Ladder STABmons (the old one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the council isn't handling this properly and shouldn't assume that every slowbro is 4 status moves/3 status moves+scald(which I'm not sure you're even considering that it could run scald)
Because if it runs any other sets, it needs to forego bulk, therefore making it more 'breakable'. It's best bet in the meta is bulky set up. Origin Pulse is a great move of choice too, but Scald's Burn is invaluable for something wanting to set up for quite a bit before it can cause a threatening amount of damage.

We don't have a say in whether you'll run Muddy Water on your MegaBro. We're simply assuming worst case scenario.

Thank you but we did. I specifically mention burns in my discussions about checks/counters.

No Slowbro would run 4 status moves btw, so I'm not sure how you're concluding that's something we even considered... Taunt shuts down its Cosmic Power/Calm Mind and Slack Off shenanigans. I also don't think Slowbro should or does run 3 status+1 attack because there are too many things that could absorb Psychic or Water, so it does need coverage. The thing is, even if it runs 4 attacks (Water/Psychic/Fire Blast/Ice Beam) it's STILL walled by Mega Gyarados. Grass Knot would hurt, yes, but without a Calm Mind boost, Gyara can take it, Dark Void, and Roost off the damage.

Slowbro needs to setup to hit hard enough, but then it struggles to hit all the things it wants.
How exactly is Gyarados using Dark Void?

Reactions: EV
I'd like to apologize for sounding inflammatory earlier but I was simply trying to say gyarados is possibly the only pokemon that can counter all of it's common to semi-common sets. even megamom had a viable mon as a hard counter(ferrothorn) so don't assume one set unbreaks a mon. I was simply trying to say you should post more conclusive evidence.

I'd like to apologize for sounding inflammatory earlier but I was simply trying to say gyarados is possibly the only pokemon that can counter all of it's common to semi-common sets. even megamom had a viable mon as a hard counter(ferrothorn) so don't assume one set unbreaks a mon. I was simply trying to say you should post more conclusive evidence.
As mentioned before each suspects, there are quickbans. There is a good chance of a detailed suspects on all of them once the ladder gets underway. In short, these suspects were to acknowledge the new powerful megas and doing a weather check.

How exactly is Gyarados using Dark Void?
welp, that would be me too. Inb4 you deem all council members as unworthy because of this mistake. If you're still not convinced with not banning MegaBro, you will have to wait until the next suspect, if and when we get to that. If this is about something else, feel free to take it to messages.

I found that Noctowl is a rarely used but pretty powerful boomburst spammer (IMO better than pyroar) thanks to it's tinted lens ability, and its bulk is not too terrible with 100/50/96 defense.

Let's see some of the "anti-boomburst" mons:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Noctowl Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 354-416 (105.9 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Noctowl Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar: 264-312 (65.3 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (still can't do shit to mega though) (forgot to mention sand)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Noctowl Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 252-296 (65.2 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Noctowl Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 202-238 (57.3 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
I found that Noctowl is a rarely used but pretty powerful boomburst spammer (IMO better than pyroar) thanks to it's tinted lens ability, and its bulk is not too terrible with 100/50/96 defense.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Noctowl Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 354-416 (105.9 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Noctowl Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar: 264-312 (65.3 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (still can't do shit to mega though)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Noctowl Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 252-296 (65.2 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Noctowl Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 202-238 (57.3 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
You forgot to calc TTar in sand
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Noctowl Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 176-208 (43.5 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Noctowl Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 118-138 (29.2 - 34.1%) -- 4.3% chance to 3HKO

Having re-read the arguments on Mega Slowbro, I apologise for being brash. Your arguments were totally valid and I was a fool to doubt them. It has left me wondering why is Mega Kangaskhan still banned though?

It is set-up on by common (and relevant) pokemon in the metagame (Mega Sableye, Aegislash, and Mega Scizor are 3 very common examples, which given the size of the tier is more than enough).

It is handled by commonly used defensive pokemon (Sableye, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Porygon2, Gyarados, Landorus-Therian, Mega Slowbro, Tangrowth).
As well as more niche pokemon such as Spiritomb and Gourgeist.

