Doubles Whimsicott

Overview
########

Whimsicott's ability Prankster and its great support movepool allows it to disrupt the opponent's team while boosting its team's Speed with Tailwind. In addition, it has a blistering base 116 Speed, outspeeding even Thundurus, a more popular Prankster user. Furthermore, its new Fairy typing gives it a much-appreciated immunity and resistance to Dragon and Fighting, respectively, in addition to key resistances to Ground and Water. However, Whimsicott is still plagued by its frailty and lack of offensive presence. A misplay, two unresisted hits, or both can make Taunt bait or mincemeat out of Whimsicott, and you can't expect it to win anything one-on-one.

Team Support
########
set name: Team Support
move 1: Tailwind
move 2: Encore / Taunt
move 3: Helping Hand / Moonblast / Giga Drain
move 4: Protect
item: Sitrus Berry / Focus Sash
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
ability: Prankster

Moves
========
One of the most important facets of Doubles is Speed control, which Whimsicott easily counteracts with Tailwind. This move allows Whimsicott's partner to get the jump on faster Pokemon, especially Choice Scarf users such as Landorus-T, as well as counteracting negative effects such as a Speed drop from Icy Wind. Encore and Taunt do similar jobs: Encore interferes with setup sweepers and is disruptive to Pokemon with Trick Room, Fake Out, or and Protect; while, Taunt is generally better at stopping foes such as Cresselia and Amoonguss from using support moves or setting up Trick Room. Helping Hand gives partners the boost needed to KO an opposing Pokemon. Moonblast stops Whimsicott from being Taunt bait, hitting common Pokemon such as Hitmontop, Scrafty, and Terrakion. Giga Drain's usefulness is relative to its effectiveness; for example, it won't do decent damage or heal Whimsicott if it isn't hitting the foe for super effective damage, but it hits Rotom-W harder than the other options. Protect blocks Fake Out and other priority moves in addition to generally helping Whimsicott survive.

Set Details
========

216 Speed EVs allow it Whimsicott to outspeed and Taunt opposing maximum Speed Thundurus before it Taunts Whimsicott. Whismicott can relocate its Speed EVs into its Defense or Special Defense to improve its bulk, but this means Thundurus and Adamant Talonflame will outspeed Whimsicott. Sitrus Berry can be used because Whimsicott will usually switch into resisted attacks and typically survive a number of unresisted hits. Focus Sash can be used instead to allow Whimsicott to survive one more powerful hit, such as Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave or Talonflame's Brave Bird. Maximum HP investment is for all-around longevity, and Defense investment helps Whimsicott take physical spread moves such as Earthquake and Rock Slide.

Usage Tips
========

Cripple something with Encore or Taunt, boost with Tailwind, and, if Whimsicott it faints, its teammates can make the most out of the opportunities it creates. Its ability to disrupt common strategies such as Trick Room make it a good choice for a lead. Thanks to its Grass / Fairy typing, you can switch it into Water-, Ground-, Electric-, and Fighting-type Pokemon that only threaten it a little. Moonblast and Giga Drain are last-ditch moves; don't use Whimsicott for offense unless you are backed into a corner or need it to force switches. If Whimsicott is likely to be hit by Fake Out, use Protect first; Tailwind, Taunt, and Encore later. Encore is an obvious choice against setup sweepers and Protect or Fake Out—your opponent likely knows this as well, so don't waste Encore on obvious switches, even though it is beneficial to force the foe to use the same move. Taunt stops foes from using Trick Room, Spore, Rage Powder, and Follow Me, giving Whimsicott's partner a free turn to attack.

Team Options
========

Whimsicott is primarily a support Pokemon, so pair it with Pokemon that can take advantage of the opportunities it creates, such as Substitute users like Mega Mawile and Heatran, or setup sweepers such as Dragon Dance Mega Gyarados and Mega Kangaskhan. Deoxys-A is an especially terrifying partner that applies relentless offensive pressure. Slower Pokemon that can take advantage of Tailwind, such as Mega Heracross, Mamoswine, and Breloom, make for good partners. Pokemon that hate Speed control, such as Latios, Deoxys-A, and Choice Scarf users, appreciate the Taunt and Tailwind that Whimsicott provides. In return, they force all-important Protects, allowing Whimsicott to safely boost or switch out to maximize offensive potential. Ancient Power Heatran and Rotom-W enjoy Tailwind support and solidly check Talonflame, OHKOing it with Ancient Power and Hydro Pump, respectively.

