replaces them with Housisms, which are self-righteous, selfish, and profoundly inward, the characters change and become more house-like as they come to see themselves within the terms that house views 'the world' (if you will). Anyway, thats how I read Masters, as part of this motif. One might ask how Masters changed during her time around house, and whether she changed to become less or more like him, and in what ways she is similar or different from House? as part of a project to unwrap House's weirdness, his freakishness, which illudes simple patholigization (psychiatry is no help for him), criminalization (he is only mildly criminal, and in the way his world view allows), and other characterizations.

I suppose my favorite character is Chase, and you cant really talk about him without bringing up cameron. Chase overcomes his fear of justice through his time working with House. Early in the series Chase 'betrays' House during the police investigation into House's vicodin problem, and if I recall correctly Chase is the first to be fired by House (I've watched this show a shit ton I swear). This betrayal could be seen as a selfish act, since it damages House and immunizes Chase from possible procecution. Later in the series however, Chase would sacrifice a relationship with Cameron in order to kill an African autocrat set to genocide a minority tribe. Cameron, though more morally-focused than Chase, ultimately cannot put channel her morality in to a killing act, indicating that she is ultimately bound by norms more than by her own feelings and reasoning: this advent leads to her flight from House, who's influence she is now aware of...

i could talk about this shit all day.

I have seen "The Tyrant". I think Chase's decision to kill Dibala (the dictator) was his simple utilitarian judgment trumping over medical ethics and religious codes that emphasizes the sanctity of life (Chase is a non-practicing Catholic) because he ultimately justifies the act as preventing the genocide of the minority tribe. Chase was also moved by a conversation of a man (who later tried to assassinate Dibala in the hospital) who was regretful for being involved in a gang that raped a woman who was a member of the minority tribe, and by the unapologetic, self-righteous attitude of Dibala (as he defended his authoritarian as necessary to bring order and stability to his country instead of allowing it being under siege by a minority group). I remember Dibala goading Cameron to kill him, but he remarks that she doesn't have the courage and conviction to do so, while Dibala possesses the decisiveness to bring what he perceives as stability to his country instead of anarchy. Furthermore, one could also see this as Chase's feelings dominating since he was rather uneasy after hearing the conversation with that man, and he did not want to be complicit with Dibala's future genocide as opposed to following some moral principle. However, I did not see many of the early season episodes, and I have little insight about this from the perspective of character development.

I do not think Masters has changed much, although working with House has lead to self-discovery for her, ultimately that she is uncomfortable with working with him. As she was about to leave, she says to House she "does not want to be here", although it was quite ambiguous what this precisely means, whether she does not want to work at Princeton-Plainsbrough Teaching Hospital in House's vicinity where she would be tempted to work for him again or she does not want to be a doctor. Masters' idiosyncratic ethical code seems less to do with moral absolutes and abstract principles, but more with personal integrity, respectful other people's preferences (such as not withholding information about treatment to the patient or to break in their homes without their permission), and a belief in the inherent goodness in all people, such as the patient's. She is actually much more flexible than stereotypical religious people: I heard a few homilies from conservative priests that deride moral relativism and utilitarianism (without even knowing what utilitarianism really entails and how mild it actual is in most of its applications) that confirm these stereotypes, and I rolled my eyes when I heard this. In contrast, House is less idealistic and more attuned to the less flattering aspects of humanity, as he believes most people are motivated by self-interest, present misinformation and omission (that often hinder the diagnostic team) selfishly or to protect someone close to them and often insults principled patients (such as whistle-blower soldiers and religious patients). However, it seems doubtful whether House would like Masters more if she was willing to flout the rules because they are inconvenient strictures or interfere with her pursuing her interests, since House did not like it when a bartender relented as a customer's suggestion to serve him (after House was acting quite peevishly) because he saw that as the bartender compromising his principles quite easily. This would indicate the House somewhat respects Masters because she can tenacious adhere to a moral code and can challenge his judgments and methods. Both House and Masters do not want to be subservient to a system or the interests of others, as Masters' strong sense of integrity (which one can argue that she is ultimately selfish) prevents her from working with House and continuing compromising her principles, while House believes that others will discern that his unorthodox style and methods is ultimately justified by his uncanny ability to reach diagnoses that nonplus other doctors. There is always a reason for everything House does (when dealing with cases) aside from simply defying the rules or upsetting Cuddy/Foreman.

