Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Could Cradily work with Tyranitar, Scizor, Klefki, Nidoking, and Mega-Aerodactyl on its team?
Cradily is not viable in OU, as it is a very passive Pokemon that has no niche outside of storm drain to make it viable. Rock Grass is a decent typing, but its weak to so many common attackers in OU. To be frank, Cradily is just meh even in NU. Your question is very vague, I dont know if you are questioning the viability of Cradily in OU or something else.

I've heard that Cradily used to be decent on sand teams, but this would have been a while back, in like perma weather days. It'd be too much to ask to make it viable in current OU meta without consistent sand and the addition of new threats running round.

Another question about the same team I needed help wth earlier: Should I run Rapid Spin on my Scarf Excadrill or Defog on Latios? Rapid Spin lets Latios run a healing move, but being locked into it will kill momentum. Since I feel like two hazard removal attacks on the same team is redundant and wastes moveslots, which one should I use? Also, does Scarf Excadrill have any viable moves other than EQ/Rock Slide/Iron Head/Spin?

Another question about the same team I needed help wth earlier: Should I run Rapid Spin on my Scarf Excadrill or Defog on Latios? Rapid Spin lets Latios run a healing move, but being locked into it will kill momentum. Since I feel like two hazard removal attacks on the same team is redundant and wastes moveslots, which one should I use? Also, does Scarf Excadrill have any viable moves other than EQ/Rock Slide/Iron Head/Spin?
I'd recommend Defog on Latios, though it probably depends on the rest of the team (need to see it). Latios finds it a bit easier to Defog since it's a bit bulkier, has better typing, and presents a bit more of an offensive threat. With the scarf, Excadrill as you noted eats momentum when it has to spin, but in addition, if a Spinblocker outpredicts and comes in on the spin, you lose momentum and still have hazards. What makes this especially big to me is Mega Sableye: while neither beats him reliably, Latios removes hazards despite Magic Bounce, but Excadrill is blocked and scared out by Wisp, which gives Sableye a chance to heal or to start boosting.

Follow up question for my Mienshao team. I'm debating going Adamant or Jolly for the Scarf set. Are there any important KOs Mienshao would net with Adamant but not Jolly, or relevant Scarfers/boosters it would fail to outspeed? Only immediate concerns I can think of are Garchomp and Speed-Tying Jolly Lando-T, and by extension losing to those creeping it like Adamant DD Zard-X.

Other thing I'm debating are whether to use Manectric or Magnezone for a Voltturn duo. Magnezone obviously is a great trapper, and a slower Volt Switch means fewer hits on Mienshao. That said, I can't quite think of what it traps that Shao needs dealt with badly, besides Skarmory, and then there's the whole "does it have Shed Shell for Magnezone" thing.

So far, I've got
- Scarf Mien
- Scarf/Specs Zone
- M. Gyarados (absorbs Grounnd Pre-Mega for Zone, and Psychic Post for Mienshao, while serving a decent Win-Con once Mienshao punches some holes and Zone eliminates Ferrothorn and Skarmory)

Which leaves me wondering about the rest. If I run offensive, Mega Sableye eats this team for breakfast, but if I shift Gyarados to Sub, I'm not sure how long I can keep him working considering base form's hazard weakness and priority everywhere. So far I'm thinking either Clefable or Sylveon would work, whether as Wish Passer (Sub) or just for Fairy coverage. Clefable would obviously be CM (Magic Guard too?) as a tank/alternate win-con, while Sylveon I'd play as a Wallbreaker with Specs Hyper Voice.

Any thoughts or opinions? Mainly what Gyarados set I should use (Sub or full offense) and which of the Fairies I should use with it.

Cradily is not viable in OU, as it is a very passive Pokemon that has no niche outside of storm drain to make it viable. Rock Grass is a decent typing, but its weak to so many common attackers in OU. To be frank, Cradily is just meh even in NU. Your question is very vague, I dont know if you are questioning the viability of Cradily in OU or something else.
Im questioning if the Team members i listed work with Cradily

Do you use hazards yourself? Would running Defog be counter intuitive to your own stacking of hazards?

Do the ORAS move tutors cover all the moves that the Gen 3/4/5 tutors covered, making it so that it's unnecessary to transfer from previous gens? Or are there still some competitively significant moves missing from pokemon in ORAS that require you to transfer from previous games?

Do the ORAS move tutors cover all the moves that the Gen 3/4/5 tutors covered, making it so that it's unnecessary to transfer from previous gens? Or are there still some competitively significant moves missing from pokemon in ORAS that require you to transfer from previous games?
The only tutors that are covered are the Gen 5 ones. Gen 3 and 4 exclusive tutors still require transfer/

is there any damage calculator that has the new megas implemented, or is adjusting the base stats for each mega on the current damage calculator the best we've got?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
is there any damage calculator that has the new megas implemented, or is adjusting the base stats for each mega on the current damage calculator the best we've got?
Unfortunately, the damage calc has not added the new megas yet. The best is to adjust the base stats, so yeah. Hopefully it will be updated soon.

