Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Taken over from Minus's version found here
Approved by Raseri
Original OP by Mazz

Welcome, NUers and all those looking for an excellent competitive Pokemon experience! A new installment of an old Pokemon game means we've got new Pokemon to research!

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
A few things to clarify:
  • Early period means the first three days of the research week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • Sign-Ups close Wednesday nights (about three and a half days of sign-ups), so be sure to sign up before they close!
  • I don't have any prizes to give if you win, but your name with be forever in this thread's Hall of Fame
  • You must post a ladder ranking in order to win the above prize(s).
This Week's Research Pokemon:

Pawniard | Lanturn| Roselia | Rotom-Fan
How useful are these Pokemon in ORAS NU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #neverused as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us!
  • At the end of the week, post the set of the Pokemon that you've been using. We'd love to see what creative sets you used and hear how that worked out for you.
The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymoning will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown NU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends.
Week 1:

Ninetales| Tangela| Togetic| Musharna

Last edited by a moderator:

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'll take the mon that is visibly worse in this meta compared to the others and go with Tangela
I'll go under the alt Chaingela

Alright so I've been having pretty good success with Musharna. I'm using Musharna on a balanced team as a pivot for Scyther with u-turn which creates a really nice combination that keeps momentum on your side (U-Pass?). Having a slow baton pass is really nice for walls that cant do much to Musharna but Musharna threatens them with Psychic STAB. U-turn from scyther is good for getting chip damage on steels for musharna, bringing in poison types for musharna, and forcing out bulky psychics such as mesprit and uxie which musharna is setup bait for since I'm using thunder wave instead of calm mind.

I really like thunder wave because (besides being a hax god) Musharna is bulky enough to take hits from common setup sweepers and fast pokemon that balance usually struggles with, such as Feraligatr and Archeops, and slow them down so a team mate can deal with them. Calm Mind is still a solid option if your team struggles with CM psychics. Psychic is more useful on non-CM variants of Musharna IMO because you're not going to be getting into a calm mind war and psychic allows you do more damage to feraligatr, Weezing, Gorebyss, Archeops, and the chance to get spdef drops are nice. Most poison types that switch into U-turns are usually more physically defensive (garbodor, weezing) so there's another reason to use psychic over psyshock.

I haven't had enough room to fit heal bell which sucks because I like switching Musharna in on Weezing while they go for will-o-wisp (synchronize). The move set I've been running is:

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpA
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Baton Pass
- Moonlight

240 hp is a leftovers number. You want physically defensive so you have a solid switch in to fighting types, and Musharna can take a knock off from Hariyama/Sawk/Gurdurr and moonlight so that knock off does less damage the next time.
Another variation of Musharna would be this set which is better for turning musharna's usual psychic switch-ins into setup bait:

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpA
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Heal Bell
- Moonlight

I've been at like 40-60 range on the ladder with a Musharna team. I plan on laddering a lot more with Musharna because it's different and effective in the current metagame. Here's some replays I've had on the ladder :D

Vs. tetsuo_kaneda http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-192039854
Vs. Dentricos http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-191980155
Vs. nabilla the angel http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-191977049
Vs. iplaytennislol http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-191942937
Vs. Frogeggs http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-191933637
Vs. hi im reik http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-191631057

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, sorry it took so long, I had some IRL things I had to deal with. On to week #2:
This Week's Research Pokemon:

Pawniard | Lanturn| Roselia | Rotom-Fan

Also, I just wanted to say, if there are any Pokemon that you would like to see in one of these weeks, pm me and I'll try to get it in here!

Also, congrats to Davon for winning Week #1!

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just so people know, you can use as many of the weeks research Pokemon as you want on a team. Its not limited to just one.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Lanturn
Edit also Pawniard, building my team, it was a good fit lol
tigre woods
edit again thought ladder would have been reset before making team so its crap now with pangoro running around so nevermind me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)