Other Options
########

Focus Sash + Endeavor could drop a Pokemon into KO range for a partner. Light Screen gives a boost to your team's Special Defense. Beat Up coupled with a user of Justified can often lead to upwards of +6 Attack boosts; the most common abuser of this strategy is Terrakion, while Arcanine is a less common option. Memento drops a foe's Attack and Special Attack to -2 and can be used for when Whimsicott has done all it can. Stun Spore paralyzes foes and is difficult to avoid due to Prankster; it also is able to paralyze threats such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Excadrill, which are immune to Thunder Wave. U-turn could be used to maintain momentum, and Switcheroo can offload items with negative effects like Iron Ball or Flame Orb onto foes. SubSeed is a nice alternative set, but it is difficult to use in Doubles. Priority Sunny Day with Heat Rock is a good addition to sun teams, and an offensive set with Life Orb + Giga Drain could be run to take advantage of its Speed and movepool, but Whimsicott usually lacks the power to break targets.

Checks & Counters
########

**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Whismsicott is frail in general, so super effective moves make quick work of it, such as Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave, Scizor's Bullet Punch, and Talonflame's Brave Bird. Mega Gengar can trap Whimsicott and hit it hard with Sludge Wave. Fire- and Steel-types such as Heatran, Mega Charizard Y, Talonflame, Rotom-H, Scizor, Excadrill, and Bisharp can threaten to KO Whimsicott with their super effective STAB moves.

**Miscellaneous**: Aromatisse's Aroma Veil stops Whimsicott from using Taunt and Encore. Trick Room setters holding Mental Herb can get away with setting up in Whimsicott's face and can switch out if they fear Encore, and they can turn Tailwind into a liability. Whismicott loses most 1v1 situations mostly due to its damage output; its frailty contributes too but to a lesser degree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Remember that you don't need to start a new line for every sentence

Overview is fine. Just one nitpick
Its blistering 116 Speed, outspeeding even Thundurus-I -- a similarly popular Prankster -- in addition to its ability allow it to once again wreak havoc on the opponent's team while boosting its own with a much-needed Tailwind or some other gain.
As a general rule of thumb, it is better to mention the more important things first in a sentence or couple of sentences, as it helps highlight its importance. In this case, this importance difference is even more strongly exaggerated by how you've written it. From how you've written it, you suggest that speed is the most important aspect of Whimsicott. In reality it is the "in addition" part, its ability Prankster, that is its most important trait. So I mention Prankster first and hype it up more, but mention Speed afterwards and downplay it. This has also come up a few other times in both this analysis and your Mamoswine one (which I included in yesterday's QC check).

Moves
  • Preferred over Dazzling Gleam to avert being blocked by Wide Guard, as well as having stronger base power
    The bigger base power is more of a reason to use Moonblast over Dazzling Gleam than being blocked by Wide Guard. Similar to above
  • Also mention some of the common Pokemon that Giga Drain hits super-effectively. Mention the choice of Moonblast and Giga Drain depends on which Pokemon your team has a harder time with.
Set details
  • When you mention Taunting Thundurus, mention that you can Taunt it before it does the same to Whimsicott
  • I would AC the possibility of moving all your Speed investment into your defences to improve overall bulk, but then add that this makes Thundurus-I outspeed it and can shut it down with a faster Prankster Taunt, and Talonflame can Brave Bird it before it even moves.
Usage Tips
  • Cripple something with Encore or Taunt, current you don't say how you cripple something
  • Separate the points of crippling TR & being a good lead, and the second point of being able to switch into types, into two sentences. They are unrelated points
Team Options
  • In the last line, add Ancient Power to Heatran. You need to check Talonflame ASAP for Whimsicott, as without it, heatran will take a while with resisted Heat Wave

OO
  • mention Terrakion as an example of a Justified user. it's a bad strategy, but I rather see people using it on Terrakion than using it with Arcanine

