Creative / Underrated Sets in the UU Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
So, I was thinking about a potential replacement Return spammer in case Lopunny gets booted. Did some testing with this Lickilicky Set...

Lickilicky @ Choice Band
Ability: Cloud Nine
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Explosion

Did Some testing with a friend, results surprised us both.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-188921789 As you can see, it has potential to deal massive damage Lop. Bringing Lop down to 2% with Return makes it easier for it to be priority killed in the future, since I pretty much expect Licky to be taken quickly by Lop. After visiting the Damage Calc (252- Atk Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 210-248 (53.2 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). So it seems like Licki would have the chance to get in high damage before taking high damage itself.

As for VS Crobat, We're generally put in the same situation. (80 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 135-160 (34.2 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO). So it seems like, Potentially, Licky would be able to check Crobat fairly well.

Now, Against Volcarona. When it comes to Turn 12 We've got (252+ Atk Choice Band Lickilicky Return vs. 240 HP / 252 Def Volcarona: 211-250 (56.8 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery). <--That's After it sets up. So feel free to do damage on a Volc as it sets up, since most people will underestimate the damage from Licky and probably go to set. And if they decide not to set, and Attack, we're looking at (252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Lickilicky: 159-187 (40.3 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO). Essentially putting Licky in the position to handle Volc before, and after it Sets up.

Now, here's the second half of that battle http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-188922662

We're generally looking at similar results. Lickilicky has very high potential to be UU's next Return spammer, Also seeing as it fits into the Third Speed Tier, and outspeeds everything in Tier 4 which includes Hippo and Abomasnow. Cloud Nine would prevent both weather hazards created by them, giving Licky some good reason to run over them, and the popular rain teams using Mega Swampert. Thoughts and Feedback would be much appreciated, I want to know if I'm the only one who thinks Licky has potential at a spot in the UU meta game.

Last edited:

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So, I was thinking about a potential replacement Return spammer in case Lopunny gets booted. Did some testing with this Lickilicky Set...

Lickilicky @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Explosion

Did Some testing with a friend, results surprised us both.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-188921789 As you can see, it has potential to deal massive damage Lop. Bringing Lop down to 2% with Return makes it easier for it to be priority killed in the future, since I pretty much expect Licky to be taken quickly by Lop. After visiting the Damage Calc (252- Atk Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 210-248 (53.2 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). So it seems like Licki would have the chance to get in high damage before taking high damage itself.

As for VS Crobat, We're generally put in the same situation. (80 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 135-160 (34.2 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO). So it seems like, Potentially, Licky would be able to check Crobat fairly well.

Now, Against Volcarona. When it comes to Turn 12 We've got (252+ Atk Choice Band Lickilicky Return vs. 240 HP / 252 Def Volcarona: 211-250 (56.8 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery). <--That's After it sets up. So feel free to do damage on a Volc as it sets up, since most people will underestimate the damage from Licky and probably go to set. And if they decide not to set, and Attack, we're looking at (252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Lickilicky: 159-187 (40.3 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO). Essentially putting Licky in the position to handle Volc before, and after it Sets up.

Now, here's the second half of that battle http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-188922662

We're generally looking at similar results. Lickilicky has very high potential to be UU's next Return spammer, Also seeing as it fits into the Third Speed Tier, and outspeeds everything in Tier 4 which includes Hippo and Abomasnow. Cloud Nine would prevent both weather hazards created by them, giving Licky some good reason to run over them, and the popular rain teams using Mega Swampert. Thoughts and Feedback would be much appreciated, I want to know if I'm the only one who thinks Licky has potential at a spot in the UU meta game.
From my experience in PU I know that Choice Band Lickylicky is generally outclassed by Choice Band Bouffalant, with the only things Lickylicky really has over it being a very powerful Explosion, Knock Off, Cloud Nine (pretty cool), and surprise factor.

