Other ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread - Check post #2359

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of ninja counters, one thing I've been experimenting with recently is umbreon. It's not really relevant to A and A- discussion, but it has a few interesting niches in this metagame. Sychronize allows it to get a rare toxic off on mega Sableye while resisting any and all of its relevant attacks and it counters Greninja with it's solid bulk and lack of weakness to anything Greninja runs. It's not exactly the greatest Pokemon to grace the earth, but it does have a few other niche uses as a cleric. I'd say Umbreon is D worthy while Sableye and Greninja are major threats.
Everything that counters Greninja cannot deal enough damage on its own to be viable on offense. Porygon2 has just barely enough Sp. Attack - Greninja has 103, but it gets to hold a Life Orb, unlike Porygon2 which needs the Eviolite or else it really isn't good. RestTalk Gyarados gets walled by pretty much anything that resists water, and Umbreon can't do anything back to Greninja.

4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon: 149-177 (37.8 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Its Foul Play has a 90% chance of 4HKOing it, which is nowhere near good enough. In fact, that's bad. Greninja's Gunk Shot makes it immune to Toxic, so when poison-type, Umbreon gets walled and worn down fast. Umbreon also isn't the best cleric just because it's weak to fighting and fairy, which are pretty common. Conk, Gallade, the rare Medicham, any kind of fighting priority, and then there's Alt, Diancie, Clef, and Sylveon to ruin its day as well. It'd be one thing if it were simply weak to the types and nothing else, but on top of it Umb can't really do much back to any of those bar Gallade and Medicham. It handles fightings better than fairies (it still doesn't handle fightings well period), which it can't handle at all. I'd say it's low D rank as well.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As a defensive pivot yes jirachi is overshadowed by rotom w and ferrothorn however I feel you are discounting and underrating jirachis versatility which is why it should be A rank. Jirachi's choice scarf set is still very effective at checking fairies and revenging certain sweepers depending on which elemental punch you use, is ice punch for dnite, thunder for gyarados, fire for scizor while having excellent utility in trick to screw stall and healing wish to allow you to play more recklessly with your mons. The e-belt set famous in previous gens is still effective in luring mons like gliscor, lando-t, heatran and ferothorn. For the effectiveness offensive sets and strong support and defensive sets jirachi should go to A rank.
I'm not really discounting Jirachi's versatility so much as its versatility isn't really enough to push it up to A Rank. Having personal experience with Scarf Jirachi, I can attest to the fact that it isn't exactly the most effective set in the universe... I don't see how Trick screws stall when the most common stall Megas (Sableye and Slowbro) switch into it rather easily. The advantages Jirachi boasts as a Choice Scarf user are typing, which lets it serve as somewhat of a glue to check a couple threats like Latios, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Sceptile; U-turn; and Healing Wish. These traits are enough to make it viable, but as a Scarf user it loses a lot of value due to its reliance on hax (flinches) to deal with quite a few threats, limited coverage, ease in being checked (common Pokemon like Landorus-T, Heatran, Keldeo, Rotom-W, Metagross, Bisharp, etc), and inability to revenge kill the majority of sweepers. Even with its unique traits, it's difficult to justify Jirachi being used over a more competent Scarf revenge killer such as Landorus-T, Keldeo, or Latios for these reasons. The EBelt lure set certainly has a unique niche and works well in theory, but in practice it is often easily worn down and can be checked or even walled (if the moveset is scouted properly) with little effort.

My opinion on the Pokemon in A- rank:

Diggersby stays in A-
Jirachi stays in A-
Kyurem-B to B+
Magnezone stays in A-
Manaphy stays in A-
Mega Sableye to A+
Mega Sceptile stays in A-
Tyranitar stays in A-
Mega Tyranitar to B

I wouldn't mind discussion on Mega Aerodactyl or Politoed since I can't decide on their ranking position. Mega Aerodactyl was hyped up in early ORAS as a Mega Salamence check and Politoed should theoretically still be common as rain is still a dangerous playstyle and the introduction of Mega Swampert adds another abuser that is difficult to wall for offensive teams, but it's uncommon from what I've seen, at least on the ladder.

