Gen 6 ORAS Ubers Viability Ranking Thread

Which is your favourite new Mega Evolution to use in Ubers?

• Mega Salamence

Votes: 415 61.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 56 8.3%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 45 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 100 14.9%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 56 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if you're trolling or legitimately stupid, but in case it's the latter I'll elaborate.

Deoxys-S has SR, Spikes, Taunt, Magic Coat, and Skill Swap. Aero is slower, doesn't have Spikes, can't reflect Taunt/hazards/status moves with Magic Coat, and can't get past Magic Bouncers like Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye. Perhaps Deo-S's greatest strength is that it can come out on top vs. the legendary Ubers Aerodactyl lead(!). I can't think of anything that anti-leads Deo-S that doesn't also beat Aero.

Deoxys-A has SR, Spikes, Psycho Boost, Knock Off, and Extreme Speed. It can set up Spikes (unlike Aero) and hits like a freight train with moves that are much stronger and have more utility (item removal and priority). If you want a hard hitting, SR setting lead, look no further.
252+ SpA Deoxys-A Psycho Boost vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 274-324 (71.7 - 84.8%)
252 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 121-144 (31.6 - 37.6%)

Between the two Deoxys formes, Aerodactyl has no niche in Ubers (aside from swagging on your opponent). Deo-S can set up 2 types of hazards and bypass any anti-hazard leads with the correct combination of moves. Deo-A can set up hazards while maintaining offensive pressure on your opponent. Aerodactyl resists Extreme Speed and can strike back with Fire Blast coming off base 60 Sp Atk, so I guess it's got that going for it.

In case u didnt realise, aerodactyl is used with greninja normally, with greninja leading, setting spikes/tspikes, and aero keeping them on field with taunt while getting up rocks.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In case u didnt realise, aerodactyl is used with greninja normally, with greninja leading, setting spikes/tspikes, and aero keeping them on field with taunt while getting up rocks.
I'm not really sure you want two mons that do almost nothing outside setting hazards and suiciding to get them up (hint: you don't). As stated before, there are the Deoxys formes for suicide leads, and for reliability there's Groudon, Dialga, etc. for Rocks and Keys or Ferro for Spikes. All those mons are capable of checking Ubers threats as well, unlike Aero and Greninja.

lolaero

I think Genesect should rise to A-, since it can now check Soul Dew Lati@s and Salamence pretty well, as well as just being a great scouter with U-turn.

I'd also like to bring up Latios, as I feel he may as well go S. I'd like to point out that he is an amazing Xerneas lure if he packs Roar. Latios OHKOes something with Draco Meteor, then Xerneas comes in and tries to set up, only to get phazed and thus waste its only chance. There's also Memento (something Latias lacks), which can allow Latios to make way for SmashPass.

I'm not really sure you want two mons that do almost nothing outside setting hazards and suiciding to get them up (hint: you don't). As stated before, there are the Deoxys formes for suicide leads, and for reliability there's Groudon, Dialga, etc. for Rocks and Keys or Ferro for Spikes. All those mons are capable of checking Ubers threats as well, unlike Aero and Greninja.
It's an extreme case, but Aero+Gren was somewhat explored by Dice in XY Ubers. The team went with extreme measures to keep up his hazards and worked pretty decently. It wasn't really my style so I can't comment much about it but it certainly showed why Aero could have a niche in Ubers play. I still don't know if I consider Aero that viable, but Gren certainly was and possibly still is.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Js, Mega Aero actually has a couple of uses outside of suicide leading, unlike Deo-S. Its typing allows it to check the numerous Flying-types in the metagame at the moment (Mega Sal, Rayquaza, Ho-oh), revenge kill weakened MMY, as well take an ES from +2 Ekiller and chip damage it somewhat (could mean a dead Ekiller if you chipped it from like 30%, which does happen from time to time).

Js, Mega Aero actually has a couple of uses outside of suicide leading, unlike Deo-S. Its typing allows it to check the numerous Flying-types in the metagame at the moment (Mega Sal, Rayquaza, Ho-oh), revenge kill weakened MMY, as well take an ES from +2 Ekiller and chip damage it somewhat (could mean a dead Ekiller if you chipped it from like 30%, which does happen from time to time).
That sounds very interesting, but I'm not sure how well it would work in practice. Do you have some replays?

Eg,
vs Mega Salamence:
+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 274-323 (91 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 233-275 (77.4 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 249-293 (82.7 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

vs Rayquaza:
252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 238-281 (79 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza (No Move) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 177-209 (58.8 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 79-94 (26.2 - 31.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

vs Ho-Oh:
252+ Atk Choice Band Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 183-216 (60.7 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Also, it burns you.

Feels like a rather shaky check tbh. Though I'll assume more bulk is invested.

