Other ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread - Check post #2359

Status
Not open for further replies.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
You mean "stop" because M-Sableye is so slow that it gives the impression that it stopped?!!?
Speed isn't the only thing that makes pokemon viable and as long as you don't understand this you probably should stop posting in this thread because currently 95% of your posts is complete bullcrap. M-Sableye is an awesome, if not the best, win-condition for stall teams and just saying lol it suckz its so slow omg doesn't really help the discussion

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Lol

Mega sableye's calm mind wisp +2 STAB attacks set can wall most common pokemon in the meta and sweep after a few boosts against a weakened enough team.
That set is fucking terrible. Ghost and Dark have redundant coverage and Sableye loses out on Recover, which is mandatory in all sets so it can actually stay alive.

DaVolterbomb

Banned deucer.
Good lord, stop double posting and making useless arguments for the thread. PLEASE lurk more before you post, I'm getting seriously tired of it. You aren't giving the thread any movement forward and you're just clustering up everything. Just stop.
How about you stop feeding the troll.
(Not being mean if theres misconseptions)

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Good lord, stop double posting and making useless arguments for the thread. PLEASE lurk more before you post, I'm getting seriously tired of it. You aren't giving the thread any movement forward and you're just clustering up everything. Just stop.
If you ignore "it", maybe it'll go away.

Edit: Greninja'd

Speed isn't the only thing that makes pokemon viable and as long as you don't understand this you probably should stop posting in this thread because currently 95% of your posts is complete bullcrap. M-Sableye is an awesome, if not the best, win-condition for stall teams and just saying lol it suckz its so slow omg doesn't really help the discussion
Yeh I agree my broh.

HAVE NO FEAR, KARXRIDA IS HERE!

Let's talk about Mega Medicham and how much it sucks! Or how good Mega Sceptile is! OR SOMETHING ELSE.
Alright, good idea.

Mega Medicham
has lived its short life of glory. Literally its only advantages are a safe Mega Evo because of Fake Out and having more power, but it has a riskier STAB, is much frailer and can't boost because of its frailty. It's horribly outclassed by Mega Gallade, who has Swords Dance, 110 Speed, much better defenses, a safer STAB in Close Combat and Knock Off for coverage. Drop Mega Medicham to B or B-.

While I'm on the subject, Mega Gallade can probably move to S by this point. With Mega Salamence gone, Mega Gallade now has many more opportunities to set up a Swords Dance and sweep teams at its leisure thanks to its great (though crowded) Speed tier, amazing power thanks to 165 Attack and Swords Dance that's excellently complemented by strong STABs in Close Combat and Zen Headbutt and last but not least, Knock Off for coverage. Sure, it's still somewhat frail, but not on the level of something like Mega Medicham. It's also still really vulnerable to Mega Sableye and most Stall teams, but overall I definitely feel like Mega Gallade has become a lot better in the current meta, so I'd say Mega Gallade can move to S. I don't mind if it stays A+, but it'd make more sense than initially for it to be S.

Mega Sceptile definitely deserves to rise, too. It has a lot of flexibility as an attacker thanks to its 110/145/145 offenses, so you can use it as a mixed or special attacker and easily tweak both variants to your liking to tackle different threats. That 145 Speed is wonderful, since Mega Sceptile outpaces positive 135s and neutral 150s with max investment on purely special sets. Being able to shit all over Rotom-W is nothing short of great, especially since Rotom-W is a glue to many cores. Lightning Rod means it can stop both VoltTurn teams and T-Wave spam alike, which is just plain great. I feel Mega Sceptile has what it takes to be A.

More to come later.

Can we start to discuss how great a mon mega sceptile is? It is a great mon that doesn't get enough love.
alexwolf stated in an earlier post that we're only discussing S and A+ ranks right now. Admittedly, the title of the thread is confusing in this sense but for now we have to restrict ourselves to the top two ranks. With Megamence gone tho I honestly don't see too much changing, but some things should defo move down and there's enough room of debate for discussion on both Zards.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, good idea.