This is the set:
Bouffalant @ Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Charge
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn

Reuniclus @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Recover

I clearly remember this one NU match I had last gen where I faced an Eviolite Duosion with this set. I also recall that I pretty much lost at matchup because of it. It looks like a gimmick but make no mistake; it's an extremely threatening set that will sweep you flat if you lack a hard counter. Those include Dark types, Quagsire and a couple of TrickScarfers like Jirachi and Chandelure. Aside from those, tough luck.

252+ Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill U-turn vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 164-196 (38.6 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 48-57 (11.3 - 13.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever (can't paralyze you, so ParaFlinching to death is out of the question)
252 Atk Heracross Megahorn vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 168-198 (39.6 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Now Dark-types are quite popular in UU (stuff like Hydreigon, Krookodile, Sharpedo, Mega Absol etc) but they're not impossible to take out. And once that's done Reuniclus has a field day no matter what your opponent has. The Toxic Orb just helps against Amoonguss that may put you to sleep so something else can try to get enough hits in to kill you, and also against parahax. Give this set a try, it won't disappoint.

Lickilicky @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Explosion

It seems like Staraptor hugely outshines Lickilicky for damage output, being able to outdamage its choice banded return with a choice scarfed double edge, whilst also giving the option of a hugely powerful secondary STAB along with the ability to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame with its scarf to hit stuff before being knocked out. The effects of weather I think are quite minimal in UU at the moment (I am seeing hippos running sand force because teams dont have things to take advantage of sandstorm, and abomasnow is checked by many common pokemon/ is completely unseen. We will have to see if Mega Swampert becomes more popular though.

But the main problem is.. whats the value of spamming return? Lopunny is a special case due to its Return being half of an unresisted STAB combo thanks to scrappy (unless it hits cofagrigus or something) but really normal type has proven itself to be an overall mediocre attacking type.. Im not really seeing a choice locked 85 base attack normal type being able to do much of anything in this metagame apart from perhaps get some surprise value kills? Although Im returning to the meta after a reasonable break so something drastically weird might have happened which for some reason makes Lickilickys weird conglomeration of traits viable now

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
It seems like Staraptor hugely outshines Lickilicky for damage output, being able to outdamage its choice banded return with a choice scarfed double edge, whilst also giving the option of a hugely powerful secondary STAB along with the ability to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame with its scarf to hit stuff before being knocked out. The effects of weather I think are quite minimal in UU at the moment (I am seeing hippos running sand force because teams dont have things to take advantage of sandstorm, and abomasnow is checked by many common pokemon/ is completely unseen. We will have to see if Mega Swampert becomes more popular though.

But the main problem is.. whats the value of spamming return? Lopunny is a special case due to its Return being half of an unresisted STAB combo thanks to scrappy (unless it hits cofagrigus or something) but really normal type has proven itself to be an overall mediocre attacking type.. Im not really seeing a choice locked 85 base attack normal type being able to do much of anything in this metagame apart from perhaps get some surprise value kills? Although Im returning to the meta after a reasonable break so something drastically weird might have happened which for some reason makes Lickilickys weird conglomeration of traits viable now
Well I'm not really claiming it's going to be highly viable or have a large spot in the meta, But I can see it being usable is placed on the right team and used correctly. A lot of pokes have been coming/leaving UU lately, Lickilicky is one I'd like to see get some UU play, and potentially see one of the lower Viability Ratings. It's just food for thought mainly, I' can't really convince anyone he's worth running over things like Lopunny-Mega or Scarf Krook. I'm not an expert on the UU format or a master team builder, But CoolStoryBrobat has taught me a lot, and one of those things was to really not doubt when you're unsure. So I believe when running Lickilicky, you also give yourself a small advantage of running a pokemon that's not normally seen in the UU meta, not because it's bad, but because it's role is already filled by multiple other pokes who do it in a more viable way. When I make my next team I'll add him, and if it's still relevant then I'll happy post replays and let you guys know how Lickilicky works out.

