Other Stall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk if this has been mentioned yet, but Wish + Heal Bell is legal on Chansey/Blissey now, btw.

Also, I'd like some help with a Stall team I'm currently constructing. I want to base it around CM-Mega Sableye. Right now I'm considering using the Skarmory+Chansey/Blissey Walling core. The only reason I was considering using Blissey is because I was thinking about using Hippowdon as a complementary Physical wall to Skarmory to help it wall the things it has trouble with. Passive Sand damage would be really nice, but Chansey doesn't really like Sand and at least Leftovers on Blissey would mitigate the Sand damage.

Any tips or ideas?

Idk if this has been mentioned yet, but Wish + Heal Bell is legal on Chansey/Blissey now, btw.
I'm pretty sure that Heal Bell has always been legal with Wish, at least since HGSS (Get the Wish Egg in FRLG, transfer to HGSS/B2W2 and move tutor it). Aromatherapy is still illegal due to Aromatherapy being an egg move on Happiny and Chansey which you cannot get with an event 'mon.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Also, I'd like some help with a Stall team I'm currently constructing. I want to base it around CM-Mega Sableye. Right now I'm considering using the Skarmory+Chansey/Blissey Walling core. The only reason I was considering using Blissey is because I was thinking about using Hippowdon as a complementary Physical wall to Skarmory to help it wall the things it has trouble with. Passive Sand damage would be really nice, but Chansey doesn't really like Sand and at least Leftovers on Blissey would mitigate the Sand damage.

Any tips or ideas?
Well Tentacruel + M-Sableye perform a very efficient anti hazard core which would allow you to hazard stack with Spikes Skarmory on top of Rock setter, which seems like Hippowodon right now. After that it depends on what else you want to add and what your team needs to check. Blissey is usually the option for teams, especially stall, that are Lando-I weak for the most part if they're not running something like Cresselia, Bronzong, or Specially Defensive Gliscor. I usually prefer the bulk that Chansey provides in most cases though especially in a metagame where Greninja roams about and cleans up through its coverage options and power so there's that. A dedicated Knock Off absorber would help to but this is more secondary such as Chesnaught for example purposes. You don't want to dedicate the role of Knock Off absorber to just M-Sableye as it'll get worn down repeatedly through doing this. My only issue with passive sand damage on stall builds is that it hinders the longevity of your teammates and potentially could land them in KO range or in range where you're extremely pressured to stay alive. So if you do go this route you'll need to build using stuff that isn't prone to sand as much such as MG Clefable, Amoonguss, Ground types, etc.

Deluks917

Ride on Shooting Star
If you run stall on the ladder be warned that gothitelle is now common near the top. The most used set is trick/calm mind/rest/psychic move. It is very difficult to avoid getting your chansey trapped by that set. And goth can also trap other things such as tentacruel or cripple quagsire. I wonder if its possible to build a stall team able to handle goth.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
If you run stall on the ladder be warned that gothitelle is now common near the top. The most used set is trick/calm mind/rest/psychic move. It is very difficult to avoid getting your chansey trapped by that set. And goth can also trap other things such as tentacruel or cripple quagsire. I wonder if its possible to build a stall team able to handle goth.
Yeah I don't think stall can be that passive to the point of being successful while being able to somehow fend off Gothitelle as well as the rest of the threats it has to contend with. This actually sort of applies to stall vs the meta in general. Jukain and I had a really small discussion a couple of days ago unrelated mostly but he mentioned something small in about BD Azumarill being one of the bane of stall right now. Now I know I myself run Unaware users to fend off this for the most part so this isn't exactly an issue with most of my builds but what he said does hold some weight. Realistically, especially with stall, you will never be able to take into account every single threat in the meta and off of teambuilding alone. There are too many factors to take into account for that to be possible. You can design the team to mitigate these general weaknesses to everything as much as possible. However sooner or later you're going to have to apply pressure and be more proactive than reactive, with the latter being something that Stall generally emphasizes a bit more than other playstyles. The more passive your stall build, imo, the more opportunity cost there is in running it and being able to utilize it successfully. That's just me from what I've seen and used though sure plenty of people have different takes on it.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
BD Azumarill is one of those threats that isn't that common but not so uncommon that you can afford to be clean swept by it on the same token...problem is, the list of answers is a little small. The best defensive ones are Unaware Clefable, Quagsire, Mega Venu, Rotom-W, Leaf Storm and/or Modest Celebi, and fast Chesnaught. The 'bane of stall' is exaggerating what I meant; it can be rather limiting, however.

