Resource ORAS OU Teambuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should slash thunderbolt after fire blast to lure incoming skarmory and other waters that normally come in on tartar.
252 SpA Tyranitar Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 212-250 (63.4 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tyranitar Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 228-272 (58 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tyranitar Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 172-204 (53.2 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
will implement soon

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind / Heal Bell / Stealth Rock / Fire Blast

Role: Physical Wall, Support

What It Does:
Unaware Clefable is great if you need a Cleric or a mon to stop set-up sweepers. Clefable can switch into many mons that want to set up on you like DDancers or Swords Dance mons. The 4th moveslot depends on your team. Heal Bell can be used if you feel like your team wants the Cleric support, which can be useful on most teams. If you can't fit Stealth Rock anywhere else on your team, Clefable is a pretty reliable Rock setter, and has many oppurtunities to set up rocks. Clefable is also one of the few pokemon that Mega Sableye can't stop from setting up rocks. Fire Blast is nice if you want to hit Steels like Ferrothorn and Skarmory, if your team has trouble with those. Calm Mind is another option you can use if you just want to set up on opposing mons, while they can't set up on you because of Unaware. Since Clefable can't run softboiled with the ability Unaware, it has to use Wish (this might not be a bad thing if you are using it as a cleric). However it takes up two moveslots with protect which can be annoying. I don't recommend running Moonlight because it has only 8 PP and it only heals you 25% in weather. However, since this Clefable set uses Unaware as an ability, Clefable takes damage from rocks and other hazards, so it doesn't have as much freedom to switch as Magic Guard Clefable, so watch for that.

Good Teammates: Clefable does well on just about any team that needs the support Unaware Clefable provides. Clefable performs well in Dragon / Fairy / Steel cores in my opinion. It is able to switch into most Fighting types for the Steel type and it can act as a Cleric for the Dragon Type. Clefable is just a good glue in general to many teams. Landorus-T and Rotom-W are good mons to pair with Clefable because they can handle the Talonflames and Excadrills that like to switch in on Clefable, as Clefable can't really do anything to Talonflame and Excadrill, and they can just set up as much as they want. If you are not running Calm Mind Clefable, something to break Stall is also recommended. Good examples of Stallbreakers are Mew, Gliscor, and Talonflame. Clefable has nothing to hit Steel types so a good Fighting or Fire type is also nice to have.

What Counters It:
Like I said previously, Talonflame and Excadrill are hard stops to Clefable (although you can predict the Excadrill switch in if you have Fire Blast). Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss also counter Clefable, as they resist Clefable's Moonblast, and they have a Super Effective Poison type move to hit back. Both Charizard Mega X and Charizard Mega Y can come on Clefable without much worry, but they do have to worry about Stealth Rocks if Clefable or a different Stealth Rocker you are running got Rocks up earlier in the battle. Any Steel type can come in for free on Clefable if it is not running Fire Blast and get up Hazards for free.

Additional Info:
Clefable is a great mon to have on your team if you need it to switch into powerful mons like Mega Heracross, Mega Gallade, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Altaria to name a few, but sometimes Clefable can be a bit too passive, and you will wish you had something with more speed and power at times.

Done

Reserving SD Mega Pinsir, since -Clone- has decided to drop it. Will finish tomorrow or something.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter -> Aerialite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Close Combat / Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Role: Late-Game Sweeper

What it does:

Good Teammates:

What Counters it:

Additional Info:

Finally done. If the formatting screws up, I blame my phone.

Cresselia @ Light Clay
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 12 SpD / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Lunar Dance
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave

Role: Support

What It Does: Sets up screens and heals up it's teammates. Thanks to it's great bulk and precise movepool, Cresselia fills a specific role on Hyper Offense teams, helping it's teammates to set up by providing a defensive buffer with Reflect and Light Screen, while discouraging opposing set up or slowing dangerous threats with Thunder Wave. Finally, it can also heal an injured teammate back up to full health with Healing Wish.

What Counters It: Taunt users prevent Cresselia from using any of it's moves, so it's important to identify potential Taunters and react appropriately if they switch in. Notably dangerous users include Thundurus-I, Mew, and Talonflame, though there are plenty of others to consider. Defoggers like Latias, Zapdos, and Mandibuzz are able to remove both of Cresselia's screens with one move and irritate it to death. Due to Cresselia's lack of presence, many Pokemon that aren't afraid of Thunder Wave can try to take advantage of Cresselia in order to set up. Threats like Calm Mind Mega Sableye, Sub DD Gyarados, and DD Heal Bell Mega Altaria are all lethal threats if given too much time to set up. Lastly, Cresselia is weak to a few different attacking types and should stay away from things like Tyranitar, Gengar, and Scizor, as they can deal heavy damage with their STABs. Knock Off, on top of dealing damage, will remove your Light Clay and shorten the duration of your screens, so avoid being hit by it.