Diggersby, Jirachi, Magnezone, Mega Sceptile, and Tyranitar should stay in A- rank, Diggersby has new tools added to its movepool to help the stall matchup, Jirachi has a number of qualities going for it including walling Mega Sceptile, Mega Altaria, and Mega Gardevoir, and AM brings up good points, though I agree with ben in that it feels sort of overshadowed by Mega Metagross in some of its roles. Magnezone's role hasn't changed; it has more Pokemon to support such as Mega Beedrill, which is good, but this doesn't change its ranking. Mega Sceptile has been talked about in the thread, with Mega Manectric in A ranking Mega Sceptile fits nicely in A-, and Tyranitar still provides sand for the typical sand offense team.

Manaphy should stay in A- in my opinion. It is incredibly effective at beating stall teams with Mega Sableye or Mega Slowbro which is a valuable niche, but it's quite dead weight against offensive teams, often being able to get one attack off at the cost of being 2HKOed in the process. Unlike other stallbreakers like Mega Gardevoir, its lack of usefulness against offensive teams hinders it, compared to say, Mega Gardevoir which has much higher offensive presence allowing it to actually threaten teams unboosted.

Mega Sableye has been explained countless times throughout the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Mega Aerodactyl fares pretty well among the new megas. It notably checks Mega Sceptile by forcing it out with Aerial Ace or downright killing it. Any of its attacks can kill Mega Beedrill, so it can check that as well (not much of an achievement due to literally no bulk whatsoever). It gets walled by Mega Slowbro, it 3HKOs mega sable, does pretty decent damage to swamp, kills mega sharp via aerial ace, kills camel with aqua tail, 2HKos alt with stone edge, walled by meta, beats megalop and gallade, and then kills diance with aqua tail.

Many of those megas, it can take care of. But the thing has really underwhelming attack for a mega. Gallade is 165, Medicham's higher, zard x and alt have ways to boost their stats...I'm aware none of these are the same type as aero, but I think the only thing aero has over them is coverage. Between rock / water / fire / flying it screws up a lot of the new threats, but none of its attacks are particularly powerful except STAB stone edge. Drop to B+ but no lower than that imo.​

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Politoed should stay A-. Rain is a very underrated and extremely efficient style of play and new meta game changes hasnt changed to make it less viable imo. Its the most important element of rain and I think the lack of rain on ladder isnt a factor in its viability when it has been fantastic in tournaments both official and those in rooms such as OU.

Im interested in m-aero as well because I think its capabilities are a bit exaggerated after using it some but like trc Im curious what everyones take on maero is.

Mr. Hothead

formerly Salt2DaFeds
Uuh Mega Aerodactyl deserves to go to A just for being such a great revenge killer.

With the new megas introduced, there are few that stop MAerodactyl. In fact, id say hes one of the most improved Megas that came from XY. He fits everything in the Offensive ORAS meta: Fast and a hard hitter. Sure, he has a meh Flying STAB, but he also has Tough Claws and 135 base attack. He also outspeeds every unboosted mega in ORAS, a huge advantage. He also has all of the Elemental Fangs, Roost, EQ, Stone Edge, Taunt, Stealth Rock, etc. and he can fill roles like an SR setter, All Out Attacker and Stallbreaker. This guy has so many threatening sets that its nothing to fuck with.

He just fits into the meta pretty well. He works much better on HO and Balanced. He hits hard, even with his meh movepool. Overall this guy got much better in ORAS meta, taking out almost everything with its great coverage and outspeeding all of the ORAS meta. IMO this should stay in A- or be A.

I wouldn't mind discussion on Mega Aerodactyl or Politoed since I can't decide on their ranking position. Mega Aerodactyl was hyped up in early ORAS as a Mega Salamence check and Politoed should theoretically still be common as rain is still a dangerous playstyle and the introduction of Mega Swampert adds another abuser that is difficult to wall for offensive teams, but it's uncommon from what I've seen, at least on the ladder.
I think regarding Politoed, it should probably remain A-, since on the whole I view Politoed's ranking as an assessment of Rain's viability. I think it's also worth noting that Rain has another toy to play with, albeit not as obvious or effective as Mega Swampert, in the form of Mega Sceptile, who provides the team with an Electric immunity (which was the crux of Thundurus-T being ranked where it was), 4x Resistance for enemy Grass and Water moves, and has a speed comparable to the Swift Swimmers even without the Rain to back it.