Reactions: AM
If you run stall on the ladder be warned that gothitelle is now common near the top. The most used set is trick/calm mind/rest/psychic move. It is very difficult to avoid getting your chansyey trapped by that set. And goth can also trap other things such as tentacruel or cripple quagsire. I wonder if its possible to build a stall team able to handle goth.
This is completely true. I've lately started to include a heavy hitter leaning more towards semi-stall.
I have encountered many teams with a stallbreaker+ wallbreaker or even 2 stallbreakers as high as in 1650 range. Instead of just raging, I've started to adapt.

The problem with Gothielle is that it will cripple 1 mon, kill another and then comeback later even if you force it out with something like M-Sableye or unaware clefable meaning even if you do have an answer, you cannot switch it in. It puts so much prediction pressure it's unbelievable. It can even trick your unaware Clefable and proceed to PP stall it. I hate that thing with a passion. You need to do not very stally things to deal with it once and for all like strong pursuit trapping.

how does stall deal with sd sr lum chomp+mega heracross and tbolt gengar(my personal coverage move because fuck tentacruel)
i'm really curious
Unaware clefable handles 1st two well. Cross also sort of handled by doublade and gliscor, Maltaria shaky answer, so is skarm.

Gengar beat by Blissey, SPD hippo, SPD Gliscor

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Mega Heracross: Doublade, Acrobatics Gliscor, Physical Defensive Unaware Clefable (kinda)
SD Chomp: Quagsire, Slowbro (with ice beam), Cresselia, Physical Defensive Unaware Clefable
Gengar: SpD Gliscor (with knock off), Mega Zard X, SpD Hippowdon, SpD Mandibuzz

people still use doublade?

also, i chose those mons specifically because garchomp gets rocks up almost 100% of the time and tbolt gar spinblocks and fucks mandibuzz

its more than just the threat the mons pose offensively

Doublade is still kinda usable. It makes a great check to any Mega Altaria not carrying Fire Blast, it completely walls any Mega Metagross that runs Hammer Arm > Earthquake, and it shuts down non-HP Fire Mega Sceptile to name a few examples, so it's does pretty well against some of the new threats while still handling what it used to back in XY. It's not as good as it once was since being able to beat the old "big 3" isn't as big of a deal anymore (Mega Medicham in particular is basically irrelevant thanks to Mega Gallade, who beats Doublade with Knock Off), but it still has a niche on some defensive teams.

SketchUp

Referring to post 1276 and 1331 for defensive coverage against many common threats. However, both of these posts were in the XY era so the ORAS mega's are not included. This is at the moment just a W.I.P. so if someone knows some other counters to a certain mega just tell me

Mega Gallade
Unaware Clefable, Mega Sableye,
Mega Altaria and Stallbreaker Talonflame checks

Mega Diancie
Bronzong, Chansey, Cresselia, SpD Jirachi, SpD Mega Slowbro
Scizor if no HP Fire

Mega Altaria
Bronzong, Skarmory (if no fire blast)
Rotom-Heat, Mega Venusaur

Mega Swampert
Celebi, Chesnaught, Gyarados, Tangrowth

Mega Sceptile
Doublade if no HP Fire
Chansey, Sylveon, Jirachi, Bronzong

Mega Sableye
Clefable, Sylveon, Mega Altaria with either Substitute or Heal Bell

Mega Slowbro
CM Unaware Clefable, Suicune can pressure stall, Mew can taunt it and if it gets the burn, slowbro will get burned too, NP Celebi

Mega Metagross
Bronzong
Slowbro, Alomomola if no Grass Knot
Doublade if no Earthquake
Skarmory, Mandibuzz if no Hammer Arm

Mega Lopunny
Hippowdon, Cresselia, Chesnaught, Bronzong
Basically every physical wall that resists HJK has a good chance

DD Mega Gyarados
Chesnaught, Mega Altaria, Mandibuzz, Granbull

Greninja
Tentacruel, Empoleon, Alomomola, Gyarados and Jirachi all have a chance depending on the moveset.
Porygon2 is the best counter no matter what his moveset it.

