Pokémon Greninja

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switching in requires good prediction and/or baiting. Usually this is referred to as skill.

Greninja is a strong Pokemon, being able to handle it separates players imo.

A check needs to be able to switch into a mon and beat it most of the time, or are able to switch into most moves.
Nope:
Smogon said:
Pokémon A checks Pokémon B if, when Pokémon A is given a free switch into Pokémon B, Pokémon A can win every time, even under the worst case scenario, without factoring in hax.

Last edited:
We don't want to check every pokemon in the meta, we just try to check that fuckin ninja. To do that more or less reliably we are forced to use Teambuilding limitating things (chansey forces you to use stall) or mons that are difficult to fit on a team (empoleon and tentacruel), there are some other decent answers like ferro, Sdef rachi and scizor, maybe AV conk and CM manaphy, But every single mon i nominated still gets wrecked by greninja if it carries the right moves. And rly what are these offensive checks you're talking about, i can't see any except scarf keldeo and the already mentioned conkeldurr.
Mega Manetric, Mega Sceptile, Mega Beedrill. Powerful priority users like Dragonite or Talonflame just to name a few.

Greninja is just the BEST overall Pokemon right now, for the reasons we have constantly stated over and over, there's no denying that unless you're absolutely blind.
I never said it wasn't. It's a great pokemon. It has a lack of counters. I get that.

EDIT: Also, "Dealing with it" doesn't make it any less broken powerful.
I agree, except with the broken part..

Besides, 9 times out of 10 you're losing something in order to "Deal with it", so really, is it worth it? Since it can simply switch out, the answer is no.
On the contrary you usually have to sack something as well to get greninja in safely since it's so frail and doesn't like taking unnecessary damage unless you switch into a predicted ice shard or physic move.

Also bout this "I have to use stall to use chansey" statement is incorrect. There's this thing called balance teams where you use a few walls and the rest are physical/ special sweepers and wall breakers. There are other viable play styles you can use as well. Trick Room, Volt -Turn, Rain Offense, Sticky Web. Just because you like to play a certain play style, that doesn't give you the right to make that the one true accepted play style. Either adapt or don't play.

And about this whole check/counter definition. Counters are pokemon that can switch into any move an opponent goes for and threaten to kill it back like Defensive Landorus-T > Terrakion. A check is something that can't safe switch into it but can threaten it out if given a safe switch into it. Azumaril can check diggersby with an aqua jet, but can't counter it because it will die to a return/earthquake if it tries to switch into it.

Last edited:
On the contrary you usually have to sack something as well to get greninja in safely since it's so frail and doesn't like taking unnecessary damage unless you switch into a predicted ice shard or physic move.

Also bout this "I have to use stall to use chansey" statement is incorrect. There's this thing called balance teams where you use a few walls and the rest are physical/ special sweepers and wall breakers. There are other viable play styles you can use as well. Trick Room, Volt -Turn, Rain Offense, Sticky Web. Just because you like to play a certain play style, that doesn't give you the right to make that the one true accepted play style. Either adapt or don't play.
Haha, arrogance isn't going to get you far here.
Anyways, Although I'd like it if you refrained from insulting my intelligence, I'll rebuff this the best I can in a simple manner. We know balance teams exist, this isn't new to anyone. Literally the team in my Signature is a Balance/Bulky offense team, however this doesn't mean you can just easily fit Chansey or p2 on teams. They aren't just plug n' play Pokemon, as I stated previously, they rely heavily on team synergy and that isn't always applicable.

No one here is trying to boil the Metagame down to one playstyle, they are identifying clearly tilted Pokemon, and giving reasons on why it's such a ridiculous threat right now. We give you reasons as to why we think the way we do, and you simply bounce back with, "well don't run HO then, change your entire team and run Balance instead" (that's not centralization right?). Ironically enough, you're further proving why this thing is as ridiculous as we believe it to be. Changing the way I play, despite the fact it isn't the play style we are rooted in, for ONE pokemon proves how centralizing Greninja is.

