Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Is the Master Fortress or whatever the fuck not in the 3ds version because otherwise every Youtuber is fucking retarded and not actually doing it on 9.0

I wanted to watch someone actually 2 stock it and haven't found a single person who could yet

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Is the Master Fortress or whatever the fuck not in the 3ds version because otherwise every Youtuber is fucking retarded and not actually doing it on 9.0

I wanted to watch someone actually 2 stock it and haven't found a single person who could yet
It's not in the 3DS version, Mr. Angrypants.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi everyone, I just wanted to share how I'm doing. I played against my cousin for the first time in over a month this week during Thanksgiving...he is kinda like my rival, he used to absolutely destroy me all the time, to the point where I was actually scared of playing against him 'cause I always got owned and it bummed me out. Playing and talking with really good players like QuoteCS and Arikado I've gotten a lot better, but I never really had a good measure how much I had actually improved until then. The games were really tight, I won most of them but they were all really close (regardless of who won, each was a 1 stock victory) so I'd say we're about even now! Really nice.

Not sure if anyone quite cares about my personal journey but I figured I'd share anyway. It feels really good to know you're making progress :^)

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Finally took the time to play FG on the Wii U and the overall level of the players I faced was definitely higher. Still won 25 out of 29 matches, but a lot of them were pretty close. One thing I have noticed is that a lot of people tend to struggle to outright take out Shulk without a spike move due to Shield and Speed giving Shulk great survivability. I faced a really solid Mega Man player for about 5 matches and only lost once. The one time I did lose is when I telegraphed my recovery with Speed art and he just boned me with the spike move. Otherwise, I probably got to about 160-180% damage each match simply because he had a hard time edgeguarding me successfully due to Shulk's fall rate with Shield and Speed respectively (Shield is super slow. Speed has quick lateral movement) and the fact that Mega Man's best kill moves have horrible ending lag.

Also, Lucario is still great, but the added landing lag with ExtremeSpeed is very easily punishable if you aren't careful with it.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi everyone, I just wanted to share how I'm doing. I played against my cousin for the first time in over a month this week during Thanksgiving...he is kinda like my rival, he used to absolutely destroy me all the time, to the point where I was actually scared of playing against him 'cause I always got owned and it bummed me out. Playing and talking with really good players like QuoteCS and Arikado I've gotten a lot better, but I never really had a good measure how much I had actually improved until then. The games were really tight, I won most of them but they were all really close (regardless of who won, each was a 1 stock victory) so I'd say we're about even now! Really nice.

Not sure if anyone quite cares about my personal journey but I figured I'd share anyway. It feels really good to know you're making progress :^)
You definitely improved. You are harder to beat now compared to before. :]

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hanging from the ledge and abusing the bad AI is also for pussies. If you're gonna flawless that fight you might as well do it the right way.
But that is the right way??? If you just throw your hitboxes out and don't play safe you're going to get hit. You would need superhuman reaction times and the ability to powershield on command in order to do anything else.

We likely won't have access to TAS tools for another 3-4 years, so you'll be waiting a LONG time before you see anyone perfect Master Core with style.

Man, cheesing Crazy Orders with BattaMario (Customized, starts with a Home-Run Bat and can gain First Striker invincibility) is SO satisfying.

Pic of the day. Tomorrow, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will be released in Japan! The players in Japan had to wait a bit longer for their release, but then again, they did get the 3DS version first. We were glad to be able to release this game in the Americas just in time for Thanksgiving in the United States.

(Comment)

Pic of the day has continued since E3 2013, and I would like to bring this series to a close today.
A total of 384 posts and roughly 500 screenshots have been posted, and there's even more screenshots if you count the ones I've posted for different regions.

The origins of pic of the day was sharing one picture a day of the game in development inside the company. It started out just as a small bonus for the staff.

However, once we started sharing pictures with the public, it was a much tougher process. We had to be more careful to choose appropriate pictures to post while keeping a consistant schedule regardless of how busy we got, all while some people only wanted new information from my posts.

It's nice to finally be able to get one weight off of my shoulders. But, we promised to create Mewtwo as a playable character, so I can't relax too much yet. I hope you'll look forward to Mewtwo joining the battle!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

As a side note, I've been very very busy and I haven't been able to post Sakurai's POTD over here, but at least it was mostly information we already knew.

I don't have my Smash Wii U yet (sold out everywhere, fuck), but are you allowed to ask for matches in this thread? I'm new to the competitive scene trying to get better.

To minimize clutter I don't believe we customarily use this thread to ask for matches, but someone will announce they're organizing a tournament now and again and you'll find people chatting and playing in #ssb on SynIRC at most times of the day. I'd look for matches there more often myself if not for my seemingly untimely available hours.

