Pokémon Diancie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm around 1420 and I am using the same team, except I added Coballion into the fray, but that aside I'm not seeing much difference with XY OU and ORAS OU. I still find protect Diancie best since it makes the ever common Lando-T a liability, and wastes one turn of weather. I admit Greninja is a pain, but he was already a pain prior, and the best I can do is to catch him off guard with one of my scarvers or priority but I run an offensive team so... I don't think offensive teams in general have very good answers against him. That said I'm still not keen on Magnezone as a partner for MDiancie as they don't have a good synergy, and I still prefer Coballion for that reason. I know you want to trap Scizor or Ferro who can be a pain but I find a choice locked Magnezone is taken advantage of too easily, that and I do feel many are more wary of trappers.

Edit: Frankly, I have more issues with the rampant BP centric teams, with Scolo or Smeargle. I see that as being the key difference with the merger, as suddenly these teams have gained popularity again.
I kinda agree, but by forgoing Magnezone you don't have something that can trap Sciz and Ferro.

I kinda agree, but by forgoing Magnezone you don't have something that can trap Sciz and Ferro.
Except there better ways to deal with them than trapping for most part as lures do a much more effective job without telegraphing as much or being as deadweight after their job. In any event I've never found trying to trap Scizor to be all that effective, a lot are able to figure out your intent and use Superpower, or they flat out U-turn while Ferro sometimes now run shed shell. Regardless, people are more prepared for trapping.

Except there better ways to deal with them than trapping for most part as lures do a much more effective job without telegraphing as much or being as deadweight after their job. In any event I've never found trying to trap Scizor to be all that effective, a lot are able to figure out your intent and use Superpower, or they flat out U-turn while Ferro sometimes now run shed shell. Regardless, people are more prepared for trapping.
I tried out Cobalion, by the way, but I think Magnezone still works better. I dunno what to change at this point, but I do know that it is not working at all.

Well part of the problem is you're trying to use a set-up Diancie which I don't feel works very well but putting opinions aside you don't exactly have hazard support for a good late game clean up. Nor do I feel your team buys you the momentum you need to properly set up. The Cobalion you're using is better on a Volt-turn team you may want to consider Taunt over Volt-switch so you aren't easy set up bait. I think if you want to pull off a RP sweep you'd need to either spam Volt-turn or hazards as you'll need as much chip damage as possible, Talonflame is a set-up sweeper and Azu is more or less a revenge killer and Latios can pretty much kill on his own etc.
Yeah, you might have a point there, but Magnezone's utility with Azumarill + Lando's Knock Off removes the Shed Shell. I think I've been playing better with Mag, so I guess I'll just wait for more RMT comments rather than spam this thread. :P

I'm around 1420 and I am using the same team, except I added Coballion into the fray, but that aside I'm not seeing much difference with XY OU and ORAS OU. I still find protect Diancie best since it makes the ever common Lando-T a liability, and wastes one turn of weather. I admit Greninja is a pain, but he was already a pain prior, and the best I can do is to catch him off guard with one of my scarvers or priority but I run an offensive team so... I don't think offensive teams in general have very good answers against him. That said I'm still not keen on Magnezone as a partner for MDiancie as they don't have a good synergy, and I still prefer Coballion for that reason. I know you want to trap Scizor or Ferro who can be a pain but I find a choice locked Magnezone is taken advantage of too easily, that and I do feel many are more wary of trappers.

Edit: Frankly, I have more issues with the rampant BP centric teams, with Scolo or Smeargle. I see that as being the key difference with the merger, as suddenly these teams have gained popularity again.
What Cobalion set are you using to support Diancie with?

I've always liked Cobalion, but I never considered it OU material in XY.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Cobalion is used in VoltTurn teams to deal with Bisharp, who is a pain in the ass for the archetype otherwise. Also, iPhone autocorrect can fuck off.

I actually use a Taunt version just a plain old full attack +speed to set up SR fairly reliably as well being another good absorber for knock off. Taunt tends to catch things like Skarmory or MBro off guard thinking that Coballion will be a free roost/slack off/calm mind. Otherwise I use it for dispatching fairy types or a good switch in against Ferrothorn, once I get it to use Gyroball/Power Whip on my protect Diancie. It also tends to find its use as a means to dispatch or scare off Chansey, who would otherwise be a pain for my team. I did use the support Volt switch but I found the lack of power to be annoying.