Also, I've had more than enough of this "Adapt or get out" argument. It's completely evasive, and honestly makes it look like you haven't read anything we've said. Keep that in VGC. This isn't a metagame where we just have to "work around" broken strategies (Use Feint Attack amirite?). This is where we try to balance this tilted game as best we can. This mindset isn't helping us.

Bottom line is, if you're going to try and defend Greninja, that's fine, but bring more to the table than "Use Chansey you dipshit".
I'd respect your opinion on the matter if you gave me reason to.

And about this whole check/counter definition. Counters are pokemon that can switch into any move an opponent goes for and threaten to kill it back like Defensive Landorus-T > Terrakion. A check is something that can't safe switch into it but can threaten it out if given a safe switch into it. Azumaril can check diggersby with an aqua jet, but can't counter it because it will die to a return/earthquake if it tries to switch into it.
Many things wrong with this: Firstly,

Trick Room, Volt -Turn, Rain Offense, Sticky Web.
None of those are even any good.

Trick room is pretty lack luster.. the typing syngery on trick room teams are extremely poor and team match-up dependant. When your trick room goes away you're pretty screwed as trick room teams lack fast revenge killers outside a couple priority users that can be walled with common OU pokemon (talonflame vs. rotom).

VoltTurn cores just recently become good because of u-turners and volt switch users having good syngery together dealing with threats (Lando who glues everything, mag+beedrill, rotom requiring it, etc) it's not really a playstyle but more of just a teambuilding core. I guess rotom-wash+ferro is a playstyle because they work good together, Not.

Rain Offense is pretty meh as well.. again typing syngery is poor and the weather nerf hurt it alot this gen, it got a bit better cause of swampert but ferrothorn and sceptile pretty much plow through it now.

Sticky web is the most useless of all.. just bring in bisharp, GG, not to mention half the tier doesn't care about sticky web and defoggers are fucking everywhere.

Not that any of this has to do with greninja..

This is false, a check is something that CAN switch in, and threaten it out the majority of the time. A revenge killer is something that comes in after losing a pokemon, and kills or threatens the killer in return.. such as your azumaril/diggersby scenario. You got the counter thing down but just because a pokemon can take something out does not mean it's a check if it is not a reliable switch in 6/10 times. Mega-Man, beedrill, talonflame, those are all classified as revenge killers for ninja, they do threatening him out, but then what good did they do if ninja just going to switch into lando to wall them? Ninja is still alive, and now you're forced out and the cycle repeats.. which makes ninja very unhealthy for the metagame.

Speaking of switching..

Not nessecarly.. see, the benefit of greninja's typing is he CAN switch into a fair ammount of pokemon. Ice shard? Greninja. Lava plume? Greninja. Psyshock, flash cannon, scald, hydropump, will-o, icy wind (Choiced keldeo will still be forced out and something hit hard), ice beam, shadow ball, dark pulse, knock off, iron head, gyro ball, bullet punch, defog, protect, fire blast, flamethrower? Greninja. and that's just what comes off the top of my head.

Point is, greninja is very anti-meta. He can win is almost any scenario with his coverage, and scouting what coverage he is carrying usually cost a mon. Sounds like mawile in a way. Checks nearly the entire tier on it's own, yet has very few checks for it depending on the set.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
None of those are even any good.

Trick room is pretty lack luster.. the typing syngery on trick room teams are extremely poor and team match-up dependant. When your trick room goes away you're pretty screwed as trick room teams lack fast revenge killers outside a couple priority users that can be walled with common OU pokemon (talonflame vs. rotom).
With a very fast meta we have at the moment, trick room is pretty good. It sucks it only lasts 5 turns but offensive teams really hate it. Stall doesn't have many problems with it but a Crawdaunt or M-Camerupt really break offense.

