Other Lower Tier Threats (ORAS Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah Gallade Mega is in BL2 so let me give that a review too, okay?
I'm not in charge of this lol, Recreant is. I'm just an asshole who posts in the forums.

The post was not meant to be a sweeper that's what you're confusing. Just because you don't like competitive compared to marvel scale doesnt take away from the viability of the set I posted. The fact that you compare Keldeo and Milotic as if they're the same mon makes you look like an idiot. "offensive Competitive set" it has full hp/def/spdef evs ffs.
Recreant knows what she's talking about, don't call her an idiot. She's doing/has done some Analysis work and is probably a much better player/poster than I am, and I've posted a lot in this forum.

Recreant knows what she's talking about, don't call her an idiot. She's doing/has done some Analysis work and is probably a much better player/poster than I am, and I've posted a lot in this forum.
Love you bby <3
And a note to other people as well, things like Mega Lopunny, and Mega Gallade will probably be banned from lower tiers very soon, but I suppose they're ok for reviews. Go ahead and write them, but, once they are (If they are) banned from lower tiers, I will remove them from the OP.

Meloetta

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Relic Song
- Return
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Meloetta is a very interesting pokemon. It is able to change between formes, by using the move relic song. This move has a 10% chance to put the opponent to sleep, and is doubled by serene grace to 20%. It can actually be clutch sometimes! Base Meloetta (the green one) has OK stats. It has very good special bulk and special attack, but it's speed and physical bulk is quite lacking. However, it's other form, the pirouette form (the reddish brownish one) is imo a LOT better. Base 128 speed is simply put, fantastic, and combined with 128 attack and a life orb, is pretty scary. Having two high powered STAB moves in the form of return and close combat is also very nice. Knock off is a great utility move, and has decent coverage with fighting. When using this set, try to get in meloetta safely by using a slow u-turn / volt switch, use relic song hope for the clutch sleep to change between formes, and then proceed to nuke everything.
Here are some calcs:
252 Atk Life Orb Meloetta-P Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 671-790 (104.5 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Meloetta-P Return vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 153-181 (47.9 - 56.7%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Meloetta-P Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 328-387 (108.6 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Meloetta-P Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Ferrothorn: 374-439 (106.2 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Meloetta-P Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 144-172 (43.1 - 51.4%) -- 58.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Meloetta-P Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 116 Def Mega Scizor: 173-204 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Meloetta-P Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 195-230 (46 - 54.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Nobody's done Hawlucha yet so I'm taking it

Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics

Role: Late-Game Cleaner

Need a late-game sweeper that's outsped by absolutely nothing? Hawlucha is just the Pokemon for you! All you need to do is use Substitute to act as a buffer to allow you to set up, and then, after two Substitutes, the Sitrus Berry will be used, activating Unburden! The EVs here allow it to outspeed Starmie and Raikou before Unburden so that it can set up on them as long as it has a Substitute up beforehand, and the 12 HP gives you HP divisible by 4 to ensure Sitrus Berry is activated after two Substitutes. Once you're all set up, nothing short of priority / being able to take a hit is stopping this thing. Really, all you need to do is ensure you have checks to things like Talonflame and Thundurus and have a good wallbreaker to wear down the opponent's team so Hawlucha can sweep late-game and you're golden. Having STAB coverage that amazing is pretty nice too. You've got a late-game sweeper that can't even be stopped by Choice Scarf users. That's pretty awesome.

Last edited:
guys stop beating a dead horse. it's clear that something bad passed but we don't have to act like it's totally necessary to bring it up.

anyways, i have some i'd like to share

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Hypnosis

Role: Weather Support

For those of you who strictly play OU, Politoed is actually NU by usage, due to Drizzle being banned in UU. Politoed has one niche in the OU metagame, albeit a very valuable one - and that is setting rain without wasting a turn. However, I still consider it a threat due to how it just is literally the base of rain teams. With its good bulk, it can check walls such as Chansey and Ferrothorn with Encore, and shut down multiple attackers with the (albeit inaccurate) Hypnosis. Furthermore, it actually has great Special bulk, as it can sponge things like Lati@s's Draco Meteor. While Politoed, by itself, is not a huge threat, it supports teams in many ways, and even can be problematic in its own.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge / Ice Fang