Good Teammates: Thanks to the defensive buffs that Cresselia provides, frailer offensive Pokemon can be used more recklessly, allowing for more room to stay in and take hits, deal damage, and wear down defensive cores. As a result, any Pokemon that you would put onto a Hyper Offensive team is a reasonable teammate. Bonus points go to those able to check or counter some of the listed threats above. Mega Diancie makes for an excellent teammate, providing a stop to Mew, Talonflame, and Mega Sableye, while bouncing away Taunts and Defogs. Mamoswine makes for another good partner, as it can deal with Thundurus-I, set up Stealth Rocks, revenge kill weakened targets with Ice Shard, and threaten teams with it's STABs.

Any Additional Info: If you have problems with certain Pokemon shutting down or setting up on Cresselia, you can opt to remove Thunder Wave in order to run a specific coverage move, Ice Beam being the main choice. However, you lose the ability to slow down most threats, so you should carefully consider the effects this will have on your strategy to deal with them.

EVs can be customized on a per team basis. The above spread allows for minimized Stealth Rock damage, with enough bulk to survive two Crunches from Choice Band Tyranitar, assuming that Reflect is set up before the second one hits, while also letting you outspeed Scizor and Tyranitar (sic). You can, however, set up an EV spread to tank specific hits and outrun specific mons (and if you opt to run an attack, to hit a specific target).

Last edited:
Alright then, here's Mandibuzz

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers/ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
Bold Nature
Attack IVs: 0
248 HP/ 144 Def/ 116 SpDef
-Foul Play
-Roost
-Taunt/Whirlwind
-Defog/Taunt/Toxic

Role: Support, Hazard Removal

What it does: The biggest assets Mandibuzz brings to the Table are it's mixed bulk, and varied support movepool. One of the good things about what Mandibuzz does, is that it is fairly customizable. The first two moves are the only mandatory ones, Foul Play to smack physical attackers, and Roost to increase longevity. The other moves can be mixed and matched depending on your team. Taunt with defog shuts down opposing Hazard Setters, while Toxiccan be used in conjunction with taunt against stall pokemon not named M-Sableye. Whirlwind is also an option for Psudo-Hazing and racking up hazard damage. Similarly, whether leftovers or Rocky Helmet is chosen depends on whther you care more about increasing Mandibuzz's ability to weather attacks, or punishing opponents using contact moves. But in general, Mandibuzz's job is to come in an support her team, taking advantage of her natural bulk to stay in as long as possible.

Good Teammates:Even with it's pretty good bulk, Mandibuzz appreciates help with super-effective special attacks, and Fairy Types.Some Pokemon good for that purpose are Jirachi and Heatran. If Mandibuzz is not running defog, Excadrill also works to keep Mandibuzz from taking Stealth Rocks Damage

What Counters It: Like said above, it hates Super Effective Special Attackers that she can't dent with Foul Play, Like Greninja, Magnezone, Thunderus T, and Mega Manetric, and can't do that much to Fairy Types like Sylveon and Clefable. But just as bad are Faster Taunters and Toxickers that can shut her down and limit her to Foul Play or Switching. In particular, Mandibuzz should stay as far away from Sableye and Mega Sableye as Possible.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Facade

Role: Wallbreaker, Lure

What It Does: With Swords Dance, Breloom becomes a potent wallbreaker and a great lure, capable of bringing down some of OU's top defensive Pokemon. STAB Drain Punch also it to break past Chansey, Tyranitar and Ferrothorn while recovering its health in the process. Seed Bomb allows Breloom to KO Mega Slowbro, Rotom-Wash, Quagsire, Hippowdon and weaken Landorus-T. Facade gets a base power boost from Toxic Orb and is a great KO move against bulky Grass type Pokemon such as Mega Venusaur, Celebi, Chesnaught and Amoonguss.

Good Teammates: Pokemon that can handle Breloom's offensive checks such as Tyranitar pair well with Breloom. Pokemon that struggle to break through the aforementioned defensive Pokemon make good teammates as well for obvious reasons. Finally, Stealth Rock and Sticky Web support becomes invaluable, making Breloom much more difficult to handle.

What Counters It: Unaware Clefable ignores the Swords Dance boost and can retaliate with Moon Blast. Mega Sableye is also a reliable answer since it is immune to Drain Punch and Facade and can KO with Dazzling Gleam.