Rain Offense is pretty meh as well.. again typing syngery is poor and the weather nerf hurt it alot this gen, it got a bit better cause of swampert but ferrothorn and sceptile pretty much plow through it now.
How is rain losing against M-Sceptile? M-Swampert, Kingdra and Kabutops on rain easily kills it because (guess what) they do not only run Waterfall or Hydro Pump which M-Sceptile does resist 4x. M-Swampert OHKOs with Ice Punch and Kingdra OHKOs with Draco Meteor.
Well built rain teams have ways to beat Ferrothorn and M-Venu, both threats to stall: Secret Sword Keldeo, Focus Blast Thundurus, CC M-Heracross and Hurricane Tornadus get rid of Ferrothorn while Psychic Thundurus/Landorus, Latias, M-Heracross and Tornadus can beat M-Venusaur. Rain is indeed not the best playstyle at the moment but it is far from bad

Sticky web is the most useless of all.. just bring in bisharp, GG, not to mention half the tier doesn't care about sticky web and defoggers are fucking everywhere.
And what if you are one of the 90% of the teams that doesn't have Bisharp? We are talking in a Greninja topic and Greninja hates Sticky Web + Sticky Web teams often have ways to prevent rapid spin (spinblockers) and defog (fast taunt, bisharp) I don't like Sticky Web either as a playstyle because the setters are pretty bad and against defensive teams it is kinda pointless but it makes Greninja less scary and it can turn your M-Gardevoir (just an example) into a very good sweeper

Point is, greninja is very anti-meta.
Greninja isn't anti-meta, Greninja is the meta. Tentacruel at 5% usage instead of 2% and more Keldeo's and Latios's who uses Scarf instead of Specs or Life Orb is anti-meta.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Haha, arrogance isn't going to get you far here.
Anyways, Although I'd like it if you refrained from insulting my intelligence, I'll rebuff this the best I can in a simple manner. We know balance teams exist, this isn't new to anyone. Literally the team in my Signature is a Balance/Bulky offense team, however this doesn't mean you can just easily fit Chansey or p2 on teams. They aren't just plug n' play Pokemon, as I stated previously, they rely heavily on team synergy and that isn't always applicable.

No one here is trying to boil the Metagame down to one playstyle, they are identifying clearly tilted Pokemon, and giving reasons on why it's such a ridiculous threat right now. We give you reasons as to why we think the way we do, and you simply bounce back with, "well don't run HO then, change your entire team and run Balance instead" (that's not centralization right?). Ironically enough, you're further proving why this thing is as ridiculous as we believe it to be. Changing the way I play, despite the fact it isn't the play style we are rooted in, for ONE pokemon proves how centralizing Greninja is.

Also, I've had more than enough of this "Adapt or get out" argument. It's completely evasive, and honestly makes it look like you haven't read anything we've said. Keep that in VGC. This isn't a metagame where we just have to "work around" broken strategies (Use Feint Attack amirite?). This is where we try to balance this tilted game as best we can. This mindset isn't helping us.

Bottom line is, if you're going to try and defend Greninja, that's fine, but bring more to the table than "Use Chansey you dipshit".
The "adapt or get out" argument is actually legitimate if multiple factors are limiting a playstyle, but Greninja is more or less the main reason why Offense is having a hard time right now.

I do agree with you otherwise.

The "adapt or get out" argument is actually legitimate if multiple factors are limiting a playstyle, but Greninja is more or less the main reason why Offense is having a hard time right now.

I do agree with you otherwise.
I meant more so, the "adapt to (insert "broken" mon) or Get out" argument. I can adapt to an overall play style, mega, or what have you that doesn't entirely limit team building. However, as you stated, Greninja is not one of those Pokemon.

