Gen 6 Simple Questions, Simple Answers (XY Ubers Edition - read before posting a thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to test it now, but after about ten attempts, Inver hasn't pulled out a single Pokemon that knows any Bug, Grass, Fighting, ground, Rock, Ice or Electric moves. I've had a Sandshrew whose only attacking move was Aerial Ace and a Rhyhorn that only knew Take Down, though. (What is it with him and only using NFE mons this time?)

EDIT: It's the first option. A Cacnea used Needle Arm and I got the "mysterious air current weakened the attack" message. In other words, Delta Stream actually does reduce the damage of moves that are SE against flying types, not just a preset list of types.

I'm trying to test it now, but after about ten attempts, Inver hasn't pulled out a single Pokemon that knows any Bug, Grass, Fighting, ground, Rock, Ice or Electric moves. I've had a Sandshrew whose only attacking move was Aerial Ace and a Rhyhorn that only knew Take Down, though. (What is it with him and only using NFE mons this time?)

EDIT: It's the first option. A Cacnea used Needle Arm and I got the "mysterious air current weakened the attack" message. In other words, Delta Stream actually does reduce the damage of moves that are SE against flying types, not just a preset list of types.
Thank you so much for taking the time to test this. Much appreciated!

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
DragonMasterRyuga
That is just the way the quote system works. The "fat" piece isnt tacked on intentionally, but it cant be removed either because xenforo (the forum software Smogon uses) is wierd. If you look at any uote box with a user attached to it, it will say "fat <user> said:".

About Giratina though, it would wall far too much if the OU to even be considered for testing. On a server I am an admin on, I was thinking of testing Reshiram in OU but realized that Turboblaze Blue Flare and Draco Meteor would be far too much for the tier. Giratina is a wall on epic porportions, and its introduction into OU would be terrble for the metagame in my opinion, but if you want a full answer as to why it is banned in OU, then I would ask the OU subforum in there own Simple Questions Simple Answers thread.

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
Like the question above yours, this is better suited for the OU subforum SQSA or even the Ruins of Alph SQSA. Ubers has never had a say in what OU bans, and doesn't decide how OU retests Pokemon either. I would stop by the RoA personally.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Could somebody tell me why Mega Rayquaza needed to be banned from Ubers and put into Anything Goes? Sure, it's strong, but surely some form of Arcues could counter the giant serphent
There is none.

Consider the following:

The only Arceus that can OHKO Rayquaza are Fairy, Dragon, and Ice.

Jolly LO Dragon Ascent deals 63%-75% to 252/0 variants, and 60%-71% to 0/252
Extreme Speed deals 28%-34% to 252/0
Dragon Danced DA will almost surely OHKO 252/0 Arceus from full, and will OHKO 0/252 after SR
DA + ES will OHKO Arceus with SR damage, and can KO from full

If you think 252/252+ Arceus will save you, think again
Jolly LO DA does 47%-55%
There is a very high chance an SDed DA will OHKO Arceus, and will always KO after SR. Or Arceus can simply be 2HKOed by DA after SR.

The only Arceus that resist DA are Electric, Steel, and Rock.
Earthquake does even more damage to them than DA vs nonresisting variants, and none of them can OHKO.

Extremekiller can check Rayquaza, but can't switch in.

Jolly LO Dragon Ascent deals 73%-86% damage to 0/0 Arceus

How could it be there is a pokemon so strong that it is to powerful for even the "God" of pokemon to deafeat, and the strongest Uber pokemon?
Pretty simple actually. Mega-Rayquaza has 780 BST and the ability to hold any item in addition to having an amazing ability. Arceus has 720 BST, and all non-Normal type forms can only hold a single item. The Plates do give benefits unlike Mega Stones as held items, but it still pales in comparison to having completely unrestricted item choice like Mega-Ray. Arceus' ability is also useless if it is Normal-type, and it only exists to make the Type-change mechanics work. Consider that they could have easily made Arceus change forms through another method (such as simply holding the Plate of choice) and given it an actually useful ability in battle.

Would this idea for Mega Arceus be put into Anything Goes?
Arceus would be able to mega evolve by knowing Judgement
The plates would change Arceus's type on their own, without the effect of multitype
Stats: 120hp,140 everything else
Ability:Adaptability
Anything goes is where everything that is obtainable without hacking in-game can be used. Since there is no Arceus form like the one you described, it cannot be placed into anything goes. If such a form were released, it has the potential to be placed in anything goes, but it is unlikely to be released, since it contradicts previous game lore, which gamefreak doesn't like to do.

Well it's a question aimed more towards AG, then Ubers, but AG is part of Ubers subforum, so I may ask here.

Does Psych Up go through substitute or not ?

Also does Heart Swap is countered by Magic Bounce ?

Thank you for answer.

Last edited:
I'm an avid stall player in all tiers that I try to participate in. I love the challenge of building a stall team because it requires a good knowledge of the metagame while exploring one's creativity in finding absolute synergy and unique, potentially underrated sets.

However, the dominant playstyle in Ubers is offensive balanced, where the defensive pokemon are limited as checks or are surrounded by more offensively inclined pokes. So, is full stall viable in Ubers? I guess because of Ubers' massive BST, you can't help a defensive poke from being offensive so that may be part of the reason why a full stall team might not look like stall.

Since Multiscale is not possible for Lugia in AS, is the standard set for Max HP/Max Def Lugia viable with Pressure? Or should it run another set?

