Almost Any Ability ORAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh... I see. So we're living in super priority land.

Is there a top threat list? Or maybe a top abilities list? It's clear that the ate abilities and gale wings are around. I'd also assume adaptability, tough claws, and sheer force are common. Just looking for a starting place to get my feet wet.

Oh... I see. So we're living in super priority land.

Is there a top threat list? Or maybe a top abilities list? It's clear that the ate abilities and gale wings are around. I'd also assume adaptability, tough claws, and sheer force are common. Just looking for a starting place to get my feet wet.
sheer force isn't as common as you think. but pokemon like adapt bisharp, poison heal suicune and unaware crocune, poison heal cress, and FF swarm are common.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, just poking in, very new to AAA. Thinking of stuff.

How viable is Unburden in AAA? Sounds like it could work well in conjunction with White Herb, Absorb Bulb, Cell Battery, Snow Ball, Red Card, or holy crap weakness policy. Maybe even substitute/stat boosting berry?
Or tricking a choice item onto a wall and setting up nasty plot?
I have used White Herb Unburden Kyurem before (with Draco Meteor), and it's pretty decent. Unburden is certainly a very cool, underrated, and unexpected ability. What I like the most is that it does not show the unburden boost, resulting in some very funny surprise kills and confused opponents.

There is a viability ranking thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-viability-rankings-discussion-stage.3517258/

^Gimmicky as that is, that actually inspired me lol. Let's see what else:

Scizor @ Red Card
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- Baton Pass/Roost/Iron Head
Enough bulk to effectively use Red Card, high Attack and ability to boost and have priority Roost make Scizor a possibly decent user of Gale Wings. Interesting indeed.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid/Naive/Modest Nature
- Defog/Nasty Plot
- Hurricane
- Giga Drain/Leaf Storm/Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse/Knock Off/Nasty Plot
Shiftry gets priority Defog with Gale Wings and can potentially sweep with Nasty Plot Hurricane, acting like Togekiss, but with a different typing. Interesting, but most likely outclassed.

Blaziken @ Life Orb/Choice Band/Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird/Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Blaze Kick/Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance/Substitute/Knock Off
Another interesting gimmick that has a perfect STAB combo to complement Flying. Unlike Staraptor or Braviary, Blaziken can use Swords Dance and can use its Fire moves to beat Doublade, Aegislash and Zapdos.

Non-flying type Gale Wings seems interesting on these three Pokemon, though they probably won't make much of an impact on the metagame. Who knows what the future holds?

Blaziken @ Life Orb/Choice Band/Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird/Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Blaze Kick/Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance/Substitute/Knock Off
Another interesting gimmick that has a perfect STAB combo to complement Flying. Unlike Staraptor or Braviary, Blaziken can use Swords Dance and can use its Fire moves to beat Doublade, Aegislash and Zapdos.

Non-flying type Gale Wings seems interesting on these three Pokemon, though they probably won't make much of an impact on the metagame. Who knows what the future holds?
I used this before the protean ban (with SD/BB/Flare Blitz/HJK) and I have to say it's pretty effective. None of the typical anti-birds can stand up to it's STAB which means its priority brave bird will often go unresisted, and with swords dance alongside life orb or sharp beak it doesn't even need STAB on brave bird to cause serious havoc. Unfortunately it's weak to flying itself which means the now very common skarmory can force it out (though it would take some serious balls to switch in on it) but Magnet Pull remedies this.

I've seen this set on the ladder before. I've never used it so I don't know how effective it is, but it seems decent, although walled by skarmory.

Gliscor @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics
- Roost

I've seen this set on the ladder before. I've never used it so I don't know how effective it is, but it seems decent, although walled by skarmory.

Gliscor @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics
- Roost
that set is really walled by skarm then again skarm is the best wall to all gliscor sets

Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn
- Lava Plume
Im a monotype battler so i havent used this in regular AAA but boy this set is god. 1st turn you set up rocks, opponent doesnt expect the magic bounce and uses sticky web (example) you then proceed to use yawn, shuffling through the opponents team and causing more stealth rock damage, and if a pokemon stays in, they fall asleep and its a perfect chance for you to bring in your counter/check or setup sweeper and satrt setting up.

(yes crystal avatar cuz wynaut)
Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
Another fire type. This time, a very powerful revenge killer, but i wouldnt go as far to say its a wallbreaker. Ive used this thing for afew matches and oh boy this thing wrecked house. I OHKOed a volcarona with eruption lel.Also can actually live a hit or two from previous water type counters and use solarbeam to ohko or at least deal some damage. It also 3 OHKOes Umbreon and Cresselia. Lol, you dont believe me? Hahaha

252 SpA Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cresselia in Sun: 195-231 (43.9 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon in Sun: 195-231 (49.4 - 58.6%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

Definetely something to be afraid of.

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Stealth Rock

Traps steel types, then kills them. Levitate and flash fire can't get away. Neither can Skarmory, thanks to HP electric. Stealth Rock is filler, Ancient Power is usable over HP Electric or Stealth Rock. Pretty simple, but I think it's a nice alternative to standard Drought + Mega spam on things like humps.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
so Kl4ng and I are fucking around with Diancie-Mega a lot and I personally think it has the potential to be the best anti-metagame mon and one of the best mons in AAA in general if you support it correctly.

