Pokémon Absol

Status
Not open for further replies.
One word: Terrakion. It would only take a pittance from Knock Off, and its Attack would be boosted by a level as well. Play Rough, however, is capable of granting your Mega Absol the coverage it would need against it, as well as Hidden Ability Lucario if your opponent is using another Pokemon for their Mega Evolution slot.
Terrakion won't enjoy losing its choice scarf. After knocking off its scarf, you can proceed to 1hko it with Superpower.

Well, if you were running Superpower.... You could use that on the switch to OHKO Terakion or Lucario. Play Rough isn't really necessary, since Superpower covers most of the same pokemon. Especially after Swords Dance.
Superpower is the better option against Lucario and Terrakion.

252 Atk Mega Absol Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 318-376 (98.4 - 116.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 238-282 (73.6 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Mega Absol Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 390-460 (138.7 - 163.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 147-173 (52.3 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And what about Keldeo? It would also laugh at Knock Off, and I'm not sure Superpower would be enough to defeat it.
Play Rough can't even 1hko Keldeo. I can't see any reason to use Play Rough on Absol.

252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 238-282 (73.6 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mega Absol Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 159-188 (49.2 - 58.2%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

There isn't any reason to use it anymore. I thought it would be great at first. But Superpower far outclasses it. There aren't enough Fairies to make Play Rough worth it. Play Rough doesn't do enough damage to fairies as is.

Also, Swords Dance Absol should always use Superpower since he's capable of OHKOing all of those threats with it at +2.

There isn't any reason to use it anymore. I thought it would be great at first. But Superpower far outclasses it. There aren't enough Fairies to make Play Rough worth it. Play Rough doesn't do enough damage to fairies as is.

Also, Swords Dance Absol should always use Superpower since he's capable of OHKOing all of those threats with it at +2.
I think play rough is good against Dragons like Dragonite who resist superpower. But Knock Off, especially after a sword dance is deadlier.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
absol evolved into absolutly lol but whats a good moveset for its mega
Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Ice Beam

Knock Off is for a powerful STAB move Sucker Punch is for strong priority, Superpower covers Bisharp and Tyranitar, and Ice Beam covers gliscor mostly, but also Landorus-T and Landorus-I. Fire Blast can be used instead of Ice Beam for a powerful hit v. Ferrothorn and Skarmory, but I generally find Ice coverage support harder to provide than Fire coverage.

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Ice Beam

Knock Off is for a powerful STAB move Sucker Punch is for strong priority, Superpower covers Bisharp and Tyranitar, and Ice Beam covers gliscor mostly, but also Landorus-T and Landorus-I. Fire Blast can be used instead of Ice Beam for a powerful hit v. Ferrothorn and Skarmory, but I generally find Ice coverage support harder to provide than Fire coverage.
Can't you use Play Rough over Superpower? Not that it's a bad choice, it's just I'm really not liking the Attack drop.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
absol could with max attack
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 202-238 (59.2 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 148-176 (36.6 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

It only does 70% to offensive Tyranitar, and 44% to defensive Tyranitar. You need Superpower for the OHKO.

252 Atk Mega Absol Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 540-636 (158.3 - 186.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mega Absol Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 392-464 (97 - 114.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I'm surprised no one considers this guy as an answer to MSableye, I mean I know Msalamence has taken over but this guy could prove itself relevant now that knock off and playrough are legal together.
I agree completely. I've been using M-Absol for a long time. The only problem I see is that Foul Play will OHKO Absol if he sets up swords dance. Otherwise, he's taking over half. But he can block the wisps and taunts.

What fourth move would be good on this thing? I've been wanting to use one since Knock Off + Play Rough became legal, so I've got a Jolly Play Rough, Knock Off, Sucker Punch one set up on cart -- problem is, I dunno what else to put on it, and I'm really not too fond of Swords Dance on something frail as paper. I'm thinking Superpower, but does Play Rough + Dark moves make that redundant?

What fourth move would be good on this thing? I've been wanting to use one since Knock Off + Play Rough became legal, so I've got a Jolly Play Rough, Knock Off, Sucker Punch one set up on cart -- problem is, I dunno what else to put on it, and I'm really not too fond of Swords Dance on something frail as paper. I'm thinking Superpower, but does Play Rough + Dark moves make that redundant?
Try fireblast for ferro, superpower is there for heatran or if you really really hate physically defensive tyranitar.