Set-up sets can be stopped with Taunt. Common Unaware pokemon such as Quagsire and Clefable also beat its set-up sets if it's using ExtremeSpeed as their primary normal STAB (which most sets would)

It is pressured by commonly used offensive pokemon such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Gengar, Garchomp, and Thundurus. And most priority users too...
As well as common scarfers such as Tyranitar, Ditto, and Heatran.

It might seem powerful, but the metagame can adapt and force it to take huge amounts of recoil each turn by simply wearing a Rocky Helmet.

EV

Banned deucer.
Having re-read the arguments on Mega Slowbro, I apologise for being brash. Your arguments were totally valid and I was a fool to doubt them. It has left me wondering why is Mega Kangaskhan still banned though?

It is set-up on by common (and relevant) pokemon in the metagame (Mega Sableye, Aegislash, and Mega Scizor are 3 very common examples, which given the size of the tier is more than enough).

It is handled by commonly used defensive pokemon (Sableye, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Porygon2, Gyarados, Landorus-Therian, Mega Slowbro, Tangrowth).

Set-up sets can be stopped with Taunt. Common Unaware pokemon such as Quagsire and Clefable also beat its set-up sets if it's using ExtremeSpeed as their primary normal STAB (which most sets would)

It is pressured by commonly used offensive pokemon such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Gengar, Garchomp, and Thundurus. And most priority users too...

It might seem powerful, but the metagame can adapt and force it to take huge amounts of recoil each turn by simply wearing a Rocky Helmet.
I know what you're trying to do but it's not going to work. PM me if you want to have this discussion.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine

Super Fang.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
You can't Super Fang a ghost...

Well you can if you don't mega evolve, but that's the same argument as saying Taunt beats Mega Slowbro (you can not mega evolve to avoid that too)
Did I mention it gets Crunch and Sucker Punch, aka moves that hit both of those super-effectively? A moveset of Super Fang / Seismic Toss / Recovery / Espeed or Crunch essentially tears open the entire meta bar Sableye, which you can easily bring team support for. Skarmory can't even counter it. Keep in mind that it doesn't have to even mega-evolve until ghosts are out of the picture.

Did I mention it gets Crunch and Sucker Punch, aka moves that hit both of those super-effectively? A moveset of Super Fang / Seismic Toss / Recovery / Espeed or Crunch essentially tears open the entire meta bar Sableye. Skarmory can't even counter it. Keep in mind that it doesn't have to even mega-evolve until ghosts are out of the picture.
You didn't mention that actually... Kinda sounds like how Slowbro doesn't even have to mega-evolve until Taunt users are out of the picture. That definitely clears things up.

But as I've always said, the Meta will find it difficult to adapt at first. Then with time, well, it has to.

If you're going to be cheeky and mock the council, opening with extreme false humility is pretty obviously fake, even aside from the bolding.

I still don't agree with the council on Mega Slowbro but your behavior is highly inappropriate. If they're wrong, they're wrong, trying to sling mud won't prove they're wrong and just reflects badly on your own character. Please stop it.

Re: Mega Gyarados as counter

You do realize Mega Slowbro gets Signal Beam, right? Sure, the set-up sets are probably going to run Scald+Stored Power/Psyshock+set-up and then the last slot will be Slack Off, but they're not the only sets Mega Slowbro can run that are valid -they're just the worst about having a complete runaway effect if you fail to get a counter to them out immediately. Even aside from the more niche Grass Knot, Water/Bug/Psychic is actually surprisingly good coverage, and Mega Slowbro can run it. And since it broadly messes up Dark types, it's even possible Mega Slowbro might run something odd like Stored Power+Signal Beam+Set up+Slack Off and laugh at the idea that Mega Gyarados constitutes a real counter. I'm also not clear how Mega Gyarados is supposed to constitute a counter in the first place, since Dragon Dance Gyarados faced off against Cosmic Power Mega Slowbro will never be able to crit through the defense boosts nor pull ahead of Mega Slowbro's boosting nor wipe its boosts. In fact, completely unboosted Signal Beam is

0 SpA Slowbro Signal Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 110-130 (33.2 - 39.2%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO

so if Mega Slowbro is running that over Scald (Stored Power is too good to give up, really) it will break your substitutes and break you effortlessly.