Pros:
  • Set up moves like CM and RP
  • Regenerator in base form to pivot around
  • Magic Bounce can be good depending on team matchup
  • Great movepool
  • Skill swap is an amazing tutor move that lets it mess with lots of shit rn
  • Great defenses in base form to pivot on with
  • Really fucking strong for having to use mixed stats
  • Like really fucking strong
  • No I'm not kidding its really fucking strong (for a mixed attacker)
  • Earth power to shit on tran
  • AMAZING typing, like you may think I'm joking but its better than you think- for example
  • Beats pretty much all gale wings users (hope for hurricane not to hax, and use hp fire or hp elec for skarm
  • Checks Bisharp cause EP killz and fairy type for SP
  • Checks Victini
  • Beats latias n latios depending on speed investment and latias/latios set variant
  • Beats lots of type coverage rn, like it used to beat deo-s while still in base form (it needed regenerator to soak hits like that imo) before protean was banned and it still beats many good mixed attackers rn
  • Amazing speed tier upon mega
Cons:
  • Kinda matchup based depending on your set (cm winz v stall usually, mixed and rp win vs HO well, CM and mixed are good v balance)
  • Having to mega and use base 50 speed for one turn SUCKS
  • Weak to steel and a bunch of other shit like water lol
  • Auto loses to cune unless you have CM rest or a lot of CMz up or you use pixilate base form with explosion which is pretty bad
  • If you don't have a non damage move you lose to boosted bisharp SP
  • You lose to phys. def delta stream zapdos if u dun have rocks and depending on set (like CM wins, but mixed and rp have SOME trouble)
  • No items (rip life orb)
  • Hard time with vaps if no CM
  • Not bulky enough post mega

So that was my "shortened" list of diancie pros/cons, hope you learned something. I might post a full guide sometime in the near future

I can't post replay or sets rn cause I haven't finalized them so they'll be in the full guide comin sometime soon hopefully

Id just like to post this here

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Poison Heal
-Psycho Shift
-Toxic
-Moonlight
-Moonblast/Lunar Dance

Basically a variant on standard cresshealia but with moar recovery and doesn't care as much about koff or getting statused first turn.

252+ Atk Tough Claws Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Cresselia: 216-255 (48.6 - 57.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and Poison Heal

this is the strongest physical attacker in the tier without SE stab

252+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 104 SpD Cresselia: 224-265 (50.4 - 59.6%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Poison Heal

Strongest special attacker without SE stab

canno

formerly The Reptile
M-Diance is a lot of fun. I'm a shitter and use Download on the mix set and, while probably not the best (I think I like Regen the best and having a constant Magic Bounce is really nice), Download has been pretty fun to use. Getting a free +1 to either of your offenses is cute. Just bring a Water counter/check like Water Absorb Magnezone or something for a teammate.

M-Diance is a lot of fun. I'm a shitter and use Download on the mix set and, while probably not the best (I think I like Regen the best and having a constant Magic Bounce is really nice), Download has been pretty fun to use. Getting a free +1 to either of your offenses is cute. Just bring a Water counter/check like Water Absorb Magnezone or something for a teammate.
Confirming that Download Mixed M-Diancie is fun and useful (Rock Polish is nice for the fourth slot), but it needs defensive suppport, because it has some particularly relevant weaknesses and runs a defense-dropping Nature usually. Perhaps Ferrothorn would be a good partner? It can switch into a fair number of the attacks that trouble Diancie.

Id just like to post this here

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Poison Heal
-Psycho Shift
-Toxic
-Moonlight
-Moonblast/Lunar Dance

Basically a variant on standard cresshealia but with moar recovery and doesn't care as much about koff or getting statused first turn.

252+ Atk Tough Claws Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Cresselia: 216-255 (48.6 - 57.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and Poison Heal

this is the strongest physical attacker in the tier without SE stab

252+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 104 SpD Cresselia: 224-265 (50.4 - 59.6%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Poison Heal

Strongest special attacker without SE stab
Dunno about this one. I'd personally prefer to have the passive recovery and status absorption be activated reliably than have the possibility of both Leftovers and PH recovery (and even then, Cresselia learns Trick). This is also setup bait for anything offensive that isn't unduly bothered by Toxic or Moonblast (PHers, Steel-types, some Magic Bouncers).

My point being, admittedly not having actually run this set, I'd rather use the Unaware or standard Poison Heal sets (depending on the team). I could be convinced otherwise with replays, however.

Plain old Regenerator on MegaBro sounds effective enough. Then again, Prankster recovery is also much better. Should work well with Scald/Toxic.

I run volt absorb. Something to block volt switchers is always amazing on stall teams, and it also gives a decent backup check to physical victinis.

Also it pretty much deals with thundy if I'm not mistaken.
yep, the most common sets being mixed refridge and nasty plot sheer force are dealt with, as it takes very little from knock off thanks to holding a mega stone, and it resists focus blast, hidden power ice, and psychic I guess. pretty good as it stops one of the few special attackers that can beat chansey/snorlax with the mixed set (knock off->superpower) and therefore a strong wallbreaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)