Ladder Anything Goes

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Except staying true to the cartridge is something smogon official metas have always done. When gen 5 rolled around and forced team preview on everyone, did smogon say "we're not going to implement team preview because it would kill the entire lead metagame"? No, they sucked it up and went with what the cart did. Even in hackmons, where you've got all sorts of bonkers stuff going on - they recently(ish) had to enforce a strict 510 EV limit on everything because the game prevents you from battling with pokemon with more than 510 EVs.

Why should Anything Goes be any different, when it's effectively a "PSS passersby no restrictions singles" simulator?
Ok then let's make it so that if you use a sleep move on more than one Pokemon you automatically lose. Otherwise we aren't sticking to the standard cart rules, right? And we should definitely get rid of the percentage mod, since that's definitely not a part of the game. And let's also make a minute long timer that forces you to pick a move before it hits zero or you automatically pick the first move in your moveset.

We don't perfectly emulate the cart games at all, and this is no different.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why should you lose if you put more than one to sleep? Percentage mod is just useful
Because there are no in-game stops to putting two mons to sleep. But you're still breaking sleep clause, so you should instantly lose if you put two or more Pokemon to sleep.

And you know what else is useful? Not having to play for an hour even if you know you will win at the end of it.

Ok then let's make it so that if you use a sleep move on more than one Pokemon you automatically lose. Otherwise we aren't sticking to the standard cart rules, right? And we should definitely get rid of the percentage mod, since that's definitely not a part of the game. And let's also make a minute long timer that forces you to pick a move before it hits zero or you automatically pick the first move in your moveset...
Joke's on you, I want all of that to happen.

May I suggest an option to counter Moody or Baton Pass teams?

Smeargle @ Focus Sash or Leftovers
Ability: Moody or Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heart Swap
- Baton Pass
- Something
- Something

Heart Swap takes all their boost and gives them to you, virtually reseting their boost. Same thing than Haze except you take them for you. Then Baton Pass to give all that shit to something in your team and save Smeargle for later.

He can either go for Moody if you want to use him as a booster vs non BP Teams (his other moveslots can be Spore / Substitute / Etc), or Own Tempo if you want to use him as a lead in offensive teams (his other moveslots can be Stealth Rock / Sticky Web / Toxic Spikes / Etc). The Own Tempo one can even be usefull vs Klefki teams.

Moody/BP teams are horrific, especially when they start with Minimize. Mostly, all you can do is rage. Unless:

Arceus @ Silk Scarf or Leftovers
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Extremespeed
- Perish Song

*EVs are fairly random. Max attack, faster than a Smeargle, some bulk idk.

This is a utility counter for most types of bullshit a Smeargle can pull. Try to make sure you have rocks down early. Then bring in Arceus on a Moody/Minimize spammer before it gets too boosted. Throw up a Sub to block Spore, then Extremespeed to kill. If its evasion is up, use Perish Song to force it out and switch.

Getting a Sub up is important to protect it from Darkrai and whatnot. If you get the chance to use Swords Dance, you've got an Extremekiller on your hands, which murders most of the game except for like Klefki.

(Klefki is a bitch, it'll use Prankster Sub to PP stall you. Perish Song that bitch too.)

Or, y'know, there's Aura Sphere and Sacred Sword... moves that ignore evasion, and are on generally good Pokemon so you don't need to resort to gimmicky Pokes to end a BP chain? Or the good ol'fashioned Mind Reader/Sheer Cold Articuno, which is alone scary enough to end a BP chain, and is a threat to any walling poke as well?

When the Evasion poke BPs, you switch to your BP-chain ender and END IT. Aegislash FTW.

Minimize Driflim can TWave Aura Sphere / Sacred Sword users to get the prz on them (virtually giving them 25% acc). He can also stall both moves and use Minimize for the +6 Evasion.

Mew (almost omnipresent on BP Chains) can switch into Aura Sphere and Amnesia to make sure Aura Sphere cant break a sub. Once you are at +6 no Aura Sphere can touch you.

