Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)

Do you approve of J.J Abrams directing the movie?

• Yes

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm sure a lot of people are really excited for the new Star Wars film so here's a thread to discuss it. This thread at this point in time will be mostly speculation or teaser analysis. Or how J.J Abrams will be as a director. I will edit this later to attach the teaser video in case anyone missed it.
To get the ball rolling, what kind of role do you guys think Luke,Leia,and Han Solo will have?
EDIT: Here's the official teaser if you haven't seen it:
EDIT2: Here's the second trailer:
EDIT3:
Here's the final trailer

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

Here's hoping. I don't like how Disney have ignored all the EU stuff which has been written about. I'm saying the Death Star exploding at the Battle Of Yavin tore a whole in space time. Events unfolded from there on two time lines... Disney and Ex-EU.

Kinda confused about some of the things they showed in the trailer... Hopefully Disney won't fuck it up and make it a U or something... We need people being shot/exploding etc.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Guys, might as well ask this here. I have the entire Star Wars Collection, but I have never ever watched it, nor am I familiar with the lore (apart from the Luke I'm your father/ Nooooooooooooooo, and similar meme and pop culture shit)

So do I like just watch the whole thing chronologically?

Hi Guys, might as well ask this here. I have the entire Star Wars Collection, but I have never ever watched it, nor am I familiar with the lore (apart from the Luke I'm your father/ Nooooooooooooooo, and similar meme and pop culture shit)

Watch in the order they came out. 4-6 then 1-3. It makes more sense and you get to see the best first.

You should watch 4-6 first because they're undeniably the best. Tbh you should skip the prequels because they're kinda meh
EDIT: You CAN watch 1 - 3 first I guess but they're not that great. Only thing going for them is telling the backstory/lore and the CGI but the movies are kinda mediocre

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE

IV, V, I, II, III, and VI

Also, fuck JJ Abrams I've never been a fan. He makes exciting stuff, but I'm not sure Star Wars operated too much on the "exciting" level.

I like what I've seen so far. Generally an Abrams fan, and he gets brownie points for being a Star Wars fan (don't let the Trek directing fool you, he even stated in those interviews he was our guy). At the very least he can't do worse than the Lucas-directed prequels, which kinda shows while Lucas has good ideas, he sucks at directing.

I dislike how Disney has completely ignored EU as well. I'd change it to being an alternate universe just so the stuff remains semi-relevant for people who want to follow it, I mean you're talking many years worth of good book material that kept us going and kept it from being irrelevant.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
ALSO ITT: Nerds reconciling with the fact that they've grown up reading legal fan-fiction.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Here's hoping. I don't like how Disney have ignored all the EU stuff which has been written about. I'm saying the Death Star exploding at the Battle Of Yavin tore a whole in space time. Events unfolded from there on two time lines... Disney and Ex-EU.

Kinda confused about some of the things they showed in the trailer... Hopefully Disney won't fuck it up and make it a U or something... We need people being shot/exploding etc.
Caring too much about what some dumb book says is part of what ruined the prequels.

4-5-6. Done

Some EU stuff might become official, obviously not things like Thrawn Trilogy and New Jedi Order, but the Old Republic era might not be touched for example. The timeline is long and afaik Disney said some of the newly branded "Legends" might be true. So not all hope is lost.

Depends, they rob and use what they want. For example, the new Disney Star Wars cartoon apparently has a sith inquisitor running about between what would be episodes 3-4, and those crappy tv shows are canon I believe, with sith inquisitors being more of a eu thing. We also had darth maul rezzed and given robot legs, which originated in a dream in a comic story iirc. So yeah, if it fits them, they steal eu concepts and characters and make it their own. Or rewrite as they want, such as Boba Fett's origins.

Actually, it wasn't Disney's idea. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe George Lucas was the one that decided the canon. And not everything about it was ignored. Some of the books were left canon but most of them aren't. Star Wars the Force Unleashed is also canon I believe.

