RU Dark Horse Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

(Stolen from Ashley11, credits to ToxicPhox for art. Perms from atomicllamas)

Hello RU. Those of you who've been here a while might remember the Dark Horse Project that Birkal hosted in OU a long time ago; well I'm here to port it to Rarelyused. There are a couple good reasons to participate in this project. First, participating will help us test the new Pokemon that this generation brought us. Second, participating will bring up the usage of some criminally underused Pokemon to help balance out all the noobs spamming Claydol. Third, if you succeed your run of the Dark Horse project, you'll get a nice reward (Leaderboard points Idk, maybe you will get some other cool reward but dont get your hopes up)!

The rules of the project are as follows:
  • You must choose two Pokemon on the list of usage stats (found , at least for now) that have had less than 3.41% usage in the previous month. (Here: http://www.smogon.com/stats/2014-11/ru-1760.txt)
  • You must build a team with them (don't just steal an RMT that happened to have both).
  • You must post here stating the two Dark Horse Pokemon you were using and the fresh alt you are going to ladder under.
  • After that, you have the entire month to bring said fresh alt up to a point where you can be a Dark Horse champion!
  • Once you've achieved this, edit your registration post with a screencap of your ranking to be added to the Hall of Fame.
  • Every month, the Hall of Fame will be preserved, but a new Dark Horse challenge will start, so you can pick another couple Pokemon that you want to use and score leaderboard points again!
  • Note you can't get in the Hall of Fame with the same Dark Horse Pokemon multiple times (though the rest of your team can be recycled if you so wish).
  • Discussions of your Dark Horses are greatly encouraged. Post here with commentary, findings, teams, strategies, etc.—anything to do with the Dark Horse you've been using and what you've learned from it!
Questions like these make me warm and fuzzy inside:
Were any of your Dark Horses very useful for your teams, did they do there job correctly and then some?

Did you have any challenges in your way for creating a team out of not so common pokemon? Any key roles for a team that weren't covered by underrated threats?

Rate your dark horses from 1-10. How useful were they? Would you use this pokemon again? Why?

These questions aren't necessary, but they make me very happy :> so its reccomended
IMPORTANT THING: For the sake of this thread being useful, I would like you to explain the Pokemon you've chosen. When you build a team, explain the processes behind the team and the options you chose. Give us a breakdown of your matches, whether things were successful, etc. The true merit of the Dark Horse project is to show off forgotten threats in order to discover niche Pokemon that deserve usage. Please explain to us why the Pokemon you've chosen are good. This is not a reccomendation. This is a requirement.

GOALS HAVE CHANGED
There will be three ranks in the hall of fame.
C rank is going to be having at least 25 battles with a GXE of 70 or higher. B rank is getting at least 25 battles with a GXE of 76 or higher. A rank is getting at least 25 battles with a GXE of 82 or higher.

Hall of Fame:

A Rank:

B Rank:

C Rank:'

Registered Dark Horses and Alts:

Pokemon Showdown Username: SD Hitmonlee
Dark Horse Pokemon: Cinccino, Archeops

Dark Horse Username: Remi's Maid Yuna!
Dark Horse Pokemon: Sp. defensive Prinplup and SubPetaya Typhlosion

Pokemon Showdown Username: Lol they lose
Dark Horse Pokemon: Ninetales, Regigigas, Exeggcutor, Primeape, Carracosta, Drifblim

Pokemon Showdown Username: GaggleOfGeese
Dark Horse Pokemon: Kekleon, Beartic, Staravia, Frogadier, Scyther and Raichu

Pokemon Showdown Username: L4S3R R4V3RZ
Dark Horse Pokemon: Glalie, Mesprit, Sawk, Xatu

Showdown Username: speedghilliesniper
Dark Horse Pokemon: Virizion, Piloswine

A registration form looks like this:
New Pokemon Showdown Username (must be a fresh alt with 0 battles in RU on it.):
Dark Horse Pokemon:
Screenshot of Ladder Ranking:
Full Team Importable (in hide tags please):

Obviously these things will not be all filled out when you first register. That is because you should keep updating the same registration post, instead of making new update posts.

