PU Girafarig

QC: Anty / Magnemite / WhiteDMist
GP: Rhythms / Yonko7, P Squared, Rhythms

[OVERVIEW]

Without a shadow of doubt, Girafarig can be seen as a weak Pokemon, as its defenses are really bad; however, Girafarig's decent Speed could be useful to pass Nasty Plot boosts. Girafarig has a good typing, which gives it some useful resistances and an immunity to Ghost-type moves. Sap Sipper can give it an additional boost and an immunity to Grass-type moves. So Girafarig is preferred over Mr. Mime because it has a better chance than Mr. Mime for a free switch in.

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Hyper Voice / Substitute
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Sap Sipper
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves

=======

Baton Pass is the key move for this set, as Girafarig passes its boosts to another Pokemon. Nasty Plot is necessary to boost Girafarig's mediocre Special Attack. Hyper Voice and Psychic are good STAB moves; Psychic hits Roselia very hard, and Hyper Voice hits through Substitutes and can deal decent damage to Dark- and Psychic-types, giving Girafarig a good coverage move. Substitute is an option over Hyper Voice if Girafarig is used mainly as a Baton Passer.

Set Details
========

This EV spread maximizes Girafarig's Special Attack and Speed, and a Timid nature is useful to support its offensive capability and to outspeed Taunt users, such as Barbaracle and Kricketune, and best use Baton Pass. Despite its recoil, the Life Orb boost is really good to maximize Girafarig's offensive power. Leftovers is recommended if Girafarig is using Substitute, as Leftovers allows it to recover some HP at the end of each turn. It's best to keep Girafarig away from Knock Off users, such as Leafeon and Pawniard, and other faster sweepers, as Girafarig's defenses are insufficient.

Usage Tips
========

Girafarig can set up on Grass-types such as Tangela, as it's possible to gain an extra boost in Attack, thanks to Sap Sipper. Girafarig can also pass its Nasty Plot boosts and Substitutes to its teammates. Furthermore, Girafarig can boost its stats and can be used as late-game sweeper instead of passing its boosts, because Hyper Voice and Psychic have decent coverage.

Team Options
========
Carracosta is a good teammate for Girafarig, as they can handle each other's weaknesses. Poliwrath and most bulky Rock-types are good teammates to absorb the damage from Knock Off and set up Stealth Rock, respectively. Rock-types also handle Bug-types pretty well, as most Bug-types will most likely KO Girafarig if it attempts to set up. Stealth Rock support from Pokemon such as Barbaracle, Aurorus, and Golem is important because it punishes the opponent's switches and makes it easier for Girafarig to get KOs. Knock Off users such as Pawniard and Leafeon are also good teammates, as they can help deal with Grumpig and wear down other phazers. Special attackers as Rapidash, Kadabra, Simipour, Heatmor, Beheeyem, Chatot, and Misdreavus are good teammates because they can benefit from Nasty Plot. Finally, Pokemon that are weak to Grass-type moves are good teammates for Girafarig, as it can readily absorb Grass-type moves thanks to Sap Sipper.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options

================
Psyshock can be used instead of Psychic, as it helps deal with bulky foes such as Lickilicky. Shadow Ball can be used in a full special sweeper set, as it has good coverage with Girafarig's STAB moves and hits Pokemon such as Kadabra and Misdreavus. Signal Beam can hit Dark-, Psychic-, and Grass-types. Grass Knot and Thunderbolt are also available to hit specific threats depending on the team. Agility is useful to pass Speed boosts to teammates with Baton Pass, whereas Calm Mind is useful to pass both a Special Attack and Special Defense boost. Finally, Magic Coat can be used to help bounce back Taunt and Encore.

Checks and Counters
====================
**Knock Off Users**: Leafeon is faster and lethal, and Pawniard can check Girafarig and threaten it with Knock Off and its Baton Pass recipient with Sucker Punch.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Aurorus can resist Girafarig's attacks and KO it with Hyper Voice. Chatot outspeeds and KOes it with Boomburst. Regice can resist its attacks and hit it back with Ice Beam. Carracosta is really dangerous if Girafarig hasn't got Thunderbolt. Tauros 2HKOes with Rock Climb, and Ninetales 2HKOes with Flamethrower. Rotom-F can also 2HKO with Blizzard.