Additionally, Sceptile w/ HP Rock can deal with opposing weather setters, even if weather wars are obviously not as big anymore, whereas Swampert really can't hit Zard-Y, who if not more common is still considered more viable.
252 SpA Mega Sceptile Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 252-300 (84.8 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Sceptile Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 376-444 (93.3 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Eliminating the main obstacles to keeping the already short lived rain up seems like a nice asset, though it would cost him speed ties against opposing Mega Sceptile, if that's important. Ice moves also aren't thrown at a Rain team quite as often since they naturally will always have at least one good switch in.

As far as Mega Sceptile though, I think he's strongly in A- regardless of Politoed: Sceptile is a cleaner/anti-offense sweeper that works well under the rain playstyle as well, whereas Swampert is Rain's best asset, but only "okay" without it.

As for Mega Aerodactyl, I want to see more, but would be fine with him in A- for now barring some big shift in the game. It matches up pretty decently against a number of high tier threats
(All the following default to Jolly, given some of the other fast threats introduced. Moveset is the default on the calc w/ Stone Edge, Fire Fang, Aqua Tail, Aerial Ace in case I miss a coverage move option)
- Checks Greninja, Adamant can OHKO w/ Stone Edge after a round of LO (Jolly sometimes needs 2), and can switch into any move bar Ice Beam even w/ SR on the field and survive comfortably.
- Counters Adamant Bulky DD Zard-X (Outspeeds even at +1), while checking Offensive DD (won't outspeed at +1, but doesn't need any prior damage to OHKO)
- Checks Mega Gallade (CC has a chance to OHKO unboosted)
- Checks Mega Diancie w/out a Rock Polish Boost (though Diamond Storm OHKO's)
- Checks Mega Sceptile

And as I noted, this is without considering the unlisted coverage options like Ice Fang (Garchomp, Lando-I) or Earthquake (Heatran, Magnezone). Then there's just the number of threats it can revenge kill, it's speed and cleaning ability, and of course its role as a Bird Spam check, which is still important even with Mence gone. Mega Aerodactyl is kind of odd to describe, but the best answer I have is that he's a "soft" answer to a lot of important threats in the meta game: You can't use him as a dedicated answer to all the above threats, but if your main answer needs to be saved for later, or you just need an emergency back up, Aerodactyl performs nicely without compromising his effectiveness.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mega Aerodactyl's flaws that prevent it from being an A rank threat are lack of spammable strong STABs, which leave it relying on coverage moves to hit checks on the switch far too often, SR weakness, big competition with MEvos that have similar roles, such as Mega Lopunny and Mega Sceptile, and a big weakness to priority, which somewhat offsets its amazing Speed. Imo, it's mostly on par with Mega Sceptile, providing a very fast MEvo able to revenge kill most offensive threats, check some key Pokemon (Electric- and Water-types for Sceptile, and Flying- and Fire-types for Aerodactyl), and having great coverage to cover most offensive Pokemon and even some semi-bulky ones, but struggles against fat walls and is not that easy to bring in due to frailty and / or many relevant weaknesses.

Rain teams are as good as always, so Politoed should stay in A-. If anything, they got slightly better thanks to the addition of Mega Swampert, which provides lots of defensive utility and helps check Pokemon that rain teams typically struggle against.

Update time:

Mega Altaria: A ---> A+
Dragonite: A ---> B+
Gliscor: A ---> A-
Mega Gyarados: A ---> A+
Mega Heracross: A ---> A-
Mega Lopunny: A ---> A+
Mamoswine: A ---> A-
Mega Medicham: A ---> C+
Mew: A ---> B+
Mega Slowbro: A ---> A+
Terrakion: A ---> A-
Kyurem-B: A- ---> B+
Mega Sableye: A- ---> A+
Mega Tyranitar: A- ---> B

If you are curious and want to know why any of those changes happened, we are happy to answer, though i think all of them have been discussed, which is why i am not posting any explanation.

Let's start discussing about the Pokemon that reside in B+ and B ranks now.