Also food for thought: Slowbro gets Drain Punch. Also food for thought: STABmons Slowbro gets Power Split. Yeah, Mega Gyarados can Crunch up Mega Slowbro pretty reliably -you know, off its 155 Attack, more than double Mega Slowbro's Attack? Yeah, potentially say goodbye to that. Also, Heart Swap. Yeah, these are all more nichedly specific than its best sets, but they're there, and they're not actually irrelevant, because they make Mega Slowbro that little bit harder to reliably counter.

Also, note that it can just run Miracle Eye over Scald, and now even Dark types aren't safe from Stored Power. Just with two stats maxed Stored Power is 260 BP, so unless you're Metagross or something Miracle Eye ensures an at least 130 BP spammable move -that is, it matches an unresisted Draco Meteor on targets that resist it. Yeah, Miracle Eye is generally dumb to run, and Mega Gyarados can just switch out -but that gives Mega Slowbro time to heal whatever damage was done and set up more Cosmic Powers.

I'm also just not thrilled in general with the fact that the only thing people have named as a counter to "all" the Mega Slowbro sets (By a very narrow definition of "all") is itself a Mega. What, are all teams only going to run Mega Slowbro or Mega Gyarados to counter the Mega Slowbros, no other Megas? That's sounding pretty degenerate.

So like I said: not convinced, and not finding the presented logics convincing.

If you're going to be cheeky and mock the council, opening with extreme false humility is pretty obviously fake, even aside from the bolding.

I still don't agree with the council on Mega Slowbro but your behavior is highly inappropriate. If they're wrong, they're wrong, trying to sling mud won't prove they're wrong and just reflects badly on your own character. Please stop it.
Well aside from mocking them, I was seriously try and point out how hypocritical it is to selectively apply those reasons for not banning a pokemon, when the exact same arguments can be applied to other pokemon that have been banned.

I agree that they are overlooking a lot of what makes Mega Slowbro so threatening. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 10 great sets for it which don't all have the same counters. No one has even touched on stuff like Mirror Coat and Counter yet, or Offensive Trick Room sets with Max Special Attack

EV

Banned deucer.
I'm also not clear how Mega Gyarados is supposed to constitute a counter in the first place, since Dragon Dance Gyarados faced off against Cosmic Power Mega Slowbro will never be able to crit through the defense boosts nor pull ahead of Mega Slowbro's boosting nor wipe its boosts.
Mold Breaker.

That's fine, and I agree with the sentiment that it's inconsistent, but you don't have to mock them in the process to make the point. If there's other inconsistencies, I'm fine with you pointing them out, I'm just not fine with doing so in a slanderous fashion. Not that I make the rules, mind.

But yeah there's tons of stuff it can do, just in part because Psychic is full of utility moves. I've focused on the weirder niche stuff because I'm a weird niche person myself and because they're going to surprise people essentially by definition, but it had crossed my mind that Trick Room Mega Slowbro really really messes up the idea that Mega Gyarados constitutes a counter, among others, and it can just stay Oblivious regular Slowbro to force through the Trick Room, Taunt or no.

Mold Breaker.
Do you know for a fact it does that or are you assuming it does? Genuine question here, I've never seen Mold Breaker bypass Shell Armor or Battle Armor myself, not even in Haxmons.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do you know for a fact it does that or are you assuming it does? Genuine question here, I've never seen Mold Breaker bypass Shell Armor or Battle Armor myself, not even in Haxmons.
It gets past Shell/Battle Armor. In Haxmons my answer to it was Kyurem Black, so yeah I'm pretty sure. Also you can find it on the Bulbapedia page.

That's fine, and I agree with the sentiment that it's inconsistent, but you don't have to mock them in the process to make the point. If there's other inconsistencies, I'm fine with you pointing them out, I'm just not fine with doing so in a slanderous fashion. Not that I make the rules, mind.
*libelous
anyways audino sets

Audino @ Audinite
Regenerator
-Thunder Wave
-Milk Drink
-Toxic
-Conversion

OK so we started off with maximum gimmick

Audino @ Audinite
Regenerator
-Boomburst
-Work Up/Shell Smash
-Milk Drink/filler
-Draining Kiss/filler

OK mild gimmick tank

Audino @ Audinite
Regenerator
-Milk Drink
-Toxic
-Mean Look
-Psych Up/Refresh/Heal Bell

This one has more use as a potential slowbro counter(psych up copies defensive boosts from setup ones) while having general utility against any stall mon that doesn't have perish song or something(healer eats toxic)

Last edited:
I have a few sets I'd like to share that I've been having some fun with~!