Role: Wall

Hippowdon is extremely good. While it's UU by usage, it is a great Pokemon in OU. It is stupidly bulky - the given EVs let it avoid the 2HKO from Landorus's and Mega Manectric's Hidden Power Ice, while surviving +2 Terrakion's Close Combat - and it is able to just Slack Off all the damage received. It is an amazing Stealth Rock setter, and hits surprisingly hard off of its Attack stat with STAB Earthquake. The reason I'm posting this here is because Hippowdon is incredibly hard to deal with, and unless you pack a super effective attack, it will not be going down.

cyber ducky
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Porygon2 is one of the few solid counters to greninja. Specially defensive P2 helps against "standard" greninja which is the set: gunk shot | ice beam | dark pulse | low kick / hydro / HP fire / extrasensory / HP grass / grass knot etc. I say standard because greninja can run so many different sets, and specially defensive P2 cannot wall the extremely rare fully physical greninja. This set is pretty standard, I chose discharge over thunderbolt, because P2 rarely needs the extra power, and the 30% chance for paralysis is really nice. Ice Beam forms a bolt beam combo with thunderbolt, and can be used to beat greninja's that try to keep spiking. Toxic is used to take down bulky walls like hippodown. Recover is needed so that P2 can stay healthy for long enough until greninja dies. Nothing too special to say, P2 was a great counter to mence when it was still here RIP, and it still stands today as a great counter to greninja. Cyber duck swag

role: greninja counter

Last edited:
Since the rule for posting in this thread is BL and below now, I would like to reserve Raikou.

EDIT: Must have not been paying attention. Boltsandbombers beat me to it :[

Last edited:

Edward (Kabutops) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance/Low Kick
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet/Low Kick​
Ever since Drizzle's introduction to Ubers back in Gen 3 it has been a powerful force, and gen 6 is no exception. Rain got heavily nerfed but this nerf let the Swift Swimmers out to play. Kabutops is arguably the best Swift Swimmer in the game due to it's power, speed and coverage. This is the set I, and many others, typically run. Waterfall and Stone Edge are mandatory stabs and hit with tremendous force, especially Waterfall. Swords Dance is there to take advantage of the switches this fossil causes. Aqua Jet is for when the rain runs out and to kill faster threats when in rain (Mega Zam, Talonflame, scarfed Terakion). Low Kick is good for Ferro and X-scissor can be used for Celebi. He isn't perfect however, he will never outspeed +1 108s if he is adamant, which lets scarfed Keldeo and Lati@s to revenge him, running jolly however with limit his power. Despite being in RU he is rain's best sweeper and should never be underestimated.

Pew Pew (Kingdra) @ Life Orb/Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor​
The second member of rain's special forces is Kingdra. Kingdra while not having the being able to set-up like Kabutops, has immediate fire power. Hydro Pump in the rain dents everything that isn't Ferro or a blob, and destroys even resists. Scald is there so that you don't have to rely on Hydro's shaky accuracy. Dragon Pulse it to wreck Lati@s and Draco is a one time nuke that has less resists than Hydro. The item of choice (hue hue) is very much up to the user. Choice Specs hits notably harder than Life Orb but being locked into even Hydro Pump can be detrimental. Ice Beam can be run but is redundant due to Dragon Pulse hitting everything hard that it would. The evs are to outspeed all +1 base 110. Kingdra has a hard time taking down Ferro and fat water resists but all in all is incredibly powerful.

One thing to note about both of them is that they need rain up to do their job efficiently so Hipp and Tyranitar, while not being about to switch in, are still a threat to them.

From BW Hero to XY Zero... and then back up to ORAS Hero? Maybe.
Presenting Jirachi!

