Soft Resetting Guide Pokémon XY and ORAS!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I understand what you mean. If you consider taking another extra Pokémon for checking stats, you don't have any space left for the Pokémon you're going to capture. If you use a lower level Smeargle to check Speed, it'll more likely it'll faint during the battle, without the Pokémon to be caught. You want the Smeargle as high leveled as possible, so it'll survive as long as you need. But if you decide to take the extra Smeargle, you'll have 4 Pokémon in your party. The fainted sync, the Staraptor for HP and 2 Smeargles.
If you're worried about filling up your team with capture Pokemon, you could always make your Synchroniser your speed checker so it isn't dead weight at the front of your party. Gardevior is good here as it can use Thunder Wave (although Paralysis is not as potent as Sleep, I know some people actually prefer it) and can allow your Final Gambit user a safe switch in with Memento. Then you just bring a super bulky Smeargle in the back and you still have your 3 capture Pokemon... I know it's not an ideal lineup but it works better for things like Heatran that have a low speed stat. Speaking of Heatran..

Lets say I want a Quiet Heatran, for the ErupTran set. Level 50 Heatran will have 73 Speed, with Quiet nature and 0IV in Speed. To make sure Heatran really has that 73 Speed, we need a Smeargle with 74 Speed. To achieve that with Sassy nature 31IV in Speed, it needs to be level 43 with 4 EV's in Speed. It'll be dead in 2 hits.
You can't get a Pentagon Eruption Heatran, even if you could I don't know why you'd aim for Quiet. That nature is only recommended in the Strategy Dex because it's the only legal nature for Eruptran (the event was nature-locked)

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
If you're worried about filling up your team with capture Pokemon, you could always make your Synchroniser your speed checker so it isn't dead weight at the front of your party. Gardevior is good here as it can use Thunder Wave (although Paralysis is not as potent as Sleep, I know some people actually prefer it) and can allow your Final Gambit user a safe switch in with Memento. Then you just bring a super bulky Smeargle in the back and you still have your 3 capture Pokemon... I know it's not an ideal lineup but it works better for things like Heatran that have a low speed stat. Speaking of Heatran..
Yeah when I get to those, I will come up with a different plan. :) Thanks for helping out so far!

You can't get a Pentagon Eruption Heatran, even if you could I don't know why you'd aim for Quiet. That nature is only recommended in the Strategy Dex because it's the only legal nature for Eruptran (the event was nature-locked)
Didn't knew haha. Even if you can't get ErupTran in ORAS, you're missing the point here. Anyway, edited the current Smeargles to 0 Speed which'll make things easier. And besides that, I'll host a giveaway in a few days, spreading my 31/31/31/xx/31/00 Sassy Smeargle and my Final Gambit Staraptor to the people who want to give it a shot. :)

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Another thing worth considering is the use of Night Shade and Seismic Toss to determine the target legendary's HP

For most legendaries, you'll want a Lv.(Enemy target HP/2) Night Shader/STosser. If the HP stays green after one Shade/Toss, continue. Combine with an activation ability (you can even run Pressure here - just switch out after you've weakened the target) to determine Speed.

One advantage I found in using this over Final Gambit is that for Landorus and probably a few others, you can hit it, run away, land, and then soar again to rebattle it. Final Gambit forces you to reset or Max Revive.

For Lati@s, use a Lv.96 Night Shader/SToss for maximum efficiency. If it OHKOes, just rebattle it until it doesn't. If you have the patience, get a Timid Lv.96 Natu with ~21 Speed IVs or less (if you add EVs) and have it hold a power item/macho brace to also check Speed. This tackles the HP/Speed checks and Synchronize into one convenient slot. Also Natu learns Thunder Wave.

This doesn't work well against higher HP (>200 HP) targets such as Rayquaza and Giratina, however (but still viable vs Xerneas/Yveltal). You may want to consider using Pain Split (or a Lv.82 nshade/stosser vs rayquaza) to determine their HP.

Buckert

Another thing worth considering is the use of Night Shade and Seismic Toss to determine the target legendary's HP

For most legendaries, you'll want a Lv.(Enemy target HP/2) Night Shader/STosser. If the HP stays green after one Shade/Toss, continue. Combine with an activation ability (you can even run Pressure here - just switch out after you've weakened the target) to determine Speed.

One advantage I found in using this over Final Gambit is that for Landorus and probably a few others, you can hit it, run away, land, and then soar again to rebattle it. Final Gambit forces you to reset or Max Revive.

For Lati@s, use a Lv.96 Night Shader/SToss for maximum efficiency. If it OHKOes, just rebattle it until it doesn't. If you have the patience, get a Timid Lv.96 Natu with ~21 Speed IVs or less (if you add EVs) and have it hold a power item/macho brace to also check Speed. This tackles the HP/Speed checks and Synchronize into one convenient slot. Also Natu learns Thunder Wave.

