ORAS OU First try at Bulky Offensive

It's this time of the year again, the meta has begun and so did I with the new prevelance of a new team. With the new meta i wanted to head in a new way I havent built a team before: Bulky with an offensive pressence. And so I began my journey to make the team that will fit my tastes. My train of thought in any game i play has always been "Defense is best Offense." And finally after some years I decided to stop going for wallbreaker teams. Since I didnt want to go full out on stall, even if it is extremely effective it isnt fun to play (outside trolling specific people), I decided to go with bulky offensive.

The reason why I don't use a mega pokemon is because people lost their creativity with the release of them, since whenever i look into an RMT I see 99.99% of the time a team revolving around a specific Mega Pokemon. Even I did this when they got released in the initial week of XY, but now its time to start using no mega pokemon and see how far it will get me in this heavily Mega dominated meta.

Changes That have been suggested
Skarm > Mandibuzz
unaware clef > Chansey
Zard X > Heatran

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 126 SpA / 130 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
Even though I prefer not to use a mega pokemon he really is ahndy and was suggested by +m00n's blanket. reasoning:"imo throw a mega garchomp on the team > landorus-t" "naive lowers special defense, which is more favorable than lowering defense for chomp because 1. his defense is higher and 2. you have heatran and chansey on this team, it acts as an excellent mixed wallbreaker, has great defenses, and a solid movepool."

Changes I want to see myself
The main change I want to see is a replacement for Keldeo, I don't know why but Keldeo just feels like it was smacked in the team for the heck of it. Even though he has saved my ass many times before by outspeeding threats I couldn't handle with my other team mates.

Things I'm trying out this very moment

Swapped mandibuzz for skarmory:
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Swapped chansey with Clefable:
Condom (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Heatran
I might change the item on Heatran to Scarf but I dont think he will benefit from it that much with a bulky EV spread, but you never know It might turn out to be succesfull when people dont see it comming. A.E survive with a 2KO and outspeed and 2HO back.

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power

Is a very good and unexpected DNite killer or any flying/dragon type after a DD.

Threat List
Don't have a real threat YET to my team. I know they are out there but I will only place them here once I actually DO encounter them on the ladder.

The Team:

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 202 Def / 54 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect
- Roar

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Landorus-Therian is a very interesting pokemon which has a very good exploit of being a massive pivot and SR setter. Intimidate is a real blessing from the gods combined with his movepool. I gave him Knock-off to weaker the incomming mon (after predicting a switch from intimidate) and get rid of his held item. U-Turn is there to scout for what counter he might bring in on my Landorus and switch in to the appropriate counter to get rid of the threat. SR doesn't have to be set up early game and especially when I battle against a team which has mons that i am not used to fight against I will simply just u-turn out.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 202 Def / 54 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom wash is also a nice pivot switcher in my team, whith his natural bulk he is a very decent wall. With 54 speed EVs he is able to outspeed some threaths to my team and be able to burn them if I suspect them to either cripple the switch in or use volt switch to see what they bring in (verys immilliar to lando-t). Hydro Pump is in his move set because lets face it. It's a very threatening STAB move, even with his crappy acc. At first i wanted to use the resto chesto set, but I switched to Pain Split to get some damage off on other mobs (and abuse opposing chanseys) and heal myself in the get go.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Chansey is the cleric of the team which is very needed vs opposing stall teams, which can wear down this team by a simple toxic stall core and then 1hko Heatran with EQ. (oh how i wish chansey had the ability regenerator). The only thing I must look out for are some unorthodox Kock-Off users which will render my Chansey useless as a wall. Soft-boiled is to keep her nice and helthy before switching out and is very handy when I decide to go for the good ol' toxic stalling. Seismic toss is on chansey so it wont be a massive Tauntbait and can still get some nice 100 dmg off on opposing mobs. Which might also be handy if I go fullretard again and let my opponent boost his defenses/sp defences to maximum. Since it will stay 100 dmg no matter what (ofc only when she is lvl 100).

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect
- Roar

Heatran has such a nice typing and a really handy ability combined with that is a really good package deal. When predicted right I will get a free Lava Plume power up which can be very scary comming from a base 130 sp attack + STAB. Roar is here to get rid of those pesky stat boosters and isnt expected most of the times even when its such a good move. Toxic is on him because just like Lando-t heatran forces a lot of switches. to anything that doesnt hit him super effective.
Protect is always a nice scouting move if I dont know if i will be able to counter the next move from the opponent and to rck ups ome more Toxic dmg.

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Keldeo feels a little bit out of place in this team, but he really saved my ass in lategame battles where he was able to outspeed opponing threats and 1HKO them inreturn.
Hydro Pump is just like on rotom a very nice STAB move whith a very threathening presence. Secret sword is a nice coverage movw which I was lacking and cvan be very usefull as a revenge killer move. Icy Wind is to get back on anything that likes to be speedy and set them back in speed level.
For the last move slot I wasnt sure yet, but after some testing I found HP Flying to be very usefull in this set.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog

My only problem was facing opposing stall teams, this is why I called upon the aid of Mandibuzz. I have used mandibuzz in other teams I used in the past and it really is good as a mixed wall. With Taunt i can stop opposing set uppers/roosters etc.
Defog was really needed for my team and madi is a reliable user of this move. Because my team switches a lot and when i say a lot i really mean A LOT, so a hazard removal attack was needed. Since rapid spin can be easily predicted and blocked by any ghost type I went for Defog, since my team doesnt heavily rely on entry hazards it doesnt hurt my own hazards that much, due to lando-ts ability to force switches.
Roost is to keep mandi on a good amount of HP before switching out so I wont lose my defogger/staller in early- or midgame.

I havenoticed my discriptions are a bit short so I will make them bigger, just give me some time.

Last edited:
this doesnt seem like balance to me only 2 mons that provide offensive pressure being keldeo and landorus. The rest just seem like stall mons. You could put a mega in their for a starter. Charizard x over heatran and taunt defog skarmory over mandibuzz that way you have a switch in to mamoswine and zard can be a setup sweeper. Unaware clefable should be over chansey to not get swept by opposing zard x and dnites. The sets are standar should be on smogdex.

this doesnt seem like balance to me only 2 mons that provide offensive pressure being keldeo and landorus. The rest just seem like stall mons. You could put a mega in their for a starter. Charizard x over heatran and taunt defog skarmory over mandibuzz that way you have a switch in to mamoswine and zard can be a setup sweeper. Unaware clefable should be over chansey to not get swept by opposing zard x and dnites. The sets are standar should be on smogdex.
This is what I explained in my RMT people focus too much on mega pokemon this and mega pokemon that. As I explained before I dont want to rely on mega pokemon since it limits creativity and pokemon teams nowadays is mega mon + trash removers. In this heavy dominated meta by Mega pokemon i rather not use one, even if it may sound "weird" to people.

And about what you said it is true, I think I need to go back to the sketch table and I will add the clefable idea, which is really nice.

Thanks for your input ;)

offtopic: nice HxH avatar btw.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)