Since we are talking about B ranks, I think Tyranitar could drop to B- since it's job to set up sandstorm got harder, It still has a niche in that it can check Ho-Oh, Darkrai, Lugia and Yveltal but Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre completely cockblock it's sandstorm as well as Rayquaza. I don't think sand teams are dead since you could pair up Mega Gengar to try to take them out. Excadrill also gained an advantage in that Primal Groudon is weak to EQ and most Kyogre now are Primal and don't run max speed so it's able to outspeed most variants. Now that I've said all this, it's time to build a sand team lol. Actually just now I remember that Soul Dew Latis exist so Tyranitar did gain 2 more things it's good against so idk about it dropping anymore.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Too late :]

252+ SpA Victini Glaciate vs. 248 HP / 148 SpD Mega Salamence: 244-288 (62 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

All Mega Mence needs is max HP and a decent amount of SpDef investment to survive a Glaciate from Modest max Special Attack Victini after stealth rock, but who would run Modest to begin with when being outsped is really easy at that point?

If running Timid, it's hilarious:

252 SpA Victini Glaciate vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Mega Salamence: 248-292 (63.1 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Believe me, Victini is not the answer, lol.
First off I want to point out that I was more or less being a smart-ass about mentioning Glaciate. I only mentioned it because I easily can imagine Mence trying to set-up on Victini because of its resistances to victini's STABs. 1) No one uses that much bulk on a Mega Mence unless it is a defensive set, and 2) those calcs are lacking a boosting item such as Expert Belt or Life Orb. The calcs just prove that you were trying to be smart-ass like myself in the post I mentioned Glaciate, literally by maxing out bulk on the calc, a quite ridiculous amount too by leaving no room for Speed and Atk - two of Salamence's most defining traits. Victini will lure Salamence, outspeed on the MegaEvo turn, and KO with Glaciate. That's that. The fact that you believe someone would run that much bulk on Mence more so than running +Spe Victini, is hilarious.

Naive Life Orb would be a fine set on Victini, but it would just be walled by PDon, as all sets are; so I think overall Victini has lost its niche in this meta as a decent GeoXern check. It'll find some use on TR teams, but nothing else. Possibly, C Rank is deserving.

~

EDIT:
The overwhelming argument for it dropping down is the unbelievably opportunity cost that your team surrers from as a result of using regular Groudon. I also agree that regular Groudon is a very solid choice but apparently people since page 1 think that the opportunity cost is too high to justify Groudon being in higher ranks. B+ was where i wanted it but I read through everyone's opinions and I believe B was a more agreed-upon option i'm afraid :(
I've found one reason to use regular Groudon: Classic Sun. Since I believe Groudon is only viable on this play style, and the play style actually prefers it over PDon; PDon's roles for a 'standard' team are fulfilled by other mons on this playstyle (example, PDon regularly is a xerneas check; but on classic sun Ho-Oh is the check to it), and so there really isn't opportunity cost using regular Groudon because its usage is highly justified for the teams that it fits on, and It's still a blanket wall and is easy to support with Lati@s. I realize that it is essentially restricted to a single playstyle, but it still has a niche that it fulfills well and so for that reason, I think B+ is fine.

Last edited:
lolaero

I think Genesect should rise to A-, since it can now check Soul Dew Lati@s and Salamence pretty well, as well as just being a great scouter with U-turn.

I'd also like to bring up Latios, as I feel he may as well go S. I'd like to point out that he is an amazing Xerneas lure if he packs Roar. Latios OHKOes something with Draco Meteor, then Xerneas comes in and tries to set up, only to get phazed and thus waste its only chance. There's also Memento (something Latias lacks), which can allow Latios to make way for SmashPass.
Latios does not have much space for Roar. All it really has space for is Draco Meteor / Psyshock / Coverage / Defog Recover Memento. Not to mention that if Xerneas does not try to set up on you, Latios will get OHKOd 63% of the time by Modest Xerneas' Moonblast, factoring in Soul Dew boost.

252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 284-336 (94 - 111.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Now, I do agree that S Rank is a plausibility for Latios, but I do not agree with making it rise based on your argument.

Have been looking through list again, and believe that quag also deserves a c rank, because it is one of the best ekiller checks, and adds a ground type to help with zekrom.

Edit:
Also checks non hjk blaze and blanket walls a bunch of shit like scizor, lando etc.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Have been looking through list again, and believe that quag also deserves a c rank, because it is one of the best ekiller checks, and adds a ground type to help with zekrom.