===
Finally, 680 words where I can talk directly about House, instead of going off on tangents about Paul and autism.

And yes, I did bring up Paul (by comparing myself to him) in conversations I had with other people who never watched Pokemon. Such as a Catholic group I attend.

Myzozoa

How is the medicalized discourse of saving and killing in any way not a 'norm', in the context of of a hospital? Cameron, in my interpretation, chose the norms of dominant contextual moralities and legalities that confronted her, over her feelings of justice. You are confusing and misunderstanding morality by supposing (and you cannot discharge such a supposition, imo, without even more unacceptable assumptions) that feeling is somehow not moral or not related to moral decisions and thus morality, since Aristotle and everyone else will tell you that morality is something that consists in acts, and it is a simple fact that emotions affect people's decisions. There can be moral feeling, that is precisely what Kant defined duty as... Whether or not Chase was motivated by a principle or by his feelings is not relevant, and further you suppose that his act was motivated by a utilitarian principle, but I could also characterize the act as demonstrative of some other principle if I were to so choose, such as wanting to express the radical moral insecurity he feels under houses' gaze, as I already did. "any action may be made out to accord with any rule"- Wittgenstein or someone in that vein.

This is media interpretation, you can bs the philosophy however you want as long as can site some details to support it, I don't really think there needs to be debates on the validity of an interpretation that relate to how that interpretation understands philosophy. We all know that I will do the philosophy debates, since I have no self control, but it will kill thread.

Also, IQ is nothing more than a measurement of how white washed someone is.

Last edited:
This certainly goes beyond the scope of "The Tyrant" and subsequent episodes (I did not see most of them after "The Tyrant"). There is indeed an ethical norm where doctors qua doctors should focus on treating patients as opposing to inflicting harm or terminating their lives. This is why it is taboo for doctors and nurses to participate in lethal injection (which is usually performed by medical technicians) since they do not want to be the instruments for instituting the punishment of the statement. (This reluctance is more concerned with the role of doctors as opposed to the humane treatment of condemned prisoners; even lethal injection itself is controversial, outside of whether the termination of life is morally justified, since it can conceal the suffering of the inmate due to the paralytic agent used.) However, there is also a conflict in the show where House and Wilson attend a medical conference, and House prudently advises against Wilson from delivering a speech endorse euthanasia (to prevent extreme suffering and disability) and it even contained a personal account where he passively euthanized a patient as it would damage his reputation. House incapacitated Wilson, and he delivered the speech under an assumed identity (and the audience is sympathetic to his message), which House justified this action because it allows Wilson to convey his thoughts about euthanasia without the professional stigma it may incur to his reputation. Furthermore, Thirteen euthanized her brother in order to keep a promise to him to shorten his suffering in the terminal stage of Huntington's disease. The writers present the issue of euthanasia with moral ambiguity as Wilson and Thirteen are portrayed sympathetically and not seen as moral pariahs, and they give the impression that euthanasia can be reasonably justified simply because it can prevent excruciating suffering. Ironically, House was the moral pariah because of his indifference to Thirteen's emotions but her performance of that harrowing deed. Indeed, a key motif in the show is to often dramatically portray the escalation of the case with novel (often unexpected) symptoms such as extreme pain or disability such as blindness or paralysis, and the view most certainly does not want to experience what the patient is experiencing. Where treatment is not possible and death is inevitable, euthanasia apparently can be justified in contravention to traditional medical ethics.

I would say that Chase was acting as an independent moral agent outside the context of medical ethics and setting of a hospital (or direction of an intelligence agency to terminate an opposing political leader). He simply portrays himself as a humanitarian hero by intervening in a critical juncture in history and capitalizing on an opportunity presented to him because of his position as a doctor (although he had to act out of the role prescribed of a doctor) because it cannot be justified in any way by conventional medical ethics or even legally. To break the forth wall, one can say that the insertion of the guy who participate in the rape of that woman from a minority tribe is to give a specific context, affect, and personal account to Dibala's crimes against humanity since simply remarking that he killed hundreds of thousands of people would not elicit such sentiments. This is the writer's means of showing and not merely telling the viewers that Dibala is bloodthirsty autocrat. Chase may still kill Dibala if he had not met that man (which I argue before was simply put there because the writers wanted a means of highlighting Dibala's influence on his country). However, it also seems that Chase was distressed when he met that person and this influenced him to kill Dibala (and he wouldn't have if Dibala's atrocities were just depersonalized statistics), so in a way, Chase's feelings is what led him to kill Dibala. Alternatively, one can say Chase's morality transcends conventional medical ethics and legal and religious codes (as opposed to acting on personal feelings).