This doesn't work well against higher HP (>200 HP) targets such as Rayquaza and Giratina, however (but still viable vs Xerneas/Yveltal). You may want to consider using Pain Split (or a Lv.82 nshade/stosser vs rayquaza) to determine their HP.
This is certainly something I'll consider adding, but after I'm done with Final Gambit + Smeargle. If you're using Night Shade or Seismic Toss, you need to either hit it twice, or switch to the next Pokémon which will probably receive damage. If you use Final Gambit, you can see it right away, and you'll get a free switch to Smeargle. Haven't checked the Landorus part yet so I might consider using your suggestion there.

Natu will certainly be added for the Lati@s. I've already seen Agonist posting about that, only I didn't have a clue how that should be used exactly.

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Just checked Giratina and it also reappears if you run -> land -> soar again. Presumably this also works with Palkia/Dialga and Thundurus/Tornadus

However, it doesn't appear to work grounded legendaries. Soaring -> landing on a different place -> Soaring back to Fabled Cave did not respawn Reshiram for me.

One thing to note is that you want to have the legend you are going to catch in your Pokedex, so you don't have to go through the dex entry every time you catch it.
This is an incredibly minor thing that I can't believe I haven't thought of. The time saved in the long run will be absolutely worth the small time spent trading beforehand.

Buckert

Just checked Giratina and it also reappears if you run -> land -> soar again. Presumably this also works with Palkia/Dialga and Thundurus/Tornadus

However, it doesn't appear to work grounded legendaries. Soaring -> landing on a different place -> Soaring back to Fabled Cave did not respawn Reshiram for me.
Does that save time vs. Soft Resetting?
This is an incredibly minor thing that I can't believe I haven't thought of. The time saved in the long run will be absolutely worth the small time spent trading beforehand.
Just added that to the first post. :)

Also, for the people who want to give this guide a try, I'm hosting a Giveaway with Smeargles and Staraptor. :)

Jibaku

Does that save time vs. Soft Resetting?
It absolutely does. Whenever you soft reset you need to go activate Catching O-Power every time, and the intro/title screen takes more time than simply running and landing. With the run method, your O-Power will stick to you for at least 3 encounters.

Buckert

It absolutely does. Whenever you soft reset you need to go activate Catching O-Power every time, and the intro/title screen takes more time than simply running and landing. With the run method, your O-Power will stick to you for at least 3 encounters.
That's nice! Guess that only works for the method you're using, since a Final Gambit can faint it if it doesn't have 31IV in HP. Not sure if it's too much to ask, but would you mind checking the other soaring Pokémon too? If not, I could always do that, but it'll take a bit longer. :p

Hello guys, I'm new here.
I've always played competitive only on simulators and 4fun on the actual games because I didn't want to RNG and hadn't patience or time to breed/catch the perfect 'mon.
However 6th gen games have been made to fill this gap, and breeding your flawless Pokémon is now so easy that you feel like you HAVE TO do it. XD
Same goes with stationary Pokémon with the "three-31-stats" thing, but I kinda have hard time dealing with them even now.
Offensive Pokémon are fine. When you have your Timid Mewtwo with 31 IVs in PS, Sp. Atk and Speed you are fine.
But when it comes to necessarily bulky ones like Suicune or Cresselia, it gets really, really tedious, because you DO want obviously your 31 PS, Def and Sp. Def, but ALSO the higher possible IVs in their main offensive stat and something in Speed (let's say over 20, to be low): I spent 5 hours SRing Cresselia looking for one with 31/x/31/20+/31/20+ and NEVER got one.
How many times do you guys actually SR? I'm getting mad at this Cresselia.
Would you stick with a Calm Cresselia with 31/6/31/16/31/28 or not? I really don't know what to do here. I'm scared that if I trash this I'm gonna regret it spending 5 more hours on this Pokémon.

Hello guys, I'm new here.
I've always played competitive only on simulators and 4fun on the actual games because I didn't want to RNG and hadn't patience or time to breed/catch the perfect 'mon.
However 6th gen games have been made to fill this gap, and breeding your flawless Pokémon is now so easy that you feel like you HAVE TO do it. XD
Same goes with stationary Pokémon with the "three-31-stats" thing, but I kinda have hard time dealing with them even now.
Offensive Pokémon are fine. When you have your Timid Mewtwo with 31 IVs in PS, Sp. Atk and Speed you are fine.
But when it comes to necessarily bulky ones like Suicune or Cresselia, it gets really, really tedious, because you DO want obviously your 31 PS, Def and Sp. Def, but ALSO the higher possible IVs in their main offensive stat and something in Speed (let's say over 20, to be low): I spent 5 hours SRing Cresselia looking for one with 31/x/31/20+/31/20+ and NEVER got one.
How many times do you guys actually SR? I'm getting mad at this Cresselia.
Would you stick with a Calm Cresselia with 31/6/31/16/31/28 or not? I really don't know what to do here. I'm scared that if I trash this I'm gonna regret it spending 5 more hours on this Pokémon.
How many times? As long as it takes. For some, they might hit that 5-6IV perfect nature in just a few tries, while others are still at it for over a week. As for the Cresselia, that is no good I'm sorry to say. Most won't even consider keeping something with >28 in a used stat.

