Balanced Hackmons CCAT (Playtesting)

Rumors' Sceptile
I really want to see if we can make a team around a sweeper that's super weak to priority. That'd be a fun challenge and I think ultimately rewarding for the metagame, because it would reduce our dependence on fake-speed (assuming we find a way to stop it) and open the door for more creative sets.

Rumor's Sceptile.

To all the people that are voting for Adrians set: Are you sure about this?
This set works well with the Paranoid Stall structure, so it likes having all the support it can get to keep it alive. The combination of Cosmic Power + Baton Pass is much appreciated, since unlike most Poison Heal sweepers, Primal Kyogre still counters Imposter with the defense boosts. Cosmic Power also helps Primal Kyogre in defeating the repulsive -ate Pokemon. Overall, I have to say that Primal Kyogre is the greatest Poison Heal sweeper in the current metagame.
No Paranoid stall please.
Edit: Cause I don't want to face all the nubs using this team then. Cause thankfully Paranoid stall is very bad in the current metagame.

Rumor's Sceptile.

To all the people that are voting for Adrians set: Are you sure about this?

No Paranoid stall please.
Edit: Cause I don't want to face all the nubs using this team then. Cause thankfully Paranoid stall is very bad in the current metagame.
It's not very bad per se, Paranoid Stall still does really well with the right team structure. Also, I specifically chose Poison Heal Kyogre because it does well in most team archetypes, I never said Kyogre required Paranoid Stall supporters/walls.

And finally, my vote goes to AWailOfATail

Despite PH Primal-Ogre being a better and more powerful set than Sheer Force Sceptile (at least on overall aspects, there's stuff that Scept does better like outspeed), i don't think it's something new and uncommon, that's why i voted on Rumors Sceptile instead of Adrian's Kyogre.

Adrian Marin: 6
Rumors: 3
Kit Kasai: 2
AWailOfATail: 2
Ranger Mike: 1

Congratulations to Adrian Marin! Our team will be based around his variant of Poison Heal Primal Kyogre.

upload_2014-12-13_22-1-29.png

Kyogre-Primal @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Water Spout
- Leech Seed
- Ice Beam

A note for those of you who voted for Rumors because they wanted to build around an -ate-weak sweeper: keep in mind that this Kyogre isn't -ate-proof either.

And with that, submissions for our second Pokemon are open! Pick something you think complements the above set well. You have a few days. Reserve if necessary.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Bolt Strike
- Stealth Rock

This is a standard Kyurem-B set, and I'm sure most of you know how this works! But, what does it provide for Primal Kyogre? What makes it a good partner? Well, Kyurem-Black is a fantastic early-game softener that is able to chip away foes with Fake Out and Extreme Speed. Furthermore, Stealth Rock provides another method of chipping the opponent's health away; however, King's Shield is a useful option over Stealth Rock to better handle opposing -ate users. The two's synergy is pretty on-point as well: Kyurem-Black resists both of Primal Kyogre's weaknesses, Primal Kyogre resists one of Kyurem-Black's weaknesses but does, however, have the ability to take on pretty much all of its weaknesses regardless. To sum it up, Kyurem-Black lays entry hazards and softens up the opponent so Kyogre is much more difficult to defeat later in the match.

Since we are supporting a Pokemon that, as Uselesscrab said, is weak to -ate, I feel that we need a (mostly) dedicated counter. So, here's Registeel:

Registeel @ Lum Berry/Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Bold Nature
- Heal Order
- Spore/Dark Void
- King's Shield/Spiky Shield
- Whirlwind/Dragon Tail/Foul Play/Spikes/Stealth Rock/Parting Shot

Explanation:
Let me explain this set. First off, Registeel is chose over Regirock and Giratina because of it's typing: Steel. Steel resists all 3 -ates, compared to Rock's 1 and Ghost/Dragon's 0. Also because it has a balanced defensive stat spread unlike Regirock to deal with increasingly common mixed -ate attackers using moves like Boomburst/Techno Blast/Judgement. The item is to make it A. A little more Imposter or B. To give a little bit of recovery each turn. The nature is to increase your physical defense, which is the most used form of -ate, and minimise attack for minor things like Imposter struggle damage and Foul Play damage. This can be changed to maybe a + Speed nature, to outspeed other Registeels running Bold. The moveset can change, but mostly your job is to King's Shield/ on their Fake-Out/Extreemespeed (If you can), Spore/Dark Void them (I would personally run DV to aVoid Safety Goggles users) and then Heal Order away any damage recieved. The final move slot is variable based on the rest of your team. Whirlwind, Spikes, Foul Play and Dragon Tail are all options, each serving their individual purpose. Whirlwind/Dragon Tail shuffle the -ate, although one leaves you extreme taunt bait. Spikes/Stealth Rock help set up hazards to wear down the Rock-weak -ate users on the opposing team (M-Ray, Kyurem Black/White) and deal damage to everything else. I personally think Foul Play is a good idea if you plan to use Spiky shield, as most -ate users have gigantic Attack stats (160-180 usually) and will therefore be wrecked when it is turned upon them. Parting Shot is practically essential on a Prankster set as it allows them to phaze Magic Bouncers, deal extra stat lowers for -ates and even (lol) ruin Simple 'Mons. As has been said, all these moves can change based on the other 'Mons that are chosen.

