Player of the Week 18: marilli

Status
Not open for further replies.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

marilli
aka amarillo

vs marilli

favorite pokemon: Latias
most used pokemon: Gorebyss
most known for: Building troll teams?
xzern: So tell me, marilli/amarillo, why is your name what it is/was?
marilli: I suppose I should cover my name change here as well. When I was little my place didn't have a TV so my main Pokemon media of choice was the comics, so that's where Amarillo came from.

When I recently came back from the hiatus I was already planning a name change. I realized the downsides of naming yourself after a preexisting character. One of them is that there'll be other people with the same handle as you! I found about the PO/NB namesake while I was inactive, so I just took the opportunity to get a name change.

xzern: Favorite type of pokemon? (Normal, Fairy, Bird, etc.)
marilli: Electric types are pretty cool design-wise, favorite competitive type would probably be Water just because it's so good. Also they have lots of cutemons =o

xzern: Favorite team archetype?
marilli: Hyper offense is the most fun playstyle. I love how some mons can just ooze momentum by existing, and I love playing with fire by using frail offensive mons just relying on the momentum. Unfortunately, this isn’t quite consistent enough. I guess Volt-Turn is a more competitive approach to a momentum based teams, which I also really like.

xzern: How did you come to competitive battling/Smogon?
marilli: I found out about Smogon through its analyses. But I didn't get into competitive battling for a while after I found about Smogon. I was mostly trolling around on the simulator, trying to use Baton Pass chains so that I can safely get Harden / String Shot Shedinja without getting killed, or trying to get my dorm IP banned, etc. I guess I started to tryhard a bit more when I found about NU.

xzern: What's your favorite part of NU?
marilli: Probably the community. I remember BW2 #neverused being the most active irc channels of the time. It's also the reason why I came back to play NU over other stuff. It's pretty fun being part of this community!

xzern: If you could ban or unban one thing from NU, what would it be/why?
marilli: I haven't seen the Sigilyph meta, and it doesn't seem like it's too broken atm, so that could be interesting.

xzern: NU player you most admire?
marilli: I wouldn't say I admire anyone, but I really respect the succesful tourney players like CBB, FLCL, etc. I also respect people like Raseri who's just nice to be around!

xzern: Do you have any advice for people new to NU?
marilli: Be active, post on the forums, come to IRC, get involved, etc. You don't have to be one of the best tourney players just to take part in the community and be a nice presence.

xzern: Could you give me something like a mini RMT to conclude the interview, one that demonstrates your teambuilding strategies?
marilli:http://hastebin.com/qononugonu.md
I didn't have a lot of time to make a new team after the bans because of finals, so this mediocre team will have to do for now. It's a fun themed team, though. We have a little bit of volt turn, bit of wallbreaking, and a lot of speed and priorit. It's really weak to SR though which was why I added the prinplup. It's also slightly Hariyama weak so maybe I should use low kick over icicle crash.

Feel free to ask marilli any questions in the thread below and he will probably answer them.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Lo yeah, mushy and alomomola were a huge bitch in bw2 nu. Assault vest Armaldo or torkoal?
I'd say Assvest Armaldo because Torkoal can be at least somewhat useful if you were running something else, but Armaldo is so useless however you cut it so it's not like you're ruining it by running assvest on it.

Why did you die?
What brought you back?
Thoughts on Pikachu cosplay formes?
I died because I was wasting too much time on teh video games

I came back because I was 'wasting' more time on reddit and playing lol anyways. I was still wasting equal amount of time whether I were playing mons or not... so basically I wasn't wasting time because I was playing mons, I was wasting time because I was wasting time. I realized I could play mons without failing and it's also possible to fail without playing mons. I made an excuse by saying I was only doing bad because I was playing mons, and I'd start not failing the moment I quit mons. Which wasn't the case. I needed to fix my mentality on schoolwork and try hard at school, not quit mons.

I no longer can devote as much time as I did before, but I'd also like to think I'm not failing any of my classes anymore.

Pikachu Belle is the cutest

AMARILLOOOOOO

why marilli i totally didnt realize it was you till 5 days ago lol
me or dat blast
opinions on the true lord that is SD JUMPLUFF
favorite underrated mon atm
best BURD

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Can't believe it's already been two years since Too Many Mices, time goes fast ... Also hi! long time no see!

I have always wondered why it was Amarillo instead of Yellow (because it's Yellow on the english version of the manga right? maybe im getting this wrong idk u.u')

Also BW1 NU or ORAS NU? (BW2 NU was meh). I was thinking about coming back to playing NU, any advice about the metagame?

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
AMARILLOOOOOO

why marilli i totally didnt realize it was you till 5 days ago lol
me or dat blast
opinions on the true lord that is SD JUMPLUFF
favorite underrated mon atm
best BURD
I dunno I'm bad at coming up with names

Well i can't make another name change anymore so I'll have to stick with this one lol!

u bby ofc

I used that team it actually is pretty good as long as you land your sleep powder when you have to

Favorite underrated mon right now I'd say malamar that thing is slippin under the radar probably because pangoro but psychic stab =)

Archeops is cute

Can't believe it's already been two years since Too Many Mices, time goes fast ... Also hi! long time no see!

I have always wondered why it was Amarillo instead of Yellow (because it's Yellow on the english version of the manga right? maybe im getting this wrong idk u.u')

Also BW1 NU or ORAS NU? (BW2 NU was meh). I was thinking about coming back to playing NU, any advice about the metagame?
hiya =)

English isn't my first language =o

In my memory bw1 feels better, probably biased because old memories feel better than it were, I could compare by playing again but meh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)