The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
unbelievable that PI wasn't called on tannehill's last interception. The ball bounces off the receiver's helmet because he's being bent over from behind by the time the ball gets there, how is that not a pretty clear sign of interference i don't know. One of the worst no calls i've ever seen, and finished any chance of the dolphins avoiding choking away another great chance at the playoffs this year.
You can't call everything

And I think they called Browner for about 3 penalties before that play, so its not like the Dolphins weren't getting calls.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You can't call everything

And I think they called Browner for about 3 penalties before that play, so its not like the Dolphins weren't getting calls.
oh sure, it was an isolated incident, but it was a call that just can't be missed, it was ridiculously blatant. the receiver literally was hit so hard his head was where his hands had been, and so the ball hit his head. There is no question about timing of the contact because of the ball hitting his head, so there wasn't any reason to think it was a legal hit.

Entering today, 12 of the 16 AFC teams had a winning record (three of them have now fallen to .500), and the other four teams were 2-11 (Jets beat the Titans and the other two lost). That's a pretty ridiculous distribution to almost maximize the number of playoff contenders coming into today, though after today, some teams fell to 7-7, which eliminated them from their division race and gave them a long way to get the wild card. Others clinched their divisions, when before today no one had any playoff spot clinched in the AFC. So the AFC is finally starting to sort out a little.

Right now, 7 AFC teams can each get in the playoffs if they win out. The Colts, Patriots, and Broncos all have their divisions clinched no matter what they do. The Bengals or Steelers can win the AFC North by winning out. The Ravens and Chiefs clinch at least a wild card by winning out. The other 5 contenders need various levels of help to reach the playoffs even if they win out. The Chargers just need to win out with either one Ravens loss in either week, or a week 16 Steelers loss or a Week 16 Bengals loss (so if the Chargers win out, 4 games would have to go against them for them to miss the wild card). The Bills, Texans, Dolphins, and Browns need major help to get in, anywhere from three to eleven games all going their way after winning out.

On the other hand, two of those 2-12 teams are playing Thursday night. (Gotta love those Thursday night ads acting like it's some epic showdown) So that Thursday night football stuff always manages to find a new way to suck. Like, I can see how each team needs a night game, so they dump it on the least viewed night football channel...but if they're going to put in two sucky teams, couldn't they at least do it early in the season when there's a sliver of hope that the game might matter? At least they picked two equally terrible teams, so it might be a close game.

In the NFC, five teams right now have 4 losses. The Seahawks, Cowboys, Packers, Lions, and Eagles. One of those teams will straight-up miss the playoffs, as the Cardinals have clinched* a playoff spot, the NFC south will send a totally shitty team, and all other NFC teams are eliminated with the 49ers, Rams, and Vikings all losing. That's kind of tough to swallow, that one of those teams is missing the playoffs after such a good start to the season while some trash 6-win team makes it in. (I hope it's a 6-win team, because that's the most likely way to get the NFL to do something about their playoff seeding system in the off season.)

*Assuming not all of the following happens:
Wk 15: Eagles tie Cowboys
Wk 16: Eagles beat Redskins
Wk 16: Packers beat Buccaneers
Wk 16: Lions beat Bears
Wk 16: Seahawks beat Cardinals
Wk 16: Cowboys beat Colts
Wk 17: 49ers beat Cardinals
Wk 17: Eagles beat Giants
Wk 17: Cowboys beat Redskins
Wk 17: Packers tie Lions

Last edited:
oh sure, it was an isolated incident, but it was a call that just can't be missed, it was ridiculously blatant. the receiver literally was hit so hard his head was where his hands had been, and so the ball hit his head. There is no question about timing of the contact because of the ball hitting his head, so there wasn't any reason to think it was a legal hit.
It was a pretty blatant penalty, but I think Brandon Browner's entire defensively philosophy is "They can't call everything."

It was Unfortunate for the Dolphins but I don't think It would have changed the Final outcome of the game, The Patriots Came out Gunsablazing in the second half and weren't slowed down.

Miamis decision to run on like 3&3 in the middle of the 3rd quarter probably effected the game more.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
NFL Rulebook said:
Section 5 Article 3: Permissible Acts by both teams while the ball is in the air.

Acts that are permissible by a player include but are not limited to:
a) Incidental contact by an opponent’s hands, arms,or body when both players are competing for theball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.
Video Highlight for Reference.

At worst you could try and argue that Browner intentionally hit the guy beforehand to disrupt the ball, but since you can reasonably see that he was also staring dead at the ball and attempted to make a play for it, he (ab)uses the built-in gray area of the rule making it legal contact.

^I'm pretty sure even if he's going for the ball, if the contact was intentional, it would still be foul. It's close, but in my opinion, Browner did hit him before the ball arrived and I don't think it was incidental, so PI could of definitely have been called.

Also, all turnovers are big, especially the ones that are deep in your own territory. The game was still in reach, but that turnover took it out.

On the other hand, two of those 2-12 teams are playing Thursday night. (Gotta love those Thursday night ads acting like it's some epic showdown) So that Thursday night football stuff always manages to find a new way to suck. Like, I can see how each team needs a night game, so they dump it on the least viewed night football channel...but if they're going to put in two sucky teams, couldn't they at least do it early in the season when there's a sliver of hope that the game might matter? At least they picked two equally terrible teams, so it might be a close game.
I fuckin love some of the Thursday Night football ads, like the one for last Thursday.