Well I'm not really claiming it's going to be highly viable or have a large spot in the meta, But I can see it being usable is placed on the right team and used correctly. A lot of pokes have been coming/leaving UU lately, Lickilicky is one I'd like to see get some UU play, and potentially see one of the lower Viability Ratings. It's just food for thought mainly, I' can't really convince anyone he's worth running over things like Lopunny-Mega or Scarf Krook. I'm not an expert on the UU format or a master team builder, But CoolStoryBrobat has taught me a lot, and one of those things was to really not doubt when you're unsure. So I believe when running Lickilicky, you also give yourself a small advantage of running a pokemon that's not normally seen in the UU meta, not because it's bad, but because it's role is already filled by multiple other pokes who do it in a more viable way. When I make my next team I'll add him, and if it's still relevant then I'll happy post replays and let you guys know how Lickilicky works out.
Thing is, if it fills no niche compared to the other Pokemon that fill its role (isn't faster, doesn't survive relevant threat that others can't, isn't stronger, doesn't have better coverage, etc.), there isn't any point in using it, let alone ranking its viability, since by definition it has none. That said, if weather (especially rain) starts to get more play and starts dominating the meta, its possible Cloud Nine could make Lickilicky relevant. Until then, I think we can agree that it will be run more for the surprise factor rather than the usefulness factor.

Last edited:

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Something I've run to great success in the past and it still holds up these days is just a modified Mienshao moveset.

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
-High Jump Kick
-Jump Kick
-Stone Edge / Knock Off
-U-turn

Now what this accomplishes is mitigate the risk of losing the game due to a HJK miss. Before the ORAS release I was running a Fighting Spam team to good success and found Mienshao threatening to clean up every game, only to miss and lose me the game. By running Jump Kick you are half as likely to miss in a critical situation. Mienshao's Jump Kick is often strong enough to clean late in the match after things get whittled. It still receives the hefty Reckless boost and packs a solid punch. Early game is when you click High Jump Kick in order to weaken switch ins like Swampert for cleaning later on in the match. The rest of the moves pander to your teams needs. I needed Stone Edge over Knock Off on that team which is why it is the first slot. Mienshao also doesn't need Poison Jab as much because of the departure of Mega Altaria.

252 Atk Reckless Mienshao Jump Kick vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 219-258 (70.6 - 83.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Reckless Mienshao Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 243-286 (75.4 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
252 Atk Reckless Mienshao Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 192-226 (56.3 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It's certainly much weaker but the greater accuracy in the late stages of the game is paramount considering how good of a win condition Scarf Mienshao can be vs. Offensive teams.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Something I've run to great success in the past and it still holds up these days is just a modified Mienshao moveset.

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
-High Jump Kick
-Jump Kick
-Stone Edge / Knock Off
-U-turn

Now what this accomplishes is mitigate the risk of losing the game due to a HJK miss. Before the ORAS release I was running a Fighting Spam team to good success and found Mienshao threatening to clean up every game, only to miss and lose me the game. By running Jump Kick you are half as likely to miss in a critical situation. Mienshao's Jump Kick is often strong enough to clean late in the match after things get whittled. It still receives the hefty Reckless boost and packs a solid punch. Early game is when you click High Jump Kick in order to weaken switch ins like Swampert for cleaning later on in the match. The rest of the moves pander to your teams needs. I needed Stone Edge over Knock Off on that team which is why it is the first slot. Mienshao also doesn't need Poison Jab as much because of the departure of Mega Altaria.

252 Atk Reckless Mienshao Jump Kick vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 219-258 (70.6 - 83.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Reckless Mienshao Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 243-286 (75.4 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
252 Atk Reckless Mienshao Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 192-226 (56.3 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It's certainly much weaker but the greater accuracy in the late stages of the game is paramount considering how good of a win condition Scarf Mienshao can be vs. Offensive teams.
In the extreme need for such reliance on a non-miss, why not just use drain punch?

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In the extreme need for such reliance on a non-miss, why not just use drain punch?
Still boosted by Reckless on top of higher base power, meaning this can actually kill things in the end with a bit less risk...And still more power than Drain Punch. Least, that's what I'd assume.