Checks and Counters
  • With priority attacks, it should be noted that Whimsicott will move before most of them thanks to its high speed, but priority moves can make sure they move before Whismiscott's partner, even with Tailwind active
  • remove the part about speed for Gengar, as it's irrelevant against Whimsicott. However, mention that Mega Gengar has the advantage of trapping Whimsicott.
  • you mention Fire-tyes and Steel-types as categories. You can also have a category for Poison-types, which is where you can mention Gengar as well as Venasaur. Of note, these 3 categories resist both Fairy-type and Grass-type attacks.
  • Whismicott is losing most 1v1 situations mostly of its lack of damage output; its fraility contributes too but to a lesser degree
  • With Trick Room, also mention that they can turn Tailwind into a liabiity

Overall this was better written than the Mamoswine set. Looking at both the locked sets, this in part reflects largely how both sets were originally written, as your write-up of them is very similar to the locked documents them. For example, I told you not to use language like "buttloads" in the Mamoswine write-up, but it was present in that write-up too :)

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Moves
  • you have a line break between the points about encore and taunt, this isnt needed keep it as one paragraph
  • remove the bracket saying Rotom / Diancie are common, it's not needed. (the plural of Pokemon is just Pokemon, not Pokemons for future reference)
Set Details
  • Unless you can post the bulky spread, remove the comment about using a bulky spread since there isnt one there
  • remove the line breaks, it should all be one paragraph
Checks and Counters
  • "Whismicott is losing most 1v1 situations mostly of its lack of damage output; its frailty contributes too but to a lesser degree." <- belongs in the misc tab rather than offensive typing advantage.

For the most part, content is fine now. I'd recommend reading through your piece again and fixing obvious errors (stuff like this - are notable in this respectAnything that) you might also want to take a look at this, as I noticed there were a few standard smogon analysis rules that you broke a few times. GP would fix it but it's nice to get the hang of writing it properly straight off. Rules such as:
  • When a type name is directly followed by the word "type", a hyphen is used (Normal-type).
  • When listing multiple types, use a hyphen after each type (Water-, Flying-, and Normal-types).
were particularly noticeable for me since I too broke them when I first started writing.

In all honesty your writing is pretty impressive considering english isn't your first language, keep at it and you'll get there for sure.

I would like Darkmalice to check this again before it goe through to GP since he knows what he is looking for from his changes that he set you and I'd be undermining that if I stamped it.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You haven't updated most of my points Enki . You are free to disagree with them if you want, but you need to tell me why. I'll mention the changes you haven't implemented.

You still need to update my point above more emphasis on Prankster and less emphasis on Speed
(For reference, Whismiscott wouldn't change much if it were slower, where as it would be completely unviable without Prankster)

You have not updated my point about more emphasis on Moonblast doing more damage than Dazzling Gleam against a single target, as opposed to Wide Guard being the main reason.

Giga Drain's usefulness is relative to its effectiveness -- it won't do decent damage or healing if it isn't super-effective, but hits hard Rotom-W and Mega-Diancie
This isn't an ORAS analysis, so we're not including Mega-Diancie yet. It also does not hit Rotom-W hard (it only 3HKOes). You should say it hits Rotom-W harder than Moonblast.

You are free to disagree with them if you want, but you need to tell me why. Don't tell me you've implemented the changes when you haven't.

There is a bulky option, but without 216 on Speed, Taunt Thundurus and Brave Bird Talonflame outspeed Whimsicott.
Taunt Thundurus is usually the bulky variant, which won't run enough Speed EVs to outrun even minimum speed Whismicott. Remove Taunt. Also remove Brave Bird and replace it with Adamant. Jolly Talonflame will always outspeed Whimsicott regardless of Whimsicott's Speed EV investment. Brave Bird Talonflame refers to a Talonflame running Brave Bird, and every Talonflame runs Brave Bird.

You have not updated my point about stating how Whismicott cripples opposing Pokemon.

You have not updated my point about priority attacks in checks and counters.

Last edited:

Darkmalice

Level 3
I worked with Enki on IRC about this analysis

We got there

QC 3/3

GP team, keep in mind that English isn't his first language :)

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
########

The old "looks can be deceiving" cliché applies fully to this cottony trickster, new and improved for the sixth generation of Pokemon. Its ability Prankster allows it to once again wreck havoc on the opponent's team while boosting its team's Speed with a much-needed Tailwind. In addition, it has blistering 116 Speed, outspeeding even Thundurus-I, a more popular Prankster user. Furthermore, its new Fairy typing gives it a new and much-appreciated immunity and resistance to Dragon and Fighting, respectively, in addition to key resists it already has against Ground and Water. However, (AC) But it's not all sunshine and rainbows for Whimsicott: (remove colon) it's is still plagued by its frailty and lack of offensive presence. A misplay, two unresisted hits, or both, can make Taunt bait or mincemeat out of Whimsicott, and don't expect it to win anything one-on-one. That said, one has to understand that Whimsicott is more a team player than anything -- and in Doubles, where teamwork is a premium, look no further than this Pokemon to get that job done. (add "—" and remove any spaces surrounding it so the sentence should look like "more a team player than anything—and in Doubles")

