Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

I feel like Palutena has some real potential in team battles; her zone control and wall assistance is excellent and a combo character like Sheik or ZSS could really patch up her frame data weaknesses.

I like that idea, though it'd be cool if we could also get a ranking system for singles/doubles too. (I realise the logistics of this are basically impossible though)

I feel really left behind because I couldn't secure my own Gamecube adapter and refuse to play the Wii U version until I can get my hands on one. Gaaaahhhh
After many great adventures and epics in search for the sought after treasure, I have concluded that the Gamecube adapter is simply a myth created by Nintendo.

Wii U Pro is the real MVP. GameCube Controller is so 2001 lol.
Anyways. For Glory is a fucking mess. Every single time I go there I see cheap plays.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Over the past week or so, I've had the chance to play a fair bit of Smash Wii U on my own instead of just at a convention (8-Player Smash is crazy btw. Fun, but crazy) I've mainly spent it on For Glory since my two mains (Shulk and Lucario) are available from the outset. I'm at a pretty decent 70% win rate, which is 5% lower than on the 3DS, but I kind of expected this since I figured most of the "pros" were waiting for Wii U to come along. I actually ran into someone who was using Shulk really well yesterday, and I can safely say that using him defensively is definitely better in a mirror match. We ended up doing 5 mirror matches, and my two losses came from starting to get too aggressive. Maybe it's just me not being fully used to using him aggressively yet, but I also think Shulk is easy to punish if you get too aggressive with him. My three wins basically came from me taking more damage than my opponent, but living longer and just outlasting him.

Played Event Mode last night and got through most of the events. My god, I fucking hate the Duck Hunt one. I completely suck with Duck Hunt in the first place and I can't even clear it on Easy (yeah, I'm that bad with him lmao) But that's the thing. It feels like with some of these events you either have to get through it with sheer luck (Game and Watch one is the dumbest thing ever) or by having near complete mastery of the character, which I don't care to spend the time to do unless I'm at least decent to start with. And even then, some are really challenging even if you are good with the character. The aura one with Lucario is kinda stupid just due to the fact that your opponents are fucking invisible. I'm sorry, but I myself am not Lucario. I can't just see shit that isn't there thanks to my Aura. Some of the event matches are really cool, but some are just completely stupid and way harder than they should be imo.

Also, how do you get Pac-Land? I've played Smash Tour 3 times, but I still haven't unlocked it. Is there another requirement that has to be met as well? I haven't gotten Duck Hunt either, but I'm also pretty sure you get it through that event match.... which will suck ass if it has to be cleared on anything more than Easy.

Oh, and as a side note, I've been using the Wii U Pro Controller. Like p. much anyone else that couldn't pre-order a GameCube Adapter at a midnight launch event (store I went to wasn't doing pre-orders and I was at a convention the next 3 days, so rip me) I do not have a GameCube Adapter. And, tbh, the only reason I'll probably get one is so my friends are happy. I'm totally fine with the Wii U Pro.

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
to get pacland you have to do all the maps once
so small medium and large. Its a shitty stage though :P
you get duck hunt by playing 100 smash matches or getting one KO in Cruel solo smash. (which also gets you the stage)

Im liking various characters, but im glad they buffed Samus back from brawl, where her shots and missiles really were ass :P

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
It's easier to unlock Duck Hunt by getting a KO in Cruel Smash, just do a Ganoncide since they didn't nerf it like Bowsercide.

Also I've been using the pro controller and well, I feel it's somehow better than GC because of the closer C-stick. I use the Y button for specials and the standard X and A for jump/attack so I basically only have to move my thumb sideways to have access to everything (and I use L for grab 'cause I got used to the 3DS version lol). You won't see pro players using it because of the wireless interference in big tourneys.

I didn't have many issues with Event Matches, I think I didn't get the rewards in like 2 or 3. I don't know if it's because I like to play with almost everything (I do have my mains on serious matches but I don't spend all my practice time with them), but overall I liked it. There's plenty and they're very creative. I mean of course there are some extremely luck-based like G&W Judge 9 but it's just hilarious when you actually get it.

Meteors are one of the very best things about Smash, I almost always go for them, even if it's predictable, simply too satisfying not to go for.

My favorite metero is not really a meteor, though. Drilling people into the lower blast zone with Kirby's Down Air is the greatest thing in the game.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My favorite is definitely Ike's, especially because Ike's such an underdog character. Robin's Elwind spikes are cool too, although they're a little harder for me to hit :[

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
captain falcon's d-air will always be the best meteor smash imo :]

on the topic of controllers, i've been using the classic controller pro (the one for the original wii) with tap jump disabled and the l/r and zl/zr button functions swapped and i've been doing alright for myself. the latter modification is due to my deeply-ingrained muscle memory from exclusively using a gamecube controller when i first started playing brawl.

anyways, i've been playing the wii u version for a little while, and my main is rosalina & luma (if you haven't already guessed from my smogon and twitter avatars). while it's rather difficult to use her effectively thanks to her luma and her incredibly light weight, she has definitely lived up to and surpassed the hype i had for playing as her. granted, i'm still a smash noob (last time i checked, i only have a 25% win rate on the for glory mode), but i'm still having a ton of fun just playing the game and learning how to do some of rosalina & luma's more advanced techniques; while my win rate suggests otherwise, i also don't feel that i have been struggling too much in the process of learning how to play her effectively. my only complaint is that rosalina is extremely light and thus vulnerable to moderately strong characters if i don't play carefully. i also like messing around with zero suit samus, robin, king dedede, and shulk due to the incredibly different playstyles each one of them offers.