You are quite perceptive to note that I implicitly decouple subjective feelings and morality. I indeed take a modern approach to moral philosophy, being heavily influenced by Hume and Singer, as the latter often detaches himself from personal feelings, biases, and attachments as they can obscure one's objective assessment of ethical decisions (which are the consequences of one's actions and how they affect other persons' interests). For Hume, one's sentiments and emotions are the primary foundation of morality, since they are the main arbiter of whether a given action would lead to approbation or disapproval. One's intellect only can lead one to uncover experiences, circumstances, and events that evoke the sentiments of disgust, praise, or indifference not discover impalpable moral truths. In case of Singer's preference utilitarianism, one's intellect and knowledge would lead to a more accurate prediction of the consequences of certain actions and judgment of the preferences of those potentially affected by a given action. Such intellect is indispensable because utilitarianism is consequentialist, and one would need a means to predict the consequences of a given course of action. Hume contends that there is nothing inherent in the relationship of ideas about experiences and a moral property that prescribes what ought to be. This not only moral thesis, but also an epistemological one too. We may experience something painful and deem it wrong to inflict similar pain to others because of a strong inherent sense of reciprocity as normally we are quite averse to inflicting pain to others because we do not want others to do likewise to us.

One's feelings can certainly be influenced by one's previous experiences, whether they are raised in a "materialistic", "consumerist" society or in a more insular, conservative environment, or it can be the product of an adaptive "moral" module influenced by Darwinian evolution to prevent free-riders from consuming the resources of the group and members from defecting to other tribes or something absolute transcendent such as God indelibly writing His law in our hearts. (Some apologists argue that only by acknowledging the later, one can have a strong edifice to base morality on beyond narrow self-interest.) But Chase's actions were certainly influenced by something outside of the culture of medicine

===

About autism: given that I am one, I would say that they generally want to be regarded as capable people who can make a significant contribute to society and do not want to be dismissed. However, we also do not want others to downplay the non-trival issues we may deal with, particularly if they may handicap us in making a living. This is the line of political correctness or general propriety one must adhere to when talking about autism (or any other mental disorder), and I did not violate that when talking positively about Masters. Masters' character highlights the quirks of autism endearingly (and that is why I like her) even while ignoring most of the challenges. Yes, autism is not about nerdiness and intellectual interests, but this only manifests in a subset of autistics

===
Edit: 420th post...

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I keep seeing this pattern that you share some things in common with Masters, you are autistic, therefore it makes you feel better to think that she is autistic. In your own words she shares none of the "downsides" of autism, which reeks of confirmation bias. It begs the question, must someone be autistic for you to relate to them? I am autistic and I choose to relate to plenty of people who aren't.

The subject of the character's possible autism cannot be dismissed if the actress believed it so and tried to bring that into the performance, but as I said I'm dubious of Tamblyn's portrayal of autism. We don't know what the writers intentions were but if it was to create a perpetually closeted autistic (ala Big Bang Theory) then I choose not to respect them.

Honestly I just liked Masters because she is basically Rebecca Chambers and what else is there to like in the later seasons anyway. With her and Cuddy gone the final season was just torture.

Myzozoa

whether or not masters can be interpreted as autistic/aspergers, etc has no relationship with the intentions of the authors who wrote the character, or the actor who played her. the author is dead, if the interpretation is supported through the text then it doesn't matter whether or not the writers or actors thought she was autistic. Also plenty of aspergers and autistic people pass for normal in professional work places like hospitals, and many other contexts as well, so it would not be odd if Master's neuro-type was never explicitly articulated in the show.

modern ethics amounts to a sort of prison, or perhaps a labyrinth of arbitrary definitions, dubious axioms, and propositions filled entirely with undefined predicates. All of these webs are propped up and seem to be not illusions, but merely well intentioned efforts to understand what is good, as they are supported by the foundational supposition of modern philosophy, which is (linguistic) essentialism. It so far removed from the actual experiences of real moral agents in the world that it is unrecognizable for the purposes of actually organizing a real ethical project, which is why people have turned to post-structuralist theories of morality in order to explain people's behavior. Morality is not a book or a set of propositions, but rather it consists in actions and so when anyone discusses morality they should be less concerned with splitting threads about definitions and more concerned with what agents actually experience as they articulate morality through actions.