Team Support
########

Moves
=======
One of the most important facets of Doubles is Speed control, which Whimsicott easily counteracts with Tailwind, allows allowing Whimsicott's partner to get the jump on faster Pokemon, especially scarfed 'mons like Pokemon such as Landorus-T, as well as counteracting negative effects such as a Speed drop from Icy Wind. Encore and Taunt do similar jobs: (add space) Encore interferes with setup (remove hyphen) sweepers, (RC) and is disruptive to Trick Room and Pokemon with Fake Out and Protect. However, (AC) Taunt is generally better at stopping foes such as Cresselia and Amoonguss from using support moves or setting up Trick Room checking opponents' support and TR set-up, like Cresselia and Amoonguss and support the partner with. (add period) Helping Hand's with gives partners the +1 boost needed to bring an opposing Pokemon into KO range. Moonblast stops Whimsicott from being Taunt bait, hitting common Pokemon like such as Hitmontop, Scrafty, and Terrakion, Moonblast is preferred over Dazzling Gleam due to it's stronger base power against a single target as well as not being blocked by Wide Guard (you don't mention Dazzling Gleam as an option, so if it's not mentioned anywhere due to it being outclassed I don't think there's any reason to say this here). Giga Drain's usefulness is relative to its effectiveness; (semi) for example, (AC) -- it won't do decent damage or healing heal Whimsicott if it isn't super-effective hitting the foe for super effective damage, but it hits Rotom-W harder than the other options. Protect blocks against Fake Out, (RC) among and other priority moves, (RC) and in addition to generally helping helps it to survive.

Set Details
========

216 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed and Taunt opposing Thundurus at with maximum Speed investment, (RC) before it Taunts Whimsicott. There is the option for Whismicott can to relocate its Speed EVs into its Defence or Special Defence to improve its bulk, but this means Thundurus and Adamant Talonflame will outspeed Whimsicott. Sitrus Berry can be is (this was changed because it is a slashed option) used, (AC) as Whimsicott will usually switch in on resisted attacks, (RC) and typically survive a number of unresisted hits. Focus Sash can be used instead to allow Whimsicott to survive more powerful hits, such as Mega Charizard Y's (remove hyphen) Heat Wave, (RC) and Talonflame's Brave Bird, etc. (no need for another paragraph) Maximum HP investment is for all-around survivability; (remove semi) and Defense investment helps Whimsicott take hits from physical is preferred as spread moves such as Earthquake and (EQ, (RC) Rock Slide) are more often physical.

Usage Tips
========

Cripple something with Encore or Taunt, boost with Tailwind, and, (AC) if it faints, your its teammates can make the most out of the opportunities it creates. Its ability to disrupt common strategies such as TR Trick Room make it a good choice for a lead. Thanks to its Grass / Fairy typing, (AC) type you can switch it in on Water-, Ground-, Electric-, (add hyphens) and Fighting-type Pokemon that only threaten it a little, (RC) but can not take hits very well that much. Partners that can apply good offensive pressure and force Protects which Whimsicott can Encore. Protect is a common move in Doubles. (I don't really understand what the first sentence is saying. The second sentence is not needed.) Moonblast and Giga Drain are last-ditch moves; don't use Whimsicott for offense unless you are backed into a corner, (RC) or need to use it for a free to force switches (I don't really get what this last part means either...). If Whimsicott is likely to be hit by Fake Out, use Protect first before anything, and use then Tailwind, (AC) / Taunt, (AC) and / Encore later. Encore is an obvious choice against setup (remove hyphen) sweepers and Protect/Fake Out -- Protect + Fake Out—your opponent likely knows this as well; that in mind, don't waste Encore on obvious switches, and even though it is beneficial good to force the opponent foe to use the same move. Taunt stops foes from using Trick Room setters, Spore, (AC) and Rage Powder, (AC) and or Follow Me, gives giving Whimsicott's the partner a free choice to hit turn to attack.