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Cosmic Power
- Rest

Allow me to introduce the pure terror, pure devastation, pure... hell. This Wobbuffet set is something I cooked up in my lab of evil gimmicks to try out and I've been having a blast thus far with it. The basic premise of this set is to trap any and everything and attempt to set up via Cosmic Power. Cosmic Power Wobbuffet is really hard to stop once it gets going because Shadow Tag means that nothing can switch and the high HP stat is really helpful here. Calm Mind is to boost Special Attack primarily, to make Stored Power hurt like hell. After all of these boosts, Stored Power hits a whopping 380 base power, more than enough to OHKO or 2HKO the entire tier; even with Wobbuffet's measly base 38 Special Attack. For example, when maxed out Stored Power has the ability to 2HKO even the bulkiest of Heatran. Rest cures any status and keeps Wobbuffet healthy to have some more fun with the opponent! I really enjoy using this set, though it is a bit gimmicky and hax-reliant; however, when it's pulled off the satisfaction is great!

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Here's a not-so-gimmicky set that I really like! The focus of this set is to use Moltres' decent defensive typing, good bulk, and reliable recovery to spread burns and wall a myriad of threats. Pressure is really neat because it allows Moltres to take the role of PP stalling. This set is really unique and I've really enjoyed using it thus far. With Will-O-Wisp spreading burns and wonderful special bulk, Moltres is a great check to a lot of the tier. However, its glaring Stealth Rock weakness is a detriment to any defensive Pokemon. This can be mitigated with a partner to clear them, I've been liking Landorus-Therian thus far for the U-turn and good synergy. It's a bit odd, but the two have fairly decent synergy even taking into account they're both Flying-types! Oblivion Wing is just the icing on the cake, packing decent power and a solid recovery option that even has STAB! Really great and underrated set, try it out!

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Head Smash
- Earth Power

This my take on a Mega Diancie, one that is incredibly difficult to switch into. Protect is very useful because it prevents Diggersby from Faking it Out. Moonblast is very strong and the mixed virtue of this set is Head Smash. Head Smash is insanely powerful, though the recoil is detrimental, however it's still a great move for breaking pretty much everything. Just to show how strong Head Smash is, it has the possibility to 2HKO a fully invested Skarmory without Diancie running investment! Very neat if you ask me. Earth Power is for general neutral coverage, though Hidden Power Fire has its merits. Fairly simple set, fairly easy to use.

EDIT;
Healer does not heal the user.

Last edited:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Noctowl Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar: 264-312 (65.3 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (still can't do shit to mega though) (forgot to mention sand)
Quoting this set because this is legit and is being overlooked in all the ruckus. Great find there. Post this in the underrated sets thread. About TTar, Focus Miss will do. Shadow Ball for Ghosts.

Wait.. I seem to have mentioned the entire set myself. :pirate:

Still, do post it and I'll be sure to give it a star.

Last edited:

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
i apologize for butting in about the whole mega slowbro thing, i mean i love slowbro, so i wont try to attack either side about this harshly, however, i do feel like people just don't understand what makes slowbro so scary. slowbro effectively fills 2 niches for a team,both at different times, that is a regen "shock" absorber, and then a calm mind sweeper(via crobro, psyscald or w.e) basically, crobro could be considered a far far scarier version of suicune, gaining 130>80 spc attack, along with 180>115 defense. at the cost of 25 spc defense and a bit (5?) of hp. of course, crocune is more of a PP staller, meanwhile crobro actually has the spc attack to not HAVE to be scared of not having pressure. another aspect of slowbro that is threatening is the combo of potential burns/shell armor. basically, when slowbro gets set up (late game when it finally decides to stop using regenerator) theres no way to stop it. you lose. even haxing it wont work depending on the set. crobro basically just sits there and boosts meanwhile both physical attacks and special attacks both do jack shit to it. and nothing is stopping crobro from running more spc attack/spc def, since its bulk even uninvested in defense towers over suicunes. with psyscald, basically it plays a bit different then crobro, but generally has the same concept, it sticks around with regen, and fires psystrikes, and scalds, and once the opposition is weakened late game, it megas up and sets up and slacks off any potential damage, unlike crobro, this set doesn't fear chansey or lack of coverage, but however, fears status much more, and requires heal beller's assistance more consistantly vs stall.