with that minor talk done, what are your favorite alt costumes for the characters you play as? mine are as follows:

rosalina & luma: white dress + red star decals / black dress + gold star decals
zero suit samus: black zero suit
robin: blue coat & hair (male) / pink coat & hair (female)
king dedede: dark blue jacket
shulk: pink clothes (the one based on melia's color scheme)
sheik: white + blue suit

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Black & Yellow Marth/Lucina
Fire Mario
Black Rosalina
Ending Suits ZSS
Blue Sheik
Gold Hat Pikachu

speaking of alts in general I would pay out cold hard cash for DLC costumes think about it

-Mr L Luigi
-Sports Peach
-Dry Bowser
-Boxing DK
-OoT/HW Link, Zelda, Gdorf
-Outset Toon Link
-Prime Suit Samus/ZSS
-Assault Fox/Falco
-Classic Captain Falcon
-PJ Ness
-Awakening/Classic Marth
-Ranger/Lord Ike
-Classic Pit/Palutena
-Louie and Boss over Olimar
-Stack-Up Rob

Do they not realize all this extra money they could be having from doing this? I'd pay with 8 colours total whatever price they want.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Green & Purple Lucario
Any of Shulk's bar the shirtless one due to all of the Xenoblade Chronicles references
Red / Green Falco
Black & Yellow Lucina
Gold / Valentine's Captain Falcon
Fire / Ice Mario

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pink Captain Falcon
Pink Captain Falcon
Pink Captain Falcon
Mr. Saturn Ness
Black Fox
Blue alt Zamus
Viridi Palutena
Pink Captain Falcon

Those are only my mains but I got tons of costumes I love. All of them are just so beautifuly made. Serena Hat Jigglypuff? One of the best costumes

captain falcon's d-air will always be the best meteor smash imo :]

on the topic of controllers, i've been using the classic controller pro (the one for the original wii) with tap jump disabled and the l/r and zl/zr button functions swapped and i've been doing alright for myself. the latter modification is due to my deeply-ingrained muscle memory from exclusively using a gamecube controller when i first started playing brawl.

anyways, i've been playing the wii u version for a little while, and my main is rosalina & luma (if you haven't already guessed from my smogon and twitter avatars). while it's rather difficult to use her effectively thanks to her luma and her incredibly light weight, she has definitely lived up to and surpassed the hype i had for playing as her. granted, i'm still a smash noob (last time i checked, i only have a 25% win rate on the for glory mode), but i'm still having a ton of fun just playing the game and learning how to do some of rosalina & luma's more advanced techniques; while my win rate suggests otherwise, i also don't feel that i have been struggling too much in the process of learning how to play her effectively. my only complaint is that rosalina is extremely light and thus vulnerable to moderately strong characters if i don't play carefully. i also like messing around with zero suit samus, robin, king dedede, and shulk due to the incredibly different playstyles each one of them offers.

with that minor talk done, what are your favorite alt costumes for the characters you play as? mine are as follows:
rosalina & luma: white dress + red star decals
zero suit samus: black zero suit
robin: blue coat & hair (male) / pink coat & hair (female)
king dedede: light blue jacket
shulk: pink clothes (the one based on melia's color scheme)
bro, I know this may seem like a pointless reply but the win rate in for glory doesn't matter at all. almost everyone says this. Sure, you may be a noob at Smash but every smash player is a noob (yes that includes me). xd

I always think FG is a better training mode because you're actually playing against a person and stale moves take effect, and since Smash Wii U's in-game names have separate records it makes it better as a testing ground.

I find myself playing more in with friends more than in for glory because it has more options and shit.
We're all able to do whatever the fuck we want with this game so everythings fine. For Glory has quite the "pros" but from what I've seen so far there are a lot of tauntfegs spamming stupid rolls and crap such as cheap plays.

also as for this what alt costume do you use thing, I use Goggles Pikachu. Because Pichu doesn't exist anymore, is just a trophy, and Raichu is nowhere to be seen.

The only alts I ever use are Overalls Wario and Female Robin, I really wish I could set those as the defaults on the selection screen.

Ihonestly keep switching up the costumes cause each character has so many good ones imo.

Also regarding FG I played this one campy villager on I think Gerudo Valley Omega? There was no gap under the platform anyway and I got camped so hard by this villager. He set up a tree as I approached and alternated lloyd rockets and f-airs as he jumped up from the ledge and re-grabbed it repeatedly (rocket + f-airs do a lot of shield damage apparently). I was playing Diddy and I could literally do nothing but try and get chip damage as he replanted the tree every time. It's weird because it really felt unwinnable because this guy was so good at this one strategy.

Also all the Links on FG really give me trouble. It's so hard to approach, pretty much limited to attacking from the air with all the projectile spam, while that sword has great range too. Any decent Link just flat out ruins characters like Little Mac from my experience.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For Robin I use both genders but only the default colors because the alternate colors look really weird to me. I'm probably in the minority here but I wish all the alternate costumes just changed hair color so I could get the avatars I used in Fire Emblem Awakening.

As for the rest, I use:

Black Marth (Darth Marth anyone?)
Black Bowser (Darth Bowser anyone?)
Yellow Ike because of Ryuga, although sometimes I use the white Ike and pretend that Chrom is in the game
Goggles Pikachu because goggles are really cool, and when he falls it reminds me of the HALO jump scene from Godzilla

Default costumes for everyone else as far as I remember.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Black and gold is a sexy color scheme on anything so if something has that I always use it

this includes Wii Fit Trainer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)