Gen 6 ORAS Ubers Viability Ranking Thread

Which is your favourite new Mega Evolution to use in Ubers?

• Mega Salamence

Votes: 415 61.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 56 8.3%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 45 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 100 14.9%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 56 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the meta being even more offensive than before, I think Mega-Kang should be much higher.
The Fake Out set (with Earthquake) is awesome, with great anti-leading and revenge killing utilities.

With the meta being even more offensive than before, I think Mega-Kang should be much higher.
The Fake Out set (with Earthquake) is awesome, with great anti-leading and revenge killing utilities.
The thing is, Mega Kangaskhan faces massive competition for the Mega slot, mainly from Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Salamence and Mega Gengar. They're all much better overall and have many more pros over Mega Kanga. Parental Bond's damage output is certainly good, but Mega Kangaskhan lacks resistances and can't switch in a lot.

Ferrothorn for B-

Don't get me wrong. Ferrothorn is still a great defensive Pokemon. In past metagames, it was very difficult to break down, especially in Rain, but there's the issue. Let me tell you a small tale about presence of Rain in Ubers:

From its birth in Gen III, Kyogre reigned supreme with its Rain. Mons quad weak to Fire, such as Scizor, Forretress (no longer viable anyway) and the aforementioned Ferrothorn praised Kyogre as their Kyogrelord and Savior. As a reward for their loyalty, Kyogre granted these fire-weak mons with the gift of Holy water, nullifying Fire type attacks to help survive the perils of intense heat. Once the Rain has appeared on the battlefield, it stayed forever.

XY Ubers would have different plans for Rain. Instead of lasting forever, it was only allowed to stick around for 8 short turns before dissipating in to nothingness. Kyogre was distraught when He heard Arceus proclaim this new rule, but despite His inner anger, He dealt with it for as long as He could.

However, Kyogre would eventually fall victim to one of the seven deadly sins; Greed. When the Kyogrelord discovered a new plateau of Primal power buried deep within the Hoenn Region's Cave of Origin, He no longer wished to share its beloved Rain with its team when He found out that Primordial Sea's rain can last forever, as long as he stays in. Otherwise, it disappears.

With the Primal Reversion of Kyogre no longer being able to share its Rain with Ferrothorn means that Ferrothorn has a much harder time trying to deal with Pokemon that run Fire type coverage moves (non-STAB, essentially), such as anything running HP Fire, Fire Punch on mons like Jirachi, Flamethrower on Genesect and Fire Blast on Clefable, ect, not to mention the presence of the Almighty Primal Groudon shitting on its life even further. It doesn't help with the fact that it's complete setup fodder for SubDD Mega Mence, as all Mence has to do is PP stall out Ferro's Gyro Balls and then set up on him basically for free behind a Sub.

greninja is actually a very usable pokemon that people do not know about not only because of spike stacking, actually spike stacking is of its secondary strength, greninja can pressure massively with it wide coverage stab. For instance, gunk shot destroys xern.

The thing is, Mega Kangaskhan faces massive competition for the Mega slot, mainly from Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Salamence and Mega Gengar. They're all much better overall and have many more pros over Mega Kanga. Parental Bond's damage output is certainly good, but Mega Kangaskhan lacks resistances and can't switch in a lot.
Yeah I see there is a big opportunity cost, but M-Kang is still very unique and is an excellent option for your mega slot.
Anti-leading, priority RK (Mega Salamence won't like him), with decent offensive pressure, she's a given against offense.

Lack resistance yes, but only one weakness with decent bulk means you can take almost any unboosted hit.
For example, even Primal-Groudon with its sky-high defense lose in a leading opposition against her because she can actually take a hit and 2HKO.

Yeah I see there is a big opportunity cost, but M-Kang is still very unique and is an excellent option for your mega slot.
Anti-leading, priority RK (Mega Salamence won't like him), with decent offensive pressure, she's a given against offense.

Lack resistance yes, but only one weakness with decent bulk means you can take almost any unboosted hit.
For example, even Primal-Groudon with its sky-high defense lose in a leading opposition against her because she can actually take a hit and 2HKO.
I wouldn't call it an 'excellent' option, since that adjective is better used to describe something like Mega Salamence or Mega Gengar, the very best Mega Evolutions available in Ubers. I won't deny Mega Kangaskhan certainly has its uses, but your logic is flawed; sure, Mega Kangaskhan can 2HKO Groudon, but it can't switch in on Primal Groudon's STABs and even with Parental Bond, the 2HKO isn't even guaranteed. What does that matchup prove?