Ok, now I'm just wondering how much free time do you guys have. XD
Today I spent 4 hours on bus and i kept SRing the whole time while listening to music. No one good enough to keep. ;/
The Staraptor trick is a great way to earn time, thank you so much.
A little note: while Sleep increases the catch rate more than Paralysis, I prefer Paralysis over Sleep because I can do something else (like watching TV) while throwing balls simply smashing the A button (and you skip the Rock Polish step). A little more time but a lot less attention to the battle. Obv this doesn't apply to Landorus.

Ok, now I'm just wondering how much free time do you guys have. XD
Today I spent 4 hours on bus and i kept SRing the whole time while listening to music. No one good enough to keep. ;/
The Staraptor trick is a great way to earn time, thank you so much.
A little note: while Sleep increases the catch rate more than Paralysis, I prefer Paralysis over Sleep because I can do something else (like watching TV) while throwing balls simply smashing the A button (and you skip the Rock Polish step). A little more time but a lot less attention to the battle. Obv this doesn't apply to Landorus.
If you're using a Smeargle, then you could substitute T-wave for Glare. Most people overlook that move for some reason (yeah, it has some bad distribution, but still...). Serperior and Heliolisk get it through breeding, too.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't believe that Suicune a +Speed nature in any tier (except VGC maybe?) while Kyogre definitely never runs -Speed unless you're stupid and trying to outslow Groudon leads.

Buckert

I don't believe that Suicune a +Speed nature in any tier (except VGC maybe?) while Kyogre definitely never runs -Speed unless you're stupid and trying to outslow Groudon leads.
I've got a Quiet Kyogre, am I stupid now? :( They are still useable. -Spe Raikou or +Spe Regirock would be more ridiculous than the examples you gave. Will add more mons tomorrow! Which should I do first?

Last edited:

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Also Natu learns Thunder Wave.
While true, I prefer just switching to a Smeargle for the Spore since a) it increases the capture rate, and b) that way Lati@s doesn't Psycho Shift paralysis onto your team.

Does someone know where to get a Natu with those characteristics?, no idea how to breed one with 21 IV in Speed.

Last edited:
While a Natu would be the most efficient ways to capture the Latis, I don't think the guide is saying it's obligatory since, well, nothing in Pokemon is actually obligatory. Since I'm a lazy bum and don't want to train up a timid synch Natu all the way up to level 96, I am personally going to use a timid synch to check speed, something at level 48 to check HP by ST-ing or NS-ing twice, and then a Smeargle to do the rest because, IIRC, sleep increases catch rate more than paralysis. After all, as soon as one of the conditions fail, you are going to reset anyway.

Super helpful guide though, thank you. I lost patience SR-ing the in-game Latios after two hours because the cut scenes drove me crazy, even though looking back I should've just buckled down and taken advantage of the 100% sync / capture rate. Well, 20+ more legendaries await, whee. It's nice to know that there will be other crazies SR-ing with me around the world. I also wish I downloaded more Smeargle while Pokecheck was online, but that's another story.

Buckert

Does someone know where to get a Natu with those characteristics?, no idea how to breed one with 21 IV in Speed.
While a Natu would be the most efficient ways to capture the Latis, I don't think the guide is saying it's obligatory since, well, nothing in Pokemon is actually obligatory. Since I'm a lazy bum and don't want to train up a timid synch Natu all the way up to level 96, I am personally going to use a timid synch to check speed, something at level 48 to check HP by ST-ing or NS-ing twice, and then a Smeargle to do the rest because, IIRC, sleep increases catch rate more than paralysis. After all, as soon as one of the conditions fail, you are going to reset anyway.