however, what makes slowbro scary, is that megabros unmega'd forme acts as its own "wallbreaker" softening/koing pokemon that could potentially take on mega bro with little to no reprocussion, and THEN it mega evolves and sets up. if you don't run a cleric or phaser, bro basically shits on your team if you give it that 1 second of a chance to cripple your counter/checks to it. which is near impossible to avoid seeing how it can easily switch into certain pokemon (like diggersby if it doesn't set up or you get momentum into it, talonflame, most physical walls, etc.) and fire off scalds and heal up with regenerator.

unlike the other banned pokemon, slowbro doesnt have super op coverage, or super powerful hits...but what it does have, is immence bulk, the ability to turn itself into its own wallbreaker, ON TOP of being impossible to break once it gets rolling, which although usually is a shaky arguement, is a viable one for a pokemon capable of being immune to hax, has the ability to cripple checks and counters for itself pre mega with next to 0 reprocussions due to regenerator, and has very viable spc attack alongside insane defense(uninvested mega bro is still bulkier then max def suicune iirc could be wrong), with calm mind, reliable recovery, a powerful attacking move, and scald. i know im talking about normal slowbro a lot, but thats perhaps one of the best reasons to use mega slowbro, that its unmega'd forme is actually VERY useful early-mid game(as it always has been), and its mega is excellent late game. its the perfect match.

deciding wheither its broken or not is none of my concern, since you allready made your decision however that is just how i feel about slowbro and it wont stop me from playing the tier really(that wasn't a jab to w0rd or anything, i was just saying that i like slowbro, so i see no reason for me to get upset over this lel), anyways, i shall enjoy using megabro more in the ladder, just wanted to throw out my 2 cents on the subject. that's all really.

Lcass4919 I love Slowbro too. Both its Mega and non Mega are 2 of my favourite pokemon designwise and competitively, but that does not change the FACT that it is completely disgusting and detrimental to the STABmons metagame.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but you are overlooking its offensive prowess too.

One of the council's main arguments was that it was "weak in general". Even without any special attack investment, it is only like 3 points weaker than timid base 100s. The last time I checked, pokemon like Shaymin, Manaphy, Starmie, and Victini were not weak.
There were also comments about sets that didn't invest in bulk being a liability, which were equally stupid. Even with 0 defensive investment, Mega Slowbro has almost 50 points more in defense than 252+ Slowbro. And Slowbro is one of the best physical walls in the tier.

So without investment, you have something bulkier than defensive Slowbro and as strong as offensive Victini. With Water STAB (arguably the best to have in the metagame).

If you do decide to invest in special attack which is very viable, you pretty much 2HKO the entire tier, besides like Chansey, Mega Gyarados and Meloetta. Every "counter" that the council suggested keeps the Calm Mind/Cosmic Power sets in check, gets destroyed if they switch into the Offensive sets.

252+ SpA Mega Slowbro Origin Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Diggersby: 492-578 (157.6 - 185.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mega Slowbro Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 279-328 (91.7 - 107.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mega Slowbro Psystrike vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 238-282 (79.5 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mega Slowbro Psystrike vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 216-255 (59.3 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Slowbro Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 139-165 (42.9 - 50.9%) -- 50% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mega Slowbro Origin Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 131-154 (45.9 - 54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So basically if you guess the wrong set, you're likely to lose your best check to it. And the sad thing is that with a mon like Mega Slowbro, you only really need to beat 1 or 2 mons to win rather than all 6 (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-193455939)

What makes Mega Slowbro broken is how restricted it makes teambuilding and how much pressure it puts on the opponent during the battle.
You have to play extremely cautiously while you scout out its moveset so you don't lose your best check to a surprise Fire Blast/Ice Beam/T wave/Mirror Coat/whatever.
But you also have to play aggressively, because Calm Mind and Cosmic Power sets need to be stopped early before they can spiral out of control and sweep your entire team.

And this is on top of the fact that you have an amazing pokemon if you don't even mega evolve. Slowbronite is so good that you can put it on a team built around another mega, and then just ignore that mega and solo them with Slowbro a lot of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)