Edit:
Also checks non hjk blaze and blanket walls a bunch of shit like scizor, lando etc.
Quagsire was rejected for an analysis;;;

Using quag for ekiller is kinda pointless when we have a million better (better meaning useful in other areas) things that fit any playstyle of team, and checking zekrom isnt even that impressive these days. quag is a nightmare to have a decent build with and its benefits are nowhere near worth it. fireburn sums it up nicely in an older post:
Quagsire B- -> Removed: This thing sucks.
i also agree with previous posts suggesting latis for S, these mons are as good as ever.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
C+ -> B-(at least): The Eon twins returning is great for this thing. Scarf Checks them pretty handily with the threat of flinching them to death while still being a great asset on some forms of offense. The support set's niche is also bolstered by the return of the Eon Twins since it now does more than just check Xerneas and wish pass. It is better than a lot of the C+ tier (Strongzong, Psyceus, Steelceus, Gira-A) and Mega Altaria in my opinion. U-Turn makes up for its Primal Groudon weakness and can be used to remove the thing with proper team support.

Going to defend regular Groudon here:

Even though its defensive capabilities are overshadowed by its Primal version, it still has a niche and is "arguably" better than PDonner as a set-up sweeper. PDonner has affected the metagame to the point in which everyone is prepared for it while its normal version is much more overlooked. Double Dance is probably the only set that regular Groudon performs better at, as most teams aren't really a regular Groudon when they see the sprite in the team preview. And even if they do know, a lot of teams don't pack solid checks (fall of Lando-T, Waterceus, etc.) and instead pack checks to PDonner (Groundceus, ground type moves on everything, etc.)

Groudon can also handle Ekiller a lot better and doesn't get randomly revenged by flying EQ's everywhere.

Going to defend regular Groudon here:

Even though its defensive capabilities are overshadowed by its Primal version, it still has a niche and is "arguably" better than PDonner as a set-up sweeper. PDonner has affected the metagame to the point in which everyone is prepared for it while its normal version is much more overlooked. Double Dance is probably the only set that regular Groudon performs better at, as most teams aren't really a regular Groudon when they see the sprite in the team preview. And even if they do know, a lot of teams don't pack solid checks (fall of Lando-T, Waterceus, etc.) and instead pack checks to PDonner (Groundceus, ground type moves on everything, etc.)

Groudon can also handle Ekiller a lot better and doesn't get randomly revenged by flying EQ's everywhere.
I agree the premises of this post, but I think that the arguments is flawed. Groudon is vastly better as a physical wall compared to pdon. Earthquake is basically on every single physical mon now, and nearly all of these earthquakers, when boosted, OHKOs pdon. I simply cannot imagine pdon being any good as a physical wall. Additionally, Groudon has access to leftovers which aids the longevity significantly. Conversely, pdon has burn immune and utilizes the immunity to easily get set up opportunity for DD set. Pdon is clearly better for DD set. Honestly, you should only use Groudon for physical defensive set, and that's it. That alone is worth B+ for being the best physically defensive tank in the meta IMO.

I agree the premises of this post, but I think that the arguments is flawed. Groudon is vastly better as a physical wall compared to pdon. Earthquake is basically on every single physical mon now, and nearly all of these earthquakers, when boosted, OHKOs pdon. I simply cannot imagine pdon being any good as a physical wall. Additionally, Groudon has access to leftovers which aids the longevity significantly. Conversely, pdon has burn immune and utilizes the immunity to easily get set up opportunity for DD set. Pdon is clearly better for DD set. Honestly, you should only use Groudon for physical defensive set, and that's it. That alone is worth B+ for being the best physically defensive tank in the meta IMO.
The thing is, because of that, Will-o-Wisp has decreased quite a bit in usage (maybe that's just me but I don't see it very often anymore) so you can say that Groudon can also find more opportunities to set up. You also stated that since "earthquake is basically on every single physical mon now", most would not be prepared to run a coverage move to deal with Regular Groudon, again allowing to more chances to break through the opposing team.

Sure WoW decreasing in usage is a bit of a trend, but that's still more than trumped by actually being immune to it. Meanwhile PDon's typing and ability give it a shitload more resistances and an immunity to set up on- Rock resistance and EQ neutrality vs. Water immunity, Steel, Fire and fairy resistances. I would count Bug but that's only relevant in the form of U-turn. Not to mention that that rock resistance isn't all that relevant imo since it's not a common attack type.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sure WoW decreasing in usage is a bit of a trend, but that's still more than trumped by actually being immune to it. Meanwhile PDon's typing and ability give it a shitload more resistances and an immunity to set up on- Rock resistance and EQ neutrality vs. Water immunity, Steel, Fire and fairy resistances. I would count Bug but that's only relevant in the form of U-turn. Not to mention that that rock resistance isn't all that relevant imo since it's not a common attack type.
Stealth Rock.

Stealth Rock.
Well we're talking about shit offensive variants can set up on, which is why I dismissed it, especially since you're only switching in once or twice and bulk isn't as important for offensive sets. Of course the SR neutrality becomes a hell of a lot more important for physically defensive sets where, as Orch has been pointing out, regular Don outclasses PDon (really its only niche)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)