UU Simple Questions Thread

What do you guys think is a good set for Adaptability Dragalgae? I was thinking one of the following sets..

Drag@Choice Specs
Adaptability
248 HP/252 Sp Atk/ 8 Spd
Draco Meteor
Sludge Wave
Dragon Pulse
Shadow Ball/Focus Blast for steels liie Zong, Doublade, etc..
To be honest I like to run enough speed to outrun base 60s as I find it becomes too difficult not being able to out speed the mons that reside in that speed tier, or slightly lower at 50's. It helps to net a lot more surprise kills as often they may stay in thinking they'll move first only to eat a Draco Meteor to the face.

Last edited:
To be honest I like to run enough speed to outrun base 60s as I find it becomes too difficult not being able to out speed the mons that reside in that speed tier, or slightly lower at 50's. It helps to net a lot more surprise kills as often they may stay in thinking they'll move first only to eat a Draco Meteor to the face.
The only mons i can think of between the 50-60 range that area threat are swampy (speed jumps to 70 when mega evolve) and Machamp (commonly carries AssVest). Is there something else Im missing? I think the mixed set with Gunk Shot and LO with enough speed to outpace 0speed champ would be good. I think even an uninvested LO Gunk shot cleanly 2hko.

Quoting Dudeman from last page on this subject.

52 Speed EVs let you outrun 0 speed base 50s (Mega Aggron and Donphan, also covers Hippo)
92 Speed EVs let you outrun 0 speed base 55s (Blissey, Machamp, also covers Rhyperior, -Spe Swampert, and most Mega Abomasnow).
100 EVs let you outrun the legendary Trevenant.
132 EVs let you outrun 0 speed base 60s (Empoleon, P2, neutral Swampert, also covers 0 speed Scrafty)
172 EVs let you outrun 0 speed base 65s (Umbreon, Vaporeon, Alomomola, Chesnaught). This is the highest I would go because anything more doesn't outspeed anything really relevant.

It really depends on what you consider is the most important to your team. Outspeeding Umbreon and Vaporeon doesn't really gain you much unless you're at low enough HP where Scald/Foul Play kills, but outspeeding Swampert (before it kills you) and P2 (before it Recovers) can be pretty important so I'd go for the base 60 benchmark. However, if you want to be able to take HJKs and Flare Blitzes more easily, then you've got to sacrifice some of that speed.

Just a small nitpick; unless Sludge Wave gets a OHKO or 2HKO you wouldn't otherwise get, you should probably run Sludge Bomb for the increased poison chance (unless you are really worried about Chesnaught, though they seem to be much more uncommon these days). The mixed set is fairly underwhelming I find, as it lacks the oomph to really hammer switch ins and either wittles itself down with LO or lacks even more power with AV/Black Sludge. Specs is really interesting as a nuke, and has enough bulk to switch in multiple times. Faking a Specs set with Toxic/Draco Plate or Expert Belt might be cool too, but Specs seems to be the most effective set I've seen thus far.

Very good thanks! What do you think is a good nature for mixed drag if running speed? or is a modest specs set most viable?
I don't know if it is the most viable but like Venduria I have found most success with it. Though I have tried Assault Vest with Gunk Shot and D-Tail, luring Fairy types to their death and D-tail to screw over would be set up sweepers thinking you're set up fodder, and it has worked well think Goodra with AV but hits much harder and better typing course (though I used a Quiet nature). That said I've seen more success with SPECs because those speed creeps helped out in giving Dragalge more switch in opportunities, e.g. Donphan and Swampert, and I think its simplicity works in its favor. Plus a lot less things are capable of tanking the hit.

I don't know if it is the most viable but like Venduria I have found most success with it. Though I have tried Assault Vest with Gunk Shot and D-Tail, luring Fairy types to their death and D-tail to screw over would be set up sweepers thinking you're set up fodder, and it has worked well think Goodra with AV but hits much harder and better typing course (though I used a Quiet nature). That said I've seen more success with SPECs because those speed creeps helped out in giving Dragalge more switch in opportunities, e.g. Donphan and Swampert, and I think its simplicity works in its favor. Plus a lot less things are capable of tanking the hit.
Very good, ill try specs with the speed creep of choice.

Venduria is the higher chance of poison worth 10 less BP? Its made to tear holes, from what i gather. Sludge Wave will be easily the most powerful spammable move due to DM sp atk drop. The chance of poison is nice, but it doesnt seem like Drag is the slow death kind of mon, but more of the blowing mons away type... thats imo though...

Also, i think this has to be one of the only dragons to NOT get fire coverage...

The difference between Sludge Wave and Bomb is just 5 BP and 20% Poison chance. But the primary reason to choose wave is because of Bulletproof.

With Dragalge, it's primarily spamming STAB Poison so Toxic Plate is a viable option. Especially since both of its STABs have immune types. A great set I've seen and ran for a while is Sludge Wave, Draco Meteor, Scald, and Focus Blast/HP Fire with speed creep of choice.

The difference between Sludge Wave and Bomb is just 5 BP and 20% Poison chance. But the primary reason to choose wave is because of Bulletproof.