Any Additional Info: Breloom is too slow to sweep more offensive teams so it becomes difficult for it to setup. However, it can still hit hard against offensive Pokemon even at +0.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 96 HP / 120 Def / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Dark Void / Spore
- Magic Coat

Role: Hazard User, Support

What It Does: With the ability to learn any move in the game yes, even the coveted Splash Smeargle is the most diverse Pokemon in existence. However, this diversity is severely limited by its mediocre stat spread and less than desirable mono-Normal typing. Regardless, Smeargle has solidified its niche at being a very dangerous Lead Pokemon should the opponent fail to respond correctly. Sticky Web and Stealth Rock are great entry hazards as they slow down opponents and provide chip damage, respectively. Dark Void can place any type Pokemon under the Sleep condition but is less accurate than Spore. However, Spore is ineffective against Grass-types and this will prove problematic against Lead Breloom. Magic Coat is the final move that prevents Taunt users and faster Hazard users from defeating Smeargle.

Good Teammates: Slow yet powerful Sweepers are great partners that can fully take advantage of the hazards that Smeargle can utilize. Swords Dance Diggersby and Swords Dance Crawdaunt are some good examples of such Pokemon. Bisharp, Thundurus and Gengar are good too as they discourage Defog and prevent Rapid spin, respectively.

What Counters It: Magic Bounce Pokemon such as Espeon and Mega Sableye are straight up counters for Smeargle since its lack of offensive pressure makes it complete fodder.

Any Additional Info: Be creative! You can always mix and match this Smeargle to whatever your team needs most. The given set is just the most optimal in many situations.

- - - - - -

Reserving Life Orb Sharpedo
Leads with Taunt/Substitute, Mega Lopunny with Fake Out, and lead Mamoswine with Icicle Spear can beat lead Smeargle. Breloom will also win if Sleep Clause isn't activated and you don't have Dark Void.

If you don't lead with it, it requires hazards support to ensure that the Sash remains intact and it needs to come in after something dies or a free/double switch.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Role: Physical Wall/Pivot

What It Does: There are a lot of good sets for Rotom-W, but this is my favorite. This set is meant to make Rotom-W a full blown crippler of most physical attackers. It's a full blown counter to those powerful Flying types that are always around OU like Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, and Staraptor as it can take a couple hits, and then burn them and make them essentially useless for the rest of the match or take them out completely with Volt Switch or Hydro Pump. Also works against many common Pokemon, including the likes of Garchomp, Tyrantiar, Scizor, Landorus and some variants of Azumarill (Will O Wisp helps avoid a sweep from the Belly Drum set, but it still does a lot of damage). It is also a good pivot thanks to Volt Switch and thanks to Pain Split, won't miss its item too much if it gets hit with Knock Off, making it a good choice to switch in if Knock Off is predicted. Hydro Pump is really only there because it needs to be, and is usually the least used move in the set.

Good Teammates: A Pokemon that can take out the likes of Mega Venusaur like aforementioned Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, or Staraptor are all good teammates for Rotom-Wash. A special wall to soak up the special attacks that this set isn't built to take like Chansey could also be beneficial, as it can also throw a Toxic on special attackers, which will take them out a lot faster than a burn will. A Scarfed U-Turner is also beneficial as it helps to keep the momentum that Rotom-Wash could potentially set up with Volt Switch.

What Counters It: Mega Venusaur, Roserade and most other grass types are pretty good counters to this set of Rotom-W, as they are more specially oriented generally and have STAB that is super effective against it. The speedier versions of Exadrill, and other Pokemon with Mold Breaker Earthquake like Haxorus and Mega Gyarados also can beat Rotom-W before it can get off a Will O Wisp, especially later in the battle after it has been weakened a bit.

Any Additional Info: Probably the big thing that counters it is hax, as a missed Will-O-Wisp or Hydro Pump can turn the tide of the entire match against you.

First try, this is one of my favorite sets to use so I wanted to post.
The standard EVs should be 252 HP, 212 Defense, and 44 Speed. The Speed lets you beat uninvest Impish Lando-T and prevents Azumarill from Speed creeping. It should also be noted that Rotom-W isn't actually a wall, as its defenses aren't the best and it doesn't have the most reliable recovery.

Karxrida

Karxrida there was already a Rotom-W post before leanbean's post for that very set, which is why that post hasn't been updated.
Goddammit. Thanks for the info.

Also TaBuu I would consider slashing King's Shield with Sticky Web on the Smeargle set. It screws with Mega Lopunny and Lum Berry Garchomp, plus Sticky Web is very matchup reliant anyway.

Goddammit. Thanks for the info.