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
- Healing Wish / Trick

Jirachi has very good all round stats. It functions as a decent scarfer for most teams, a great defensive steel type, and a good revenge killer. Iron head is obviously to hax the living shit out of everything STAB, with a decent chance to flinch. Sweeping weakened teams late game is also easy with this move, since decent power combined with a handy flinch chance is nice. U-turn helps Jirachi gain momentum, or pivot out on predicted switches. Fire Punch helps Jirachi deal with defensive pokemon such as magnezone, ferrothorn, klefki, and skarmory, also with a handy burn chance. Healing Wish is great team support in the last slot, as it gives new life to another sweeper that may have been severely weakened, or crippled by t-wave or will o wisp. Trick can also be used if you want to screw with pokemon such as clefable and chansey. Once again, Jirachi is a great revenge killer, and a good defensive pokemon for teams that need counters to mega gardevoir and latios.

Now we have jirachi's most infamous set, PARAFLINCH MUAHAHAH
muahahahah I will kill you all muahahah

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam / Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Fire Punch

There's really no explanation for this set, as it is pretty straight forward. Use body slam at everything except electric types. Keep in mind that body slam can also paralyze ground types. Thunder wave can also be used if you want to be more consistent, but loses the ability to paralyze ground types. Next, after they have been paralyzed, spam iron head, so that they flinch, and if somehow they didn't either get flinched or paralyzed, survive the incoming hit with your amazing bulk. U-turn out on something that walls you like raikou or thundurus, because they resist iron head and are immune to paralysis. Fire Punch is for the sweet burn chance to cripple phsyical attackers, as well as for murdering steel types like mega scizor. Adamant is the preferred nature, because Jirachi does not need speed when everything is paralyzed, and who needs speed when your opponent won't be able to move 99% of the time? 252 HP EVs maximize your bulk, while 252 attack makes iron head hurt, and allows body slam to actually pack a punch.

role: Mega gardevoir + lati@s counter, king (queen) of hax alongside klefki, and good scarfer / revenge killer.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Kay, it's pseudo time.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 144 Atk / 236 SpA / 132 Spe
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower / Fire Blast
- Iron Tail

Hydreigon is quite frankly a very decent wallbreaker. It possesses pretty strong power and also has strong coverage, although with Fairies around, Hydreigon is no longer the "uncounterable wallbreaker" it was back in BW OU. Regardless, with Hydreigon's power and coverage, decent bulk, and not too shabby typing, Hydreigon does really well at muscling its way through walls. Draco Meteor hits really, really hard coming off of Hydreigon and is really hard to switch into. Dark Pulse is a neat STAB move that hits Psychic-types like Slowbro, Mew, etc. while also doing nice damage to Skarmory, especially given that Hydreigon can take advantage of both Slowbro and Mega Slowbro alike. Superpower hits Chansey, while Iron Tail muscles through Clefable, Sylveon, and Togekiss that try to switch in. Hydreigon can get a few switch-in opportunities to stuff like Slowbro, Mega Sableye, etc. With this set, Hydreigon also happens to be an excellent teammate for Mega Metagross, being able to crush some of its counters like Skarmory, Slowbro, etc. Mega meta, in return, smashes the living hell out of Fairy-type Pokemon.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Muddy Water / Superpower

Goodra has always been known best for its stupidly high special bulk, and that hasn't changed at all. It's a weird one among both its draconic brethren and its fellow pseudo-legendaries alike, but that's not to say that it doesn't have its uses. With its stupendous bulk and typing, Goodra walls a ton of stuff in this metagame, like Thundurus (!!), Mega Charizard Y, Gengar, Landorus, Manectric, Breloom, etc. From there, Goodra can then proceed to retaliate using its excellent coverage. Draco Meteor from Goodra isn't as much the terror button as it is from the above Pokemon or Latios, but it still hits fairly hard coming off of Goodra, especially against the stuff it walls. Fire Blast is always a nice asset for a special Dragon-type, allowing Goodra to hit Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Skarmory hard. Sludge Bomb is for any Fairy-type that tries to switch in and take advantage of Goodra, only to take a strong hit to the face-the poison chance also always comes in handy. Muddy Water allows Goodra to provide consistent damage against Heatran and Mega Diancie, the latter especially. However, Superpower is neat too to basically surprise Tyranitar and Chansey that try to come in. Just know that if you do run Superpower, I would recommend a Quiet Nature instead and a little more defensive investment. Goodra has always been kind of a unique dragon and that hasn't changed, so if you need its special walling abilities as well as something that can pack a good punch, Goodra will have no trouble filling that role.