Useful Dark horses to consider

none yet

Last edited:
First!

I slapped this team together in 5 minutes and after testing it it seems to work out pretty well.

Pokemon Showdown Username: <To be Decided>
Dark Horse Pokemon: Combusken, Sigilyph, Feraligatr
Screenshot of Ladder Ranking: <Will update>
Full Team Importable (in hide tags please):
Combusken @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Brick Break

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Aqua Tail

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
- Psycho Shift
- Roost
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power

Feraligatr @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Cinccino @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tail Slap
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Knock Off

Any team suggestions before I go on my laddering adventure would be appreciated.
Dark Horses are bolded.

NOTE: I haven't started actually laddering yet, will update in due time.

Last edited:

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Pokemon Showdown Username: SD Hitmonlee
Dark Horse Pokemon: Cinccino, Archeops
Screenshot of Ladder Ranking: Not yet
Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Destiny Bond

Archeops @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch

Cinccino @ Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tail Slap
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Sing

I started out thinking about a potential lead for my team. I didn't want to use something I've spammed a dozen times like Cobalion or Accelgor, so I looked for a more uncommon one. That was when I remembered someone on the forums talking about a lead Archeops, so I thought I may as well try it. What sets it apart from something like Cobalion as a lead is greater Speed and Endeavor. Endeavor is a really cool move that can help break down walls and stuff for other Pokemon. Overall, it's really niche but it's cool anyway.

I also wanted to try out a broken Pokemon, so I just kinda threw Mega Houndoom in there. I'll probably just replace it with LO Houndoom once Houndoomite gets banned.

Hitmonlee has been my favorite Pokemon in RU since early XY and it still is, so I put him on there. Okay tbh, I wanted a Rapid Spinner for Mega dog and Mega dog destroys Amoonguss, Weezing, Spiritomb, Doublade, and Aromatisse to a certain extent for Hitmonlee.

I put Rotom-Mow on my team because my team so far doesn't like bulky Water-types and I wanted a good revenge killer and pivot at the same time. I put HP Ice for Dragons such as Dragalge, Druddigon, and Mega Sceptile.

I put Doublade on my team because I wanted something to block Rapid Spin and have good offensive presence at the same time. I basically had to choose between Spiritomb and Doublade and I wanted a SD sweeper, so I picked Doublade. Sacred Sword hits Houndoom, breaks down Steel-types faster, and ignores defense boosts the opposing Pokemon may have.

Cinccino is the most random Pokemon on my team and it's there to take up some space and look cool. Sing is really niche and for Doublade switch-ins, but I may replace it with U-turn or Knock Off. Rock Blast is really nice because SpD Golbat, especially variants with Taunt, is a huge pain for this team. Bullet Seed hits Water-types I guess lol. It's good because it's better that Ambipom. :3

I haven't had any good battles with this team yet, but I'll post them when I get them.

Edit: The team was terrible after Mega Doom left, so I'll use a different team with a new alt.

Pokemon Showdown Username: SD Sharpedo
Dark Horse Pokemon: Tyrantrum, Pyroar, Probopass, Gurdurr

I'll post replays and other stuff after using my team for a bit.

Last edited:
i'm Going to use a team i made up quickly, it's about 2 of my Top 5 starters, Typhlosion and Prinplup.

Dark Horse Username: Remi's Maid Yuna!
Dark Horse Pokemon: Sp. defensive Prinplup and SubPetaya Typhlosion
Ladder Ranking: not yet

Team: http://pastebin.com/qUdzXpHA (didn't know how to made a spoiler box, so i just threw it all on a pastebin)

I'm going to do my best! wish me luck!

Pokemon Showdown Username: GaggleOfGeese
Dark Horse Pokemon: Kekleon, Beartic, Staravia, Frogadier, Scyther and Raichu
Ladder Ranking: 1067

I wanted to build a hyper offensive team and this is my attempt at it. Hopefully it works out and I get atleast 1 win.

Edit: This team is utter doo doo never try it out. The only mon that put in work and managed to get a sweep was Kekleon.