Yes, the movies, TV shows, The Force Unleashed, and the newly released books are the only official canon as of now. For everything else we just have to wait and see if they disregard it in the future.

Also Shinryu hey, The Clone Wars rule... :(

Yes, the movies, TV shows, The Force Unleashed, and the newly released books are the only official canon as of now. For everything else we just have to wait and see if they disregard it in the future.

Also Shinryu hey, The Clone Wars rule... :(
Depends which one we're talking about I guess...

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
What's your source on TFU being part of the new canon? Everything I've read says that's not the case. (Not that I'm complaining - getting rid of that was one of maybe three good things to come out of the abomination that was the EU canon-wipe IMO.)

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Looks like the names of the trailer characters were revealed today.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12...s-revealed-bb-8-poe-dameron-finn-rey-kylo-ren

No big deal really, but I think the big thing is that the cloaked fellow with the red lightsaber is a new character named Kylo Ren and not Luke turned Sith like some people were speculating. In fact, he has a last name and no Darth so I'm wondering if he even considers himself a Sith despite his design heavily implying it.

Meanwhile, it's hard not to notice the lack of a last name listed for Rey or Finn. Does that mean neither of them has a last name or it's simply being kept from us for the time being?
So... Calrissian or Windu? :^)

Also, gotta say I like the idea of 4-5-1-2-3-6. Especially after watching that reaction video.

Although:
Name as many things as you can that happen in Episode I and actually help flesh out the story in any subsequent episode.
No virgin birth. We simply don't know or care who Anakin's father is, and the subtle implication that it's Palpatine is gone.
-It's Palpatine
-Palpatine is introduced, and the creeping threat is better exemplified over 3 episodes
-Anakin was a slaved and abused child that grew into that "unrelatable" emotionally damaged and misbehaved teen
-It's Palpatine

Criticize the prequels as films as you will, but saying nothing happens in them is denying reality on an absurd level. I'll leave you all with this:

Last edited:
Well since the old Sith died with Sidious and Vader, we can only assume guys like the new lightsaber fellow didn't really follow their traditions. (not to mention Bane's rule of two might not even exist etc.)

Speaking of prequels, the fall of the Old Jedi Order is presented pretty well if you look into it a bit. The story is not as shallow as some might think it is.

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

(there are spoilers in this so you might not actually want to read the article, but it suggests you view the series as IV, V, II, III, VI, and simply skip I as it contributes almost nothing to the series as a whole)

However, IV, V, VI, I, II, III and IV, V, I, II, III, VI are the two best viewing orders if you are not willing to skip the first movie. Note that I have not actually attempted to watch the series in machete order, but I plan on doing so soon.

Episode I has quite a number of character introductions, if you skip it on the first viewing you might be confused later on (yea it does only have 1 plot related event but still). I'm personally against skipping PM, even though I haven't tried these viewing orders yet.

The Prequel has a lot of cool moments, but overal they're not great becuase they tried too hard to explain everything.

Remember the force cells that allow you to use space magic?

Still Episode 3 is pretty alright. It's obivously the forth best movie.

It is surprising how ignorant people are about sith namings, just because Kylo Ren doesn't have "Darth" yet doesn't mean anything. Do you remember Darth Anakin Skywalker? No, it's Darth Vader, the master gives the apprentice their "sith" name or title or whatever you want to call it. Same way Palpatine is Darth Sidious, not Darth Palpatine.

For what it's worth, if they want to steal from EU for new movie lore, there is a lost tribe of Sith out there. The night sisters of dathomire use sith magic. Hell there are plenty of dark Jedi and varying other practitioners out there, regardless if the sith lineage started by Bane ended. Or there's always the secret apprentice, not every sith has held to Bane's rule and varying ones before Bane have trained second apprentices if they feel the first will fail.

Also I thought Plageius and Sidious worked to manipulate the midiclorians that eventually resulted in Anakin as a virgin birth.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)