Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but is there a speed tiers thread out for ORAS OU? If not, who would I talk to in order to get that up and running?

say im playing cart (lvl 50)
and i have a clefable with leftovers.
should i make evs max hp/def or aim for an hp divisible by 16?
202 vs 192. would it be worth it to sacrifice a lot of hp for more leftovers recovery?

or should i maybe do it only for pokemon who dont lose too much hp when dividing be 16?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
say im playing cart (lvl 50)
and i have a clefable with leftovers.
should i make evs max hp/def or aim for an hp divisible by 16?
202 vs 192. would it be worth it to sacrifice a lot of hp for more leftovers recovery?

or should i maybe do it only for pokemon who dont lose too much hp when dividing be 16?
Just stick with Max HP max def.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is it possible to get a Scarfer, Rocks setter, Gengar Check/Counter, and Rotom-W Check/Counter in two teamslots?

Edit: I just remembered Sceptile-Mega, but I already intend to use Megagross along with Dugtrio,Talonflame, and Latios, so any Mega isn't really an option or else I basically have to make a whole new team.
Scarf Latios counters Rotom-W+SpD Hippowdon or Gliscor can set up SR and deal with Gengar

So, I'm looking to build a team around a favorite of mine, Mienshao. What kind of support/offensive cores does the Scarf set fit into well? My best inclination right now is obviously for a Voltturn core, and dealing fast damage/revenge killing. So what I'm thinking of are Pokemon that can hit walls hard for it to clean (Regenerator), or appreciate it wearing out fast threats to clean/sweep themselves (Reckless).

I am having problems with the teiring system being inconsistent when it comes to banning or allowing things. I totally get why gengar is allowed in OU play but his mega is not. In the same vein, shouldn't we allow manectric in RU and make mega-manectic OU? I dont see why gengar should get special treatment but we dont allow gardevoir or manectric in the other tiers when not holding mega stone, or am I mistaken? Smogon says that manectric, pinser, gardevoir, and medicham are by themselves OU, and they really dont deserve it without holding their mega stones. Yet we can still use gengar in OU even though his mega is in ubers. Can someone please explain this?

I am having problems with the teiring system being inconsistent when it comes to banning or allowing things. I totally get why gengar is allowed in OU play but his mega is not. In the same vein, shouldn't we allow manectric in RU and make mega-manectic OU? I dont see why gengar should get special treatment but we dont allow gardevoir or manectric in the other tiers when not holding mega stone, or am I mistaken? Smogon says that manectric, pinser, gardevoir, and medicham are by themselves OU, and they really dont deserve it without holding their mega stones. Yet we can still use gengar in OU even though his mega is in ubers. Can someone please explain this?
The tiers are based on usage. Even if they're always holding the stones, they see enough usage to be considered OU by usage alone. The stones are technically just sets they can run, so ranking them separately on usage (bans are a different story) would be like ranking AV Conkeldurr in OU and Choice Band in UU.

pika pal pretty much summed it up, but if you need more convincing there was a long discussion about it starting around here

So, I'm looking to build a team around a favorite of mine, Mienshao. What kind of support/offensive cores does the Scarf set fit into well? My best inclination right now is obviously for a Voltturn core, and dealing fast damage/revenge killing. So what I'm thinking of are Pokemon that can hit walls hard for it to clean (Regenerator), or appreciate it wearing out fast threats to clean/sweep themselves (Reckless).
A steel type would do you well methinks. Magnezone would work well in getting rid of things that can wall shao like skarmory, azumarill, clefable, etc. and will complete the volt-turn combo with mienshao. Finish the core up with something like azumarill which can sponge up some big hits on the frail mag and shao and can help deal with whatever magnezone and mienshao cant, like AV conkeldurr, latias/latios and all that jazz. Hope I helped a bit.

If a pokemon uses Foul Play on a pokemon with Huge Power, does foul play use the target's attack stat before or after their huge power is applied?
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Foul_Play_(move)
"The target's Attack stat modifier is incorporated into damage calculation"
Then:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stat_modifiers#Stat_modifiers
"When a stat is used in a calculation in battle, a number of modifiers may be applied during the calculation. During a battle, a Pokémon's effective stats may be raised or lowered by certain moves, Abilities, and held items."

And:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Huge_Power_(Ability)
"Huge Power doubles the user's Attack stat."

So the answer is: the target's ability (huge power) is taken into account.