Builds: http://pastebin.com/Z4rMBFTW

Last edited:

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown Name: tired of Hax omfg
Dark Horse Pokemon: Armaldo, Audino
Ladder Rank:
The team:
Arikado (Drapion) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Whirlwind
- Toxic Spikes

galbia (Armaldo) @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Cheek Pouch (Audino) (M) @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam

xastify (Gallade) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Shadow Sneak

Mistress Remilia (Meloetta) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Perish Song
- Knock Off
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave

Lyto (Doublade) (M) @ Eviolite
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

So basically I wanted to try my hand at semi-stall, and I thought I might as well incorporate it into Dark Horse. The team was made starting with Whirlwind TSpikes Drapion, which is such a blessing to stop set up sweepers. Armaldo is where Sandslash would normally be, taking hits, spinning hazards, and setting rocks. Audino (my mega) is an amazing Calm Mind set up pokemon, and passes really big wishes. SD Lum Gallade is my first Win-Con, letting me take out a shit ton of stuff. Meloetta is a potent stall breaker and also stops sweepers with a godly SpD stat and Perish Song. Doublade is Win-Con 2, spinblocking and sweeping.

Alright, finna do this with nothing but the most potent of squads.

Pokemon Showdown Username: L4S3R R4V3RZ
Dark Horse Pokemon: Glalie, Mesprit, Sawk, Xatu
Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 8 HP / 216 Atk / 24 Def / 56 SpA / 204 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Double-Edge
- Explosion
- Spikes
- Freeze-Dry

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 100 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Stored Power
- U-turn

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Toxic

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sturdy
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 76 Def / 60 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam

Decided I would just go full omfuga for this and just spam sturdy 'mons and heavy hitters, pretending like that's how team-building works. Jokes aside, I did really want to tinker with Mega Glalie, since it hits stupidly hard, and this seemed like the best opportunity to tinker. Boom+Spikes Glalie alongside Xatu seems like an interesting premise, since Glalie can preserve its own hazards in the face of whatever really, and Xatu not only allows Glalie a slight boost in longevity, but also offers a comfortable pivot into the primarily passive Steel-types that would now pivot into Glalie (Registeel and Zong, mostly). I'm also running with a CM + Stored Power variant, since provides an end-game v.balance, which is wanted b/c otherwise Xatu is usually nothing but utility on a stick, which I dislike, and otherwise all I could've gotten is /maybe/ a Rhyperior lure, which isn't particularly valuable here. Sturdy (CB) Sawk + (Specs) Magneton are here largely to break down balance cores while simultaneously reaping french benefits from Xatu support, helping the team push through the inevitable 1-for-1 trades that so commonly occur in offense vs. offense match-ups. Moltres and Uxie help even out issues with Fake Out Lopunny, which, aside from being just filthy in this meta, does inherently cause problems for a team whose primary counterplay to strong offensive 'mons are Sturdy users, while providing their respectable primary roles; Mesprit plays as a decent SR 'Mon, Shiftry / Gligar bait, and HW supporter to my heavy hitters, whilst Moltres helps reinforce my end-game v.offense and generally pairs off well w/Spikes Glalie.

Nothing too serious, mind you, but it's passable for the saking of tinkering with under-utilized 'mons, as is the goal of this project, and if anything, it should be fun to run with :[l]

Pokemon Showdown Username: speedghilliesniper
Dark Horse Pokemon:
71 | Virizion | 1.69969%
106 | Piloswine | 0.30462%
Screenshot of Ladder Ranking: attached, peaked at 20-6 with a GXE of 73
fine swine (Piloswine) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

horse of darkness (Virizion) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Giga Drain

totes not mega (Lopunny) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- Return
- High Jump Kick

smogon bird (Fletchinder)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn

stabby stabby (Doublade) @ Eviolite
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

drunk dragon (Dragalge) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Scald