**Steel-types**: Probopass can Volt Switch on the Baton Pass recipient and go into a check or counter. Furthermore, Klang can set up on Girafarig, and Bastiodon can phaze it.

**Phazing**: Both Poliwrath and Lickilicky can phaze Girafarig with Circle Throw and Dragon Tail, respectively, and Substitute Girafarig can be phazed by Roar and Whirlwind users such as Quilladin and Grumpig, respectively.

**Moves That Stop Baton Pass**: Encore, Taunt, and Trick are all moves that can spoil Girafarig's Baton Pass set, as Encore Chatot, Taunt Grumpig and Misdreavus, and Trick Beheeyem can prevent Girafarig from passing its boosts.

Overview
########
Without shadow of doubt, Girafarig can be evaluated as a weak Pokemon; its defenses are really too bad. But Girafarig's decent Speed could be useful to dry passing a possible Nasty Plot boost. Girafarig has a good type combination, with a good immunity/resistances merging and Sap Sipper ability gives it a probable additional boost and immunty to Grass-type moves. So Girafarig could be preferred over Mr Mime because, despite it's stronger, Girafarig could have a better chance for a free switch, more than Mr.Mine.

Baton Pass
########
name: Baton Pass
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Hyper Voice / Substitute
item: Life Orb / Leftovers

Moves
=======
Baton Pass is the key move. Girafarig pass its boosts when battle conditions ensures enough Speed to do that. Nasty Plot is necessary to boost Girafarig's below-average Special Attack of 279 all the way up to 558 in a single turn. Hyper Voice and Psychic are good STAB moves. Psychic hits Roselia very hard. Hyper Voice can hit through Substitute users and hits Dark/Psychic-types that resist Psychic, so giving a good attack coverage. Since Girafarig's Special Attack is quite decent, that's the first option. Substituite is an option over Hyper Voice, if we want to use Girafarig as a absolute Baton Pass Pokemon.

Set Details
========
EVs are to maximize Special Attack and Speed, a Timid nature is useful to support offensive capabilty and Baton Pass, outspeed Taunt Barbaracle and Kricketune. Increase its defense could be useless, but always it's better to set remaining 4 HP on SDef. Talking about items, Life Orb boosts power attacks. Despite 10% recoil each turn, it's really good for maximize opponent damages. Otherwise, Leftovers is recommended if we would use Girafarig with Substitute, recovering some HP and preventing Girafarig from foes attacks. Finally, it's best to keep Girafarig away from Pokemons that carry Knock Off (e.g. Leafeon and Pawniard) and other sweeper faster; Girafarig's defenses could be insufficient.

Usage Tips
========
Girafarig can set up on Grass-type like Tangela and it's possible to gain an extra boost in Attack, thanks to Sap Sipper ability. But also thanks for its typing Girafarig can find to way to run its role: boosting and pass its boosts to teammates, preferably safely behind a substitute. Furthermore, Girafarig can boost itself as late-sweeper and Hyper Voice and Psychic have a decent coverage, hits better PU mons.

Team Options
========
Carracosta is a good teammate; they are weak to grass attacks but it absorbs Knock Off, Girafarig's biggest weakness. Also, Poliwrath and most bulky Rock-types are good teammates to tank Knock Off and set up Stealth Rock respectively. They handle bug-types pretty well and will most likely revenge kill Girafarig if it tries to set up. Stealth Rock support is important because it's punishing switching and can ensuring KOs. So Barbaracle, Aurorus and leftovers Golem are good for this goal. So as you can help deal with Grumpig and wear down other phazers, Knock-Off Pokemons as Pawniard and Leafeon are good teammates, too. Also every Special Attacker are good Girafarig's teammates because they can benefit from Nasty Plot: Haunter, Rapidash, Kadrabra, Simipour and Heatmor, but also Beheeyem, Chatot and Misdreavus (however it has just Nasty Plot). Finally Pokemons that lure out Grass-types seem smart are good teammates, so outside of Golem and Carracosta aforesaid, other Water-types like Simipour and Floatzel too.