Notable difference between Drain Punch and Jump Kick:
252 Atk Mienshao Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 260-308 (79.7 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Reckless Mienshao Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 416-492 (127.6 - 150.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
This set is interesting because of three reasons:
#1: Crobat is the fastest Nasty Plot user in the game hands down.
#2: Crobat actually has a a decent special move pool.
#3: Punishes steel switch ins expecting BB Spam.

Crobat is not commonly used as a special attacker but nasty plot opens the doors to special sweeping.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 188 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Sludge Bomb

Univested Crobat hits 352 SpA after one plot, 528 after two, and 704 if you can get three Nasty Plots off-or you could just BB spam with no way of boosting while taking recoil.

Crobat is not commonly used as a special attacker but nasty plot opens the doors to special sweeping.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Sludge Bomb

Univested Crobat hits 352 SpA after one plot, 528 after two, and 704 if you can get three Nasty Plots off-or you could just BB spam with no way of boosting while taking recoil.
Or you could use the Acrobat set and straight up counter Mega-Beedrill, be threatening and have utility all game while having a Knock Off soak, and almost retain the same damage as BB while losing some passive regen from Black Sludge. NP Crobat is fun and underrated, but implying that BB is the only option Crobat has for a viable physical flying STAB is just wrong. Giga Drain and Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse are also options that are less viable, but have some uses in a NP set, though those EVs are kinda wonky and should probably be explained.

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Sludge Bomb

Coming from the guy who has to rep Crobat 100% out in these streets...I'm actually not too fond of the NP set in this metagame. Like even if you were to use max SpA, the move Giga Drain > Air Slash, and a Life Orb (probably the preferred choices if you were to even go the Nasty Plot route) you kind of end up losing a lot of the other benefits of Crobat, such as a strong STAB move that can be fired off for immediate power in Brave Bird. On top of this you also lack any kind of recovery since you gotta give up Roost, so your opportunities to bring Crobat in as often as you typically would are sharply reduced, on top of the fact something else has to clear your hazards. While you do whack most of bat's common switch-ins with a +2 move of choice, the opponent can see what you're doing and now proceed to go to Umbreon/Blissey/whatever, even after you get a kill, and proceed to shut down your bat. Not only this but you're absolutely FORCED to use Nasty Plot the moment Crobat comes in before you can attempt to go to work, and in a lot of cases given how easy it is to pressure Crobat, you might not always get that chance to succeed. I think tbh you may as well use Life Orb Tornadus-I, a heavily underrated Pokemon in UU. It pretty much accomplishes the exact things this set does, but it offers more versatility and immediate power, especially from the special side.

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
-Power-up Punch

This set is meant to be used alongside with manual rain. Swampert in rain consistenly causes switches so it is simple to find time to set up. And with it's bulk you can play recklessly to nab a +1. unless you are mega evolving on a grass type. With +1 you turn alot of 3HKOs into 2HKOs and 2HKOs into OHKOs.

Here are some fun calcs:
+1 252+ Atk Swampert Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin: 300-354 (87.9 - 103.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2 in Rain: 186-220 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 195-231 (48.2 - 57.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Swampert Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Celebi: 238-280 (58.9 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 306-362 (72.8 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges in Rain: 367-433 (101.9 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 181-216 (52.6 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Swampert Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 328-386 (100.6 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Those are really damn impressive considering he couldnt cause some 2HKO/OHKOs without the boost.

Suicide lead Aero

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 184 Atk / 72 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

People seem to have forgotten about this set, now everyone is using Mega Aero. I've been running this set in my HO because it's much faster than Azelf, thanks to this it can reliably use Taunt + SR before going down. The special attack investment allows it to OHKO "standard" Forretress. Stone Edge does enough to every other spinner (except Donphan) / Defog user to make them think twice before trying to remove Rocks.