And what if you are one of the 90% of the teams that doesn't have Bisharp? We are talking in a Greninja topic and Greninja hates Sticky Web + Sticky Web teams often have ways to prevent rapid spin (spinblockers) and defog (fast taunt, bisharp) I don't like Sticky Web either as a playstyle because the setters are pretty bad and against defensive teams it is kinda pointless but it makes Greninja less scary and it can turn your M-Gardevoir (just an example) into a very good sweeper
In today's metagame sticky web is pretty useless.. as I said, defoggers are everywhere, majority of the tier is levitating, balloon, slow, or flying type, now we got more magic bouncers like the little pain in the ass sableye..and while yeah sure greninja doesn't like web, web more often than not doesn't stay down for long since, again, a defogger or something is on nearly every team. It's just a very rarely effective playstyle.. sure it's team match up dependant but 9.5/10 times web is usually a waste an the pokemon laying it just suicide leads for nothing. It's like saying everything in BL is badass on the ladder.

they rely heavily on team synergy and that isn't always applicable.
Every team requires good team synergy for it to be successful. You can't just slap on 6 random pokemon you think are strong and hope to do well against it.

This is the issue I have with some people's mindset. They prefer a certain play style and feel entitled to that play style. You are basically saying I don't like Greninja because it forces me to play a different way and I don't want to play that way, which is a bad argument against greninja or any pokemon for that matter. And whether or not it's one factor or many is irrelevant. Point still stands in my opinion.

I'm not talking about "use aura sphere or faint attack to deal with double team." I'm talking about dealing with pokemon that doesn't rely on luck to be successful.. which double team does. I'm guessing the problem lies in how we view the metagame. You obviously have a different view of how the metagame should be than I do. I feel like we should keep things neutral and not favor a play style over another and let the metagame shift as we adjust to them. Pretty much how we do every time a new generation comes in. There are few exceptions of course like sway play and baton pass that severely limit skill based playing.

I've made other reasons other than "use chansey" such using viable checks/revenge killers. Switch initiative moves(volt switch and u turn) and adapting and adjusting to different play styles.

Not nessecarly.. see, the benefit of greninja's typing is he CAN switch into a fair ammount of pokemon. Ice shard? Greninja. Lava plume? Greninja. Psyshock, flash cannon, scald, hydropump, will-o, icy wind (Choiced keldeo will still be forced out and something hit hard), ice beam, shadow ball, dark pulse, knock off, iron head, gyro ball, bullet punch, defog, protect, fire blast, flamethrower? Greninja. and that's just what comes off the top of my head.
Greninja doesn't appreciate being burned or toxic'd as the residual damage will wear it down. So moves like WOW, scald, and lava plume are risky to switch into as you can easily wear it down. An example. You switch into a heatran on a lava plume, take bout 20 percent off get burned, take another 12 percent off. Your opponent protect to take another 12 percent off and you will be already down 44 percent and once you successfully attack you will lost another 10 percent from life orb. Not to mention switching into rocks and everything, you are limited your switch ins. The only moves it can switch into is a Physic type. Greninja can't really afford to switch into much as even resist moves will still be doing a decent amount of damage.

Last edited:
Greninja doesn't appreciate being burned or toxic'd as the residual damage will wear it down. So moves like WOW, scald, and lava plume are risky to switch into as you can easily wear it down. An example. You switch into a heatran on a lava plume, take bout 20 percent off get burned, take another 12 percent off. Your opponent protect to take another 12 percent off and you will be already down 44 percent and once you successfully attack you will lost another 10 percent from life orb. Not to mention switching into rocks and everything, you are limited your switch ins. The only moves it can switch into is a Physic type. Greninja can't really afford to switch into much as even resist moves will still be doing a decent amount of damage.
The only thing I heard out of this is "A pokemon must be sapped to kill greninja and the only way to do so is wearing greninja down" consituring you're losing heatran either way, or a switch is taking a heavy toll on damage. I'll just do the same thing I did with mawile who was broken.. healing wish, ninja back in action.

He is just way too unhealthy for the metagame.. you basicly said it yourself, greninja needs weared down. Switching into him is extremely difficult and something needs sapped or lucky hax to get rid of him.