Last edited:
I might've missed it, but why exactly did Kyurem-B drop? While some new megas threated it, Kyurem-B is a mega-less wallbreaker which is a great niche since the mega slot is now contested on teams and Kyurem-B has decent matchups with the new megas.

I might've missed it, but why exactly did Kyurem-B drop? While some new megas threated it, Kyurem-B is a mega-less wallbreaker which is a great niche since the mega slot is now contested on teams and Kyurem-B has decent matchups with the new megas.
Kyub loses to like all of the good new Megas lol. Meta, Diancie, Lopunny, Gallade, Sceptile, Lati@s all outspeed with SE STAB, Mega Bro and Mega Sableye wall it, Altaria can probably survive Iron Head and definitely OHKOs in return, Swampert maybe (?) wins 1v1 even without rain

Kyub loses to like all of the good new Megas lol. Meta, Diancie, Lopunny, Gallade, Sceptile, Lati@s all outspeed with SE STAB, Mega Bro and Mega Sableye wall it, Altaria can probably survive Iron Head and definitely OHKOs in return, Swampert maybe (?) wins 1v1 even without rain
Mega Altaria is still weak to Kyurem-B's Ice Beam, and bulkier sets fail to guarantee an OHKO

0 Atk Pixilate Altaria Return vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-B: 344-408 (87.9 - 104.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Altaria: 351-413 (99.4 - 116.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

LO Kyurem-B actually 2HKOs an unboosted Mega Sableye with Ice Beam:

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 164-192 (53.9 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It should be noted that Iron Defense + Calm Mind Mega Bro is 2HKOd by Kyurem-B's FUsion BOlt after Stealth Rock, though if KyuB wants to beat Physical Mega Bro, it will need 1 layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock to 2HKO with either Earth Power or Fusion Bolt. Against everything else though, Kyurem-B will probably flat-out lose, as they all have Super Effective STABs and outspeed (Mega Swampert does at least 90% with Low Kick as well).

I agree that Kyurem-B deserved to drop, its speed really hurts it, but you should probably calc before making these assumptions that certain Pokemon supposedly wall it, when in reality, they do not.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Kyurem-B would default to Ice Beam for Altaria, cause STAB and stuff. The Sub set also prevents them from checking it immediately since it still hits really hard and can OHKO Diancie and Sceptile.
252+ SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 210-248 (87.1 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Sceptile: 348-410 (123.8 - 145.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The Sub set can also do about 65% to Mega Metagross and stop it from KOing back (assuming Sub is up as Metagross switches in).

252+ SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Metagross: 188-222 (62.4 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I still agree with the drop, just wanted to point that stuff out.

To the person who talked about Umbreon; don't. Mono-Dark is a bad defensive typing (Dark resist doesn't matter when Bisharp, Crawdaunt, and Tyranitar still beat you; Psychic immunity doesn't stop Lati@s from dropping Dracos; Gengar is the only relevant Ghost and it likes to run Taunt and Focus Blast), it's super passive, plus it has unreliable recovery.

There are three ways to play Kyu-B:
1/ Scarf Kyu-B is a very good revenge killer with good coverage and mega-like stats. Being faster than scarf lando and ohkoing obviously is really good right now.

2/Sub+3 attacks. Sub against something you threaten or can hardly damage you (hi rotom-w) and start wreaking havoc.

3/LO all out attacker with para support from things like Jirachi (beautiful synergy resisting rock, fairy, steel, dragon and neutral to fighting) or web -but I advise against it.

All of those are quite good on a balanced team. For speed the most important tiers are 70-91 and 105-111. He outspeeds 91 (lando-t) and that's already very good.

Last edited:
Since we are in the Bs does anyone know if Mandibuzz is still near b rank worthy? Its been awhile since I last saw one and just curious if anyone has an idea on it.

Karxrida

Since we are in the Bs does anyone know if Mandibuzz is still near b rank worthy? Its been awhile since I last saw one and just curious if anyone has an idea on it.
It has great bulk (better than Skarmory's!) and can actually threaten shit with Knock Off and Foul Play, but the lack of resists + SR weakness really hurts it. It's definitely still viable, but I honestly don't know how much.