Substitute is always a nice option if you think you can force a switch, I always forget to mention substitute.

You could also use a pseudo-Bisharp-style triple-dark-type move combination and use Pursuit in your fourth slot. You can use that to pick off fleeing pokes that you've already weakened, and it means that if you've got your Absol in then you have the opportunity to put your opponent in checkmate no matter what play they try to make, so long as you predict correctly, of course.

Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Superpower, Thunderbolt and Pursuit are all great options for the 4th slot. Even Will-o-Wisp can be nice on the switch for things like Azumarill, but I haven't used that in a while tbh.

Does Absol have more or less viability in OU now that ORAS has been released?

On one hand, Play Rough is legal with Knock Off. But on another there are new faster threats like M-Lopunny who resists Sucker Punch. M-Sceptile also outspeeds. I feel a lot of the new megas outspeed Absol, which really hurts since before ORAS, he outsped a majority of the megas.

On one hand, Play Rough is legal with Knock Off. But on another there are new faster threats like M-Lopunny who resists Sucker Punch. M-Sceptile also outspeeds. I feel a lot of the new megas outspeed Absol, which really hurts since before ORAS, he outsped a majority of the megas.
Mega Absol outspeeds the now crowded 110 speed tier, which is really good.

Absol's problems in ORAS OU are the same as XY - namely, being very frail and that bad Speed before Mega Evolving. Mega Diancie showing up as competition does not help matters.

I run a set of Knock Off / Sucker / Ice Beam and S-Power. Ice Beam deals a lot better with Lando and Gliscor switch ins, and it's a much better option than Fire Blast in most cases. Superpower guarantees the KO on all forms of Tyranitar and does a lot to a Ferrothorn, so it's probably the better option. (I made it to 1700 with an Absol team, so I've tested out pretty much every set.)

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck

1. 110 Speed tier has been inflated; Absol likes this as it can revenge kill most of them (Latios, Latias, Metagross)
2. It handles Mega Sableye pretty well, in being immune to Will-o-Wisp and taking little from Dark/Ghost moves.

Overall I'd say it's a bit better now. In my opinion it went from being D-rank worthy to like C-rank worthy.

I run a set of Knock Off / Sucker / Ice Beam and S-Power. Ice Beam deals a lot better with Lando and Gliscor switch ins, and it's a much better option than Fire Blast in most cases. Superpower guarantees the KO on all forms of Tyranitar and does a lot to a Ferrothorn, so it's probably the better option. (I made it to 1700 with an Absol team, so I've tested out pretty much every set.)
How crazy does Iron Tail sound? It lets it beat Diancie + check Clefable.

It's not very good, to be honest. You're really better off running other moves, and that 75% accuracy will screw you over a lot more than you think.
Not to mention
252 Atk Mega Absol Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 214-252 (54.3 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
A single Moonblast easily destroys you back, so you're better off switching out anyways. It certainly doesn't beat M-Diancie since you have to be lucky enough to catch it on the switch, and if he's already Mega Evolved, you risk that speed tie.
By the way, cute avatar~

1. 110 Speed tier has been inflated; Absol likes this as it can revenge kill most of them (Latios, Latias, Metagross)
2. It handles Mega Sableye pretty well, in being immune to Will-o-Wisp and taking little from Dark/Ghost moves.
Yep, these two things make Absol so much better in ORAS OU.
It's good in UU since Florges is so common, but I don't think it's as viable in OU even with Clefable and Diancie around. Absol also seems to benefit from the other coverage moves more in OU whereas only Fire Blast and Superpower are really competing for Iron Tail down in UU for Forretress and Mega Aggron/Blissey and Umbreon. Iron Tail's probably not bad, but inferior.

A single Moonblast easily destroys you back, so you're better off switching out anyways. It certainly doesn't beat M-Diancie since you have to be lucky enough to catch it on the switch, and if he's already Mega Evolved, you risk that speed tie.
Iron Tail isn't the most viable, but Mega Diancie is in the Base 110 Speed tier, so Absol outspeeds as long as they're both in the same form.

How well does Mega Absol stack against Mega Slowbro, since we've established he beats Sableye handily?

And are there any moves worth considering with the new threats in ORAS? Absol always did have a pretty huge movepool, so I'm wondering if anything got more viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)