72 SpA Aerodactyl Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Forretress: 356-420 (100.5 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
184 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 153-181 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
184 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 114-135 (31.8 - 37.7%) -- 90.7% chance to 3HKO
184 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 240 HP / 244+ Def Tentacruel: 127-150 (35.1 - 41.5%) -- 80.8% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
184 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 320-380 (85.7 - 101.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

It might not be as good as Azelf at preventing spin / defog with Explosion, but some HO teams prefer making sure opposite offensive teams don't setup SR early in the game. It's a good Pokemon as long as you are aware of its weak / strong points and in what kind of teams you should use it.

Suicide lead Aero

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 184 Atk / 72 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

People seem to have forgotten about this set, now everyone is using Mega Aero. I've been running this set in my HO because it's much faster than Azelf, thanks to this it can reliably use Taunt + SR before going down. The special attack investment allows it to OHKO "standard" Forretress. Stone Edge does enough to every other spinner (except Donphan) / Defog user to make them think twice before trying to remove Rocks.

72 SpA Aerodactyl Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Forretress: 356-420 (100.5 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
184 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 153-181 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
184 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 114-135 (31.8 - 37.7%) -- 90.7% chance to 3HKO
184 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 240 HP / 244+ Def Tentacruel: 127-150 (35.1 - 41.5%) -- 80.8% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
184 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 320-380 (85.7 - 101.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

It might not be as good as Azelf at preventing spin / defog with Explosion, but some HO teams prefer making sure opposite offensive teams don't setup SR early in the game. It's a good Pokemon as long as you are aware of its weak / strong points and in what kind of teams you should use it.
I think you should use Double Edge > Fire Blast to prevent spin against Starmie and Mega-Blastoise so far more threatening spinners than a Forretress which is easily walled by any spinbloker (unlike mie and blastoise mega), beating them is definitely better than dealing with Forrestress which is minor threat and a worse spinner tbh

I think you should use Double Edge > Fire Blast to prevent spin against Starmie and Mega-Blastoise so far more threatening spinners than a Forretress which is easily walled by any spinbloker (unlike mie and blastoise mega), beating them is definitely better than dealing with Forrestress which is minor threat and a worse spinner tbh
In my team, dealing with Forretress is much bigger than dealing with Starmie / Blastoise (Slurpuff HO, that has something specific to setup on Starmie and Blastoise). The attacking moves aren't unchangeable, just use whatever coverage fits your team better.

CoolStoryBrobat

Abomasnow is a Pokemon typically seen in high-level play due to how "anti-meta" it can be with its great offensive STAB typing, priority, access to Swords Dance, bulk, coverage to hit the Steel-types that resist its STABs, decent bulk, and so on.

But here's something I came up with when I was reminiscing about Gen 5:

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 196 Atk / 180 SpA / 132 Spe
Naive Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Focus Blast / Earthquake / HP Fire
- Ice Shard

Being a mixed wallbreaker the idea of this set's EVs and moves is to hit as much as you can, from as many sides as you can, and has the bonus of 2HKOing every bulky water in the tier. When playing this set you're under pressure to time it correctly because it's susceptible to being worn down easily. So smack the walls you need dead the absolute opportunity you have, and keep it reserved until that chance comes up. Enough Speed is used to outpace standard Crocune, with enough Atk EVs to 2HKO Defensive Blissey with Wood Hammer, and the rest of the EVs are placed into Special Attack. Focus Blast isn't mandatory but it's my favorite option since it bodies Forretress and Mega Aggron, netting a clean 2HKO on both, while doing semi-respectable damage to most switch-ins that aren't outright weak to its STAB moves. Earthquake can be used if you care more about hitting Tentacruel, Jirachi harder on the switch-in, and Fire-types, and HP Fire can be used if you really only care about Forretress (and the occasional Escavalier) and really hate missing. Also 3HKOes Scarf Rachi, so that's something, right?

This set has a few perks that its Mega Evolution lacks, and sadly a few things it wishes it had that its Mega does possess. The first perk is that thanks to Life Orb, it actually hits harder than its Mega counterpart, which has to forgo a power-boosting item (though it can use a power-boosting nature so I guess this is kinda moot depending which offense you're attacking from?). The second is since it's regular Abomasnow, it actually has a usable Speed stat, meaning it can afford to invest a decent amount of Speed to outpace something. The third, most people will assume it's a Mega and it's actually not so you can use Mega Alakazam and they'll never see it coming! (That's kinda the only Mega that works with Abomasnow that has an equally-viable regular form).