Other Options
########
Psyshock over Psychic sustains itself on bulky opponents as Lickilicky. Also Shadow Ball can be used in a full special sweeper. In fact it has a good coverage with Girafarig's STABs and hit e.g. Kadabra and Misdreavus. Signal Beam hits Dark, Psychic and Grass-type, so Grass Knot and Thunderbold are also available. Others boosting moves are good alternatives: Agility allows Girafarig to boost its Speed and eventually to make switch (with boost stats) easier. Calm Mind (over Nasty Plot) is usable with Baton Pass, too; increasing also Special Defense could make easier boosts passing to teammates. Finally, Magic Coat to bounce Taunt and Encore.

Checks & Counters
########

**Knock-Off**: Leafeon is faster and lethal. But also Pawniard can avoid Girafarig and threat it and its Baton Pass recipient with Sucker Punch.

**Strong Attackers**: Aurorus can resist Girafarig's attack and kill it with Hyper Voice. Chatot overspeed it and KOs with Boomburst. Regice endures its attacks and hits Girafarig with Ice Beam. Carracosta is really dangerous if Girafarig haven't ThunderBolt, Tauros is 2KOs with Rock Climb, Ninetales is the same with Flamethrower. Rotom-F is 2KOs with Blizzard.

**Steel-Type**: Probopass can Volt Switch on the Baton Pass into a check or counter for the recipient. Furthermore Klang can set up on it and Bastiodon can phase it out.

**Phazing**: Both Poliwrath and Lickilicky can phaze Girafarig with Circle Throw and Dragon Tail, respectively, while Substitute variants can be phazed by Roar and Whirlwind users such as Quilladin and Grumpig.

**Other Moves Anti Baton Pass**: Encore, Taunt, Trick are all moves that can spoil Girafarig's Baton Pass set. So Encore Chatot, Taunt Grumpig and Misdreavus, Trick Beheeyem are so wasting for Girafarig's role.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The Quasar , sorry if i gave you confusing/bad information, but the set should look like

Special Sweeper
########
name: Special Sweeper
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Hyper Voice / Substitute
move 4: Baton Pass
item: Life Orb

Tag me when you update and i will happily fully check

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The Quasar , looks good!

Overview
########
Mention that its typing and ability (granting it immunity to ghost and grass) gives it a niche over Mr Mime

Special Sweeper
########
Slash leftovers before life orb.

Moves
=======
Mention that hyper voice hits dark/psychic types that resist psychic

Set Details
========
Add a description of leftovers, and mention it should be used with substitute to prevent girafarig from being warn down too much

Usage Tips
========
Mention that it can set up on grass types like Tangela

Team Options
========
I think the first line belongs in usage tips..
Mention pokemon that benefit from nasty plots (ie other special attackers, include some that resist girafarigs weaknesses)
Mention bug types as a whole instead of scyther. Probably a mistype, but Piloswine isnt rock

Other Options
########
Remove the mention of haunter in shadow ball, as it is hit harder by psychic STAB

Checks & Counters
########

**Knock-Off pokemon**: Just call this 'Knock Off'

**Rock-type**: I think this should be removed as none really enjoy taking a psychic

**Physical Walls**: Change this to special walls now it has psychic :)

**Special Attackers**: Call this 'Strong Attackers' then add example of strong physical ones

**Steel-Type**: Mention that Klang can set up on it and Bastiodon can phase it out

Do this and tag me, then i will look over again and stamp

**Special Walls**: Lickilicky holds down Girafarig and could hits it with a annoying Knock-Off. In the same way, Clefairy is resistant to Girafarig's attacks, stall it with Wish and/or Soft-Boiled and hits it with Moonblast.
Anty I inserted this because you was suggesting me to change it in Special Walls. But I agree with you, that's useless. QC 1/3 and thanks.

"Girafarig is a weak Pokemon. Its defenses are really too bad, so it could be use for a surprice blitz against opponent."- i don't really get what the latter part of this sentence is trying to say. You should reword it.

