Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people run frustration over return on mega altaria?
ditto can switch in and copy ur boosts
To elaborate on this: Return has a higher base power with higher happiness, while frustration has a higher base power with lower happiness. Because on the simulator running Frustration is as easy as setting happiness to zero, it's just as viable as Return.

The reason to do this is so that Ditto has a harder time revenge-killing you. Many people simply don't set their happiness on Ditto to anything different (it's at max by default), so Frustration will have the minimum base power possible when they try to revenge-kill you.

Altaria-Mega @ Altarite
Ability: Cloud Nine
Happiness:0
EVs: EVs: 240 HP / 132 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Heal Bell
- Frustration
- Roost

I saw this set on an OU RMT and thought it was great, and I've tried integrating it into my own team and it's awesome. But I've got to wonder: is there an even better Altaria set out there that can far outclass this one in any way?

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Altaria-Mega @ Altarite
Ability: Cloud Nine
Happiness:0
EVs: EVs: 240 HP / 132 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Heal Bell
- Frustration
- Roost

I saw this set on an OU RMT and thought it was great, and I've tried integrating it into my own team and it's awesome. But I've got to wonder: is there an even better Altaria set out there that can far outclass this one in any way?
There's nothing that would outclass that set per se, just different sets. The "best" set depends on the needs of your team.

There's nothing that would outclass that set per se, just different sets. The "best" set depends on the needs of your team.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

So putting aside the word "best", what would be the most standard DD set for Altaria? I don't know if the Smogon Dex Page for Altaria has been completely updated, so I'm unsure.

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

So putting aside the word "best", what would be the most standard DD set for Altaria? I don't know if the Smogon Dex Page for Altaria has been completely updated, so I'm unsure.
Dragon Dance, Return (or Frustration), Roost, Substitute/Earthquake. Substitute sets are generally bulky, and EQ sets are generally offensive.

Long time lurker, new poster. I've been struggling to find two more Pokemon to add to my team that would work well with my Bisharp/Gallade core. I've been thinking about adding some sort of rapid spinner/defogger and/or a hazard setter, but I'm not entirely sure who to decide on. So far, this is what I've come up with:

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EV's: 4 HP/ 252 atk / 252 spe
Nature: Adamant
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt

Bisharp @ Life orb
Ability: Defiant
EV's: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Knock Off
- Iron head
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Spd
Nature: Bold
- Will-o-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Spd
Nature: Calm
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind

I am open to any suggestions to changes to my core as well.
I'd honestly suggest changing your Sylveon to Choice Specs, as it allows you to immediately beat Slowbro, Mega Slowbro and Mega Sableye, easily the biggest thorns in Bishlade's side.

Would it be worth running enough speed on Rotom-W to outspeed Bisharp so I can burn it? I don't have a direct stop to it right now and a +2 Bisharp demolishes my team. Also, if I were to run speedy Rotom (128 Spe), should I remove HP or Def? My team: http://pastebin.com/Pz27veHx

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Would it be worth running enough speed on Rotom-W to outspeed Bisharp so I can burn it? I don't have a direct stop to it right now and a +2 Bisharp demolishes my team. Also, if I were to run speedy Rotom (128 Spe), should I remove HP or Def? My team: http://pastebin.com/Pz27veHx
It really is not worth running that much speed, as it significantly takes away from rotoms bulk. The fastest thing you would want to outspeed is Jolly Belly Drum Azumarill (to burn it before it sets up), which requires 44 Speed EVs. If your team struggles with Bisharp, try and fit on a better check to it such as Gliscor, Ferrothorn, faster variants of heatran, mega lopunny, etc. Anything faster that resists sucker punch can revenge kill it for the most part.

It really is not worth running that much speed, as it significantly takes away from rotoms bulk. The fastest thing you would want to outspeed is Jolly Belly Drum Azumarill (to burn it before it sets up), which requires 44 Speed EVs. If your team struggles with Bisharp, try and fit on a better check to it such as Gliscor, Ferrothorn, faster variants of heatran, mega lopunny, etc. Anything faster that resists sucker punch can revenge kill it for the most part.
Aight, thanks :]

What is Vaporeon's best attack if it can only run one (OU)? Scald? Surf? Hydro Pump? Some variant of Hidden Power? This is where I'm at;

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- ???