Idk about B+ Dragonite. A lot of argumuents go like: "you can kill at after breaking multiscale" but the entire point of dragonite is to clear rocks and protect multi scale for the purpose of a free dragon dance.

Eh, maybe that's more work than it's worth though.

Nominating Mega Swampert: B+ ----->>> A
This seems like a bit of a big move, but mega swampert is a huge threat. It may not be "a" as such, but may be A-. In rain it outspend all unboosted pokemon with only 156 speed evs. This allows it to run adamant, giving it extra power. It can set its own rain, and beats MSceptile 1v1 if Sceptile switches in on the rain dance. Water/Ground is great defensive typing, with a weakness only to grass, which can be eliminated through ice punch. It may take up a mega slot, but it is incredibly good in rain. Not only does it have the immunity to electric that rain teams lack, but it can hit electric types super effectively. It packs fantastic coverage with superpower, and is in general a really hard pokemon to stop. It is a lot better than a lot of the pokemon in B+. Maybe not all the way to A, but at least A-

Karxrida

Idk about B+ Dragonite. A lot of argumuents go like: "you can kill at after breaking multiscale" but the entire point of dragonite is to clear rocks and protect multi scale for the purpose of a free dragon dance.

Eh, maybe that's more work than it's worth though.
It's mainly due to the CB Set being less effective in ORAS. You can't revenge Mega Metagross or Mega Diancie with Extreme Speed, Outrage is easier to punish, and we have more things that don't really care about Outrage like Altaria.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Kyurem-B dropped to B+ because of the increased competition for a Dragon-type due to the introduction of two new Dragon-types, Mega Sceptile and Mega Altaria, and its inability to check Greninja effectively anymore, which can now get past Kyu-B with Low Kick. And remember, being a solid check to Greninja was one of the main reasons that Kyurem-B was kept in A- at the end of the XY metagame.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Some changes I wanna see:

Celebi: B+ -> A-/A: Im leaning towards A-, but either way Celebi should move up. its one of the few mons that can reliably take on rain teams, which are a very real threat to many of the offensive and balance builds currently running around in ORAS. Additionally, Celebi is a reliable check to things such as Keldeo, Electric types, Breloom, (Mega) Slowbro, and Azumarill, which allows him to act as a great glue to many defensive and BO teams. Additionally, Celebi has access to many great support moves, such as Baton Pass, Stealth Rock, U-Turn, Heal Bell, Thunder Wave, and Nasty Plot. NP + BP is also a really good set that can turn any special attacker into a scary threat, and the amount of mons that Celebi can set up on is a decent amount. Compared to other B+ mons, Celebi is way better. Move him up pls.

Mega Swampert: B+ -> A-: Rain is terrifying right now. And the reason because of this is that many teams simply arent prepared for it. Mega Swampert is what makes Rain such a threat, as it has actual bulk + an immunity to Thunder Wave, as well as a good base 150 Attack stat. Access to coverage moves in Superpower, Low Kick, and Ice Punch, as well as strong STABs in EQ / Waterfall allow Swampert to hit everything hard. Admittedly, Rotom and other bulky mons are a problem, so I can see that being one reason for him to not rise, but other than that, I feel that Perts ability to sweep teams under Rain, while also faring decently outside of it is enough to warrant a raise imo.

Quagsire: B -> B+: Quag was good, then meh, but now hes good again. Bar Grass Knot, he walls Mega gross, while also having the bulk to beat many physical set up sweepers such as Double Dance Lando T, SD Chomp, SD Mega Scizor, DD Mega Alataria, DD Zard X (bar Outrage)and BD Azu. He fits well into many stall and semi stall teams and can spread around burns with Scald. I realize that hes really passive and loses to many mons that run Substitute, as well as most Special Attackers, but I feel hes on par with B+ mons due to being one of the few mons capable of beating top-tier boosting sweepers. B+ seems fair but no higher.

Chesnaught B- -> B+/A-: Chesnaught got sooo good in ORAS. Drain Punch, Super Fang, Spikes, Leech Seed, Spiky Shield, Wood Hammer, and even Synthesis are excellent tools for a defensive mon. Chesnaught has the bulk and typing to take on many physical hitters including Landorus-T, Garchomp, Bisharp, Mega Gyarados, Terrakion, and others. Bullet Proof is also really trolly, as it allows Ches to completely wall Gengar that opt out of Sludge wave, as well as Ferrothorn, both top-tier threats for different reasons. Overall I feel Ches has a solid niche on Balancce, stall, and Bulky Offense teams as a great bulky Grass-type and deserves to rise.