Last edited:
Park and Adams had their moments, and I like the Arceus reference.

Also, her character does experience the downsides, she it is implied she is fairly socially isolated, but she does not suffer from pathological depression. She is objectively successful since she was able to get an internship working for House because Cuddy saw her as a shining star. This ostensible career success -- working at a top hospital at a prestigious department --- eclipses any downsides of autism. Inferring any general trends about autism using Tamblyn's portrayal of Masters is certainly misguided.

It is hard for me to relate to people in real life since I usually do not initiate conversions especially if people are talking about mundane events. I could relate to few people who are not autistic. I actually prefer Charlie Rose-style dialogue where I could delve on an issue or theme not immediately related to one's personal life, instead of the give-or-take of normal conversion. For fictional characters I could related to, I relate to Misty the most (I watched the English anime more in college than as an adolescent), then Ash, and Paul. Also Dr. Soong (the grandfather of Noonien Soong, the creator of Data, and Soong is also played by Brent Spiner) who appeared on Star Trek: Enterprise (my sense of ethics reflects Soong's more than Masters, and Soong is a criminal), and Aki Izayoi and Aporia (from the Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's). I admire (the Japanese) Yusei too, for his strong belief in his bonds (kizuna) with his friends and his unwavering hope (kibou) but I could not relate him. My thinking is also similar to Amy Farah Fowler since I think many human tendencies reflect our heritage as social primates in Africa, but for some reason I could not relate to Sheldon (even though he is a closeted autistic) at all. He is just a different sort of ass than House, and I do not like him except for his allusions to physics. None of those characters are autistic.
===
Edit:

I think Masters' relative social isolation allows her to form an ethical code that is independent of normal social constraints (such as social status, respect of authority, understanding of social dynamics) and traditional norms, although her code is not absolutist and quite flexible. House is just more aware of social norms, but he defies them when it goes against his interests and does not hesitate to point how how maladaptive they can be in certain instances and their inherent contradictions and hypocrisy or delusion who adhere to them.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
whether or not masters can be interpreted as autistic/aspergers, etc has no relationship with the intentions of the authors who wrote the character, or the actor who played her. the author is dead, if the interpretation is supported through the text then it doesn't matter whether or not the writers or actors thought she was autistic. Also plenty of aspergers and autistic people pass for normal in professional work places like hospitals, and many other contexts as well, so it would not be odd if Master's neuro-type was never explicitly articulated in the show.
You seem to be confusing the death of the author as a hard and fast rule. The concept isn't even fifty years old. It is an interpretation, but not the only one. Now in general I agree with it, and I say that as an artist myself. For instance, I reject the actor's assertion. There's clear evidence that I feel that the artist in this case is disconnected from her work. However it is not a black and white principle so there is no need to dismiss it so candidly.

I could talk at length about the subject of "secret" autists in fiction and I would probably at somepoint be something of a hypocrit about it, but what this simply comes down is that I don't see Masters as having autism. Until we get more openly autistic characters in fiction, I'd rather look for allegorical parallels (like Odo from Deep Space Nine, now there'd be a long discussion).

And Latias you don't relate to Sheldon because he's a horrible stereotype (and I don't mean that nerd blackface tripe, I mean he's a stereotype of an actual disenfranchised minority).

I do like that we have something of an art academic thread in the great library now, the OP is a bit disarming though (between a female character poll and the paragraph about pokemon). I should probably actually give my feelings at large about the show but it's late here so I'll think about it later.

Myzozoa

I don't think it's a hard and fast rule, but i think we're agreeing that any reading supported by the text should be granted, especially if leads to an interesting interpretation.

