The Everything Minor League (NCAA) Football Thread : 2014-2015

Riley is a pretty decent coach, I'll give him that. But I just wonder if he really is an upgrade or even on the same level as Pelini. It's not like he's done amazing things at Oregon State.
Oregon State doesn't have nearly the resources Nebraska has, either...

So I hate to get off of what you guys were discussing, but I just wanted to say that the whole situation at UAB makes me sick. Those players play so hard to get bowl eligible, and they're rewarded with their program being shut down. As someone who lives in the state of Alabama, and has attended a few UAB games over the years, it's a real shame to see that program fade just because Ray Watts is more interested in kissing Paul Bryant Jr.'s ass then he is about the well being of his university. The university of Alabama should be ashamed of their leadership. And I'm certainly glad I chose to attend Troy over UAB right now.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
#5 Ohio blows out Wisconsin, while #4 Florida State sneaks by Georgia Tech.

Does the CFP committee go completely mad and do it?

Absolutely not, they risk losing all credibility if OSU somehow gets blown out in the semis.

OSU jumping over TCU (and Baylor), though, is at least a possibility. if the committee is truly committed to conference championships, a 12-1 team with a similar # of quality wins (TCU has K-State and somewhat Oklahoma/West Virginia, Baylor has TCU and K-State, while OSU has Mich St., Wisconsin, and somewhat Minnesota) should get priority over either 11-1 team that only claimed half of the Big-12 title.

My gut says they stick with TCU, and thanks to the controversy over FSU (that none of those teams will jump FSU, but they might jump TCU) FSU will be bumped up to #3.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Yeah, I think they stick with TCU but if OSU gets in it's going to be over them. Bama and Oregon are who they are. FSU is... still the undefeated, depending national champion. Leaving them out is nuts no matter how good you think they are, they're earned it on the field. So then the question is how much does the committee value OSU humiliating Wisconsin and penalize TCU (and Baylor) for the Big 12's co-champion BS? I just don't think TCU is going to get dropped like that, after the committee has already shown how much they love them by moving them up over FSU in the first place, and OSU still has by far the worst loss on the table.

Baylor's done because they're absolutely not jumping OSU after that curbstomp. If they get put over TCU, after beating a good KState to bolster their résumé enough that the H2H win starts to matter, it's because TCU will be dropped.

Or, OR, the committee can say "fuck all of you" and puts Boise State at #4. =D

Realistically, I don't think Baylor/TCU should be snubbed because of the lack of a title game. Not their fault the Big 12 commissioner is a tool.

Bama, Oregon, FSU, and....Ohio St. Baylor and TCU first 2 out. This seems to have Bama-Oregon NC game written all over it, but what are your thoughts?

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Right call from CFP IMO. While I still don't think FSU is a top 4 team, they went undefeated. They deserve a shot to defend their title. Meanwhile, both Big XII teams have one fewer conference win than the other teams in consideration and the conference tried to bullshit their way into getting both Baylor and TCU in. Want to get in the playoff? Grow up and pick a conference champion. If you have two champions, you really have zero. End of story.

Baylor had no business jumping TCU in the standings though. TCU did nothing that made them deserve falling three spots in the standings. If the CFP committee had them at #3 up until this week, there is no case to say that Florida State, Baylor, and Ohio State all deserved to jump TCU just because TCU played the weakest opponent last week. Indefensible move from the committee IMO.

The rankings shouldn't be viewed week-to-week. If the only reason TCU was ranked ahead of Ohio State and Baylor was because TCU had a stronger strength of schedule/victory (they played 1 more "good opponent" than FSU/OSU/Baylor), and all three of those teams played and beat a good opponent, then there's no reason TCU should still be ranked ahead of those three teams unless they deserved it for another reason. And maybe they might have; I still think picking the team with an extra quality win is the right move.

The Big 12 probably won't have to worry about this for long, though, I can't imagine they spend much time trying to find an 11th and 12th team in order to get a conference championship of their own, and then they won't have to worry about shit like this anymore.

Holy cow these bowls:

Georgia Tech vs. Mississippi State
TCU vs. Ole Miss
Arizona vs. Boise State
Baylor vs. Michigan State

When will people hop off Ohio State's nuts. This bullshit got me hot. Alabama is gonna get to the championship game, easy.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
When will people hop off Ohio State's nuts. This bullshit got me hot. Alabama is gonna get to the championship game, easy.
OSU could provide a scare, considering they can shut down MELVIN GORDON and their offense doesn't need an experienced qb to blow a team's nutsack off.

OSU could provide a scare, considering they can shut down MELVIN GORDON and their offense doesn't need an experienced qb to blow a team's nutsack off.
Yea, but Alabama is more of a complete team than Wisconsin. They're just a whole new animal.

Marcus Mariota takes home the Heisman Trophy. I can't really complain, he has had a great season with insane stats. On top of that, he led his team to a playoff spot. Well deserved.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
holy fuck texas got dunked today. One guy had 5 carries for -32 yards, and their only td of the game rushing. They also had a 5 drive stretch from their last drive of the first half through their first drive of the fourth quarter where they lost yardage on every single drive

I really wish i had watched this game...

ALSO why is the sec so fucking good... arkansas was 2-6 in sec play, 5-0 outside of it, including this game.

EDIT: in the quest for a worse offensive performance, i found mississippi state vs ole miss from 2008. http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/drivechart?gameId=283330145

MSST punted for 18.5x as many yards as they gained, had -51 rush yards and this was their drive summary:

Last edited:

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Arkansas was the best 6-6 team in the nation hands down. They lost to alabama by 1 and 3 other sec teams by only 7, and shut out two top opponents in their conference schedule. Anybody doubting SEC west potency is shutting their faces right now seeing as the teams that have played so far have been lights out. A&M, with a backup qb, beat one of the big 12s better teams in WVU.

Texas, until that garbage time drive late in the 4th, had been held to 29 offensive yards, which would have been their lowest in a game ever. They ended up with 59 yards ultimately, only 9 more than their lowest yardage output in Texas history. I was pissed. Ultimate bragging rights missed out on.

Now can we stop propagating this bullshit that the SEC is a "top-heavy conference"? (Looking at you Bob Stoops)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)