Mega Medicham
has lived its short life of glory. Literally its only advantages are a safe Mega Evo because of Fake Out and having more power, but it has a riskier STAB, is much frailer and can't boost because of its frailty. It's horribly outclassed by Mega Gallade, who has Swords Dance, 110 Speed, much better defenses, a safer STAB in Close Combat and Knock Off for coverage. Drop Mega Medicham to B or B-.

While I'm on the subject, Mega Gallade can probably move to S by this point. With Mega Salamence gone, Mega Gallade now has many more opportunities to set up a Swords Dance and sweep teams at its leisure thanks to its great (though crowded) Speed tier, amazing power thanks to 165 Attack and Swords Dance that's excellently complemented by strong STABs in Close Combat and Zen Headbutt and last but not least, Knock Off for coverage. Sure, it's still somewhat frail, but not on the level of something like Mega Medicham. It's also still really vulnerable to Mega Sableye and most Stall teams, but overall I definitely feel like Mega Gallade has become a lot better in the current meta, so I'd say Mega Gallade can move to S. I don't mind if it stays A+, but it'd make more sense than initially for it to be S.

Mega Sceptile definitely deserves to rise, too. It has a lot of flexibility as an attacker thanks to its 110/145/145 offenses, so you can use it as a mixed or special attacker and easily tweak both variants to your liking to tackle different threats. That 145 Speed is wonderful, since Mega Sceptile outpaces positive 135s and neutral 150s with max investment on purely special sets. Being able to shit all over Rotom-W is nothing short of great, especially since Rotom-W is a glue to many cores. Lightning Rod means it can stop both VoltTurn teams and T-Wave spam alike, which is just plain great. I feel Mega Sceptile has what it takes to be A.

More to come later.
I agree with everything you've said, but you forgot to mention that Mega-Scep is an excellent Greninja check after mega evo.

I heard Sceptile was a decent mon but is easily the worst of the 3 megas for the Hoenn starters.

All i know is that its speed and attack stats are amazing but it suffers from a shit typing and horrible defenses. It cant reliably setup that well and it has a little too much of a problem with Scarfers. Other than that, hes ok.
Hes fine where he is right now.

edit: oh no dont bash on me i know my post was kinda one sided.
He is somewhat susceptible to priority, but past that his amazing speed and special attack allows him to decimate HO teams with the proper teammates.

Last edited:
I just want to mention something about Sceptile. I think it's fantastic and deserves a much higher ranking, but it's weak to two major forms of priority, Ice and Flying, which really hinders it. On the turn it Mega Evolves, it is also outsped by Mega Manectric and OHKOed by HP Ice. Pretty much any Ice type attack will take it down, which is it's biggest hinderance to be honest.
Other than that, it's a fantastic late game cleaner once things like Talonflame are gone. It has a great offensive typing and it has pretty good coverage, so it easily deserves A.

EDIT: Ninja'd

SketchUp

Tbh I find M-Sceptile pretty underwhelming and I think A- is fine for it. It's pretty frail and add the many weaknesses he doesn't live very long. It does a great job at stopping Volt Switches from Rotom-W which is just a stupidly annoying thing at the moment and he is a great revenge killer as 145 SpA is a lot. But because many people are prepared for the fast mons like Greninja and M-Beedrill, and this also affects M-Sceptile.

dbzeenx just because you didn't get attention for 10 minutes doesn't mean you have to make this topic shitty again

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
mega sceptile is a great counter* not a check. theres no way he's living greninja's ice beams or gunk shots
Do you even know what a check and counter are? A check can't take many attacks from the Pokemon, but can beat it 1v1. A counter can beat the opposing Pokemon in almost every possible scenerio, so Mega-Scep is a check not a counter.

Tbh I find M-Sceptile pretty underwhelming and I think A- is fine for it. It's pretty frail and add the many weaknesses he doesn't live very long. It does a great job at stopping Volt Switches from Rotom-W which is just a stupidly annoying thing at the moment and he is a great revenge killer as 145 SpA is a lot. But because many people are prepared for the fast mons like Greninja and M-Beedrill, and this also affects M-Sceptile.
If you want to use mega sceptile, then you want to send it in against Pokemon it can switch into, and proceed to do damage, and then you switch it out when it gets matched up with something unfavorable. Simply rinse and repeat, you don't need to have Mega sceptile take attacks to use him. Also, I recommend having a calc handy when using Mega sceptile for this very reason.

