Kabutops @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- Flail
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge / Knock Off

And there it is. The monster that dropped to NU a little while ago. Outside of the rain sweeper roll that Kabutops tends to cover, I found another set that makes Kabutops an extremely big threat in this tier. With the solid stats being 60 HP, 115 Atk, 105 Def, 65 SpA, 70 SpDef and a solid 80 Speed. Yes, I do realize somebody made this up before I did, but I also did. So shut up :]

I'll just a quick summary on the set, item and ability. Just like I said last time I said this, and turned out to be longer than expected.
Anyways here are the moves.
The first move on this set will be Endure, which will make sure you live with at least 1 HP, after being hit. This also gives you an opportunity to active your item which is Weakness Policy. For those of you who don´t know what Weakness Policy does, it sharply raises Attack and Special Attack if you're hit by a super effective move. Which is great so you don't have to waste a turn using Swords Dance and risking the chance of dying. Endure also helps with the next move which is going to be Flail. Flail is a very interesting move which does more damage the lower your HP is. At 1% of your health it will have max damage which is 200 Base Power. Which is basically an Explosion without dying. Just make sure your HP is at 1% to make this work efficiently. The third move will be Aqua jet, for some useful priority. A STAB priority move will be great considering you're weak to priority moves if your HP is at 1%. The last move will be Stone Edge. Stone Edge is just a very solid Rock type STAB move. This will put massive damage on any pokemon that does not resist it. Knock Off could be considered to hit the bulky Ghost types, such as Dusclops and Gourgeist, for Super Effective damage and removing their items.

This set is very good and should not be slept on. With a little bit of team support this set will wreck the entire tier. Support from Sticky Web and Hazards are greatly appreciated to slow down the opponents pokemon and get some damage with the entry hazards.

I will leave some calcs at the bottom of this page to show you the raw power of Flail. Hopefully you'll give this set a try.

- Kasumi

+2 252+ Atk Kabutops Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 351-413 (99.1 - 116.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Kabutops Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 379-446 (91.5 - 107.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Kabutops Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Granbull: 289-341 (75.2 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Kabutops Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 278-328 (83.2 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Kabutops Flail (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 225+ Def Eviolite Togetic: 239-282 (76.3 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I tried a similar set but instead I put hp fire on the last slot so you can get past a weakened ferroseed without dying to iron barbs

Politoed @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

So this is a cool Politoad set I've been using in both PU and NU. I feel like this is a really under rated mon that can really do lots of work in the NU tier. This set allows it to be a switch in to both Typhlosion and Ice Punch Feraligatr. (Calcs below)

Politoads natural bulk, good typing, and nice ability really go unnoticed in both the NU and PU meta, so I thought I'd whip out this cool set and give it some of the love it needs!

+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Politoed: 98-115 (25.5 - 29.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 SpA Typhlosion Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Politoed: 78-94 (20.3 - 24.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Politoed: 116-138 (30.2 - 35.9%) -- 40.5% chance to 3HKO

Meowstic-M @ Light Clay
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Energy Ball

Behold the face of NU hyper offense! But seriously, Prankster with Dual Screens is such an effective tactic. It really doesn't matter what your opponent leads with; just setup the appropriate screen and tank hits for days:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magmortar Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Meowstic through Light Screen: 140-165 (39.7 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Meowstic through Reflect: 101-120 (28.6 - 34%) -- 1.7% chance to 3HKO

Once you've got your screens up you're free to setup with basically anything you want. My favorite mon for this is Gorebyss as you can SmashPass, Substitute on predicted status moves and basically sweep from there. Other partners that work well are CM Xatu with Colbur Berry (also punishes stuff like Ferroseed that think they can setup on Meowstic), Klinklang, Lilligant, Slurpuff, Feraligatr, SubCM Uxie (the bulk behind screens is unreal!)... and many others.