If anyone knows some more counters to M-Gallade, M-Gyarados and M-Sableye, please tell me. There are probably more counters than listed atm but I can't think of them right now

Last edited:
Referring to post 1276 and 1331 for defensive coverage against many common threats. However, both of these posts were in the XY era so the ORAS mega's are not included. This is at the moment just a W.I.P. so if someone knows some other counters to a certain mega just tell me

Mega Gallade
Unaware Clefable, Mega Sableye,
Mega Altaria and Stallbreaker Talonflame checks

Mega Diancie
Bronzong, Chansey, Cresselia, SpD Jirachi, SpD Mega Slowbro
Scizor if no HP Fire

Mega Altaria
Bronzong, Skarmory (if no fire blast)
Rotom-Heat, Mega Venusaur

Mega Swampert
Celebi, Chesnaught, Gyarados, Tangrowth

Mega Sceptile
Doublade if no HP Fire
Sylveon, Jirachi, Bronzong

Mega Sableye
Clefable, Sylveon

Mega Slowbro
CM Unaware Clefable, Suicune can pressure stall, Mew can taunt it and if it gets the burn, slowbro will get burned too, NP Celebi

Mega Metagross
Bronzong
Slowbro, Alomomola if no Grass Knot
Doublade if no Earthquake
Skarmory, Mandibuzz if no Hammer Arm

Mega Lopunny
Hippowdon, Cresselia, Chesnaught, Bronzong
Basically every physical wall that resists HJK has a good chance

DD Mega Gyarados
Chesnaught, Mega Altaria
Zapdos, Ferrothorn can tank a hit and do some nice damage, but can't kill it

Greninja
Tentacruel, Empoleon, Alomomola, Gyarados and Jirachi all have a chance depending on the moveset.
Porygon2 is the best counter no matter what his moveset it.

If anyone knows some more counters to M-Gallade, M-Gyarados and M-Sableye, please tell me. There are probably more counters than listed atm but I can't think of them right now

Pretty sweet. Also I love how you don't mention the very passive mon that Chansey is. The more proactive the counters are, the better the stall team imo.

Zapdos doesn't counter Mega Gyara, it's only a check.

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 213-252 (55.4 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
68 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 200-236 (60.4 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Replace Zapdos with Mandibuzz, who can counter it outside of flinch hax.

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 171-202 (40.3 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 135-159 (40.7 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 229-270 (54 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 180-212 (54.3 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

SketchUp

I didn't actually say they were counters, just they could tank a hit and to like 70% damage. Ferrothorn can do the same with Power Whip; so after some chip damage, zapdos and ferrothorn can both win.
I'll add Mandibuzz

Well, you actually did say at the bottom "If anyone knows some more counters to M-Gallade, M-Gyarados..." implying that the ones you already listed were counters. Just sayin. I learned the thing about Zapdos the hard way, it's pretty frail for a general physical wall and can only really wall a threat if the STABs are resisted and it lacks a SE coverage move.

SketchUp

Yeah, you're right there. It's basically a list with counters for the mega's so no place for pokemon that are not even good checks :p

Chansey will take Gren, why you didn't mention it I don't know. Chansey will also take Sceptile... With Seismic toss, both match ups are easy wins.

MAlt is one of the single best answers to sableye in the game with heal bell or sub offensive sets and hyper voice sets available. Tentacruel can check Sableye pretty well with acid spray... Which is basically countering it so w/e. Slowbro-Mega will take Swampert Mega well.

Chansey will take Gren, why you didn't mention it I don't know. Chansey will also take Sceptile... With Seismic toss, both match ups are easy wins..
40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 222-263 (34.5 - 40.9%) -- 55.1% chance to 2HKO after 3 layers of Spikes
40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 221-265 (34.4 - 41.2%) -- 53.5% chance to 2HKO after 3 layers of Spikes

If Chansey wants to be taking on Greninja, it needs to stay above 25% health or it risks being 2HKOed as it switches in. Given it's lack of passive recovery and how easy it is to do 25% to it (SR is doing 12.5% already, and basically everything can deal 12.5%), it'll be giving up a lot of free turns in order to stay above that level. Given how bad being a momentum kill in Stall is right now, I'd hesitate to add Chansey as a Greninja counter.