However though its disadvantages are it kinda wears itself down extremely fast between SR weakness + LO recoil, and this kinda makes it even harder to frequently bring in than it already is. Not to mention Wood Hammer gives sick recoil against you, especially vs. Blissey, which this set is optimized to 2HKO... Next is it is a bit less bulky than its Mega Evolution, so it really hates taking too many hits, moreso than it already does in the first place...

Calcs of interest:
196 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 196-231 (54.4 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

196 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 347-409 (48.5 - 57.2%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
196 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 347-409 (53.2 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

196 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 252-299 (62.3 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

180 SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 199-234 (57.8 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage

180 SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Forretress: 191-225 (53.9 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage

196 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 218-265 (53.9 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

196 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 212-251 (56.9 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

180 SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Jirachi: 125-148 (36.6 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage
180 SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Jirachi: 127-151 (37.2 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage
196 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 213-252 (62.4 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage

196 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 144 HP / 188 Def Snorlax: 212-251 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
196 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 144 HP / 188 Def Snorlax: 212-251 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- 94.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, hail damage, and Leftovers recovery

196 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 240 HP / 244+ Def Tentacruel: 181-214 (50.1 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, hail damage, and Black Sludge recovery
196 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 244+ Def Tentacruel: 203-239 (56.2 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, hail damage, and Black Sludge recovery

196 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 212-251 (56.9 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, hail damage, and Leftovers recovery
196 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 237-281 (63.7 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, hail damage, and Leftovers recovery

196 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 320-377 (60.4 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, hail damage, and Leftovers recovery

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Offensive Spiker/Lure Chesnaught

Chesnaught @ Life Orb
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer

Really gimmicky but i've been testing this thing on the low. Basically I wanted an offensive spiker that could also act as a lure for Crobat. I started looking through the tier and noticed that Chesnaught actually has a pretty decent attack stat. Crobat is an easy switch in for Chesnaught and can defog away the spikes no problem so i thought, why not try Stone Edge?

252+ Atk Life Orb Chesnaught Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 328-387 (87.9 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Granted, it is a roll but i keep SR up on the field and people think Crobat is a free Defog vs my Chesnaught. The EVS allow it to outspeed Crocune and 128 speed Nidoqueen and M-Blastoise and hit them hard before an ice beam/spin. It's actually able to knock em both out depending on some prior damage on the Nido. Drain Punch is preferred over Hammer Arm for longevity. Again, it's an extremely gimmicky set, but fun nonetheless.

I'll see Joey's Chesnaught and share one of my favorites.

Belly Drum Chesnaught

Chesnaught @ Salac Berry
Ability: Bulletproof/Overgrow
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb

I can't take much credit here. The concept is one I stole from Shake's ORAS OU Live #2, with a few adjustments to make the set function a bit better. At first glace, this set screams gimmick. The combination of Substitute, Belly Drum and Salac Berry is by no means new, but is an interesting option on Chesnaught.

The 12 EV's in HP yield an HP stat of 320, meaning that your Salac Berry will activate after a Substitute and Belly Drum. At +1, max speed Chesnaught outspeeds positive natured base 120's by a single point, giving it the jump on a good portion of the tier. This nice speed stat coupled with Chesnaught's respectable uninvested physical bulk makes Chesnaught relatively hard to get out from behind the Sub and revenge kill.

The choice between Bulletproof and Overgrow is yours. Bulletproof provides immunities, albeit obscure, that may mean the difference between preserving and losing your Sub. On the other hand, Overgrow provides a much needed power boost to Seed Bomb after the Sub/Belly Drum combination, essentially turning it into a recoil-free Wood Hammer. It should be noted that this set, if played optimally, should keep Chesnaught a relatively high HP, meaning the Overgrow boost would only be a reliable boon the turn immediately after setting up.