Every team requires good team synergy for it to be successful. You can't just slap on 6 random pokemon you think are strong and hope to do well against it.

This is the issue I have with some people's mindset. They prefer a certain play style and feel entitled to that play style. You are basically saying I don't like Greninja because it forces me to play a different way and I don't want to play that way, which is a bad argument against greninja or any pokemon for that matter. And whether or not it's one factor or many is irrelevant. Point still stands in my opinion.

I'm not talking about "use aura sphere or faint attack to deal with double team." I'm talking about dealing with pokemon that doesn't rely on luck to be successful.. which double team does. I'm guessing the problem lies in how we view the metagame. You obviously have a different view of how the metagame should be than I do. I feel like we should keep things neutral and not favor a play style over another and let the metagame shift as we adjust to them. Pretty much how we do every time a new generation comes in. There are few exceptions of course like sway play and baton pass that severely limit skill based playing.

I've made other reasons other than "use chansey" such using viable checks/revenge killers. Switch initiative moves(volt switch and u turn) and adapting and adjusting to different play styles.
You're right, you can't just slap 6 Pokes together, just like you can't just slap one of the two things that counter this thing on your team.
As far as this "mindset", here's the flaw in this. It's not about whether you want to run a style other than your usual one, it's the fact that you have to in order to properly deal with this thing.
Also, we're talking adapting in general, don't sit here and tell me to adapt to ninja, but not to another. If something is "broken" your statement should stand either way "adapt to it". You don't get to pick and choose what everyone else has to deal with. Also, how is, "click whatever move you want, you'll just 2HKO anyways" Skill based? To each their own I suppose.

On to the substance. . .

Those aren't in anyway defending Greninja. . . That's just showing there are checks. No one here is denying this. What you seem to completely neglect is what it takes to get these checks in. Something has died, or has taken a massive amount of damage due to its insane power. You can get your check in, then Ninja just dueces out to get its chance to do it all over again. All the while, this "check" is being worn down, limiting how often it will be freely switching in. Your check hardly is a check at 12%. VoltTurn exacerbates this. . . It also still relies on 1.) Being Faster, 2.) being able to take a hit from Greninja because it's slower or 3.) being able to kill it off if it gets the chance to. Either way, something is getting worn down severely all in order to deal with one Pokemon. At this point 9 times out of 10, a good player using Ninja has done their job, and can deal with Ninja going and simply pick off the rest of your team. Let's say you get your check in, you have lost something to get the free switch, and guess what? Ninja just switches out, as if nothing happened. Yea, your check "dealt" with Ninja, but at what cost?

Also, I've gone over what's wrong with the "adjusting to a different play style" statement. The point is, I shouldn't have to. What is there not to get about that? It's that simple.

Also, we're talking adapting in general, don't sit here and tell me to adapt to ninja, but not to another. If something is "broken" your statement should stand either way "adapt to it". You don't get to pick and choose what everyone else has to deal with. Also, how is, "click whatever move you want, you'll just 2HKO anyways" Skill based? To each their own I suppose.
I gave reason for my exceptions, which I don't think greninja falls into because you can't just lead of with greninja and hope to 2 hit KO your opponents team. You have to come in at the right time and scout your opponents team for potential scarfers, sashers or other threats. And this takes some skill.