First off, why people don't run max HP chansey is beyond me. The special bulk difference is miniscule even with an eviolite and it saves you about 5% on both of those attacks.

40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 221-265 (31.3 - 37.6%) -- 85.5% chance to 3HKO

It's a fine Greninja counter because it works in practice. Yes, where it matters most. Chansey just rarely gets that low, and if it does you check Gren, heal up and never get into that issue again. Gren still has longevity issues when you draw out the fight vs it. Because you're preaching about momentum, I assume you're talking a sableye team since it's really the only team that needs it to any degree... needs because sable has a sufficient lack of bulk for something with magic bounce (A consistent problem with all magic bouncers, so compared to them he is relatively bulky.). So in that scenario, where are you getting three layers of spikes? If you're using a sable team and you've let them spike you with three layers, you must be pretty damn bad.

And let's get one thing straight: Stall, by nature, is a 'momentum kill'. Don't ever think it's anything else. You can pressure, you can create switches and you can make plays, but YOU are doing that, not the stall team. Because of the inherent lack of speed, the general lack of power and the usual need for recovery, stall teams are always going to be able to be pushed on the back foot. If you think you can consistently keep pressure throughout a match with a stall team, you're dead wrong. As soon as they use U-turn, taunt, Baton pass, a boosting move or move into a threat, whatever you've been doing doesn't matter: You play on their terms because even when you do all of this, your opponent may have a mon that simply invalidates what you do. And for stall teams, that's fine because you generally are able to win on an opponent's term unless they bring stall breakers or ways to crack your team with ease. No matter what, if you don't have speed to outspeed what naturally beats your team, you don't have a chance.

So Chansey being a momentum sink? Guys, we've known this forever. It hasn't changed and this isn't a great epiphany. If you're going to be bothering with momentum, go build a voltturn team with some bulky mons. I've done it, it isn't as effective when you try to form it to a true stall team. Hence why I never pursued it heavily. Chansey may be steal your own momentum but it sure as hell does a nice job of making sure none of your opponent's special attackers GAIN any momentum. Sure, there's some special mons that give chansey hell, but very few outside of landorus, mixed thundy and taunt gard manage (which must avoid losing around 72 HP to do so).

As I said, the only stall that really cares if it loses momentum is sableye... All other stalls should be prepared to expect it... Technically, I think a sable team not prepared to expect it isn't any good, but whatever... I won't use a slower gen4 rotom- with a better ability.

Last edited:
now that play rough and knock off are compatible on absol, and mega sableye is pretty common on stall teams, i was wondering if a set consisting of swords dance/knock off/play rough/fire blast could be handled by average stall teams, or if it has no real answers. please excuse me if this is sort of a dumb question or has already been posted

SketchUp

now that play rough and knock off are compatible on absol, and mega sableye is pretty common on stall teams, i was wondering if a set consisting of swords dance/knock off/play rough/fire blast could be handled by average stall teams, or if it has no real answers. please excuse me if this is sort of a dumb question or has already been posted
It looks pretty terrifying now I look at it. Fire Blast hits things like Scizor, Amoonguss and Skarmory, while Play Rough + Knock Off has nearly perfect coverage
-Mega Venusaur only takes 26% from Knock Off and does more than 50% with Giga Drain in return. Fire Blast does around the same damage as Knock Off does, but is less reliable
-Granbull can take any hit easily because of intimidate, and fire blast only does 43%. Play Rough KOs
-There are other less reliable answers. Chesnaught can switch in on anything bar Fire Blast and can even take a +2 Play Rough and OHKO Absol with Drain Punch. Pokemon that already lost their item take less Knock Off damage. For example Suicune without any items anymore only takes 45% from a +2 Knock Off. The same works for Hippowdon without an item

It gets completely walled by Quagsire, so there are better choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)