Offensive Calcs:

+6 244 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 360-424 (88.4 - 104.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+6 244 Atk Chesnaught Seed Bomb vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 752-888 (142.1 - 167.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 244 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 1538-1812 (215.4 - 253.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And with hazards...

+5 244 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 309-364 (80.6 - 95%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 244 Atk Chesnaught Seed Bomb vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 247-291 (85.4 - 100.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Keep in mind that half of the insane damage you're dealing with Drain Punch is HP gained to increase survivability and extend your sweep. This set eats stall teams without a Crobat in the back for breakfast. I'll leave a few situational, low ladder replays so you can see the set in action.

Yummy, Delicious Stall:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-193143305

Rain, Rain, Go Away:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-193750028

Most faster Pokemon can seem threatening, but if you maintain your Sub and predict Volt Turners with a new Sub, virtually the whole tier is either OHKO'd or 2HKO'd by Chesnaught's Dual STAB hits.

The main threats to this set are Crobat and Noivern. Faster Infiltrator mons completely shut down your sweep and will easily knock out Chesnaught.

UU's most reliable sweeper? Lol, no. A fun mon and an interesting win condition? Damn straight.

Last edited:
I've actually been able to use this Sceptile set to great success in UU.

Sceptile @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
Lonely Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
-Endure
-Giga Drain
-Drain Punch
-Acrobatics

The set-up is simple. Get Sceptile in safely on something like Blastoise or Roserade. Use Endure to take the SE hit and get the Weakness Policy boost, which also activates the Unburden boost. You can then Giga Drain, Drain Punch, or Acrobatics your way to victory.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / Def 248 / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Roar

(I encountered this set back in Gen V UU while playing against a dude in PS. Thank you, mystery dude on PS! c:)

This set was pieced together with the goal of providing stall (or defensive teams in general) a flexible win condition that does well against opposing defensively-oriented teams and their respective bulky boosters (supposing they have one). It is flexible, in that it can perform several roles throughout the match.

The set capitalizes on Suicune's bulk and tendency to force switches by using Calm Mind and Roar to pressure the opposing team. Getting Suicune behind a Substitute is easy, which gives you a lot of options to choose from once you pull one off. Generally, Roar is a good way to play around Suicune's checks and counters while setting up. Of course with the nature of this set, there will be lots of switches so hazard support is essential to make the best of the situation. Another nifty use of Roar is that it lets it combat opposing phazers that try to disrupt it. Since Suicune naturally outspeeds common phazers like Vaporeon and Empoleon, its Roar would go first. Under favorable circumstances, Suicune can potentially shuffle the team continuously while setting up for an eventual sweep.

*8 Speed EV's in Speed for speed-creeping purposes.

Here is the set in action:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-198403767
*At the time, I didn't have any Speed EV's so you'll see that it would have been definitely useful at about turn 21.

I have battles where I played around CurseLax and SubCM Cressy but I didn't recorded it. :< Well at its core, it was a game of who can set up first. With Roar and consistent hazard setting, Suicune had the edge against them.

Last edited:
I'll see Joey's Chesnaught and share one of my favorites.

Belly Drum Chesnaught

Chesnaught @ Salac Berry
Ability: Bulletproof/Overgrow
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb

I can't take much credit here. The concept is one I stole from Shake's ORAS OU Live #2, with a few adjustments to make the set function a bit better. At first glace, this set screams gimmick. The combination of Substitute, Belly Drum and Salac Berry is by no means new, but is an interesting option on Chesnaught.

The 12 EV's in HP yield an HP stat of 320, meaning that your Salac Berry will activate after a Substitute and Belly Drum. At +1, max speed Chesnaught outspeeds positive natured base 120's by a single point, giving it the jump on a good portion of the tier. This nice speed stat coupled with Chesnaught's respectable uninvested physical bulk makes Chesnaught relatively hard to get out from behind the Sub and revenge kill.