Empoleon B- -> B/B+: Sorry if this doesnt count but saying it anyways, tho Ill make it brief. Empoleon is really good right now. its a reliably hazard setter / remover, and checks a slew of mons both physically and specially, including Greninja that lack Low Kick. On top of this Empoleon has a high enough SpAtk stat to not be complete set up bait, and even then he has access to Roar. His unique set of resistances along with his movepool and stats give him just enough to be a solid choice for the ORAS Metagame and as such I believ he deserves to go to B, if not B+.

=]

I think Mega Beedrill should be moved up to B+ rank. Whilst it has obvious flaws: abysmal defenses and Stealth Rock weakness, what it does have to offer are extremely powerful U-turns, which rival CB Scizor's in power. The big advantage Mega Beedrill has is its speed tier, which enables it to outrun the majority of the unboosted metagame and hence gives it a major advantage versus offensive teams, allowing it to act as a soft check to threats such as Greninja. It's fast enough to the point where it can afford to run Adamant and still outspeed everything it needs to. It can quickly and easily gain momentum against any team archetype, and is particularly deadly when paired with a VoltTurn core, enabling it to safely get in and out. Mega Beedrill tends to force a lot of switches, and when coupled with hazard damage and the constant U-turning, it can be very difficult for the opponent to regain momentum once it is lost.

Mega Swampert should definitely move up to A-. Politoed may be the face of rain teams but Mega Swampert is certainly the rain's best sweeper and is just a awesome mon to use in rain. Heck, it can even just ditch fighting coverage for rain dance if you don't wanna make a rain team and he'll still work as a powerful sweeper who'll be really hard to revenge kill after setting up rain dance (just have something on your team to handle Ferrothorn and Rotom-W). Waterfall boosted in rain hits everything that doesn't resist it like a truck and stab eq scares away all electric types it turns into a setup fodder (irreplaceable pro for any rain team sweeper worth their money btw) and ice punch for the silly grass types who wanna try out their luck against it. It's a simple mon with not much variety to work with but undeniably effective.

I think Mega Beedrill should be moved up to B+ rank. Whilst it has obvious flaws: abysmal defenses and Stealth Rock weakness, what it does have to offer are extremely powerful U-turns, which rival CB Scizor's in power. The big advantage Mega Beedrill has is its speed tier, which enables it to outrun the majority of the unboosted metagame and hence gives it a major advantage versus offensive teams, allowing it to act as a soft check to threats such as Greninja. It's fast enough to the point where it can afford to run Adamant and still outspeed everything it needs to. It can quickly and easily gain momentum against any team archetype, and is particularly deadly when paired with a VoltTurn core, enabling it to safely get in and out. Mega Beedrill tends to force a lot of switches, and when coupled with hazard damage and the constant U-turning, it can be very difficult for the opponent to regain momentum once it is lost.
The problem there is that Mega Beedrill's main job is to spam U-turn, but even ignoring its frailty, it's weak to Stealth Rock, which limits how well it can do the job. Its power is good but not great for staying in, and coverage-wise it's bare.

Mega Beedrill spams strong U-Turns not just to scout, but because it can't risk taking hits itself.

It feels a little ridiculous to have TEN mega evolutions in a single rank, especially when that rank is A+. Some of those mega evolutions are better than others at performing their own job (Megallade, Megabro, CharX, etc) and it just feels a little odd that they share ranks with some of the Pokemon in that same rank. I don't know what could be done about this, but that's just my opinion.

I also nominate Mega Swampert for A- simply because in the rain, that thing is terrifying, I'll write more later I'm a bit busy.

Last edited:
I'd argue against the "Adamant outruns everything it needs to" statement, because you miss extremely crucial outspeeding of Mega Lop, Mega Man, Mega Sceptile and Modest/Adamant Mega Zam/Mega Aero.

In regards to Mega Beedrill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)