Cameron was fine for the most part. We didn't spend enough time with the last 2. Cutthroat bitch was cutthroat bitch. Amber was naive. I ended up liking 13 the best and I found it very touching that House would kill her. She was a lot like the female counterpart to Wilson in his life and the episode where everyone was on lockdown and Wilson and 13 got to interact was definitely a fun bit.

Cuddy.. ugh.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Absolutely love the show. And I'm surprised that I never heard of it before syndication brought it here. Any way, I'm in season 7 right now, a few episodes after Masters joined House's team. I feel that she's a "new Cameron" of sorts with her principles and ideals even though she's much more passionate about them and less likely to be swayed by House's arguments, no matter how reasonable. And that's what makes me hate her; that inability to lie to patients or withold information from them even if it'll save their lives. She assumes that every one is capable of doing the right thing if they have complete knowledge of the choice of treatment and it's risks which makes her a rather poor judge of character. Not to say that House is great in that respect, he leans towards the other extreme of the spectrum; he has an incredibly poor opinion of people and is quite negative in his assumptions about patients' behavioral tendencies. But that does make him a marginally better judge of character. Being an athiest myself, I take great pleasure in watching him make believers feel like fools, by any means necessary. I guess I can relate to him because like his father, who was a minister, my mother is an extremely passionate Catholic. My favourite female character on the show would have to be Cuddy. She's smart, pretty and independent. She's capable of being objective, more so than any other female character I've seen so far. She brings the best out of House although his judgement is sometimes clouded by their relationship. Does any one here watch Castle? It's quite similar to House in terms of it's general structure i.e. every episode focuses on a different case and the only thing that moves forward is Castle and Beckett's relationship and that of those around them.

Last edited:

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
^Masters is an interesting development in House which never saw any fruition, I won't be able to elaborate without spoiling it for you but lemme know when you're done with that season. In fact so was Kal Penn's character, which they just fucking cut short in the most bullshit manner, because he got a job at the white house. Without all of these issues House would have ended up a very different show.

To any future house fans I'd just suggest you don't watch the final season. It completely shits on all the previous ones. It's just Laurie alone pulling a massive load, and none of the other characters actually manage to fill the massive void left. The whole 'life has changed after (spoilers)" is rather hackneyed and the scriptwriters were clearly straining and struggling. And without all the intriguing diversions that had developed across the seasons and equally intriguing characters to guide them, the formulaic aspect of the show just became too painfully obvious.

Instead of House's moral redemption, the tangent the show built up for all of those seasons it was forced to diverge into an unsatisfactory cliched ending.

Ive watched all seasons. Cameron definetly the best.She fell in love wiht House even with his defects and i belive she dint stay with him or just lost interest in him becaue we all knew House was destined to be alone forever, its not like she wasnt perfect for House . Its just that House is House.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Does any one here watch Castle? It's quite similar to House in terms of it's general structure i.e. every episode focuses on a different case and the only thing that moves forward is Castle and Beckett's relationship and that of those around them.
House is a medical drama structured like a police procedural. Which is pretty unique, but also makes it comparable to the thousands of police procedurals that actually involve crime. Castle is just one of many.

Not House related in the slightest but the only police procedural that ever needs to be watched is The Wire. It is impossible to watch another after.

HBK

House is a medical drama structured like a police procedural. Which is pretty unique, but also makes it comparable to the thousands of police procedurals that actually involve crime. Castle is just one of many.

Not House related in the slightest but the only police procedural that ever needs to be watched is The Wire. It is impossible to watch another after.
Well, Castle's the only one that I watch and it's pretty damn good. I have all the seasons of The Wire on my comp and I have yet to watch it but it's on my 'to watch' list.

Myzozoa

The Wire is the fucking shit man, like I feel like watching the wire kind of is where i learned to think about interpretation and representation in art. You should check out Treme, if you haven't already.

also on the previous death of the author discussion:

I think that if you are going to do a meaningful interpretation based on author intention, that is a profoundly biographical task: it is insufficient to restrict what counts as evidence of intent to author interviews or statements (why trust them, they could lie? does the author know what interpretation of their work is most meaningful to my political interests?) The death of the author is more than just a methodological description, it is the end of the ascription of authority to interpretation based in an appeal to subject position. Thus, it would also be necessary to look at the way the author was situated in the world and gain a picture of their social formation and lived experiences. Such a task aims to gather details of the author's life, which is why I call it biographical.