Otherwise, if you already have a good SR setter then I'd forgo SR for Volt-switch, as taunt is very useful. Aside Coballion Ferrothorn is a good partner for Protect Diancie since you can easily bait attacks to hit Ferrothorn so they take damage in the process from Iron Barbs. Since steel attacks will generally be a non-issue

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dual Screen support for RP Diancie. Rock Polish sets, in theory, are most effective against offensive teams but Diancie has a terrible matchup against them since it won't get many opportunities to Mega Evolve safely, let alone setup Rock Polish. I'm seeing teams that just throw RP Diancie on it and don't provide any real support for it to sweep. RP/CM Diancie sets need a lot of support to work effectively. Take a look at CBB's offensive team. Diancie practically has no safe opportunities to Mega Evolve.

Dual Screens would give it more opportunities to Mega Evolve and setup. Latios has Screens and Memento which allows Diancie to come in safely. Similarly, Azelf has Screens and Explosion to provide a safe switch-in to Diancie. Klefki has access to Prankster Screens and Spikes to help secure KOs for Diancie (but the two share a Ground weakness so be careful). Bisharp or Defiant Thundurus could pair well with Diancie + Screener to prevent Defog and break down walls for Diancie's sweep.

Dual Screens would give it more opportunities to Mega Evolve and setup. Latios has Screens and Memento which allows Diancie to come in safely. Similarly, Azelf has Screens and Explosion to provide a safe switch-in to Diancie. Klefki has access to Prankster Screens and Spikes to help secure KOs for Diancie (but the two share a Ground weakness so be careful). Bisharp or Defiant Thundurus could pair well with Diancie + Screener to prevent Defog and break down walls for Diancie's sweep.
I've actually tried Light Clay Azelf, and while it could set up screens, it is simply not effective unless every single opposing steel is gone.

252 Atk Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie through Reflect: 122-146 (50.6 - 60.5%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It gets 2HKO'd behind screens, which is simply not acceptable. Diamond Storm 3HKOs so Diancie loses. As for Klefki, maybe I'll try that out, but Latios with Memento seems kinda weird...

I've actually tried Light Clay Azelf, and while it could set up screens, it is simply not effective unless every single opposing steel is gone.

252 Atk Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie through Reflect: 122-146 (50.6 - 60.5%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It gets 2HKO'd behind screens, which is simply not acceptable. Diamond Storm 3HKOs so Diancie loses. As for Klefki, maybe I'll try that out, but Latios with Memento seems kinda weird...
Yeah, you obviously shouldn't setup Diancie when your opponent has a Scizor waiting...
Dual Screen offense typically has 2-3 setup sweepers, so having other Pokemon that can take advantage of Scizor would be beneficial. For example, Gyarados resists Scizor's common Bug/Steel/Fighting coverage and has Intimidate to force it out. It also has Bounce to nail Mega Venusaur/Amoonguss which are obstacles for Diancie. Thundurus is another decent answer to Scizor, and it has good synergy with Dual Screen offense if you use the Defiant set.

Memento on Latios is on the standard Dual Screen sets. It lowers the opponent's offenses even further. You can use it to bring in something safely once Latios has outlived its usefulness.

Yeah, you obviously shouldn't setup Diancie when your opponent has a Scizor waiting...
Dual Screen offense typically has 2-3 setup sweepers, so having other Pokemon that can take advantage of Scizor would be beneficial. For example, Gyarados resists Scizor's common Bug/Steel/Fighting coverage and has Intimidate to force it out. It also has Bounce to nail Mega Venusaur/Amoonguss which are obstacles for Diancie. Thundurus is another decent answer to Scizor, and it has good synergy with Dual Screen offense if you use the Defiant set.