Mega Salamence has the luxury of Intimidate before Mega Evolution, meaning it can set up on just about any attacker at -1 Attack thanks to its 95/130 physical bulk, which is astronomical for a sweeper. Its 120 Speed is lethal, since it speedties with Arceus (assuming the same nature/investment) and basically outspeeds everything in Ubers at +1. It's got great offensive power thanks to Aerilate Return/Double-Edge and only needs one coverage move to pull off a clean sweep against just about any team. You see, Mega Salamence is nigh unstoppable once it gets going. There's plenty of Pokémon that can put Mega Kangaskhan to a halt, so a given against offense is grossly overselling Mega Kangaskhan.

I think B+ is good enough a rank for Mega Kanga. It simply doesn't compare to Mega Evolutions in higher rankings and faces quite some competition for a Mega slot, though it's still viable enough to be considered for a teamslot.

no it cannot. The only glass cannon that is usable in Ubers is Deoxys-Attack, as it can actually threaten to OHKO things with Life Orb Psycho Boost and is impossible to switch into.
Are you implying that Greninja is a glass cannon that is unusable in Uber?

I wouldn't call it an 'excellent' option, since that adjective is better used to describe something like Mega Salamence or Mega Gengar, the very best Mega Evolutions available in Ubers. I won't deny Mega Kangaskhan certainly has its uses, but your logic is flawed; sure, Mega Kangaskhan can 2HKO Groudon, but it can't switch in on Primal Groudon's STABs and even with Parental Bond, the 2HKO isn't even guaranteed. What does that matchup prove?

Mega Salamence has the luxury of Intimidate before Mega Evolution, meaning it can set up on just about any attacker at -1 Attack thanks to its 95/130 physical bulk, which is astronomical for a sweeper. Its 120 Speed is lethal, since it speedties with Arceus (assuming the same nature/investment) and basically outspeeds everything in Ubers at +1. It's got great offensive power thanks to Aerilate Return/Double-Edge and only needs one coverage move to pull off a clean sweep against just about any team. You see, Mega Salamence is nigh unstoppable once it gets going. There's plenty of Pokémon that can put Mega Kangaskhan to a halt, so a given against offense is grossly overselling Mega Kangaskhan.

I think B+ is good enough a rank for Mega Kanga. It simply doesn't compare to Mega Evolutions in higher rankings and faces quite some competition for a Mega slot, though it's still viable enough to be considered for a teamslot.
The matchup is to show how good it is as anti-lead option, as I think SR Primal-Groudon is going to be one of the most common lead option.
Deoxys-A, Deoxys-S, Dialga, Mega-Diancie... they all won't like you, which can make really difficult setting SR up against you.

While Mega-Salamence is nigh unstoppable, M-Kang is going to be great for RK this one, especially after Double-Edge recoil.
Against hyper offense, nothing can set up healthy, so having this priority RK support is crucial.

I think in such an offensive meta, Mega-Kang deserve A or A- rank.
It is more viable than Mega-Blaziken or Mega-Mewtwo-X for example, which are in A- rank.

The matchup is to show how good it is as anti-lead option, as I think SR Primal-Groudon is going to be one of the most common lead option.
Deoxys-A, Deoxys-S, Dialga, Mega-Diancie... they all won't like you, which can make really difficult setting SR up against you.

While Mega-Salamence is nigh unstoppable, M-Kang is going to be great for RK this one, especially after Double-Edge recoil.
Against hyper offense, nothing can set up healthy, so having this priority RK support is crucial.

It is more viable than Mega-Blaziken or Mega-Mewtwo-X for example, which are in A- rank.
Mega diancie hard-walls greninja, and I wouldnt say dialga is exactly a lead. Or at least not when you see a greninja on the opposing team.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus

I don't really see this highly offensive metagame. We got a new sweeper in Mega Salamence, Latios is back hitting like a truck and Primal Groudon is substantially better as a threat than regular offensive Groudon was, but at the same time we got an amazing new Defogger (I'll consider the Latis one awesome versatile mon for this post, they have enough in common and no competitive team would run both), two playable Magic Bouncers (Diancie is actually pretty nice) and a ridiculously good blanket check in Primal Groudon (which can only check about one major threat very effectively each game, but still serves as a way to check more threats for a team with one mon than anything since Multiscale Lugia). From what I've seen, bulky offense and balance have seemed more appealing playstyles than hyper offense, and some players have used stall builds quite successfully.

EDIT: That said, less Will-o-Wisp and Landorus-T getting replaced by the Earthquake-prone Primal Groudon do favour it. A- sounds about right to me.

Last edited:
Curious: What will Game Freak have to do to nerf the offensive metagame (what I can come up with so far is assloads of defensive stats and decent or good defense/support Abilities)?