For many authors, this task cannot be done in a satisfying way. Possibly to such an extent, in a case where very few details of their life are available or a multiplicity of subjects in the position of the author (multiple actors, writers, etc), that we are forced to infer some of the details of their knowledge situation by taking their work as evidence, but this has not always been very convincing.

so, thats what i think about the death of the author, which in general should explain why i don't think many interpretations are going to be true to author intent, even if they claim they are.

i feel that House is really concerned with the distinctions between physical illness, mental illness, common unhappiness/neurosis/anxiety, and 'genius'. As such it is concerned with the concept of mental illness which means I will especially consider interpretations that ask questions about the mental status of characters as there is a lot of rich interpretation available there.

spoilers

How I feel about understanding Cuddy and Wilson: I have a really hard time figuring these characters out. I think they have to be taken together to understand. These are House's friends first, with Cuddy a one-time lover at the start (i think they had sex or something years ago which is revealed early in the show?? Either way, sexuality is always a question and infused in their interactions). Anyway, for a while Cuddy functions as House's boss, but it's obvious they are more than coworkers, they have mutual friend-like feelings of concern for one another. The tension of a supposed friend/lover/boss distinction is a main theme until Cuddy leaves.

Wilson is House's closest friend, and it is clear by the end of the show that House's relationship with Wilson is profoundly deeper than his relationship with Cuddy. He FINALLY changes (in the last episode) as a result of his ethical obligations as a friend to dying Wilson, in a way his obligations as lover/partner with Cuddy couldn't. This is a case of Kantian duty (ethical feeling) finding a higher place for House than romantic love. This could be a critique of Kantian duty, as we never find out if House can become happy or if he can cope with Wilson's death, perhaps House is like Maria Von Herbert https://lms.manhattan.edu/pluginfile.php/41280/mod_resource/content/1/Langton von Herbert and Kant.pdf, or http://web.mit.edu/langton/www/pubs/DutyandDesolation.pdf she can live up to duty, but it can never make her happy and through her own mistake she has lost the possibility of love. This is heterosexual centrist interpretation, but I think it would be interesting to wonder about what house says about the differences between male-male relationships and male-female relationships, especially in a medical situation in which these are very fixed and naturalized, in which characters live up to gender expectations continuously and perform the naturalness of gender. It is because these are so naturalized in the show that these questions can be asked, if the lines were blurrier on gender assignment there would be other questions to ask.

i could go on and on.

Last edited:

Myzozoa

i mean im not justifying bros before hos im saying there are different ways of feeling involved in actions whose intentionality ('aboutness') is friends vs lovers. it's more like 'in understanding bros before hos through house, there is a critique of kantian morality'.

HBK

^Masters is an interesting development in House which never saw any fruition, I won't be able to elaborate without spoiling it for you but lemme know when you're done with that season. In fact so was Kal Penn's character, which they just fucking cut short in the most bullshit manner, because he got a job at the white house. Without all of these issues House would have ended up a very different show.

To any future house fans I'd just suggest you don't watch the final season. It completely shits on all the previous ones. It's just Laurie alone pulling a massive load, and none of the other characters actually manage to fill the massive void left. The whole 'life has changed after (spoilers)" is rather hackneyed and the scriptwriters were clearly straining and struggling. And without all the intriguing diversions that had developed across the seasons and equally intriguing characters to guide them, the formulaic aspect of the show just became too painfully obvious.

Instead of House's moral redemption, the tangent the show built up for all of those seasons it was forced to diverge into an unsatisfactory cliched ending.
Just watched the series finale. It's not the worst ending ever but I did find it strange that Cuddy didn't show up at the funeral even if they didn't exactly part on good terms (about that, it was fucking annoying to see Cuddy disappear from the show without any kind of confrontation or goodbye, as if she never even existed). I can say without a doubt that House is my most favorite character, from all the characters I've watched on tons of shows. I guess it's because I could relate to him on some level, however disturbing that may seem. And because most of his philosphical beliefs were a lot more than the ramblings of a depressed, miserable narcissist. Couldn't help but feel emotional, felt like I was bidding farewell to a close friend.

Last edited:
IIRC, the actress was busy on another show at this point.

I'd say I preferred his first wife being there in her place though. Cuddy turned to shit towards the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)