But that's not all: Meowstic has another trick up its sleeve! Just like Thundurus in OU, Meowstic functions like a reliable check to any setup sweeper with Prankster Thunder Wave. This means that even when opponents setup alongside you you'll still be able to revenge kill them easily after you get your screens up. It also makes it so that Meowstic is never dead weight; even at as little as 1 HP Meowstic can still cripple something for the rest of the game, or get up one final screen for another 8 turns.

Finally you have Energy Ball for common SR leads like Seismitoad and Rhydon; you can catch them off guard easily and heavily weaken them so another mon (like Typhlosion) can do a lot of work later. It also synergizes with T-Wave as you can hit Ground-types super-effectively. Be sure to give Meowstic a try, it will never disappoint you!

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
screens meowstic is alright, but I strongly prefer uxie because it still has fantastic speed in addition to screens, stealth rock, and memento to help something set up really easily. it's pretty well known now that I use this set on smashpass, and it makes setup with gorebyss inevitable unless they manage to bring out scarf rotom on the memento and trick a scarf or have a taunt/haze pokemon. whirlwind doesn't work because you pair it with xatu, and dragon tail doesn't work because you can just sub and it won't break behind screens (barring maybe zweilous's dragon tail? haven't run calcs). anyways, uxie is fantastic at that same role, and I personally prefer it far over meowstic because of memento, which keeps you from having to switch directly into your offensive pokemon. prankster screens are really nice though.

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Hyper Voice
- Roar

Pyroar, as many NU players know it, aside from being the fastest fire type in the tier (at least I believe it is), does not exactly have 4MSS. In fact, it struggles to actually find a usable and useful move for its fourth slot. Some give it dark pulse to finish off a ghost or psychic type more easily, some give the LO versions like this one will-o-wisp to cripple switch ins, or you could even give it flamethrower to be sure to hit/overheat to max out one-turn damage.
However, as I was running spikes garbodor alongside it, I thought I'd try to find a way to capitalize on the switch ins it forces and shuffle its switch-ins in order to weaken them. This allows pyroar to support itself. It is in no way a phazer, in that it uses roar on a (preferably obvious) predicted switch, whereas phazers on bulkier teams use such moves to get rid of boosted sweepers as well as racking up hazards damage.

So could you guys tell me what you think about this little twist ?
Also first post after having read on the Smogon forums for more than a year yaaaay!

I actually came across this idea on a french competitive website which had a really cool "Roarorber" Mamoswine set which had the same purpose. But let's pretend I created this right ?

Last edited:

Leafeon @ Watmel Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Natural Gift

Not sure if it's been mentioned as I've not gone through the entire thread but I'm particularly fond of this Leafeon set. Beats alot of things after an SD. Kills Vileplume most of the time after and SD and rocks. Kills Ferroseed after an SD and can take a neutral acrobatics from Sceptile and OHKO with Natural Gift. Alternatively you could run Occa berry for fire resistance coupled with the fire coverage but it doesnt kill Vileplume. Just wanted to make this post as a way to become more active on the forums.

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Kangaskhan (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Fake Out
- Fire Punch
- Aqua Tail

A pretty fun Kangaskhan set that I have been using lately. Lures Ferroseed AND Rhydon (can also KO Archeops with Fake Out + Aqua Tail too!) for its teammates. Fire Punch still hits other Steel-types for a good amount too. Unfortunately, there's no space for Sucker Punch, but if you are using this set you should focus on luring threats to open up the way for the rest of your team and let another Pokemon deal with revenge killing. Works well with Feraligatr, Birds, Rotom, anything that enjoys Rhydon, Archeops, and Ferroseed weakened / dead. Silk Scarf can be used too, but I like the Leftovers recovery since it allows Kangaskhan to switch into stuff and to do some hit & run Fake Out spam to recover health :)

sorry if I wrote this with the worst grammar ever I just wanted to share this :pirate:

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Toxic
- Moonlight
- Baton Pass