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Multiscale is possible due to pokebank/poketransporter. Get it in BW2, transport it into pokebank, and it retains multiscale.

Which means multiscale is legal in ORAS on smogon too.

I'm an avid stall player in all tiers that I try to participate in. I love the challenge of building a stall team because it requires a good knowledge of the metagame while exploring one's creativity in finding absolute synergy and unique, potentially underrated sets.

However, the dominant playstyle in Ubers is offensive balanced, where the defensive pokemon are limited as checks or are surrounded by more offensively inclined pokes. So, is full stall viable in Ubers? I guess because of Ubers' massive BST, you can't help a defensive poke from being offensive so that may be part of the reason why a full stall team might not look like stall.
Full stall is near unviable; you cannot even hope to counter every single mon, or anything close to that for that matter. Your best bet is forgoing certain counters to certain mons, think giving up on having a ho-oh counter. Whenever you see a ho-oh, tough tough luck. At leas now you can have 6 mons that focus on all relevant threats. It just sooo hard to not be immensely pressured groudon, even if you have something like arceus ground. Lava plum burns/damage is just annoying, and pblade is such a good move. If you want to actually "outstall" teams you are definitely going to need some kind of hazard stack. Think tspikes/spikes, but also a lot of status spam so you can be more "active". The tier is just so full over stallbreakers, many things dont even have counters. You sort of need skarmory if you want a reliable check to mega mence, and you sort of need groudon if you want to defog on klefki and groudon. 'Dedicated' stallbreakers will usually have an easy time overpowering stall builds because they are designed to do so (e.g. arceus dark), but even something like cm latios is just soooo strong. Even when they have, lets say a scizor to pursuit trap your latios, you can easily double switch into something to keep up pressure and not give them any breathing space. Yeah, if you see a gengar youre pretty much screwed (same goes for the uncommon goth). Even if you have pursuit zor, now one of your checks to ekiller/xerneas is gone. Maybe it was your only check because building is so limited and you have to cover so much. Maybe you have other checks, but this was your cm latios check which now destroys. Stall just has a hard time versus most builds, and if you dont get mons that beat you, you got lucky and yeah then you will most likely win.

A plus is that stall doesnt have to fit a stallbreaker itself, because stall is pretty much non-existent. Also chansey isnt 100% unviable anymore, but this is only true on builds that 10000% lose to gengar anyway. If your team, in any way, benefits from gengar having to suicide blissey (because ice beam) then you should go for that. Leftovers is also amazing to have, because it makes rocks+pulling doubles less detrimental.

Overall, you can run stall as a borderline gimmick. It's a bit better than sticky web, just hope to get lucky and dont get mons that you didnt/couldnt prepare for.

yohoE

I'm jus Here for da memes r wateva dem shits called
Best natures for Mega Blaziken and Mega Salamence? Latest usage stats is showing Adamant for both, what happened to Jolly?
Adamant or Jolly for both. It's mainly preference/what your teams needs more.

Best natures for Mega Blaziken and Mega Salamence? Latest usage stats is showing Adamant for both, what happened to Jolly?
Adamant for both. The things adamant blaze doesn't outspeed are super uncommon, and mence wants the extra power. Unless you really want to speed tie with latios (which means you won't have any bulk too), adamant is better because jolly is quite a bit weaker.

e: nvm about speedtying with the latis lol

Last edited:
Jolly is definitely viable in my opinion. Biggest pro of Jolly is outspeeding the +Speed nature base 110s like Mega-Diancie and Latios while unboosted, allowing you to OHKO them before they can OHKO in return should you ever end up in a such an encounter.

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
Adamant for both. The things adamant blaze doesn't outspeed are super uncommon, and mence wants the extra power. Unless you really want to speed tie with latios (which means you won't have any bulk too), adamant is better because jolly is quite a bit weaker.
You outspeed latios with jolly, not Speed tie, and Speed tieing with arceus is actually quite nice (Mega Mence is base 120). You still 2 hit max HP Arceus with jolly return after Stealth Rock anyhow. Bulky ones and Mence more suited for wall breaking run adamant no question though.
as far as the question goes Adamant on Blaze definitely, its a toss up with mence depending on what you want it to do / do you want certain arceus types to reliably check mence.

What's a good spread for mixed LO Yveltal with Knock Off/Oblivion Wing/filler/filler? Also, are there any recommendations for the last two slots? Would Dark Pulse be too redundant?

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What's a good spread for mixed LO Yveltal with Knock Off/Oblivion Wing/filler/filler? Also, are there any recommendations for the last two slots? Would Dark Pulse be too redundant?
Dark pulse would definitely be redundant. Sucker punch is probably the next most mandatory move. For the last slot I guess taunt / u-turn / heat wave / whatever else works too

Sorry to ask a lot of q's but I dont play ubers often so i wouldnt know but hows mewtwo in the oras metagame? It was always a "strong" pick but i dont see it that often, in any form. Is it because neither the mega nor base form is particularly good at one thing? Or msabaleye ruining mew-ys sig set? What are other reasons?

is there any point to calm latias in ubers, and would a 17 SAttk IV be a real impediment to its defensive role?

Calm Mind Latias is a good set to use in Ubers if you already have a defoger on your team, or if you feel like you don't need Defog, this Latias set can be run to great success. As for the the IVs i would advise you to try and get a better Sattk IV since 17 is pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)