A Quickstart Guide to ORAS Breeding/Training

Poor Tropius. Not only does soaring exist, it also doesn't have Sweet Scent as soon as you catch it anymore (now instead learning it at Level 6).
Still, since I'm pretty sure Flying is faster than soaring, I'll be stubborn enough to mention Tropius as a Pokémon with access to both Sweet Scent and Fly. It also gets Earthquake and Razor Leaf, with which it can kill the hordes it summons, too. Getting one just may be worth your time.

Edit: And I just noticed it doesn't get Razor Leaf as soon as you catch it anymore either, it now being a Level 1 move. If you're still going for it, just breed for one, so you don't have to waste your precious Heart Scales. It should level quickly enough if you use the Blissey bases.

Last edited:
Poor Tropius. Not only does soaring exist, it also doesn't have Sweet Scent as soon as you catch it anymore (now instead learning it at Level 6).
Still, since I'm pretty sure Flying is faster than soaring, I'll be stubborn enough to mention Tropius as a Pokémon with access to both Sweet Scent and Fly. It also gets Earthquake and Razor Leaf, with which it can kill the hordes it summons, too. Getting one just may be worth your time.

Edit: And I just noticed it doesn't get Razor Leaf as soon as you catch it anymore either, it now being a Level 1 move. If you're still going for it, just breed for one, so you don't have to waste your precious Heart Scales. It should level quickly enough if you use the Blissey bases.
When I ran out to catch a Tropius on Route 119, it had Sweet Scent, Stomp, Magical Leaf and Whirlwind immediately though.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
When I ran out to catch a Tropius on Route 119, it had Sweet Scent, Stomp, Magical Leaf and Whirlwind immediately though.
Sweet Scent is forgotten after Lv26. Tropius caught on Route 119 will always have Sweet Scent (Lv23-25). Tropius caught on Route 120 will never have Sweet Scent (Lv27). I'm fine with mentioning Route 119 Tropius alongside Oddish.

Has anyone got other spots for Defense? Those damn Sandshrews and their Sand Veils...
Couldn't you use Groudon with Earthquake, or Kyogre or Rayquaza with Surf?

Attack, as well? Frisk's getting a little annoying.
Do you need to have a hold item?

Don't forget the 5 man Shadow Sneak.

Also does Harvest Tropius with Leppa Berry work to have unlimited PP for Razor Leaf? I'm having a feeling it doesn't.
The best I can think of is to either use a normal-type, or use a Gallade with Imprison and Shadow Sneak, which is pretty counterproductive anyway. If only Talonflame got Air Cutter.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Has anyone got other spots for Defense? Those damn Sandshrews and their Sand Veils...
Attack, as well? Frisk's getting a little annoying.
I just went through and checked for you, there are no alternative routes for 100% Attack or Defense.

No item Disarming Voice Wigglytuff, Audino, or Exploud can be used to address all these complaints. Disarming Voice never misses and hits all Pokémon in horde battles. These Pokémon are immune to Shadow Sneak and will not activate Frisk. Jigglypuff knows Disarming Voice when caught on Route 115.

Sweet Scent is forgotten after Lv26. Tropius caught on Route 119 will always have Sweet Scent (Lv23-25). Tropius caught on Route 120 will never have Sweet Scent (Lv27). I'm fine with mentioning Route 119 Tropius alongside Oddish.
I was a bit confused. My mistake.

Anyway, having just horde EV trained using my Tropius (Thanks for the guide!), I can recommend it. Very pleased with it.
Related to this issue is that in XY I always made my Tropius hold a Wide Lens, to make sure every Razor Leaf hit. While its moves still don't have perfect accuracy in this situation and I'd recommend going for the perfect accuracy too, it's an option. You can find the Wide Lens near the fishing pond on Route 123.

I only really recommend using the Wide Lens for Defense EVs for people like me who want one Pokémon to be able to do the whole EV training thing. Using Wigglytuff probably is the better option there- I still expect the Lens to miss a lot.

Well, I guess Wigglytuff now has... some... sort of competitive use.
But I hate it so I'll use Audino instead. Besides, it gets Klutz.

This probably has nothing to do with this thread, but I've been working on the Mesuda Method trying to get a shiny Eevee. I've been working on it for quite a while, but I can't seem to hatch one. Is there a way to break your streak that I don't know about, or a faster way to do this? Thanks!

This probably has nothing to do with this thread, but I've been working on the Mesuda Method trying to get a shiny Eevee. I've been working on it for quite a while, but I can't seem to hatch one. Is there a way to break your streak that I don't know about, or a faster way to do this? Thanks!
I'm about 99.9% sure there's no streak like that, but there is the Shiny Charm if you don't have that yet. It's a key item that slightly increases your chances to get a shiny, and contrary to popular belief does stack with Masuda Method. The downside to this is that to get it you have to complete the National Dex, event only Pokémon not included.
Good luck on your shiny hunt!

Last edited:
Special Attack: Oddish — Route 119
While I realize this is for 100% accuracy, I found this location inconsistent because of rain. I horde train against Spinda for special attack on Route 113. You do have a chance of finding Skarmory instead, but those are pretty rare, so if it's raining on Route 119 (as it often is), Route 113 deserves a mention.

Something to note if you are battling lots of horde battles the pokemon with the most moves with the most PP amd accuracy that hit only opposing pokemon is dragalge. It has twister, acid, bubble, can learn surf (but it hits your partner in doubles) and be tutored to have icy wind which has 95 accuracy. This is good for horde battling and farming the TV reporters for money and XP.

Note I give full credit to the person who answered my question about which pokemon had all the requirements for moves that only effect the opposing pokemon in the OI thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)