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
What is Vaporeon's best attack if it can only run one (OU)? Scald? Surf? Hydro Pump? Some variant of Hidden Power? This is where I'm at;

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- ???
Scald, defineately. The burn chance can really change games, to say the least.

Bulky waters as a rule love scald. And for good reason, it's an incredible move.

Actually, does anything use Surf any more for preference? Usually its either Scald or Hydro Pump.

Scald.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- ???
Scald will always be your go-to for bulky Water types. The Burn chance cripples physical attackers and gives you some good chip damage which is way better than a little extra power.

Bulky waters as a rule love scald. And for good reason, it's an incredible move.

Actually, does anything use Surf any more for preference? Usually its either Scald or Hydro Pump.
I run surf on Kingdra and ludicolo, Latios with surf is getting common nowadays. And I was considering on running surf on specs Keldeo but hpump nab some kills on common switching that are supposed to scare scarf pump variants.

Last edited:
No.. they only lose the immunity to ground type.
So the answer's yes? Let me rephrase;

A) Charizard switches into SR, and takes 50% damage.
B) Charizard switches into SR, and takes 25% damage.

Which is correct? Both assume Gravity is in place.

So the answer's yes? Let me rephrase;

A) Charizard switches into SR, and takes 50% damage.
B) Charizard switches into SR, and takes 25% damage.

Which is correct? Both assume Gravity is in place.
Intense gravity prevents Pokémon from reaping Ground-type immunity through flying or levitating and makes those Pokémon vulnerable to Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Arena Trap. Immunities from other types and Abilities still remain, so Steel-type Pokémon and Pokémon with Immunity are not affected by Toxic Spikes, and Poison-type Pokémon that are usually airborne will remove Toxic Spikes when switched in.

How vital is a speedy pokemon to a sticky web team? I have Shuckle, Bisharp, Heatran, Gourgiest-Super, Sylveon and M.Blastoise currently and am unsure if I should replace M.Blastoise with Starmie as a spinner.

How vital is a speedy pokemon to a sticky web team? I have Shuckle, Bisharp, Heatran, Gourgiest-Super, Sylveon and M.Blastoise currently and am unsure if I should replace M.Blastoise with Starmie as a spinner.
You'd need another Mega there unless you feel like making a mega-less team (which I would not recommend) if you take out Mega Blastoise. The problem with making your whole team slow and reliant on Sticky Web is that having your Shuckle Taunted wrecks your strategy. Defog also won't be fun. You could go Focus Sash Galvantula instead of Shuckle since Galvantula outspeeds more mons. You could also go scarf Heatran if your Sylveon is SpDf since Heatran won't have to tank the majority of special hits and will provide you with some speed.

You'd need another Mega there unless you feel like making a mega-less team (which I would not recommend) if you take out Mega Blastoise. The problem with making your whole team slow and reliant on Sticky Web is that having your Shuckle Taunted wrecks your strategy. Defog also won't be fun. You could go Focus Sash Galvantula instead of Shuckle since Galvantula outspeeds more mons. You could also go scarf Heatran if your Sylveon is SpDf since Heatran won't have to tank the majority of special hits and will provide you with some speed.
The thing with Galavantula is it can't set up more than once, and almost all good teams have a spinner/defogger. I also think ScarfTran seems quite weak, so I like to give it a S.Atk boosting item instead of a scarf. I could take out Heatran for something like scarfed Victini I guess, which would also give me better priority than Gourgiest-S. I'll test it and see.

Edit: Could I just not have a spinner at all? I find I rarely use rapid spin even when hazards are up, so could I just replace Blastoise with a fast mega like Manetric and be fine? Or what if I gave Shuckle a mental herb?

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mental Herb Sturdy Shuckle is guaranteed to get webs up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)