Went for my usual build which is kind of a bulky offensive team that utilizes type synergy and a crap load of priority to handle threats. I really just wanted to test out Virizion and noticed it's down low enough to qualify for this so I added in one of my favorite bulky rock setters from BW Piloswine as the second. Basic strategy over all is either softening up their defensive core with hazards and Doublade chip damage/ Dragalge nukes enough for a Lopbunny sweep or blowing enough holes with Lopbunny for Fletchinder to clean up. Or as an alternative win condition for if their defensive core is strong enough to keep that from happening (Mola + Gligar for ex.) then many times I can use those mons to get a free sub with Virizion and try to work down it's checks. Hazards are important for the team and a cool thing about Piloswine is that with it's bulk it soft checks so many things, and when leading with the pig it will almost always get rocks up and usually beat one v one all the other usual hazard leads. Plus with ice STAB it wards off any defog or Magic Bounce users, while Doublade spinblocks to help keep away those unsavory hitmons.

Alrighty then! screenshot's up, so now for my thoughts on these mons.

Piloswine- did pretty much I could ever ask for in a rock setter. Laughed at most physical hits, set rocks and can usually stand toe to toe with opposing rock setters not named Bronzong. Also warded off most defog users and acted as a really cool check to a lot of tings, including mega Sceptile with ice priority. But with all that in mind I really felt like I was using a somewhat inferior Rhyperior with Ice stab and priority most of the time, and with Solid Rock Rhyperior can tank some shots much better than the swine. Pitiful special defenses mean that lures or mixed mons usually put it out of commission. Lack of leftovers meant no recovery and it's dependence on eviolite often came back to bite it with Knock Off flying around so much now. All in all it's a solid mon for sure, it has it's niche and it's really cool to use. Definitely not complete garbage and worth a team slot if you need a Physical rock setting tank with priority.

Virizion- I was so pumped to use this mon. Sets up all over so many defensive mons, checks a lot of dangerous sweepers by virtue of it's typing, unpredictable. But in practice I found it lacking at times due to sever 4mss. It's stabs are stopped cold by a lot random mons so it's kind of hard to actually pull off a sweep, and forgoing those stabs left me walled by things that I felt it should beat. My main reason for trying it was to check Sharpedo but with the rise of Ice Fang Mega Sharp it can't even do that. A dangerous mon with the proper coverage moves but once it's set is revealed it get's a lot less dangerous. In my opinion it's another good but not great mon who can serve as a kind of patching up mon to beat random things the rest of your team struggles with.

Attachments

Last edited:

Holiday

on my best behavior
Pokemon Showdown Username: speedghilliesniper
Dark Horse Pokemon:
71 | Virizion | 1.69969%
106 | Piloswine | 0.30462%
Screenshot of Ladder Ranking: coming soonish
fine swine (Piloswine) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

horse of darkness (Virizion) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Giga Drain

totes not mega (Lopunny) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- Return
- High Jump Kick

smogon bird (Fletchinder)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn

stabby stabby (Doublade) @ Eviolite
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

drunk dragon (Dragalge) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Scald

Went for my usual build which is kind of a bulky offensive team that utilizes type synergy and a crap load of priority to handle threats. I really just wanted to test out Virizion and noticed it's down low enough to qualify for this so I added in one of my favorite bulky rock setters from BW Piloswine as the second. Basic strategy over all is either softening up their defensive core with hazards and Doublade chip damage/ Dragalge nukes enough for a Lopbunny sweep or blowing enough holes with Lopbunny for Fletchinder to clean up. Or as an alternative win condition for if their defensive core is strong enough to keep that from happening (Mola + Gligar for ex.) then many times I can use those mons to get a free sub with Virizion and try to work down it's checks. Hazards are important for the team and a cool thing about Piloswine is with it's bulk it soft checks so many things, and when leading with the pig it will almost always get rocks up and usually beat one v one all the other usual hazard leads. Plus with ice STAB it wards off any defog or Magic Bounce users, while Doublade spinblocks to help keep away those unsavory hitmons.
Is that a brand new alt with 0 matches on it?

Is that a brand new alt with 0 matches on it?
I started it as a fresh alt for this on Saturday, I wanted to have some playtesting and tweaking before posting the team. Quite a few mons have changed an had the sets tweaked but the core 2 dark horse mons have stayed. If it's a problem that I started using it before making the post I can just make another alt, the final team works well enough I think I can get a decent record again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)