With Dragalge, it's primarily spamming STAB Poison so Toxic Plate is a viable option. Especially since both of its STABs have immune types. A great set I've seen and ran for a while is Sludge Wave, Draco Meteor, Scald, and Focus Blast/HP Fire with speed creep of choice.
10 BP because of adaptability so its 190 vs. 180 and 10% chance of poison vs. 20% chance.

10 BP because of adaptability so its 190 vs. 180 and 10% chance of poison vs. 20% chance.
It's actually 30% poison chance on bomb and you never include stab in bp calculations because bp means base power keyword base.

I don't think I've seen a chesnaught like, at all recently, and it's not like you won't nuke the fuck out of it with a draco anyway.

Also scald is really terrible on dragalge. It's weaker than a draco on every target that isn't a fairy or like, steelix. Shadow ball is more relevant for things like rachi and bronzong whereas focus blast hits empoleon harder. I know meowiekins likes to run sleep talk and there was some discussion of dragon pulse over a coverage move so you aren't set-up fodder after clicking your dragon button. To be honest though as long as you have draco and sludge something then you probably have an alright dragalge set.

Yeah but the miniscule BP difference is amplified because of Dragalge's STAB multiplier being greater than normal.
For example, it's the difference between a 50% chance to OHKO and 100% chance to OHKO SDef Celebi

Very good, ill try specs with the speed creep of choice.

Venduria is the higher chance of poison worth 10 less BP? Its made to tear holes, from what i gather. Sludge Wave will be easily the most powerful spammable move due to DM sp atk drop. The chance of poison is nice, but it doesnt seem like Drag is the slow death kind of mon, but more of the blowing mons away type... thats imo though...

Also, i think this has to be one of the only dragons to NOT get fire coverage...
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 220+ SpD Celebi: 412-488 (101.9 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 220+ SpD Celebi: 392-464 (97 - 114.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celebi: 384-452 (95 - 111.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chesnaught: 484-570 (127.3 - 150%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Chesnaught: 330-390 (86.8 - 102.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Chesnaught isn't an issue with Draco Meteor, and Celebi is guaranteed to fall from either poison coverage move with SR on the field. I always prefer Sludge Bomb because although you lose a little power, I do not know of any relevant Pokemon that are OHKOed by Sludge Wave and not by Sludge Bomb other than Chesnaught (who falls to Draco Meteor anyway). The increased poison chance is significant on the other hand, and can help wear down switches. I can understand not taking Sludge Bomb and would put it to personal preference, but as long as I do not discover any relevant OHKOes brought about only by Sludge Wave, Sludge Bomb is the poison coverage move for me. (sorry for the late response, just came back from a 8.5 hour work shift)

I agree with Scald being a poor move on Dragalge, I'd much rather throw Shadow Ball into the mix to hit Bronzong/Jirachi on the switch since they are so damn common. Focus Blast can hit other steels, such as M-Aggron, but is generally less useful.

non STAB Scald on a team that at least partially takes advantage of rain (especially now when rain has a new toy to play with) is still worth it, especially since many would be Dragalge switch ins are either have poor special defense, hate water, or hate burns. The most notable hard counter to Rain M Swampert and Dragalge is Ludicolo. Bronzong would be an excellent check and can even stall out rain turns but will easily be worn down

non STAB Scald on a team that at least partially takes advantage of rain (especially now when rain has a new toy to play with) is still worth it, especially since many would be Dragalge switch ins are either have poor special defense, hate water, or hate burns. The most notable hard counter to Rain M Swampert and Dragalge is Ludicolo. Bronzong would be an excellent check and can even stall out rain turns but will easily be worn down
Wait, did you just say Ludicolo is a hard counter to Dragalge? .-. I hope you just miswrote and meant Bronzong. Either way, Shadow Ball is still more useful than Scald even in Rain, since it still hits harder even with Rain up (against Bronzong anyway). Hell, if you're really hell bent on using water coverage, use Hydro Pump to at least hammer the switch in. If you're using a rain team, chances are you either have Scald on some other Pokemon anyway, or you're trying to win with a Swift Swim sweep.

How does the UU ladder compare to OU in terms of crappiness general skill level?
Not too familiar with the OU ladder right now, but I would like to think that the skill in the UU ladder is on par if not higher depending how high you are on the ladder. There are a lot more OU players than UU players so it's easier for you to ladder up and you get to play higher level matches quicker. And honestly it's the ladder, you're bound to go from playing a really well respected and known player to playing digbick123 with av blissey. Just speaking from my experience, maybe an OU player can say something too

Can confirm, I am digbick123.

In all seriousness, with a smaller playerbase, you find more skilled players faster. When you DO find that one dingus that runs Dazzling Gleam Tentacruel (please don't), you will usually find that you waited a long time and matchmaking just finally gave up and matched you with someone much lower in the ladder. Hell, sometimes you'll find yourself being the dingus.

EDIT: a word

Last edited:
Is the UU Council going to re-release a bunch of BL mons back into the tier at the same time, like they did when Volc, raptor, etc were a few weeks ago?

Is the UU Council going to re-release a bunch of BL mons back into the tier at the same time, like they did when Volc, raptor, etc were a few weeks ago?
I doubt it. The only reason they did that this time is that the release of ORAS completely screwed over all the lower tiers, so they figured why the hell not? Usually they only release one suspect from BL at a time, to make sure that they don't create a "broken checks broken" scenario.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)