Mushy needs more love, my kee berry set still works well in ORAS but this set also finds a certan niche. Mushy's special defencive capacity is pretty underated probably because it's always been a physical wall and because it doesn't resist much on the special side. The thing is, mushy special defence is so high, you don't need to resist much especially since you won't be losing leftovers cause you're not switching in on anything that knocks off. Psychic typing also comes with only 3 weaknesses which are pretty uncommon on the special side in NU meaning mainly extreme stuff like specs eruption will fully wallbreak it.
A good special defence, reliable recovery, toxic and a decent attacking move are unfortunately not enough to make a wall viable in these metas that just get more and more offensive, but mushy has more! An extremly slow baton pass can really put momentum back on your side after you've switch'd in on many other walls such as weezing. Whatever happens, you still come out on top since attacking mush won't do shit, status will be shared with synchronize (which is also great when coming in on scald/ lava plume/ discharge) and switching out will just put you back in a good position when you put in a proper counter to his mushy counter.

For teammates, I recommend a good physical wall that backs mushy's weaknesses or sets up hazards so you win the switching game (weezing, garbo, granbull). Strong Edgequakers like rhydon are also nice since so many commmon physical walls don't resist ground except for weezing which mushy counters completely. Something to tank or prevent typhlosion to blast a specs eruption as well as something to switch in on klinklang, ferroseed, steelix and xatu is also suggested.

Couple of calcs (forgot lefites on some but I'm lazy)

252 SpA Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Musharna: 162-192 (37.1 - 44%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Musharna: 213-252 (48.8 - 57.7%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Musharna: 187-220 (42.8 - 50.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

(Mega pidgeot isn't available on damage calculator yet but this does the same damage)
252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Musharna: 138-163 (31.6 - 37.3%) -- 87.1% chance to 3HKO

Last edited:
Lapras @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Avalanche/ Waterfall

With great bulk for the tier (130/80/95) and a physical attack equal to it's more favored special attack (85), Lapras can make for a surprisingly good physical "Crocune" with the added benefit of removing one of the set's greatest counters, the random Crit. Avalanche is preferred for the Synergy between it's negative priority not mattering due to the speed drops from curse, not being walled entirely by Water immune Pokemon and higher potential damage though Waterfall is more consistent and is better in situations where you have to attack before boosts.

Crustle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash

Hermit crab at you again. Standard hazard setter for HO except with a twist. Shell smash helps it get past against teams who rely on Xatu for their hazard control. Mental Herb helps against Lead Archeops who taunt you. You can then Shell smash while they taunt and then do whatever the hell you want. If they don't taunt, you have at least 2 hazards one the opponent side.One of the few leads that gets past Lead Archeops that's so popular right now.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Jynx @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin/Oblivious
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast/Psychic
- Energy Ball

Jynx has been one of my favorite pokes in NU last 2 generations (RIP Mud Slap Shuckle), and in ORAS it still works marvels. It is a great anti-lead poke as it has a great matchup against standard leads. Oblivious can be used over dry skin because pokes will be hesitant to use water moves against jynx, and can potentially let you beat taunt lead archeops if you don't miss lovely kiss. Ice typing is still a powerful attacking type and you will most likely spam ice beam 90% of the time. Focus blast is most likely preferable over stab psychic, as most pokes barring stuff like qwilfish get hit hard enough with ice beam, and focus blast allows you to almost always ohko mega glalie without rocks, and allows you to kill mega-steelix with focus blast + ice beam (2 ice beams cannot kill max hp mega steelix). Focus blast is focus blast though so use it at your own risk. Energy Ball is there to destroy seismitoad and hit feraligatr really hard.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The ONLY Mega Camerupt:

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock / Sheer Force
248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
Flame Charge / Curse / Rest / Sleep Talk

I was teambuilding last night, and I wanted to use something funny. This set is actually really strong. SpDef Mega Camerupt checks tons of shit, including Rotom, Fire-types, and, thanks to Sleep Talk, Lilligant. But if you're running RestTalk Mega Camerupt, you want it to do something. Curse lets you set up and clean through defensive teams that can't break you with a boost. It's good against offense too. Camerupt lures the shit out of Water-types, which helps you weaken and kill them early on so that you can clean with Camerupt later.