Scolipide (almost omnipresent on BP Chains) can switch into Sacred Sword and Iron Defense to make sure Sacred Sword cant break a sub. Once you are at +6 no Sacred Sword can touch you.

Also ROFL on the MindReader/SheerCold Articuno. Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. SheerCold cant bypass a sub. And you can EASILY PP stall SheerCold with Sub.

Exactly right - just because you can hit something doesn't mean you're gonna have any effect on it. The point of Perish Song is that it bypasses subs and boosts. The reason it's Arceus using it is simply that it's the best thing in the game that gets it - the Extremekiller set is no less effective in AG. If they don't have Smeargle or whatever, then just sub, SD, and kill things like the good old days.

As for 'lol gimmicky', sure it is. But this is Anything Goes, where gimmicky shit reigns supreme. If I can spend one moveslot on an excellent poke to disrupt an entire strategy, then I'll take it.

Sacred Sword also ignores defense boosts.
Exarctly. It's a pocket Unaware move.

I think that's one of the (many) reasons that Aegislash is consistently high-ranked in the actual cart on Singles; it gives you an option to hit evasion-boosters, and because you've only got 3 pokes each one has to be versatile. Sacred Sword is used MORE than Flash Cannon; the typical build is King's Shield/Shadow Sneak/Shadow Ball/Sacred Sword.

And while I'm aware a 3v3 online isn't the same thing as a 6v6 Anything Goes Including Legendaries Even Game Freak Doesn't Allow In Their Competitive Matches (not as catchy...), studying the adaptations their metagame made is helpful.

By the way, is anyone else oldschool anime fan enough to think Anything-Goes School of Martial Arts?

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Exarctly. It's a pocket Unaware move.

I think that's one of the (many) reasons that Aegislash is consistently high-ranked in the actual cart on Singles; it gives you an option to hit evasion-boosters, and because you've only got 3 pokes each one has to be versatile. Sacred Sword is used MORE than Flash Cannon; the typical build is King's Shield/Shadow Sneak/Shadow Ball/Sacred Sword.

And while I'm aware a 3v3 online isn't the same thing as a 6v6 Anything Goes Including Legendaries Even Game Freak Doesn't Allow In Their Competitive Matches (not as catchy...), studying the adaptations their metagame made is helpful.

By the way, is anyone else oldschool anime fan enough to think Anything-Goes School of Martial Arts?
This is a bit late but your reasoning for why Aegislash uses Sacred Sword is not true, it uses Sacred Sword because of its literally perfect neutral coverage with shadow nall

That is somewhat true, but the only common magic bouncer in AG is Mega Diancie and that can be handled by using Flash Cannon on one Klefki to beat Diancie, also Ground types are harder to handle but they can be beaten by Swagger confusion plus Foul Play.

I don't know about most viable, but here are the Top 10 most used Mons at the 1760 AG Benchmark. Basically status abuse and BP/Moody, along with the strongest offensive threats in Ubers.

1 | Rayquaza | 66.54640%
2 | Klefki | 63.63702%
3 | Arceus | 56.78001%
4 | Groudon | 40.79504%
5 | Darkrai | 29.41774%
6 | Smeargle | 26.42452%
7 | Kyogre | 25.10104%
8 | Glalie | 22.13287%
9 | Xerneas | 20.49912%
10 | Ditto | 16.53595%

Those teams are really bad complete shit and you'll never see one in high ladder.
I don't know about most viable, but here are the Top 10 most used Mons at the 1760 AG Benchmark. Basically status abuse and BP/Moody, along with the strongest offensive threats in Ubers.

1 | Rayquaza | 66.54640%
2 | Klefki | 63.63702%
3 | Arceus | 56.78001%
4 | Groudon | 40.79504%
5 | Darkrai | 29.41774%
6 | Smeargle | 26.42452%
7 | Kyogre | 25.10104%
8 | Glalie | 22.13287%
9 | Xerneas | 20.49912%
10 | Ditto | 16.53595%
I still don't know why people keep using moody pokemon that much, they are incredibly easy to deal with shit.

d:^~)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)