Those aren't in anyway defending Greninja. . . That's just showing there are checks. No one here is denying this. What you seem to completely neglect is what it takes to get these checks in. Something has died, or has taken a massive amount of damage due to its insane power. You can get your check in, then Ninja just dueces out to get its chance to do it all over again. All the while, this "check" is being worn down, limiting how often it will be freely switching in. Your check hardly is a check at 12%. VoltTurn exacerbates this. . . It also still relies on 1.) Being Faster, 2.) being able to take a hit from Greninja because it's slower or 3.) being able to kill it off if it gets the chance to. Either way, something is getting worn down severely all in order to deal with one Pokemon. At this point 9 times out of 10, a good player using Ninja has done their job, and can deal with Ninja going and simply pick off the rest of your team. Let's say you get your check in, you have lost something to get the free switch, and guess what? Ninja just switches out, as if nothing happened. Yea, your check "dealt" with Ninja, but at what cost?
I've mentioned all of this before and said that this is part of the game. Also asked when did checks stop being a viable way to deal with pokemon? Some situations you have to sac the most expendable pokemon to bring in a pokemon safetly. Sure you force the pokemon out, but that's the whole point of a check-to make sure your opponents pokemon don't sweep your team giving you a chance to beat it later.

Also, I've gone over what's wrong with the "adjusting to a different play style" statement. The point is, I shouldn't have to. What is there not to get about that? It's that simple.
I get it, I just don't think it's a good or fair argument.

I had a match that somewhat shows what I'm talking about.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-178231794

Here after I let one of my counters get worn down I had to sack it to greninja, then sack another pokemon to greninja to ensure one of my checks beat it. And then sack another pokemon to a diff pokemon. Eventually he had few pokemons left that he had to sacrifice greninja as I would have gotten the momentum from my check if he switched out.

Last edited:
I'll try and keep this brief since this conversation has gone on for a while and I still remember the discussion between preserve and other users in the Mega Salamence thread that went the same way this one is going.

I gave reason for my exceptions, which I don't think greninja falls into because you can't just lead of with greninja and hope to 2 hit KO your opponents team. You have to come in at the right time and scout your opponents team for potential scarfers, sashers or other threats. And this takes some skill.
Seriously, give me one mon we banned that could lead and 6-0 an opponent's team. This is a ludicrous requirement for something to be broken in OU, and I can probably find at least 3 box legendary Ubers who can't do this.

I've mentioned all of this before and said that this is part of the game. Also asked when did checks stop being a viable way to deal with pokemon? Some situations you have to sac the most expendable pokemon to bring in a pokemon safetly. Sure you force the pokemon out, but that's the whole point of a check-to make sure your opponents pokemon don't sweep your team giving you a chance to beat it later.
1. Most of Greninja's checks for offense fall under the following: Fast Mega, Conkeldurr, Scarfer. Take out Scarfers that can't take Ice Beam, Greninja's most spammable move, and you have a shorter list. To try and find a combination of two checks then becomes more difficult simply because packing 2 scarfers is generally a bad idea. That's not to say that it's impossible, but if the resulting pool of combinations becomes too small, that's a problem because no one wants to cookie-cut teams to run Offense.

2. If the only feasible way to check something is revenge killing with a Scarfer or something as fast as Scarfers, that's not good. It's even more problematic if the Mon isn't choice-locked since that's one less mechanic to abuse to try and change the situation in your favor.

I get it, I just don't think it's a good or fair argument.
If you don't think invalidating an entire play style is a valid argument, you need to drop this argument because you and the people you are arguing with will never come to a consensus. For the rest of us, invalidation of a play style is an Ubers-worthy offense.

I had a match that somewhat shows what I'm talking about.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-178231794

Here after I let one of my counters get worn down I had to sack it to greninja, then sack another pokemon to greninja to ensure one of my checks beat it. Eventually he had few pokemons left that he had to sacrifice greninja as I would have gotten the momentum from my check if he switched out.
You want me to go over every stupid mistake your opponent made? In addition, as I said above the general issue most players have is that when the only way to reliably check Greninja is to keep sacking crap to get a check in we have a problem. Mega Mawile could be killed if you get a free switch after sacking something. Doesn't mean that Mega Mawile wasn't broken.

I want to re-emphasize that if you think that a play style being invalidated is not an issue, or that having to constantly sack something to safely bring in checks is okay, then you should probably drop the argument. I'm not saying this to be rude to you. I'm saying this because this conversation will go nowhere if you have that mind set and this conversation has dragged on for a while already.