Team Options
============

Whimsicott is primarily a support Pokemon, so it's mostly about Pokemon that can take advantage of the it creates opportunities it creates for, like such as Substitute users like (Mega Mawile, (RC) and Heatran), (AC) or setup (remove hyphen) sweepers such as Dragon Dance (DDance Mega Gyarados, (RC) and Mega Kangaskhan). Deoxys-A is an especially terrifying partner that -- potential Fake Out and Protect users are threatened by Whimsicott's Encore as it (What?) applies relentless offensive pressure. Slower threats (they aren't threats if they're your teammates..) make excellent Pokemon that can who take advantage of Tailwind, (AC) such as -- Mega Heracross, Mamoswine, and Breloom, (AC) make for good partners are good examples. Pokemon that hate Speed control, (AC) such as (Latios, Deoxys-A, and Choice Scarf users), (AC) appreciate the Taunt and Tailwind -- that Whimsicott provides with Taunt makes a good partner for these. Conversely, they force all-important Protects, allowing Whimsicott to safely boost or switch out to maximize offensive potential. Ancient Power Heatran and Rotom-Wash enjoy Tailwind support and solidly check Talonflame, and OHKOing it Talonflame with Ancient Power or Hydro Pump, (AC) respectively.

Other Options
########

Coupling Giving Whimsicott a Focus Sash with and running Endeavor could drop a Pokemon into KO range for a partner,. (remove comma, add period) Light Screen gives a +1 boost to your team's Special Defense. Beat Up coupled with a user of Justified can often lead to upwards of +6 Attack boosts,; (comma -> semi) the most common abuser of this strategy in is Terrakion, while Arcanine is a less common option, but it is not a good strategy (if you were going to say why, maybe include why it's not good?). Memento drops both an opponent's Attack and Special Attack to -2, (RC) and can be used for when Whimsicott has done all it can. Stun Spore paralyzes opponents foes and is difficult to avoid due to Prankster. U-turn could be used to maintain momentum and allow more teammates to take advantage of Whimsicott boosts (what are Whimsicott boosts..?)., (period -> semi) and Switcheroo can offload items with negative effects like Iron Ball or Flame Orb onto opponents foes,. (comma -> period) SubSeed is a nice alternative set, but it is difficult to set use in Doubles and generally defeats Whimsicott's purpose of team support as opposed to keeping itself safe (Is it not a nice set?). Priority Sunny Day with Heat Rock is a good addition to sun teams, and an offensive set (with Life Orb + Giga Drain) could be run to take advantage of its Speed and movepool, but it usually lacks the power to break targets.

Checks & Counters
############

**Offensive Typing Advantage**: (this doesn't have to be bolded) Whismsicott is frail in general, so super effective (remove hyphen) moves make quick work of it, like such as Mega Charizard Y's (remove hyphen) Heat Wave, Scizor's Bullet Punch, and Talonflame's Brave Bird. On the topic of priority, Whismicott can move before most priority moves thanks to Prankster, but priority moves is still useful for outspeeding Whismicott's ally, which may have its Speed boosted by Whismicott's Tailwind. (I don't see how this relates to Pokemon that have an offensive type advantage versus Whimsicott) Mega Gengar can trap hits hard Whimsicott and hit it hard with Sludge Wave, and trape it. Fire- (add hyphen) and Steel-types such as like Heatran, Mega Charizard Y (remove hyphen), Talonflame, and Rotom-Heat, (AC) Scizor, (AC) Excadrill, (AC) and Bisharp can threaten to KO Whimsicott or kill with their super effective SE STAB moves. Steel-types do the same: Scizor, Excadrill, and Bisharp are notable in this respect. (add space) Anything that resists Fairy or Grass in general, not also, Gengar and Venusaur resist to both STABs.

**Miscellaneous**: (doesn't have to be bolded - but maybe you can be more specific? Such as "Pokemon that can stop Whimsicott from using support moves" - don't use that, but something better. You can also split this section up and have one saying "Powerful Attacking Moves" (referencing Whimsicott's frailty and inability to take hits) or "Pokemon that aren't affected by Taunt") Aromatisse's Aroma Veil stops Whimsicott from using Taunt or and Encore on itself or its teammates. Trick Room setters holding a Mental Herb can get away with setting up in Whimsicott's face, (RC) and can switch out if they fear Encore, (AC) but they can turn Tailwind into a liability (I don't really get this..). Whismicott is losing loses most 1v1 situations mostly of due to its lack of low damage output; its frailty contributes too but to a lesser degree.