Mention in the overview that its niche isn't very big, but it's good at what it does

Remove mentions of Garbodor and Camerupt.

Rename the set to "Baton Pass", as Girafarig's main niche is Baton Passing.

"**Strong Attackers**: Aurorus could resist Girafarig's attack and kill it with Dark Pulse or Nature Power."- Aurorus doesn't carry either of these moves. Its strongest move against Girafarig is Hyper Voice.

Do this and I'll stamp.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know English isn't you first language, so I'll let the GP team handle most of that. I will have to pick out stuff that actually has important content and make sure that it is explained properly.
Overview
########
- Nasty Plot, not Calm Mind
- I am a bit perplexed about why I should use Girafarig, maybe emphasize its positives a bit more. All you really note is its immunities, so maybe note what it can set up on that Mr. Mime cannot. Anyone who hasn't used Girafarig, or is new to PU, wouldn't understand why you would use it at all from reading the Overview.
- You also have some unnecessary sentences here that really add nothing, though I guess GP can look that over. But still, remove "So its niche isn't so important, but it's good at what it does. "

Moves
=======
- Remove Throh mentions (all banned mon mentions in general if you find them too).
- Is that really the best explanation you can make for Hyper Voice? You need to explain why its on the set before Substitute

Set Details
========
- Spell the stats out, and don't list the number that the stats reach unless it is necessary (which it is not here).
- Note the significance of max Speed as well, what do you want to outspeed so badly?

Usage Tips
========
- Yeah, this whole paragraph confuses me. I am having difficulty understanding what you are trying to say here. Simplify it so that the points alone are stated
- It has poor defenses that hinder its otherwise decent typing and ability, which is great. But it isn't a Usage Tip.
- Having its counters removed is not a Usage Tip, but something all Pokemon want, so it isn't something to mention here.
- It would help to know what Girafarig can come in and set up on, other than just Grass-types. Does it set up on anything else?
- Tbh, all you really note is that Girafarig has bad defenses, so only set up on Grass-types. All this actually condenses into a single sentence. o you have any other tips for people who have want to know how to use Girafarig?

Team Options
========
- Piloswine doesn't resist Knock Off though. Carracosta is actually better for that too.
- Once you condense this, it also turns out to say 2 things, Poliwrath and most bulky Rock-types are good teammates to tank Knock Off and set up Stealth Rock respectively. Why is Stealth Rock important specifically for Girafarig that it deserves a particular mention here? The other sentence would say have good recipients, so that's a no-brainer.
- What about your own Knock Off users, who help deal with Grumpig and wear down other phazers?
- Pokemon that lure out Grass-types seem smart, as you emphasize that Girafarig can set up on them a lot. Outside of Golem and Carracosta, other Water-types like Simipour and Floatzel too.

Other Options
########
- Magic Coat to bounce Taunt and Encore.

Checks & Counters
########
- Yeah, removed banned mons and replace with other Knock Off users
- How about strong attackers that actually outspeed Girafarig? The other attackers can be noted, but the real emphasis on this point are: faster attackers that stop the pas before it can happen, or the powerful attackers with good coverage that can threaten the Baton Pass recipient, which is generally more threatening than Girafarig.
- Metang isn't very relevant, replace with Pawniard who can Knock Off both Giarafarig and the recipient an then threaten with Sucker Punch. Probopass can be noted too, as it can Volt Switch on the Baton Pass into a check or counter for the recipient.
- No phazers? No Taunt? No Encore? No Trick? There are plenty of checks and counters to Giarafarig and Baton Pass in general that need to be mentioned.

Thanks WhiteDMist, I just changed Overview, Moves, and Set Details sections, according your suggestions. I'll complete it as soon as possible, I have to modify other sections (in Italic).

Last edited:
WhiteDMist, I follow your suggestions, even if I don't understand exactly how you want to modify subsection around bulky attackers. It will be my fault but I ask you to explain me. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure what you mean, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Anyways, this looks fine, sorry I forgot about this. Update to new format and

qc approved
3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)