Dragon Claw Latios? What is this, Gen 3?

Anyways, from what I see, Greninja has the issues that made both Mega Lucario and Mega Mawile broken, minus the bulk, and even then, you could change your typing on the fly to take resisted hits if necessary.

Mega Luke Skywalker was broken not just because of raw power and high speed, but because of how unpredictable his movesets were until it was too late, just like Greninja.

Mega Mawfuckthisthing was broken due to how it was guaranteed to get a kill before something came in, pretty much just like Greninja. It doesn't happen NEARLY as often with Greninja, but it happens enough times just due to how limited Greninja's checks/counters are.

Imo, if there's ever an S+ rank for OU, Ninja Brian needs to go there.

Seriously, give me one mon we banned that could lead and 6-0 an opponent's team. This is a ludicrous requirement for something to be broken in OU, and I can probably find at least 3 box legendary Ubers who can't do this.
I never said 6-0. What I meant to say is that it can't just come in on anything and proceed to sweep. You have to come in on a specific pokemon that's weak to it. Though I will admit are a lot. But it still takes skill to use.

You want me to go over every stupid mistake your opponent made? In addition, as I said above the general issue most players have is that when the only way to reliably check Greninja is to keep sacking crap to get a check in we have a problem. Mega Mawile could be killed if you get a free switch after sacking something. Doesn't mean that Mega Mawile wasn't broken.
Of course every time someone provides a replay they have to go after every little mishap. You can theorymon and provide every scenerio in which he would win. That wouldn't change the point I was trying to make in - sacking pokemon is part of the game and at times need to be done if you want to win.. suck it up. He's was playing pretty well in my opinion anyways. He wasn't like a total noob that made really obvious illogical moves.

Again as I said before this argument really comes down to personal preference of how the majority of the players feel like the meta should be played. And as long as that preferred meta is there, there's no use in arguing against it. Like two wolves and a sheep deciding on what to eat for dinner. So I think I'm done here.

I never said 6-0. What I meant to say is that it can't just come in on anything and proceed to sweep. You have to come in on a specific pokemon that's weak to it. Though I will admit are a lot. But it still takes skill to use.
preserve said:
You seriously implied it when you said "lead off with Greninja" and "2HKO your opponent's team", but whatever. Then, name one mon we banned that could come in on anything and proceed to sweep. Mega Blaziken couldn't come in on Talonflame or Azumarill and proceed to sweep. Mega Kanghaskan couldn't come in on Sableye and begin to sweep. This is not a valid argument and I repeat: I can probably find 3 box legendaries that have OU mons that they can't proceed to set up on.

Of course every time someone provides a replay they have to go after every little mishap. You can theorymon and provide every scenerio in which he would win. That wouldn't change the point I was trying to make in - sacking pokemon is part of the game and at times need to be done if you want to win.. suck it up. He's was playing pretty well in my opinion anyways. He wasn't like a total noob that made really obvious illogical moves.
We nitpick replays because if you provide replays where opponents make bad plays, it hurts the credibility of the argument. How can you say, "this mon caused me no problems" if the one using the mon was not utilizing his team to the best of its capabilities? I'm not saying "oh, he's bad because he mispredicted an attack", I'm saying "He threw away his Heatran because he couldn't be bothered to check Beedrill's speed" and "He threw away his best Keldeo check because he wanted to set up in front of Zapdos". These are very consequential misplays that are 100% preventable when you use the damage calculator. Also, I'm not saying that you should never have to sack something to get through a battle. I'm saying that sacking a mon shouldn't have to be the first choice every time a certain mon comes into play.