1/2

Last edited:

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

The old "looks can be deceiving" cliché applies fully to this cottony trickster, whose new and improved for the sixth generation of Pokemon. Its ability Prankster allows it to once again wreck wreak havoc on the opponent's team while boosting its team's Speed with a much-needed Tailwind. In addition, it has a blistering base 116 Speed, outspeeding even Thundurus, a more popular Prankster user. Furthermore, its new Fairy typing gives it a new and much-appreciated immunity and resistance to Dragon and Fighting, respectively, in addition to key resistances it already has against to Ground and Water. However, Whimsicott: (remove colon) is still plagued by its frailty and lack of offensive presence. A misplay, two unresisted hits, or both, (remove comma) can make Taunt bait or mincemeat out of Whimsicott, and you can't don't expect it to win anything one-on-one. That said, one has to understand that Whimsicott is more a team player than anything—and in Doubles, where teamwork is invaluable a premium, look no further than this Pokemon to get that job done.

Team Support
########

Moves
======== (Add one equals sign)
One of the most important facets of Doubles is Speed control, which Whimsicott easily counteracts with Tailwind. (comma to period) This move allows allowing Whimsicott's partner to get the jump on faster Pokemon, especially Choice Scarf users scarfed Pokemon such as Landorus-T, as well as counteracting negative effects such as a Speed drop from Icy Wind. Encore and Taunt do similar jobs: Encore interferes with setup sweepers and is disruptive to Trick Room and Pokemon with Trick Room, Fake Out, (comma) or and Protect; (comma to semicolon) while However, Taunt is generally better at stopping foes such as Cresselia and Amoonguss from using support moves or setting up Trick Room. Helping Hand gives partners the +1 boost needed to KO bring an opposing Pokemon into KO range. Moonblast stops Whimsicott from being Taunt bait, hitting common Pokemon such as Hitmontop, Scrafty, and Terrakion. Giga Drain's usefulness is relative to its effectiveness; for example, it won't do decent damage or heal Whimsicott if it isn't hitting the foe for super effective damage, but it hits Rotom-W harder than the other options. Protect blocks against Fake Out and other priority moves in addition to generally helping Whimsicott it to survive.

Set Details
========

216 Speed EVs allow it Whimsicott to outspeed and Taunt opposing maximum Speed Thundurus with maximum Speed investment before it Taunts Whimsicott. Whismicott can relocate its Speed EVs into its Defense or Special Defense to improve its bulk, but this means Thundurus and Adamant Talonflame will outspeed Whimsicott. Sitrus Berry can be used, as used because Whimsicott will usually switch into on resisted attacks and typically survive a number of unresisted hits. Focus Sash can be used instead to allow Whimsicott to survive one more powerful hits, such as Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave and or Talonflame's Brave Bird. Maximum HP investment is for all-around longevity, survivability and Defense investment helps Whimsicott take hits from physical spread moves such as Earthquake and Rock Slide.

Usage Tips
========

Cripple something with Encore or Taunt, boost with Tailwind, and, if Whimsicott it faints, its teammates can make the most out of the opportunities it creates. Its ability to disrupt common strategies such as Trick Room make it a good choice for a lead. Thanks to its Grass / Fairy typing, you can switch it into on Water-, Ground-, Electric-, and Fighting-type Pokemon that only threaten it a little. Moonblast and Giga Drain are last-ditch moves; don't use Whimsicott for offense unless you are backed into a corner or need it to force switches. If Whimsicott is likely to be hit by Fake Out, use Protect first; (comma to semicolon) then Tailwind, Taunt, and Encore later. Encore is an obvious choice against setup sweepers and Protect or + Fake Out—your opponent likely knows this as well, so; that in mind, don't waste Encore on obvious switches, even though it is beneficial to force the foe to use the same move. Taunt stops foes from using Trick Room, Spore, Rage Powder, and Follow Me, giving Whimsicott's partner a free turn to attack.