Something like, "Larry Fitzgerald and the Cardinals, take on... the Rams"

repeat with the Raiders/Browns/Jags/Titans, who are all apparently so bad the average NFL fan couldn't name a single player on those teams.

That's kind of tough to swallow, that one of those teams is missing the playoffs after such a good start to the season while some trash 6-win team makes it in. (I hope it's a 6-win team, because that's the most likely way to get the NFL to do something about their playoff seeding system in the off season.)
real NFL fans are rooting for a 6-10 Falcons or 6-9-1 Panthers team to host the 12-4 Cardinals or 11-5 somebodies... sad part is, with Lindley or whoever starting, it's a game that's completely feasible for the home team to win. the NFL will never get rid of divisions, but at least reward the better team with a home game!

as best as I can tell, the Eagles/Cowboys are most likely to miss the playoffs in the NFC (Cards are likely to get wild card spot #1 since they will surely lose next week, Lions seemingly have the tiebreaker over both for #6 and GB has the tiebreaker over the Eagles), which would suck because they both deserve to be there. Seattle seems locked in to a playoff spot provided they win once more, and I think the Lions might clinch if they beat the Bears next week? it's gonna be crazy the next two weeks, that's for sure.

I fuckin love some of the Thursday Night football ads, like the one for last Thursday.

Something like, "Larry Fitzgerald and the Cardinals, take on... the Rams"
hey! the rams are lowkey good... they just need a QB who isn't 40 years old (shaun hill) or made of paper mache (bradford) and they would be a legitimate playoff contender.

hey! the rams are lowkey good... they just need a QB who isn't 40 years old (shaun hill) or made of paper mache (bradford) and they would be a legitimate playoff contender.
Yeah but they have no famous star players that the advertisers think anyone gives a shit about

Unlike the cardinals who have Larry Fitzgerald

The cardinals are winning with a qb situation just as bad/probably worse. What's the difference? The coaching? Better defensive players? Who knows.

The cardinals are winning with a qb situation just as bad/probably worse. What's the difference? The coaching? Better defensive players? Who knows.
The difference is the Rams choke away their winnable games with offensive turnovers...it's not a stat that gets a lot of attention simply because it's the lack of big negative plays, but it makes a huge difference. The Cardinals haven't lost games where you look back and think about how they could have won...maybe the Broncos game, but they never had a good lead, ended up losing by 21 so it's kind of a stretch.

But the Rams have had a lot of those games. They choked away a 21 point lead to the Cowboys, a 14 point lead to the 49ers, and a chance to beat the Chargers when they were at the goal-line. Whatever chance they had to win the first Cardinals game when it was still a 3 point difference, Austin Davis pick-sixed his way out of it in the 4th quarter. The second Cardinals game was a six-point game, which means the Rams were literally one big play from winning it, wherever they might have been able to pick up one of those. Same with the Eagles game, while they had to make a huge 4th quarter comeback to even make it a 6 point game, they did get the ball back one final time though they couldn't get a touchdown on that drive. But more importantly, they gave up two touchdowns off a blocked punt and a strip sack in the endzone which is why the game got away from them so fast in the first place.

So basically the Cardinals took care of stuff when they had their opportunities. The Rams didn't. Maybe there's an underlying cause like coaching or something. Maybe it's that the Rams have choked many of their games with a rookie QB while the Cardinals have used veterans who might make less mental errors (less interceptions and fumbles). Or maybe the Cardinals are just lucky that when they screw up, the game was already out of hand one way or another.

Rams also didn't really decide on a RB until around the Broncos game, and since that game their record is just as good as the Cardinals' record anyway. I think the Cardinals have been running pretty decently all season with Ellington, and even after he got hurt their backups are still putting up good numbers (for now).

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
"Rookie QB derek carr and the raiders"
Am I the only one this crap angers? It implies that rookie QB Derek Carr is not himself a Raider, when he is. Compare to, say, Gladys Knight and the Pips, where Gladys Knight is, accurately, not herself a "Pip." Stop fucking saying "[Singular entity] and the [group]" when the singular entity is itself part of the group. shit's fucking redundant

So the huge Falcons-Saints game is coming up Sunday presents an interesting scenario I've naturally been thinking a lot about lately. While the winner (likely) wins the division and makes the playoffs as the #4 seed, the loser all but secures a top 10 pick in the 2015 NFL draft. The winner of the division, even if they finish at less than .500, gets "rewarded" with the 21st pick in the draft (that's implying they lose their playoff game).

Since the NFL seems to be "Super Bowl or Bust" for most teams and fans, which scenario would you guys rather have? A guaranteed top 10 pick in next year's draft, or a chance to beat Arizona/Detroit/someone at home, then go on the road to beat either or both of Green Bay/Seattle? If they make the playoffs and win a game, is it "worth" it? What if they don't even win a game? Since terrible teams usually pick in the top 10 every single year, does having the #8 vs #21 pick really even make much of a difference?

Redskins actually win a game.

Also I will puke if they're seriously considering McDaniels as a replacement for Harbaugh, hell I'll refuse to watch Niners games if they do that.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i officially hate the niners.... had a rly good chance in my family trashtalk picking pool if the niners held on and they have one of the chokes of the season... fuck this shit

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Goddamn 49ers. The Bills really needed them to hang on to that win ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS HANG ON TO THE GODDAMN FOOTBALL PATTON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)