Any tips to support these 3? Main thing I'm looking into is a Good Fairy to deal with Mega Sableye. Team seems to mainly lean on the offensive side, with Gyarados as my Win-Con after Mienshao chips some stuff down and he gets in with Voltturn. Considered Clefable since it could either be an alternate option w/ CM, or be a Wishpasser to Gyarados so I can use it more in base form, but the speed and only okay power makes me reconsider it.

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Any tips to support these 3? Main thing I'm looking into is a Good Fairy to deal with Mega Sableye. Team seems to mainly lean on the offensive side, with Gyarados as my Win-Con after Mienshao chips some stuff down and he gets in with Voltturn. Considered Clefable since it could either be an alternate option w/ CM, or be a Wishpasser to Gyarados so I can use it more in base form, but the speed and only okay power makes me reconsider it.

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
You said it yourself, clefable pairs nicely with those mons. I'd go with unaware calm mind to completely wall mega sableye or just use stealth rock / soft boiled / 2 attacks.

You said it yourself, clefable pairs nicely with those mons. I'd go with unaware calm mind to completely wall mega sableye or just use stealth rock / soft boiled / 2 attacks.
Do you recommend LO or Leftovers? I've never played full offense before (the messes of teams I've tried before have been closest to Balance), so I'm not sure if Clefable would just want offensive presence, or I need something with a little bulk considering Mienshao's my only decently fast Mon.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Do you recommend LO or Leftovers? I've never played full offense before (the messes of teams I've tried before have been closest to Balance), so I'm not sure if Clefable would just want offensive presence, or I need something with a little bulk considering Mienshao's my only decently fast Mon.
Definitely leftovers.

The tiers are based on usage. Even if they're always holding the stones, they see enough usage to be considered OU by usage alone. The stones are technically just sets they can run, so ranking them separately on usage (bans are a different story) would be like ranking AV Conkeldurr in OU and Choice Band in UU.
But now that Uber is tier and not just a ban list, Mega Gengar isn't really banned anymore, his mega just saw so much usage in OU that when his mega is allowed there he is was considered too powerful, just the same as when for example manectric and pinser moved out of RU because of their megas. Shouldn't Gengar then be moved up to the next tier along with Mawhile? The bottom line is that no matter how you slice it, it's inconsistent. The tiering doesnt stop at OU. It may be the base, but there are tiers above it and below it, just like with the other mons that got boosted in tier due solely to their megas.

On the flip side, whats wrong with banning items? we have a soul dew clause, meaning its not out of the question. Items have been banned before. Why not bring that back?

Last edited:
You can ban a mega stone without banning the pokemon, and tbh, I don't know whether or not Gengar would have enough ubers usage to warrant moving. Poor Mawile certainly doesn't.

But now that Uber is tier and not just a ban list, Mega Gengar isn't really banned anymore, his mega just saw so much usage in OU that when his mega is allowed there he is was considered too powerful, just the same as when for example manectric and pinser moved out of RU because of their megas. Shouldn't Gengar then be moved up to the next tier along with Mawhile? The bottom line is that no matter how you slice it, it's inconsistent. The tiering doesnt stop at OU. It may be the base, but there are tiers above it and below it, just like with the other mons that got boosted in tier due solely to their megas.
Determining what resides in the Uber tier is still done by banning things, not by usage, so there is no inconsistence here.

Question:

I put Pokemon into PokeBank on my X Version to transfer to Alpha Sapphire.
On my AS, how come all of my Pokemon had the blue pentagon still except for one?
I thought the pentagon meant I got the Pokemon in the game itself, but it came from X...

On the flip side, whats wrong with banning items? we have a soul dew clause, meaning its not out of the question. Items have been banned before. Why not bring that back?
Tiering exists in three levels, or tracks if you will.

OU - UU - RU - NU - PU - FU

Ubers

Little Cup - LC UU

Bans in those tiers exist independently of other tiers in other tracks. For example, if UU bans Shadow Tag, then Shadow Tag is banned in UU and every tier below it. If OU bans BP, then OU and every tier below it on it's "track" also bans it. However, Little Cup and Ubers bans exist separate bans in OU. If Ubers did ban Shadow Tag, no other tier would be forced to ban it.

Last edited:
Question:

I put Pokemon into PokeBank on my X Version to transfer to Alpha Sapphire.
On my AS, how come all of my Pokemon had the blue pentagon still except for one?
I thought the pentagon meant I got the Pokemon in the game itself, but it came from X...
The pentagon means it was born in Kalos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)