Flame Charge is pretty ass, but there's like two Pokemon in NU immune to Fire compared to the millions of Ground immunities, and Camerupt doesn't get any better physical Fire STAB. With Sheer Force and STAB, it's roughly 100 Base Power, so it's not that weak anyways, and at +6, you 2HKO max Defense Mega Audino.

Basically, lure and eliminate Water-types, set up, and win. \
/

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
The ONLY Mega Camerupt:

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock / Sheer Force
248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
Flame Charge / Curse / Rest / Sleep Talk

I was teambuilding last night, and I wanted to use something funny. This set is actually really strong. SpDef Mega Camerupt checks tons of shit, including Rotom, Fire-types, and, thanks to Sleep Talk, Lilligant. But if you're running RestTalk Mega Camerupt, you want it to do something. Curse lets you set up and clean through defensive teams that can't break you with a boost. It's good against offense too. Camerupt lures the shit out of Water-types, which helps you weaken and kill them early on so that you can clean with Camerupt later.

Flame Charge is pretty ass, but there's like two Pokemon in NU immune to Fire compared to the millions of Ground immunities, and Camerupt doesn't get any better physical Fire STAB. With Sheer Force and STAB, it's roughly 100 Base Power, so it's not that weak anyways, and at +6, you 2HKO max Defense Mega Audino.

Basically, lure and eliminate Water-types, set up, and win. \
/
Camel get Iron Head and that hit harder than Flame Charge even after STAB anyway :[ Nothing is immune to it either. Only reason to do Flame Charge over Iron head is if you really hate Klinklang and Grass types.

tl;dr: Iron Head hits harder than STAB Flame Charge unless it's a weakness. I don't care Steel sucks offensively :[

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Fire]

this set is a midpoint between calm mind mesprit and standard calm mind uxie. psyshock and dazzling gleam are obviously required in this metagame and hidden power fire covers steel-types. if you want more longevity you can replace something with giga drain. after a boost it does 40.6 - 48% to 252 hp mega steelix and is still decently bulky

Seismitoad @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Bomb

fairly prediction heavy but it's a great lure for various water- and grass-types, including standard vileplume which is cleanly 2hkoed

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Serperior @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Overgrow
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Aqua Tail
- Knock Off

This is more underrated than anything, since this is what you'd expect from a Swords Dance Serperior anyway. However, SD Serperior has improved in the newer meta shifts. The meta has gotten faster, but Serperior has remained ahead of the curve and has a very useful speed tier. Serperior's main problem has always been its inability to deal damage quickly as well as coverage restraints, as evidenced by the more well-known Calm Mind variants. Swords Dance solves that in a big way, and no longer receives competition from Sceptile who has gone places. Its physical coverage is also very respectable, especially Aqua Tail to smack Fire-types, and is usable over the stronger and physically bulkier Leafeon due to outspeeding said Fire-types.

It's a bit riskier to set up with than the Calm Mind variant due to the lack of passive healing in Giga Drain, although if you really want a bulky booster with recovery, Lilligant is probably the better choice, and the dancing flower is currently a top meta threat, making Calm Mind Serperior very lackluster in comparison. I might even go as far to say this is Serperior's best shot at the metagame. It does have many issues with bulky Grass-types and Poison-types (Knock Off does threaten Exeggutor though), but good partners such as Mega Camerupt can help fix that. The Specs Seismitoad that FLCL posted above also does a nice job at luring out Grass-types for a pounding.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Camel get Iron Head and that hit harder than Flame Charge even after STAB anyway :[ Nothing is immune to it either. Only reason to do Flame Charge over Iron head is if you really hate Klinklang and Grass types.