Super helpful guide though, thank you. I lost patience SR-ing the in-game Latios after two hours because the cut scenes drove me crazy, even though looking back I should've just buckled down and taken advantage of the 100% sync / capture rate. Well, 20+ more legendaries await, whee. It's nice to know that there will be other crazies SR-ing with me around the world. I also wish I downloaded more Smeargle while Pokecheck was online, but that's another story.
Natu van also be bred with 0IV in speed, with the right amount of EV's it will have the same speed. No calculator here now since I'm on my phone, but I am breeding one myself which I will add to my giveaway soon. :)

Sorry I don't quite understand how I should be checking the IVs for Lati@s. So at level 30, you can really tell if the stat is 30 or 31, right? Well...except for special defense, which I'm guessing because of the "somewhat vain" characteristic, is guaranteed 31. So I inputted the stats in Metalkid's calculator and it's saying next helpful level for HP is 31, but for defense it's 37, and for special attack and speed it's 51. I don't have that many rare candies up to this point, so what do I do? I also have never touched the super training haha :/

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry I don't quite understand how I should be checking the IVs for Lati@s. So at level 30, you can really tell if the stat is 30 or 31, right? Well...except for special defense, which I'm guessing because of the "somewhat vain" characteristic, is guaranteed 31. So I inputted the stats in Metalkid's calculator and it's saying next helpful level for HP is 31, but for defense it's 37, and for special attack and speed it's 51. I don't have that many rare candies up to this point, so what do I do? I also have never touched the super training haha :/
I posted some info on how to determine Lati@s' stats at level 30 on the previous page (I've quoted myself so you don't have to look). It requires entering the level 30 stats several times with different levels of EVs which you will need Super Training for to make it easiest. If you don't want to use it or don't have money for Vitamins / spare Rare Candies then you're basically stuck with having to battle against Pokemon to gain EVs. I'm sorry to say but if you were planning to take on the task of SRing it then you should have been more prepared..

You can still use MetalKid's calculator and just use Vitamins / Super Training to determine the IVs without levelling. Enter the stats into the first line on the calculator with the level set to 30. Then give Lati@s / Legendary Pokemon 12 EVs in every stat, enter the new level 30 stats on the next row down also set to level 30 and include the 12 EVs you just gave the Lati@s / whatever. Repeat adding 12 EVs to every stat and entering the new level 30 data below the last one you did until you get a definitive answer for each IV value, then wipe the EVs with a Reset Bag and you have a completely untouched Pokemon (that holds a lot more trade value) that you know the exact IVs of. You may need to enter more than 5 lines of data so just add more by changing the value in the 'Number of Rows' box. As for applying EVs; Super Training is free but can be tedious (easy if you've got access to level 3 training already), Vitamins are expensive but easy / fast so if you're rolling in cash I would go Vitamins...

edit: added a screenshot of how I did it with my Latias because I felt like my description sucks. I stopped training every stat after 48 because everything was defined except SpD so I added 4 to it a couple of times to determine it

So basically, enter its stats, apply a bunch of EVs and enter those stats next, repeat until the calculator gives you a definitive answer :)

Buckert

Just thought I'd mention that I didn't see the mention of the capture power lvl 3 o-power anywhere, which is useful in catching pokemon with a capture rate of 3, and also that turning off attack animations helps expedite the SRing process.
Thanks, I thought someone mentioned the O-Power before, haven't added that yet. I have no clue how the O-Powers work exactly since I just couldn't be bothered, but I will check it out and add it to the guide!

Will edit the Lati@s part today, hope I can add some other Pokémon too.

Edit:
Not sure if you're seeing this quote since I edited my post, but phoenixflame95 you could fly to the Battle Resort and enter the Pokécenter there, in the top right corner is a guy who can tell you which IV's are 31. If you haven't reached that part in the story yet, I really urge you to finish the story first. It saves a lot of time if the IV calc doesn't give enough info. It also saves time since you don't have to do Super Training.

Last edited:
Thanks, I thought someone mentioned the O-Power before, haven't added that yet. I have no clue how the O-Powers work exactly since I just couldn't be bothered, but I will check it out and add it to the guide!

Will edit the Lati@s part today, hope I can add some other Pokémon too.

Edit:

Not sure if you're seeing this quote since I edited my post, but phoenixflame95 you could fly to the Battle Resort and enter the Pokécenter there, in the top right corner is a guy who can tell you which IV's are 31. If you haven't reached that part in the story yet, I really urge you to finish the story first. It saves a lot of time if the IV calc doesn't give enough info. It also saves time since you don't have to do Super Training.
Well you can't quite do that if its the one the game gives you. You'd be very, very far from getting to the Battle Resort, and the game auto-saves when you enter the Hall of Fame at least the first time.

Buckert

Added 3 more just now! Almost at 50% now. :)

Well you can't quite do that if its the one the game gives you. You'd be very, very far from getting to the Battle Resort, and the game auto-saves when you enter the Hall of Fame at least the first time.
That's not what this guide is about, since you receive it so you don't have to capture it. The only thing you need to do is have a sync and try to get lucky. This guide is about checking HP and Speed in battle, so you can capture the legendary Pokémon in a fancy ball.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)