Again as I said before this argument really comes down to personal preference of how the majority of the players feel like the meta should be played. And as long as that preferred meta is there, there's no use in arguing against it. Like two wolves and a sheep deciding on what to eat for dinner. So I think I'm done here.
Fair enough, I think we can both agree that this isn't getting anyone anywhere and while our philosophies differ, I can't fault someone simply because they think differently. Besides I'm hungry :p

How good does an offensive Scoliopede do?
Set up protect, then use either a strong STAB like Megahorn or Poison Jab or EQ depending on what type ninja makes himself.
For revenge killing it seems pretty good in theory, though most Scoliopede builds I have played against are BP users with Swords Dance and Subs.

So greninja is to offense as kyuB is to stall. It's one of the best comparisons I can make - both are pokemon that are particularly effective against certain playstyle and it's usually very costly, probably saccing something, to learn it's moveset or get a check in when you have that matchup. Meanwhile the ninja can't quite break stall teams and kyub just unfortunately gets outsped and killed by rocks against fast offense teams. This gives me the horrible idea to just use both on the same team lol. Sticky web is also getting horribly underrated on this page. Yes of course it has ups and downs, but it's far from just a gimmick and has way more uses than its given credit for.

I found that specially defensive gastrodon is an excellent counter to Greninja. Immune to it's water stab, resistant to gunk shot and ice beam/dark pulse don't do much and it has access to recover so you can stall it out. . Also full on stops rotom wash which is something else to consider

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
I found that specially defensive gastrodon is an excellent counter to Greninja. Immune to it's water stab, resistant to gunk shot and ice beam/dark pulse don't do much and it has access to recover so you can stall it out. . Also full on stops rotom wash which is something else to consider
Greninja often packs grass knot/hp grass which OHKOs and if is not a full stop to rotom because it can burn you and that residual damage is pretty annoying
How good does an offensive Scoliopede do?
Set up protect, then use either a strong STAB like Megahorn or Poison Jab or EQ depending on what type ninja makes himself.
For revenge killing it seems pretty good in theory, though most Scoliopede builds I have played against are BP users with Swords Dance and Subs.
The point is always the same, how do you bring this thing in safely, without saccing a mon?

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
So greninja is to offense as kyuB is to stall. It's one of the best comparisons I can make
Good comparision. Stall has ways to deal with Kyu-B (Jirachi, Scizor, Cresselia) while offense/balance has ways to deal with Greninja, but once they run the right coverage moves (Greninja Extrasensory for Tentacruel, Kyu-B Earth Power for Jirachi et cetera) you are basically left with a very few true counters. However, both can only run 4 moves so even when Greninja has Extrasensory to deal with Tentacruel or Keldeo switch ins, he has 1 coverage move less which makes him weaker to for example AV Azumarill. If Kyu-B runs Earth Power, it costs him 1 moveslot so he doesn't have any place for other moves so Cresselia or M-Scizor can play around it in that case

Good comparision. Stall has ways to deal with Kyu-B (Jirachi, Scizor, Cresselia) while offense/balance has ways to deal with Greninja, but once they run the right coverage moves (Greninja Extrasensory for Tentacruel, Kyu-B Earth Power for Jirachi et cetera) you are basically left with a very few true counters. However, both can only run 4 moves so even when Greninja has Extrasensory to deal with Tentacruel or Keldeo switch ins, he has 1 coverage move less which makes him weaker to for example AV Azumarill. If Kyu-B runs Earth Power, it costs him 1 moveslot so he doesn't have any place for other moves so Cresselia or M-Scizor can play around it in that case
The difference with Greninja, however, is how superior his movepool is compared to Kyube, who doesn't even have a physical ice type move :c (Greninja has Ice Punch, kek)

Greninja can just easily run moves that the rest of the team needs to be able to cover everything. No Grass coverage? HP grass or Grass Knot. No Dark coverage? Dark Pulse. No Ice? Ice Beam. Need something to smack Fairies? Gunk Shot. You get my point.

It's hilarious how, with Protean changing his type and granting him STAB, he doesn't even NEED Hydro Pump anymore. Simply run a Rotom-W, Keldeo, Azumarill or any other water type for that coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)