Is he basically trying to say this is the end altogether? I get the feeling he wouldn't want anyone else working on Smash.
Smash sells consoles, and Nintendo are in the business of selling consoles. Even if Sakurai really is serious this time, I doubt Nintendo would give up the series just because Sakurai won't let anyone else touch his baby. They'll put someone else in charge and the show will go on. A fresh take on the series might even do it some good. Sakurai is brilliant but also kind of eccentric and makes some puzzling decisions sometimes, so a new director might be able to fix up some of Sakurai's mistakes while keeping his many successes intact.

I doubt Nintendo would give up the series just because Sakurai won't let anyone else touch his baby.
this is probably 90% of the reason why Sakurai came back to make Brawl and SSB4. it's going to get made anyway, and Sakurai really strikes me as the kind of guy who'd rather do everything himself than let someone else muck it up.

this is probably 90% of the reason why Sakurai came back to make Brawl and SSB4. it's going to get made anyway, and Sakurai really strikes me as the kind of guy who'd rather do everything himself than let someone else muck it up.
Yeah he does seem pretty controlling. But that's part of why I think putting someone else on the project could be a good thing.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
ya I'd rather not keep the guy on the project that thought tripping was a good game element at one point, especially if he doesn't want to

or nerfs characters unnecessarily while completely missing where others need to be nerfed (olimar), though i will give him metaknight

or changing how certain characters play that really don't need it (falcon)

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wait what dramatically changed about Falcon? The Captain seems pretty much the same to me if not better.

Or did you mean Falco?
Pretty sure he meant Falco. As a Falco player since Melee, he feels a bit different in every game.

Idk, Sakurai has never been one to cater to the competitive scene. Probably because the core idea of Smash Bros. in the first place was to be more of a "fun" fighting game to enjoy at a party or something. Even if none of the games in the series are perfect, let's be real here. It's next to impossible to get a fighting game perfect on a competitive level. At least with Smash 4, he's showing willingness to adjust the balance a bit as we go along. While I can hear everyone begging to have someone different head the next Smash game, is there really any developer out there that can put this amount of detail into a single game? I mean, the details in this game are absolutely amazing (all the way down to stuff like the bruises that show up on Mac's face after a fight) and obviously take quite a bit of work to do. Like it or not, Smash Bros. is the most popular franchise Nintendo has. It always sells good and always sells consoles. I mean, if Sakurai doesn't develop the Smash games from here on out, idk if Nintendo would trust anyone enough to do a good job with developing the games. Also, let's not forget that quite a few people are going to expect a handheld version of Smash on every handheld released from here on out because it was done on 3DS, and idk if anyone out there can handle that plus a console version. Remember that we tend to get handhelds a year or two before consoles.

lol if u think meta knight or olimar are playable in smash 4 competitively

On the topic of the next Smash game(s), I find trying to imagine what Nintendo could do with it equally as hard as imagining what the next consoles could bring, the obvious upgrades in processing power notwithstanding. Though I would love to find out if we'll see more than one DLC character/balance update in the future to come. Currently preparing for the thousand hours this game will take from me this summer regardless.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I will not be surprised if Sakurai does return, I will also not shed any tears if he leaves. He has left a template for how the series expands and there are logical areas where we can easily expand.

1. More characters: The most obvious but easily the most difficult because Smash is running out of main franchise reps. Mario really has Toad (or Captain Toad whatever) as the most noteworthy character not in the games currently. DK could pull Dixie or heck even K Rool (although I doubt it sorry Mantyke) Zelda has had 5 total for 3 games now (if you count Zelda/Sheik as always separate) and who else is there really besides perhaps Tetra/Toon Zelda and Impa? Pokemon always gets at least one more and is the easiest franchise to expand. Kirby is dead in the water, there are no continuing characters left that they could pull. Metroid franchises only hope is something crazy like Fusion Suit Samus (the trolling would be strong in this one), since Samus can clearly be the only rep. Fox can have Krystal and bring in Wolf again. Fire Emblem can expand to someone not swords since they are running out there, bringing back Roy in our dreams. But really after Shulk and Mii Sword we have a wealth of sword fighters and there isn't very much more.

I don't really see certain franchises getting new characters as well: Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, Pikmin, F-Zero (unless new game), Kid Icarus (if anything bye Dark Pit). There isn't much that their main rep doesn't do already. Plus since Melee we've had our requisite retro character, who else is there? The Famicon Disk thing, Takamaru???

So if every old character (not Pichu) came back: Roy, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Lucas, Ivysaur, and Squirtle what other new franchises could be added, and lets face it new franchises are always added.

Well we have: Splatoon, Custom Robo, Star Tropics, Nintendo/Advance Wars, Excitebike, Wave Race, Golden Sun, Daigasso Band Brothers, Drill Dozer, Sin and Punishment, Starfy, Dillon's Rolling Western

But really that is digging a bit deep, and while there is always some love for an old franchise or two there is pressure on the newer as well and it's a bit frightening when we don't see much else making it in the same way Animal Crossing and Pikmin were always contenders for Brawl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)