Team Options
============

Whimsicott is primarily a support Pokemon, so pair it with Pokemon that can take advantage of the opportunities it creates, such as Substitute users like Mega Mawile and Heatran, or setup sweepers such as Dragon Dance Mega Gyarados and Mega Kangaskhan. Deoxys-A is an especially terrifying partner that applies relentless offensive pressure. Slower Pokemon that can take advantage of Tailwind, such as Mega Heracross, Mamoswine, and Breloom, make for good partners. Pokemon that hate Speed control, such as Latios, Deoxys-A, and Choice Scarf users, appreciate the Taunt and Tailwind that Whimsicott provides. In returnConversely, they force all-important Protects, allowing Whimsicott to safely boost or switch out to maximize offensive potential. Ancient Power Heatran and Rotom-W enjoy Tailwind support and solidly check Talonflame, OHKOing it with Ancient Power or and Hydro Pump, respectively.

Other Options
########

Giving Whimsicott a Focus Sash + (plus sign) and running Endeavor could drop a Pokemon into KO range for a partner. Light Screen gives a +1 boost to your team's Special Defense. Beat Up coupled with a user of Justified can often lead to upwards of +6 Attack boosts; the most common abuser of this strategy is Terrakion, while Arcanine is a less common option. Memento drops a foe's both an opponent's Attack and Special Attack to -2 and can be used for when Whimsicott has done all it can. Stun Spore paralyzes foes and is difficult to avoid due to Prankster. U-turn could be used to maintain momentum, and Switcheroo can offload items with negative effects like Iron Ball or Flame Orb onto foes. SubSeed is a nice alternative set, but it is difficult to use in Doubles. Priority Sunny Day with Heat Rock is a good addition to sun teams, and an offensive set with Life Orb + Giga Drain could be run to take advantage of its Speed and movepool, but Whimsicott it usually lacks the power to break targets.

Checks & Counters
############

**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Whismsicott is frail in general, so super effective moves make quick work of it, such as Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave, Scizor's Bullet Punch, and Talonflame's Brave Bird. Mega Gengar can trap Whimsicott and hit it hard with Sludge Wave. Fire- and Steel-types such as Heatran, Mega Charizard Y, Talonflame, Rotom-H, Scizor, Excadrill, and Bisharp can threaten to KO Whimsicott with their super effective STAB moves.

**Miscellaneous**: Aromatisse's Aroma Veil stops Whimsicott from using Taunt and Encore. Trick Room setters holding a Mental Herb can get away with setting up in Whimsicott's face and can switch out if they fear Encore, and but they can turn Tailwind into a liability. Whismicott loses most 1v1 situations mostly due to its damage output; its frailty contributes too but to a lesser degree.

2/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

The old "looks can be deceiving" cliché applies fully to this cottony trickster, whose new and improved for the sixth generation of Pokemon. Its ability Prankster allows it to once again wreck wreak havoc on the opponent's team while boosting its team's Speed with a much-needed Tailwind. In addition, it has a blistering base 116 Speed, outspeeding even Thundurus, a more popular Prankster user. Furthermore, its new Fairy typing gives it a new and much-appreciated immunity and resistance to Dragon and Fighting, respectively, in addition to key resistances it already has against to Ground and Water. However, Whimsicott: (remove colon) is still plagued by its frailty and lack of offensive presence. A misplay, two unresisted hits, or both, (remove comma) can make Taunt bait or mincemeat out of Whimsicott, and you can't don't expect it to win anything one-on-one. That said, one has to understand that Whimsicott is more a team player than anything—and in Doubles, where teamwork is invaluable a premium, look no further than this Pokemon to get that job done.

Team Support
########

Moves
======== (Add one equals sign)
One of the most important facets of Doubles is Speed control, which Whimsicott easily counteracts with Tailwind. (comma to period) This move allows allowing Whimsicott's partner to get the jump on faster Pokemon, especially Choice Scarf users scarfed Pokemon such as Landorus-T, as well as counteracting negative effects such as a Speed drop from Icy Wind. Encore and Taunt do similar jobs: Encore interferes with setup sweepers and is disruptive to Trick Room and Pokemon with Trick Room, Fake Out, (comma) or and Protect; (comma to semicolon) while However, Taunt is generally better at stopping foes such as Cresselia and Amoonguss from using support moves or setting up Trick Room. Helping Hand gives partners the +1 boost needed to KO bring an opposing Pokemon into KO range. Moonblast stops Whimsicott from being Taunt bait, hitting common Pokemon such as Hitmontop, Scrafty, and Terrakion. Giga Drain's usefulness is relative to its effectiveness; for example, it won't do decent damage or heal Whimsicott if it isn't hitting the foe for super effective damage, but it hits Rotom-W harder than the other options. Protect blocks against Fake Out and other priority moves in addition to generally helping Whimsicott it to survive.