Okay that's all for now. May post a few more later.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Psychic/Ice Beam/Energy Ball/Rest

Role: Stall-Breaker/Special Sweeper/Prince of the Sea/Water Monster

This thing is literally a monster. Those who have had the unfortunate experience of encountering one of these on the ladder will attest that once this thing gets to +3, nothing appreciates switching into it, especially into a Scald, with the ability to burn 99% of the time. Several elements make this blue monster the threat that it is. The access to Tail Glow allows Manaphy to instantly reach +3 SpA, and its ability Hydration allows Manaphy to cure its status in the rain, making it an excellent Stall-Breaker and Special Sweeper, as it cannot be hurt by Toxic nor crippled by Thunder Wave. Hydration also allows Manaphy to SET UP on Stall mons, such as Chansey and the OU Defensive Amoonguss, and proceed to 2HKO the former with a +6 Scald in rain, and have a ~75% chance to OHKO the latter after rocks if it packs Psychic or Ice Beam. Scald is Manaphy's primary form of offense, and in the presence of rain, it hits like a truck. Primary switch-ins to Manaphy, such as Celebi and Latias do not eat up a +3 Scald, and can potentially be OHKO'd after rocks with a +3 Ice Beam if it is carried.
The EV Spread listed is one of the most common sets for RD+TG Manaphy, and allows it to outspeed Jolly Excadrill, while optimising its Special Attack. As it doesn't have the greatest base speed, the other EV's were put into HP to increase Manaphy's bulk in order to give it more opportunities to set up and take lives.

In short, Manaphy lives up to its reputation as the Prince of the Sea and why this thing is BL, I have no idea. Most teams don't prepare for this threat, which is why Manaphy smiles as it proceeds to tear them apart.

Last edited:

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Role: mid-to-late game setup sweeper
This set is prominent in OU due to Zygarde's solid defensive stats of 108 / 121 / 95 , decent defensive typing in Dragon / Ground, and, most importantly, he's the most potent Coil user in OU. Zygarde can get up a substitute easily against defensive teams with pokemon such as Specially Defensive Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Mandibuzz. After a few boosts, Zygarde becomes incredibly diffucult to take down. However, since Zygarde needs entry hazards up, and will need his checks defeated such as the Lati twins, Kyurem-B, and Unaware Clefable, he'll mainly have to set up mid to late game.

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-ou-193949290

(I'll get better replays soon!)

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Role: mid-to-late game setup sweeper
This set is prominent in OU due to Zygarde's solid defensive stats of 108 / 121 / 95 , decent defensive typing in Dragon / Ground, and, most importantly, he's the most potent Coil user in OU. Zygarde can get up a substitute easily against defensive teams with pokemon such as Specially Defensive Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Mandibuzz. After a few boosts, Zygarde becomes incredibly diffucult to take down. However, since Zygarde needs entry hazards up, and will need his checks defeated such as the Lati twins, Kyurem-B, and Unaware Clefable, he'll mainly have to set up mid to late game.

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-ou-193949290

(I'll get better replays soon!)
I reserved Zygarde a minute before you did so I'll just add some things. Zygarde does have the capacity to beat Clefable as he got Iron Tail in ORAS, you will need to have +200 att investment to beat Clef however and hits little else, but it is worth mentioning

I reserved Zygarde a minute before you did so I'll just add some things. Zygarde does have the capacity to beat Clefable as he got Iron Tail in ORAS, you will need to have +200 att investment to beat Clef however and hits little else, but it is worth mentioning
Oh, you did? I'm sorry about that! That's so weird though, almost at the same time! Hey, but parashuffler is open too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)