Pairing With P-Kyogre:
Although this set is mostly to deal with -ates, it also takes the Physical attacks that Kyogre can't and neutralises them so Kyogre can come in later and clean up. Kyogre all carries Leech Seed, which deals with Sturdinja something Registeel is hard-walled. Kyogre also functions as a sort of Imposter-check for Registeel if the Toxic Orb has already activated. It can't be put to sleep, isn't affected by KS or SS and can deal damage while setting up on Registeels that don't run a phazing move.

Team Support:
Although this set functions well on it's own, it needs a Magic-Bounce user to bounce any taunts are Spores back at the opponent; things Registeel is usually crippled by. Another good idea is a Mold-Breaker 'Mon to counter any opposing Magic Bouncers that bounce back Regi's status's and Whirlwinds/Hazards. An Entry Hazard setter will also work quite well with the switches that it causes.

Overall:
Overall I think this set is a good partner to P-Kyogre because it deals with the 1 thing that Kyogre practically can't: -Ates. They pair well together as a defensive core and would work well with most Magic Bounce and Mold Breaker sets as teammates. They complement each other's weaknesses (mostly).

Last edited:

Do you even Adrian (Aggron-Mega) @ Rocky Helmet
Evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Milk Drink
- Topsy-Turvy
- Infestation
- Encore

To be honest, PH Kyogre can handle a majority of the tier by itself, unless the opponent makes very good predictions and you made sub-optimal ones. The proof to this is the rising usage of weird sets to specifically counter Kyogre. Powerful Set up mons can be a problem to Kyogre as it needs to get to at least +2 to be effective. Aggron-Mega (Registeel would do as well, but Aggron-Mega has better Physical bulk even without investment) with its neat typing and bulk can neuter Attackers with Topsy-Turvy and get back to Kyogre where it can set up easily while stomaching the reduced firepower of the hits. For things that don't set up but still hit considerably hard (Aka the ates), Aggron-Mega can handle Physical Attackers itself with Infestation + Rocky Helmet + Milk Drink and Kyogre can take on the Special side.

I'm sure sets once submitted can't be changed, but I invite Adrian Marin to consider using Freeze Dry over Ice Beam on PH Kyogre because QD is going to ensure it hits hard enough despite the lower BP and you have a neat way to cover for Water Types as well (Not that there are a lot of them, at least you get to KO Swampert-M, and there are no visible drawbacks for the switch).

Last edited:
I actually did consider Freeze Dry, but the main downside is that it allows Imposters to defeat your Kyogre. DinaIsha
Not really. I have tested it and the only defeat condition would be 2 critical hits in close sucession.

Oh, I see you have used different stat spread. I run 252 HP / 208+ Def / 48 SDef, so that might be the case.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic

Calm Nature
- Milk Drink
- Topsy-Turvy
- Infestation
- Baton Pass

To be honest, PH Kyogre can handle a majority of the tier by itself, unless the opponent makes very good predictions and you made sub-optimal ones. The proof to this is the rising usage of weird sets to specifically counter Kyogre. Powerful Set up mons can be a problem to Kyogre as it needs to get to at least +2 to be effective. Aggron-Mega (Registeel would do as well, but Aggron-Mega has better Physical bulk even without investment) with its neat typing and bulk can neuter Attackers with Topsy-Turvy, trap them with Infestation and Baton Pass to Kyogre where it can set up easily while stomaching the reduced firepower of the hits. For things that don't set up but still hit considerably hard (Aka the ates), Aggron-Mega can handle Physical Attackers itself and Kyogre can take on the Special side.

I'm sure sets once submitted can't be changed, but I invite Adrian Marin to consider using Freeze Dry over Ice Beam on PH Kyogre because QD is going to ensure it hits hard enough despite the lower BP and you have a neat way to cover for Water Types as well (Not that there are a lot of them, at least you get to KO Swampert-M, and there are no visible drawbacks for the switch).
This was pretty much the set I was thinking of, but I highly recommend min speed and u-turn over baton pass, as that gives you the slow switch kyogre needs to get its toxic orb up.

Calm Nature
- Milk Drink
- Topsy-Turvy
- Infestation
- Baton Pass

To be honest, PH Kyogre can handle a majority of the tier by itself, unless the opponent makes very good predictions and you made sub-optimal ones. The proof to this is the rising usage of weird sets to specifically counter Kyogre. Powerful Set up mons can be a problem to Kyogre as it needs to get to at least +2 to be effective. Aggron-Mega (Registeel would do as well, but Aggron-Mega has better Physical bulk even without investment) with its neat typing and bulk can neuter Attackers with Topsy-Turvy, trap them with Infestation and Baton Pass to Kyogre where it can set up easily while stomaching the reduced firepower of the hits. For things that don't set up but still hit considerably hard (Aka the ates), Aggron-Mega can handle Physical Attackers itself and Kyogre can take on the Special side.

In my experience, Parting Shot is really, really good on Pranksters, as it allows Pranksters to phaze out uncommon Magic Bounce sweepers, debilitate threats, and gain momentum against an Imposter by switching in a Magic Bounce Pokemon to take the Parting Shot. I guess we should discuss whether Mega Aggron should use Baton Pass, U-Turn, or Parting Shot.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
In my experience, Parting Shot is really, really good on Pranksters, as it allows Pranksters to phaze out uncommon Magic Bounce sweepers, debilitate threats, and gain momentum against an Imposter by switching in a Magic Bounce Pokemon to take the Parting Shot. I guess we should discuss whether Mega Aggron should use Baton Pass, U-Turn, or Parting Shot.
There really isn't any point in using baton pass except for pp. The slow switch and chip damage from u-turn and the utility of parting shot are way more beneficial than extra pp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)