Also TaBuu I would consider slashing King's Shield with Sticky Web on the Smeargle set. It screws with Mega Lopunny and Lum Berry Garchomp, plus Sticky Web is very matchup reliant anyway.
Can you explain other benefit's of King's Shield that make it moveslot worthy? I just want enough justification to differentiate it from other moves that it can use.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can you explain other benefit's of King's Shield that make it moveslot worthy? I just want enough justification to differentiate it from other moves that it can use.
it can sharply lower mega lopunny's attack on the fake out turn, as sometimes it is used as a lead to get the mega right away. It also does the same to common u-turners.

it can sharply lower mega lopunny's attack on the fake out turn, as sometimes it is used as a lead to get the mega right away. It also does the same to common u-turners.
Mega Lopunny is one specific Pokemon in this case. While it is quite relevant in OU, I don't think it alone merits enough reason to slash in King's Shield. Considering the stiff competition for Mega slots, I find it hard for Smeargle's to be particularly troubled by Mega Lopunny. U-Turn users don't care about King Shield as they will switch out the next turn anyway, break the Sash and proceed to bring in a Pokemon that can KO Smeargle. The merits of Sticky Web (being able to hinder offensive teams) make it deserving of a slot and to be honest, I have yet to be convinced that King's Shield brings that same utility.

Karxrida

Mega Lopunny is one specific Pokemon in this case. While it is quite relevant in OU, I don't think it alone merits enough reason to slash in King's Shield. Considering the stiff competition for Mega slots, I find it hard for Smeargle's to be particularly troubled by Mega Lopunny. U-Turn users don't care about King Shield as they will switch out the next turn anyway, break the Sash and proceed to bring in a Pokemon that can KO Smeargle. The merits of Sticky Web (being able to hinder offensive teams) make it deserving of a slot and to be honest, I have yet to be convinced that King's Shield brings that same utility.
Sticky Web is still very matchup reliant, plus giving Bisharp a free +2 isn't exactly the smartest thing in the world when running frailer teams. Mega Lopunny is a very risk-free lead that beats Smeargle 100% of the time (costing you the Rocks offense desperately needs) and can even get to +2 if running SubPuP. King's Shield cripples Fake Out and lets you do your job without giving your opponent's lead a chance to kill half of your team.

Sticky Web is still very matchup reliant, plus giving Bisharp a free +2 isn't exactly the smartest thing in the world when running frailer teams. Mega Lopunny is a very risk-free lead that beats Smeargle 100% of the time (costing you the Rocks offense desperately needs) and can even get to +2 if running SubPuP. King's Shield cripples Fake Out and lets you do your job without giving your opponent's lead a chance to kill half of your team.
I'll give King Shield the slash.

Hurray, I was beginning to think that this thread had been forgotten!
Anyway, I believe we still need sets for a lot of the B- ranked mons and under. From the B- and C+ ranks, I believe Omastar, Magneton, Tangrowth, Doublade, Gastrodon, Mega Medicham and Wobbuffet are missing descriptions. Plus, as always, if there's a set that hasn't been written up for a mon you're always free to write it up even if we already have a different set for it.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Uh I can work on Mega Medicham. I think someone and this would be fine me as well should do a more defensive spread for Chesnaught. That set is ok but there's a big drop in defense compared to an actual physical wall set.

Reserving Mega Medicham

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Zen Headbutt
- Hi Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch / Thunder Punch / Bullet Punch

Role: Wall Breaker

What it Does: It breaks walls (._.). No seriously Zen Headbutt is STAB to hit stuff like Clefable and Sylveon for 2HKOs, Hi Jump Kick is STAB that demolishes those weak to it and 2HKOs even some resists like the Lati Twins, Fake Out is to give it a better match-up against offense while getting chip damage, Ice Punch allows it to hit break mons such as Defensive Gliscor and Lando-T more easily, Thunderpunch to break bulky waters like Reflect Type Starmie and Slowbro, Bullet Punch for priority to pick off weakened targets.

Good Teammates: Cleaners and other wall-breakers such as Thundurus, Gengar, Bisharp, and Lando-I to help handle some of the issues M-Cham has which include various bulky Water types like Slowbro, Psychic types like Cresselia, and some counters to it such as Doublade. Revenge killers such as Scarf Lando-T and Weavile to help with its matchup against offense can provide M-Medicham some relief against this archetype. Ghost and Flying Resists such as Diggersby and Rotom-W to provide a buffer for users of these moves.

What Counters it?: Cofagrigus, Doublade, and M-Sableye are pretty much the counters to it. General offense that includes strong threats such as Gengar, Talonflame, and most threats that fall above its speed tier are checks that can KO M-Cham flat outright or put extreme damage on it due to its frailty.

Any Additional Info: Zen Headbutt, Drain Punch, Substitue, Baton Pass is another variation that provides Substitutes to partners and provides a buffer for status moves.

Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)