tl;dr: Iron Head hits harder than STAB Flame Charge unless it's a weakness. I don't care Steel sucks offensively :[
late, but you need the Fire STAB to be able to check Klinklang and Grass-types better, otherwise M-Camerupt can't beat them which is a huge waste of a bulky spread

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 248 HP / 124 SpD / 136 Spe
Careful Nature

- Knock Off
- Psycho Cut
- Superpower
- Substitute

Basically when I looked at Malamar's movepool, I saw three moves that had to be on there (the first 3 on this set), but a gaping hole for that 4th slot. So I figured, why not use Substitute? There are certainly more than enough pokemon that Malamar can set up on and I don't want to have to run Resttalk if I don't have to. Now that Spiritomb is out of NU (who would completely wreck this set with Infiltrator WoW), Malamar has the chance to become a decent setup sweeper. EVs outspeed Pangoro and I figured more attack and speed is better than HP and special defense in testing. Obviously this Malamar hates status if not under a sub, so pairing it up with Heal Bell mons and grounded Poison- types is a good idea.

See Punch's post for the EV explanation!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-195503135 (idk if this shows anything but it's a replay of it in action)

Last edited:

Punchshroom

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Psycho Cut
- Superpower
- Substitute

Basically when I looked at Malamar's movepool, I saw three moves that had to be on there (the first 3 on this set), but a gaping hole for that 4th slot. So I figured, why not use Substitute? There are certainly more than enough pokemon that Malamar can set up on and I don't want to have to run Resttalk if I don't have to. Now that Spiritomb is out of NU (who would completely wreck this set with Infiltrator WoW), Malamar has the chance to become a decent setup sweeper. EVs outspeed Pangoro and I figured more attack and speed is better than HP and special defense in testing. Obviously this Malamar hates status if not under a sub, so pairing it up with Heal Bell mons and grounded Poison- types is a good idea.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-195503135 (idk if this shows anything but it's a replay of it in action)
I can get behind the concept of Substitute, as it blocks moves such as Leech Seed and Clear Smog that RestTalk cannot. However, the lack of bulk investment means that the Substitute won't be able to withstand weaker attacks such as Scald, meaning you lose quite a lot of setup opportunities against targets that RestTalk Malamar would have no trouble against. A alternative spread of 248 HP / 124 SpD / 136 Spe @ Careful gives you just enough speed to outrun Adamant Panda and just enough bulk for its Substitutes to survive Seismitoad's (and by extenstion, Lanturn's and Mantine's) Scald, as well as reducing Weezing's chances of breaking the Sub with Sludge Bomb to ~7/16, aka less than 50%. Meanwile, you lose the ability to OHKO max HP Panda with +1 Superpower, but max HP Pandas are uncommon and you can still OHKO 4 HP Pangoro with +1 Superpower 3/8 of the time, and since you outspeed, Panda's attacks should bounce off +2 Malamar at that point.

Last edited:

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magnet Rise
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch
- Power Gem

Since MSteelix is such a big thing in NU, some teams would just like to get rid of the thing. That is where Steel Mario comes into play. Steelix usually doesn't mind Probo too much thanks to EQ, but Magnet Rise gives you free reign to simply beat it up and get rid of it without much trouble. The set is very customizable, you have 2 slots to beat Steelix and then 2 moves to do other stuff (pivoting, beating Ferro, taunting resttalk steelix, having a stab move). EV investment is to outspeed max speed adamant steelix because I'm paranoid after Realistic Waters bopped me with his Megalix. Shoutouts to Oshony PokeGod for getting me on board with the idea.

Ideal teammates are obviously things that don't like Steelix - Swellow and Scyther immediately come to mind.

Punchshroom

Aladyyn I'm pretty sure I also brought up Magnet Rise Probopass, and you don't even have Hidden Power Fire / Taunt on that thing to stop Ferroseed smh.