Target's though Claws for example is not taken into account since:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tough_Claws_(Ability)
"Tough Claws boosts the power of contact moves by 33%."
I boosts the moves and not the attack stat.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Foul_Play_(move)
"The target's Attack stat modifier is incorporated into damage calculation"
Then:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stat_modifiers#Stat_modifiers
"When a stat is used in a calculation in battle, a number of modifiers may be applied during the calculation. During a battle, a Pokémon's effective stats may be raised or lowered by certain moves, Abilities, and held items."

So the answer is: the target's ability (huge power) is taken into account.
I was asking because foul play doesn't use the conventional formula.

For example if mega mawile uses foul play, it uses the target's attack stat but then it gets doubled due to mawile's huge power. I want to know if it works the other way around, since this makes me think that it takes the user's ability into account, not the target's.

Foul play = target's attack stat + target's boosts + user's typing (STAB boost or not) + user's status (i.e. burn) + user's item + user's ability?

The last part is what I'm unsure about.

I was asking because foul play doesn't use the conventional formula.

For example if mega mawile uses foul play, it uses the target's attack stat but then it gets doubled due to mawile's huge power. I want to know if it works the other way around, since this makes me think that it takes the user's ability into account, not the target's.

Foul play = target's attack stat + target's boosts + user's typing (STAB boost or not) + user's status (i.e. burn) + user's item + user's ability?

The last part is what I'm unsure about.
Just read the Bulbapedia article.
"If the user has the AbilityHuge Power or Pure Power, Foul Play will be calculated with double the target's attack stat."

Yes, it is taken into account.

More generally, user item, status and ability are taken into account:
"With the exception of the Attack stat and Attack stat modifier, all other factors affecting damage calculation, including the item, Ability, type, and status ailment of the user of Foul Play, are incorporated as normal."
For example, if the user has tough claws, it will increase foul play's damage since it is a contact move.

Your calculation is right.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Just read the Bulbapedia article.
"If the user has the AbilityHuge Power or Pure Power, Foul Play will be calculated with double the target's attack stat."

Yes, it is taken into account.

More generally, user item, status and ability are taken into account:
"With the exception of the Attack stat and Attack stat modifier, all other factors affecting damage calculation, including the item, Ability, type, and status ailment of the user of Foul Play, are incorporated as normal."
For example, if the user has tough claws, it will increase foul play's damage since it is a contact move.

Your calculation is right.
So back to my original question, if foul play is used on a pokemon with huge power, it will use the target's attack stat before the huge power boost, correct?

So back to my original question, if foul play is used on a pokemon with huge power, it will use the target's attack stat before the huge power boost, correct?
I already replied to your question.
It will use the attack stat after the boost from huge power. Huge power is an attack modifier.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I already replied to your question.
It will use the attack stat after the boost from huge power. Huge power is an attack modifier.
It's an ability though, and calculated in a separate stage than, say, the boost from a swords dance is. I seriously doubt that foul play would use both the user's and the target's abilities.

It's an ability though, and calculated in a separate stage than, say, the boost from a swords dance is. I seriously doubt that foul play would use both the user's and the target's abilities.
You ask for information, I give it with reliable source to you then you doubt it. Why ask then?
The game sees it in a different way than worded by you -your wording is incorrect since it needs to be more specific. It simply uses the target's effective attack stat.
Try different scenarii in here and you'll see.
pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

Last edited:
If a pokemon uses Foul Play on a pokemon with Huge Power, does foul play use the target's attack stat before or after their huge power is applied?
If a Pokemon which does not have Huge Power uses Foul Play on a pokemon which has the Huge Power ability, Foul Play does not take the Huge Power boost into account. Assuming all other variables (evs/nature/etc) are the same, Mandibuzz will do the same amount of damage with Foul Play to a Huge Power Azumarill and a Sap Sipper Azumarill.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
You ask for information, I give it with reliable source to you then you doubt it. Why ask then?
The game sees it in a different way than worded by you -your wording is incorrect since it needs to be more specific. It simply uses the target's effective attack stat.
Because bulbapedia is not a reliable source and the text that was on those pages only applies for general use scenarios. I wanted to know about a specific niche situation that would not come up often.

If a Pokemon which does not have Huge Power uses Foul Play on a pokemon which has the Huge Power ability, Foul Play does not take the Huge Power boost into account. Assuming all other variables (evs/nature/etc) are the same, Mandibuzz will do the same amount of damage with Foul Play to a Huge Power Azumarill and a Sap Sipper Azumarill.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)