Memento on Latios is on the standard Dual Screen sets. It lowers the opponent's offenses even further. You can use it to bring in something safely once Latios has outlived its usefulness.
Yeah, you're right. It seems all Diancie teams, on an unrelated note - follow the same structure - as I've seen from your RMT, mine, and a few others - Diancie (obv), water-type of choice (rotom, ninja, or azu), Wallbreaker (tflame most of the time), Lati@s, Steel check, and bulky ground.

Yeah, you're right. It seems all Diancie teams, on an unrelated note - follow the same structure - as I've seen from your RMT, mine, and a few others - Diancie (obv), water-type of choice (rotom, ninja, or azu), Wallbreaker (tflame most of the time), Lati@s, Steel check, and bulky ground.
Yeah that's actually a pretty typical team structure for most Magnezone-based offensive teams. I think the DMFP team is mostly responsible for popularizing that structure. The offensive synergy on these types of teams is very solid.

Speaking of Scizor, I'm surprised I don't see more Keldeos on Diancie teams. Keldeo is one of the better Scizor checks and it fits nicely in this team structure.

This thing simply needs more love. If provided with the right support (and it's not even that hard to provide), mega diancie can really wreck teams. Even in uber, mega diancie sweeps like a boss. Earth power deals a ton to primal groundon, dialga; moonblast kills off yvetal and darkrai (you can even magic bounce its silly dark void back to it) and the whole brethren of dragon types that populate ubers; diamond storm ohko ho-oh and 2hko lugia as well.

Even protect can be a troll move lol especially against deoxys that tries to set up on you. Seriously, mega diancie is such a boss idek. I don't get why is it UU at all. Move on people!

This thing simply needs more love. If provided with the right support (and it's not even that hard to provide), mega diancie can really wreck teams. Even in uber, mega diancie sweeps like a boss. Earth power deals a ton to primal groundon, dialga; moonblast kills off yvetal and darkrai (you can even magic bounce its silly dark void back to it) and the whole brethren of dragon types that populate ubers; diamond storm ohko ho-oh and 2hko lugia as well.

Even protect can be a troll move lol especially against deoxys that tries to set up on you. Seriously, mega diancie is such a boss idek. I don't get why is it UU at all. Move on people!
It's UU because it hasn't reached the cutoff point for OU yet, it will probably be OU by the end of the month. And by the way, Mega Diancie was just unanimously banned from UU.

I've had a thought regarding Diancie. You know who actually makes an amazing partner to her mega form? Volcanion! First up, it has Fire / Water typing to counter Scizor. +6 Bullet Punch is a 4HKO, and it can even live a +6 Knock Off with 20% remaining. It can then fire back a super-effective Fire Blast off of base 130 Sp. Attack. I did an analysis of Volcanion on one of my forums way back when, and I concluded that the Assault Vest would actually be a beneficial item to Volcanion - it allows it to take on Greninja, a big problem to Diancie. In return, Diancie can take rock-type attacks. Something like Landorus-T completes this core, providing Intimidate and immunities to electric and ground-type attacks.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've had a thought regarding Diancie. You know who actually makes an amazing partner to her mega form? Volcanion! First up, it has Fire / Water typing to counter Scizor. +6 Bullet Punch is a 4HKO, and it can even live a +6 Knock Off with 20% remaining. It can then fire back a super-effective Fire Blast off of base 130 Sp. Attack. I did an analysis of Volcanion on one of my forums way back when, and I concluded that the Assault Vest would actually be a beneficial item to Volcanion - it allows it to take on Greninja, a big problem to Diancie. In return, Diancie can take rock-type attacks. Something like Landorus-T completes this core, providing Intimidate and immunities to electric and ground-type attacks.
Rock doesn't resist Rock.

Anyway...

is diancie consitured a counter to mega sableye? I've been looking for a hard counter for the little pain in the ass him.
She is to all but the CM+Shadow Ball set since she takes a heft of damage from +1 Shadow Ball. Otherwise, the rest of the sets aren't a problem for her and she can handle him otherwise, since it isn't exactly wise to CM boost up with MDiancie around.

I haven't read through all 25 pages of this thread... but how does Protect compare to other moves in the fourth slot for M-Diancie? I've been using it because I figured it was generally useful to guarantee that you can Mega Evolve safely, but I'm wondering if there are any other "obviously better" moves in that moveslot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)