Altaria(QC Accepted 0/3)(QC Rejected 3/3) ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's a ball of fluff.
This is my first analysis, so please help as much as possible. Thank you in advance.
Overview
########
  • Good check to ygod/Palkia/Zekrom
  • Very nice typing
  • Premevo typing means it can't switch in to threats that it is supposed to check,
  • immune to pdon's primary stab pre mevo
  • Gets access to heal bell, and some other utility moves
  • Pixillate means it has powerful attacks.
  • Can run special and physical sets.
  • Physical is kinda outclassed by mega-mence.

Bulky dragon dance
########
name: Bulky dragon dance
move 1:Dragon Dance
move 2:Roost
move 3:Return/Double Edge/Body Slam
move 4:Heal bell/Earthquake
ability:Natural Cure
item:Altarianite
evs: 248 HP / 152 SpD / 108 Spe
nature:Careful

Moves
========

• Mence is better at offensive ddance, so don't do that
  • Use to check stuff throughout the game, then hopefully sweep
  • Dragon dance is for boosting
  • Roost is for recovery
  • return/double edge is preference and stab
  • Body slam is to deter pdon/xern switchins, but u lose a bit of power
  • Heal bell=cleric+sweeper rolled into one
  • Earthquake is for breaking past things that might wall you, and makes pdon a switchin that can be worn down.
  • Last move can be based on team's needs. There are probably better options
Set Details
========
  • Avoids the 2hko from zekrom's bolt strike after rocks
  • Even with max investment, ygod still has a 0.4% chance to 2hko with oblivion wing after rocks, but u 1hko it after rocks.
  • Palkia is pretty much hard walled, even toxic/twave can be cured.
Usage Tips
========

• Switching in premevo is very dangerous, so try and get it a free switch
  • Sometimes, not Mega evolving can be helpful to play mind games with pdon.
  • Aim is to setup as much as possible, then sweep. +1 generally isn't enough to take on a well built balance/stall team.
  • Outspeeds modest scarf xern at +2
Team Options
========

• Things that take on it's counters, and things that like it's help.
  • Many arceus formes can burn you/KO you, so Gothitelle is always helpful
  • Primal don is a big threat, so stuff that take care of it, like groundceus,lugia, giratina-o
  • Double dragon can work, but is outclassed by mega-mence
  • U-turn/Volt switch can help you get a free switch to Mega evolve
  • Other sweepers can help a lot.

Bulky Cleric
########
name: Bulky Cleric
move 1:Heal bell
move 2:Return/Draco Meteor
move 3:Roost
move 4:Roar/Toxic/Earthquake/Draco Meteor
ability: Natural Cure
item: Altarianite
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
nature:Careful

Moves
========

• Heal bell is for cleric support
  • Return is so you aren't taunt fodder
  • Roost for recovery
  • Last move is preference
  • Toxic helps wear down walls, Roar is for phazing
  • Great against darks and some dragons( dialga can 1hko with flash cannon, but palkia is pretty much hard walled)
  • Draco+roar ensure that u aren't complete set-up bait, but toxic also can put sweepers on a timer.
  • Earthquake hits Mgar,PDon and megagross
Set Details
========

• Will not be 2hkoed by Zekrom after SR
  • Walls Palkia like a champ, u even have heal bell for status.
  • Ygod is a bit more difficult, but u still manage to wall it after rocks, barring the 0.4% chance that it will 2hko
  • You can take a return after rocks from mega mence,then have a 75%chance to ko with return(draco is a guaranteed 1hko after rocks.
  • Return 2hkos xern after rocks, so it can't switch in, without taking a chunk of damage.
  • You do alright against Lati@s, but don't rely on this to be the only check/counter
  • It is cool on stall, since darkceus gets 2hkoed, and judgement fails to 3hko, even with rocks.
  • Offensive dialga rips you to shreds, but defensive can't don much to you
  • Blaziken can't setup on you safely, which is nice.
Usage Tips
========

• Try and mega-evolve early to check things like krom/palkia/ygod
  • Since you are pretty much hard walling palkia and krom, feel free to switch in aggressively against them. Be a bit more cautious of ygod though.
  • U-turn/Volt switch can help you get a free switch to Mega evolve
Team Options
========

• Make sure you have a way to deal with Shadow tag, pursuiters are good, since altaria is very gar weak.
  • Stuff to take on fairies is nice, ho-oh,pdon and heatran are all good options, the former two really appreciate cleric support.
  • Defoggers/Spinners are always cool.
  • Steel types are annoying, but there aren't many relevant.
  • Pokeimon that appreciate cleric support will love this, especially those on balance/ offensive teams.