...?? Sometimes i really wonder if some of these people actually play uber.
Dialga is primarily a team supporter with its typing+SR, and not all SR users have to be leads by default unless specific offensive teams call for it. Also Mega Diancie does hard counter the Lead Greninja set due to Magic Bounce. The lead Greninja set is the most effective set it can offer for the meta, as very few leads can spinblock while laying hazards down (Froslass is the only competition, but cant lay TSpikes or change its type via Protean) and offensive Greninja sets are massively outclassed by a lot of other wallbreakers in the tier (Mewtwo, Xerneas, Rayquaza, Primal Groudon, etc all do the job a lot better and don't instantaneously die to priority). No need to call out other ppl, and actually try to correct them instead of insulting them mindlessly. Thank you.

Curious: What will Game Freak have to do to nerf the offensive metagame (what I can come up with so far is assloads of defensive stats and decent or good defense/support Abilities)?
If you are talking about the Pokemon games as a whole, not much. GF's primary focus on competitive metagames is on Doubles and VGC, and do not focus on much else. In terms of Ubers, HO has mainly declined in usage due to many factors. Hazards are easier to keep off the field with viable Magic Bounce users + Defog Latis becoming things, and since the base 100 Speed tier has started to decrease in importance (Palkia has drastically lost most of its viability, and the only other main thing that needs the base 100 Speed is Mega Kangaskhan). Because of that and other aspects of ORAS (*cough*PDon*cough), the meta has shifted in favor of bulky offense and balance. I feel that these new additions are actually helping the metagame as a whole, making HO not the dominant playstyle in important situations.

Dialga is primarily a team supporter with its typing+SR, and not all SR users have to be leads by default unless specific offensive teams call for it. Also Mega Diancie does hard counter the Lead Greninja set due to Magic Bounce. The lead Greninja set is the most effective set it can offer for the meta, as very few leads can spinblock while laying hazards down (Froslass is the only competition, but cant lay TSpikes or change its type via Protean) and offensive Greninja sets are massively outclassed by a lot of other wallbreakers in the tier (Mewtwo, Xerneas, Rayquaza, Primal Groudon, etc all do the job a lot better and don't instantaneously die to priority). No need to call out other ppl, and actually try to correct them instead of insulting them mindlessly. Thank you.

If you are talking about the Pokemon games as a whole, not much. GF's primary focus on competitive metagames is on Doubles and VGC, and do not focus on much else. In terms of Ubers, HO has mainly declined in usage due to many factors. Hazards are easier to keep off the field with viable Magic Bounce users + Defog Latis becoming things, and since the base 100 Speed tier has started to decrease in importance (Palkia has drastically lost most of its viability, and the only other main thing that needs the base 100 Speed is Mega Kangaskhan). Because of that and other aspects of ORAS (*cough*PDon*cough), the meta has shifted in favor of bulky offense and balance. I feel that these new additions are actually helping the metagame as a whole, making HO not the dominant playstyle in important situations.
Not sure how mega diance hard walls greninja when it dies to a water move, but whatever no point in arguing.

The point i was trying to make was that Greninja can not only be an effective hazard setter but also a potent offensive pokemon with some, abeit niche advantage over things such as deo a.

Nevertheless, you still cannot reasonably say that A hard walls B when B can possibly have a move to ohko A.

...?? Sometimes i really wonder if some of these people actually play uber.
I'll just leave a comma

The point i was trying to make was that Greninja can not only be an effective hazard setter but also a potent offensive pokemon with some, abequoteche advantage over things such as deo a.

Nevertheless, you still cannot reasonably say that A hard walls B when B can possibly have a move to ohko A.
Not it cannot. This mon is really weak tbf. Vs offense it can't switch in on anything at all, and it's hesitant to click hydro just because of primal don. Every priority ever wrecks it, and its actually setup bait for some things. Teams with a bulkier groudon, soul dew latias and just random slightly bulky mons give it hell. Once again, it can't switch in on anything.
Its draw as a hard lead is its ability to get up toxic spikes and prevent defog with its fast taunt. It can anti lead deo-a as well. Its essentially a frailer scolipede with taunt, but its frailness doesn't really come into play when its a hazard lead. Offensive greninja is a glass cannon without the glass part, and thus is bad (read: its useable, but if you use it you have a considerable enough disadvantage to were its unviable)

Last edited:
The point i was trying to make was that Greninja can not only be an effective hazard setter but also a potent offensive pokemon with some, abeit niche advantage over things such as deo.
i cant think of a single scenario where offensive greninja would be a better choice than deo-a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)