Set Details
========

216 Speed EVs allow it Whimsicott to outspeed and Taunt opposing maximum Speed Thundurus with maximum Speed investment before it Taunts Whimsicott. Whismicott can relocate its Speed EVs into its Defense or Special Defense to improve its bulk, but this means Thundurus and Adamant Talonflame will outspeed Whimsicott. Sitrus Berry can be used, as used because Whimsicott will usually switch into on resisted attacks and typically survive a number of unresisted hits. Focus Sash can be used instead to allow Whimsicott to survive one more powerful hits, such as Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave and or Talonflame's Brave Bird. Maximum HP investment is for all-around longevity, survivability and Defense investment helps Whimsicott take hits from physical spread moves such as Earthquake and Rock Slide.

Usage Tips
========

Cripple something with Encore or Taunt, boost with Tailwind, and, if Whimsicott it faints, its teammates can make the most out of the opportunities it creates. Its ability to disrupt common strategies such as Trick Room make it a good choice for a lead. Thanks to its Grass / Fairy typing, you can switch it into on Water-, Ground-, Electric-, and Fighting-type Pokemon that only threaten it a little. Moonblast and Giga Drain are last-ditch moves; don't use Whimsicott for offense unless you are backed into a corner or need it to force switches. If Whimsicott is likely to be hit by Fake Out, use Protect first; (comma to semicolon) then Tailwind, Taunt, and Encore later. Encore is an obvious choice against setup sweepers and Protect or + Fake Out—your opponent likely knows this as well, so; that in mind, don't waste Encore on obvious switches, even though it is beneficial to force the foe to use the same move. Taunt stops foes from using Trick Room, Spore, Rage Powder, and Follow Me, giving Whimsicott's partner a free turn to attack.

Team Options
============

Whimsicott is primarily a support Pokemon, so pair it with Pokemon that can take advantage of the opportunities it creates, such as Substitute users like Mega Mawile and Heatran, or setup sweepers such as Dragon Dance Mega Gyarados and Mega Kangaskhan. Deoxys-A is an especially terrifying partner that applies relentless offensive pressure. Slower Pokemon that can take advantage of Tailwind, such as Mega Heracross, Mamoswine, and Breloom, make for good partners. Pokemon that hate Speed control, such as Latios, Deoxys-A, and Choice Scarf users, appreciate the Taunt and Tailwind that Whimsicott provides. In returnConversely, they force all-important Protects, allowing Whimsicott to safely boost or switch out to maximize offensive potential. Ancient Power Heatran and Rotom-W enjoy Tailwind support and solidly check Talonflame, OHKOing it with Ancient Power or and Hydro Pump, respectively.

Other Options
########

Giving Whimsicott a Focus Sash + (plus sign) and running Endeavor could drop a Pokemon into KO range for a partner. Light Screen gives a +1 boost to your team's Special Defense. Beat Up coupled with a user of Justified can often lead to upwards of +6 Attack boosts; the most common abuser of this strategy is Terrakion, while Arcanine is a less common option. Memento drops a foe's both an opponent's Attack and Special Attack to -2 and can be used for when Whimsicott has done all it can. Stun Spore paralyzes foes and is difficult to avoid due to Prankster. U-turn could be used to maintain momentum, and Switcheroo can offload items with negative effects like Iron Ball or Flame Orb onto foes. SubSeed is a nice alternative set, but it is difficult to use in Doubles. Priority Sunny Day with Heat Rock is a good addition to sun teams, and an offensive set with Life Orb + Giga Drain could be run to take advantage of its Speed and movepool, but Whimsicott it usually lacks the power to break targets.

Checks & Counters
############

**Miscellaneous**: Aromatisse's Aroma Veil stops Whimsicott from using Taunt and Encore. Trick Room setters holding a Mental Herb can get away with setting up in Whimsicott's face and can switch out if they fear Encore, and but they can turn Tailwind into a liability. Whismicott loses most 1v1 situations mostly due to its damage output; its frailty contributes too but to a lesser degree.
Thanks.
Lolk Whimsicott is done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)