The choice between Bulletproof and Overgrow is yours. Bulletproof provides immunities, albeit obscure, that may mean the difference between preserving and losing your Sub. On the other hand, Overgrow provides a much needed power boost to Seed Bomb after the Sub/Belly Drum combination, essentially turning it into a recoil-free Wood Hammer. It should be noted that this set, if played optimally, should keep Chesnaught a relatively high HP, meaning the Overgrow boost would only be a reliable boon the turn immediately after setting up.

Offensive Calcs:

+6 244 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 360-424 (88.4 - 104.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+6 244 Atk Chesnaught Seed Bomb vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 752-888 (142.1 - 167.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 244 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 1538-1812 (215.4 - 253.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And with hazards...

+5 244 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 309-364 (80.6 - 95%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 244 Atk Chesnaught Seed Bomb vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 247-291 (85.4 - 100.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Keep in mind that half of the insane damage you're dealing with Drain Punch is HP gained to increase survivability and extend your sweep. This set eats stall teams without a Crobat in the back for breakfast. I'll leave a few situational, low ladder replays so you can see the set in action.

Yummy Delicious Stall:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-193143305

Rain, Rain, Go Away:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-193750028

Most faster Pokemon can seem threatening, but if you maintain your Sub and predict Volt Turners with a new Sub, virtually the whole tier is either OHKO'd or 2HKO'd by Chesnaught's Dual STAB hits.

The main threats to this set are Crobat and Noivern. Faster Infiltrator mons completely shut down your sweep and will easily knock out Chesnaught.

UU's most reliable sweeper? Lol, no. A fun mon and an interesting win condition? Damn straight.

Isn't Rock Slide/Stone Edge >Seed Bomb on this set? Chesnaught has meh coverage with it's STABs and fails to gain needed kills on Pokemon that can threaten a KO like Roserade, Celebi, Trevnant, Dragalge, Amoongus, Whimsicott, Crobat (I know it outspeeds, but you can hit it on a predicted switch early-game), Yanmega, Chandelure, Defensive Arcanine, and a few others. Seed Bomb is kinda redundant and it only helps you hit water types, which don't really threaten Chesnaught at all. Idk I may be wrong, but it's just a thought

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Isn't Rock Slide/Stone Edge >Seed Bomb on this set? Chesnaught has meh coverage with it's STABs and fails to gain needed kills on Pokemon that can threaten a KO like Roserade, Celebi, Trevnant, Dragalge, Amoongus, Whimsicott, Crobat (I know it outspeeds, but you can hit it on a predicted switch early-game), Yanmega, Chandelure, Defensive Arcanine, and a few others. Seed Bomb is kinda redundant and it only helps you hit water types, which don't really threaten Chesnaught at all. Idk I may be wrong, but it's just a thought
It's probably a good thought if you can prove it by listing out so many pokemon rock slide hits and few Pokemon that seed bomb hits. Although it would suck to miss at +6.

In any case my posts seems to have been deleted when the subforum went blank but that's for the better since it was on specially defensive zygarde which is now gone to bl. Here's a replacement in that though

Swampert@swampertnite
Sassy:252hp 252spdef
~scald
~earthquake
~rest
~sleep talk

Very good on stall teams to pair with Blissey and beat 90%+ of the specially offensive Pokemon. Swampert can beat superpower nidoking diancie mega sub cm chandelure Alakazam w/o energyball special lucario which is all great. In general he can back up blissey if she's overloaded and has to wall both np pz and for example shell smash omastar.

You use this over Quagsire or Milotic or Suicune or Megatoise because of two main reasons: ground subtype to have a volt switch immunity which is good on stall and the good defensive stats. Earthquake on base 150 that ohkos alakazam and cm chandelure is a plus. Quagsire has shitty defenses and cannot wall special attackers even with max investment while the others have a worse typing.

One of the funniest things is that hp grass raikou only 3hkos if it isn't boosted. The set does enjoy cleric and wish support as to not cometely rely on rest talk but that should be easy on stall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)