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonlight
- Moonblast / Worry Seed

For teams that worry about Malamar, particularly bulkier balance teams, this Vileplume makes for a fine Malamar response that doesn't kill offensive momentum like Granbull, Haze Weezing, Togetic, and especially Colbur Gourgeist do.

4 SpA Vileplume Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 130-154 (34.5 - 40.9%) -- 60.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+3 4 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 195-231 (55 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+3 4 Atk Malamar Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 132-156 (37.2 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Moonblast is the more conventional option, as it can greatly put pressure on Malamar while still having considerable use against the Fighting-type it walls, most notably Hariyama which it would struggle to even 4HKO otherwise. While Malamar can potentially get the upper hand by boosting to +3 and (has a chance to) 2HKO Vileplume with Knock Off, but it is easier said than done since Malamar needs to Superpower 3 times unhindered against Vileplume. That can very easily be disrupted by Effect Spore hax or Sleep Talk choosing moves unreliably, plus Knocking Off Vileplume too early effectively kills much of any chances Malamar would have of bypassing Plume. The Knock Off doesn't even have to come from Malamar either, as its Fighting-type teammate may very well contribute to Malamar's defeat by mindlessly spamming Knock Off early-game too. If you do run Moonblast, make sure you have solid anti-Poison and anti-Steel support handy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+2 4 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 157-186 (44.3 - 52.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 4 Atk Malamar Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 105-124 (29.6 - 35%) -- 15.3% chance to 3HKO

For those of you more interested in utterly screwing over Malamar in particular, Worry Seed does 2 things for you. One, it shuts off Contrary and renders Superpower not only useless, but even counterproductive, all but ensuring Malamar won't get past +2 against Vileplume and leaving Plume out of 2HKO range. Second, it prevents Rest from Malamar, meaning it won't be able to heal off any damage sustained from Plume. Of course the effects of Worry Seed can be undone by switching out, but fact of the matter is that RestTalk Malamar is not beating Worry Seed Vileplume any time soon. Outside of Malamar, Worry Seed can be extremely crucial for beating Cro-Mega Audino, and is also funny for preventing Mega Camerupt from Resting in its face. Aside from that, there aren't a whole lot of Pokemon reliant on their abilities / Rest that Vileplume can immediately deal with with the help of Worry Seed; just don't Worry Seed and Archeops switch-in o something D:. Basically, Worry Seed functions as an "anti-Cro" move.

(P.S. A Substitute variant of Malamar with Psycho Cut can pretty much beat this Vileplume flat, though).

underrated set rite here

Sliggoo @Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
Evs: 248 HP / 12 Atk / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Outrage
- Curse

remember crocune? of course you do its been sweeping ppl for the last 10 years. come in and use many grass and electric types as setup fodder, as well as some passive walls. Not very effective against offensive teams. A nice wall and win con.
NOTE: Steelix and Audino/Togetic must be removed before attempting to sweep. Ferroseed must be previously burned/removed as well.
**Does not have to worry about worry seed vileplume (visit above posts)

Haven't seen an Emolga set yet so here it is:

Emolga @ Choice Band
Ability: Static
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Wild Charge
-Knock Off
-Aerial Ace
-U-Turn

ok you guys want a lord set well here it is

Miltank @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy/Sap Sipper/Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Fire Punch
- Milk Drink

alright m8s so this set is fairly simple and very effective. life orb makes miltank surprisingly strong and can surprise a lot of teams as they usually expect a curse set or just a standard defensive tank. the ability is up to choice, i prefer scrappy to surprise the hell out of rotom and mismagius, through sap sipper and thick fat definitely has uses. power-up punch and return are mandatory moves while fire punch lets you kill ferroseed. milk drink is what sets it apart from kangaskhan giving it reliable recovery and due to miltank's natural bulk you can usually get milk drink off pretty safely. imo very fun and very effective set would recommend trying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)