Last edited:
mega sceptile is a great counter* not a check. theres no way he's living greninja's ice beams or gunk shots
Do you even know what a check and counter are? A check can't take many attacks from the Pokemon, but can beat it 1v1. A counter can beat the opposing Pokemon in almost every possible scenerio.
my bad. must have gotten mixed up.

In any case, I think mega sceptile is a bit like weavile in the sense that it hits hard and fast and can decimate a lot of teams, but is really frail and predictable. you generally are gonna run leaf storm, giga drain, dragon pulse, and then a coverage move of either hp fire or eq. a mixed set is nothing to write home about as investing in both special and physical attack will make sceptile lose out on the power it relies on to sweep

We are only talking about A+ and S ranks now guys (although discussing A-rank could get more productive discussion going).

In response to your question Kurona, Mega Scizor is still really good in this meta. It can fit on many different kinds of teams, requires little support, isn't weak to Rocks, only has one weakness, and has really strong priority. It may not be a top choice for any playstyle, but it has bulky SD sets, underrated Defogger sets, offensive SD sets and Roost+U-Turn sets. It's got a lot of different options, and it's also a decent catch all check to 90% of the meta out there. It can even stallbreak if it uses Knock Off over Bug Bite of the offensive SD set. It's very hard to find a team it can't fit on in some way. Some semi-stall teams can even use it's Defogging set to be less passive than full stall. I think it's very worthy of it's A+ rank, mostly becuase of it's uniqueness, versatility and how easy it is to fit onto teams.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
my bad. must have gotten mixed up.

In any case, I think mega sceptile is a bit like weavile in the sense that it hits hard and fast and can decimate a lot of teams, but is really frail and predictable. you generally are gonna run leaf storm, giga drain, dragon pulse, and then a coverage move of either hp fire or eq. a mixed set is nothing to write home about as investing in both special and physical attack will make sceptile lose out on the power it relies on to sweep
The set that I tend to run is giga drain, dragon pulse, focus ~~miss~~ blast, and HP fire, this set lets Sceptile do tons of damage to opposing teams with its amazing coverafe.

We are only talking about A+ and S ranks now guys (although discussing A-rank could get more productive discussion going).
I'm discussing mega Scep because I think it deserves A - A+ rank on the thread.

The best mixed move would be Earthquake imo, which would be run for the sole purpose of not being walled by heatran. Shouldn't even need investment for that. Even so, focusblast might be better in the long run.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
The best mixed move would be Earthquake imo, which would be run for the sole purpose of not being walled by heatran. Shouldn't even need investment for that. Even so, focusblast might be better in the long run.
Focus Blast 2HKOs Heatran anyways, so Earthquake isn't really needed.

Proof: 252 SpA Sceptile Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Heatran: 202-238 (52.4 - 61.8%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

SketchUp

After rocks it only has 25% of OHKOíng 248/0 Heatran. Earthquake also helps killing steel typing without relying on Focus Blast misses.

After rocks it only has 25% of OHKOíng 248/0 Heatran. Earthquake also helps killing steel typing without relying on Focus Blast misses.
EQ is definitely a safer choice for Heatran as you really don't wanna miss a focus blast on a heatran. on the other hand, using eq means you lose out on coverage with hp fire.

In response to your question Kurona, Mega Scizor is still really good in this meta. It can fit on many different kinds of teams, requires little support, isn't weak to Rocks, only has one weakness, and has really strong priority. It may not be a top choice for any playstyle, but it has bulky SD sets, underrated Defogger sets, offensive SD sets and Roost+U-Turn sets. It's got a lot of different options, and it's also a decent catch all check to 90% of the meta out there. It can even stallbreak if it uses Knock Off over Bug Bite of the offensive SD set. It's very hard to find a team it can't fit on in some way. Some semi-stall teams can even use it's Defogging set to be less passive than full stall. I think it's very worthy of it's A+ rank, mostly becuase of it's uniqueness, versatility and how easy it is to fit onto teams.
In that case... and this probably sounds controversial, but what's keeping it from S-rank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)