Other Options
########

• Specially attacking set
  • Specially attacking set with agility?
  • Perish song
  • Tailwind support
  • Sing(really bad accuracy though)

Checks & Counters
########

• Fire types(they wall it, and tend to have moves that it hates) e.g Ho-oh,Primal don,Heatran
  • Steel types e.g Jirachi,Genesect, Dialga(offensive)
  • Posion types Poison arceus
  • Arceus formes can usually take a hit then burn it, but it can refresh/heal bell
  • Faster, Hard hitting mons take on the cleric set(e.g ray can use Dragon ascent) but against the Dragon dance set, it can turn the tables on them

Last edited:

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
You say that it is outclassed by Salamence as an offensive Dragon Dancer yet you have an almost fully offensive EV spread. I would say that bulky Dragon Dance is the thing that differentiates it from Salamence as Altaria can simultaneously wall Palkia, Yveltal and Zekrom whilst providing cleric support with Heal Bell, things that Salamence cannot do.

On defensive sets I think you should trial Draco Meteor as it lets you blast Primal Groudon. Earthquake lets you hit Gengar and Primal Groudon too.

Youre gonna need to emphasize how evolving Altaria is very important, pivoting through your Pokemon so that Altaria doesnt take a Spacial Rend or an Outrage.

Finally, you can play games with Primal Groudon by staggering your mega evolution, you are either immune to Earthquake or Dragon Claw and can damage it with Draco or EQ.

Altaria also learns Body Slam, which deters Xerneas and offensive Primal Groudon from switching in. Altatia isnt really Geomancy bait either as Pixilate Fairy Aura Return / Body Slam / Double Edgr will do a lot.

Can people stop taking my mons, first ApplepieFTW takes Arceus Ground and now you take Mega Cotton Bus~

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, I think this should be these should be the sets that we use:

Dragon Dance
########
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Roost
move 3: Body Slam
move 4: Heal Bell
ability: Natural Cure -> Pixilate
evs: 248 HP / 152 SpD / 108 Spe
nature: Careful

This set kind of acts like the XY bulky Fairies (minus Wish) that could act as clerics, but has the potential to be a pretty cool mono-attacker pressures stall teams. Heal Bell is used over Refresh because of the support it offers. Like those bulky fairies, this still checks Yveltal, Darkceus, and Dragons, while Mega Altaria has a special niche of resisting pretty much everything Palkia uses. You can also use this on a stall team itself to beat mono-attacking Darkceus. 108 Spe lets you outspeed Modest Scarf Xerneas at +2, while the rest gives you maximum special bulk. Body Slam is used because paralysis is awesome.

Support
########
name: Support
move 1: Heal Bell
move 2: Roost
move 3: Body Slam
move 4: Roar / Toxic / Haze
ability: Natural Cure -> Pixilate
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
nature: Careful

Pretty much the same as the DD set except it's full support. Personally I think DD is better and I'm not sure if this is even worth it, but hey, if you want a full support option, that's your choice.

Sure thing shrang
The reason I slashed all 3 attacking moves is because some people prefer power, some people(like you) prefer the paralysis chance, and some people like power without recoil. I suppose refresh/substitute is outclassed by mega-mence, but earthquake still has a niche, as instead of flying/ground coverage, you have fairy/ground coverage, as well as an arguably better defensive typing. Support option is nice on balance, so if you don't mind, I'll keep that.
Thanks for the help.
Am currently implementing changes

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah the sets should be exactly like shrang's, fully offensive DD sets are horribly outclassed by Mega Salamence.

I don't see why I would want to use this. Mega opportunity cost gigantic. Yveltal walling, sure but mega reliant so you need to find a turn to mega before Yveltal has a turn to fire off an attack- not very reliable for a "reliable" Yveltal check. Zekrom extinct and Pdon on every team p much solves whatever issue you may have with it anyway. Walling Palkia is barely relevant and also mega reliant. Latios and Latias still pressuring like a lot so you aren't exactly going to check these either.

Won't sweep any bulky teams and doesn't have that terrific bulk to get the big amount of dds it needs (I can show calcs if demanded).

So ya it's niche lies in Heal Bell, which I don't even think is fully justfied on bulkier teams over something like Clefable, Xerneas. Mixing a support set with a sweeper set is cool until you realise you won't get the best from both worlds- as mentioned you will be too weak to sweep and you won't handle nearly enough offensive threats to cover your opportunity cost. QC rejected 1/3

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, that one turn needed to Mega evolve really destroys its viability IMO. I've played like 2-3 games and the one thing that stood out the most was the fact that Altaria is usually not Mega evolved when it was needed to tank Yveltal or something like that and that's just annoying. Once it is Mega evolved though, I've been impressed with its bulk, but yeah, like Hack said, it's kind of crappy.

qc rejected 2/3

Well, I suppose this needs to be deleted, since it's been rejected. I don't know if I need moderator approval or what, so I'm just gonna wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)