ORAS OU Yung Stallbreakerz (Peak #30+)

Hello, I am Invok3r, a new smogon member, and this is my second rmt! The idea of this team came to me earlier this week. I've noticed that stall is being used a lot more on the ladder, and I wanted a consistent way to beat it. After a while of brainstorming, I decided to try out flare blitz zard y. Although it seems odd, mixed zard y is actually really strong, and it can tear holes through most stall teams.

As required, here is the teambuilding process:

zard y.gif

I started out with flare blitz zard y cuz fuck stall

ttar.gif

Ttar is next for trapping lati@s and cress and for sheer nuking power.

clefable.gif

Clefable's purpose is to be a cleric for healing zard. It also helps with gallade and other physical threats.

empo.gif

Empoleon provides niche hazard control while helping with ninja.

chesnaught.png

Chesnaught helps with sand offense and other physical threats.

Dragonite.gif

Dragonite is added for a bulky set-up sweeper that helps with balanced and ho teams.

Here is the music I listened to while teambuilding:

Without further ado, here is the team!

zard y.png

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Solar Beam
- Roost

The star of the show, zard y puts in a lot of work against all types of playstyles. Flare blitz does surprisingly massive amounts of damage coming from a 104 base attack stat. Here are some relevant calcs:

252+ Atk Mega Charizard Y Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 366-432 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Mega Charizard Y Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Gliscor in Sun: 178-211 (50.2 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

The two pokemon that "take" flare blitzes get 2hkod after rocks. The other bulky waters on stall lose to solar beam. Overall, flare blitz zard y is an interesting idea that can actually be quite viable with proper team support.

tyranitar.jpeg

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Next up is standard banded tar, who is always a great partner with zard y. Its main job is to trap the lati twins, but it also traps annoying mons like gothitelle and cresselia. I run superpower over earthquake to hit heatran AND ferrothorn. Tyranitar is overall a very solid mon who wallbreaks ez. Here are some relevant calcs:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 418-494 (108.2 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 294-348 (83.5 - 98.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

clefable.png

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

I wanted to add clefable for a few reasons. First of all, I wanted to keep zard healthy in case it gets statused, and wish support is always niche. Another reason I added it is because gallade eats up zard and tar for breakfast, and clefable deals with it pretty well. Overall, clefable is an extremely consistent mon that helps with some physical threats while it supports the team.

empoleon.png

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Defog
- Scald

Quite simply, I wanted a way to deal with greninja, and consistent hazard control. Empoleon fits both of these criteria unless ninja has low kick. Empoleon also synergizes well with clefable, empoleon resists steel and poison while clef resists fighting type moves. Empoleon can also help with gengar if you dont let it switch into a focus blast. The spread was made to wall greninja as much as possible, taking little damage from dark pulse and other moves.

chesnaught.jpg

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Wood Hammer
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield

Looking over the team, I realized excadrill and sand offense in general runs thru it. I have been using chesnaught a lot recently, and it consistently stops most physical threats. I run wood hammer over spikes, because I don't do hazard stacking without a spinner. Also, wood hammer helps with things like azumarill (ez ohko), and weakened calm mind clefables.

d-nite.jpg

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Lastly, I wanted a bulky set up sweeper that can be a wincon vs offense and balanced teams. Dragonite was an obvious choice to me. The ev spread was meant to outspeed base 110 mons after one dragon dance. Extreme speed is also extremely handy at finishing off set-up sweepers that would otherwise run through my team. Dragonite also reks the rotom-w and ferro defensive core on balanced teams if it gets up a dragon dance on the rotom switch in. Overall, dragonite is an extremely consistent mon that can revenge kill and set-up sweep against offense and balanced teams.

Threat list

Gengar:

Gengar is a huge threat, I have no switchins. However, I can usually play around it by predicting.

Keldeo:

I have no switchins to keldeo. However, I have protect on clefable and chesnaught to scout for which move it is going to use.

Those are the only threats I can think of atm, but I will add more if I think of them.

Importable

Ability: Blaze
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Defog
- Scald

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Wood Hammer
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Replays:

This one is against a high-ladder player with a classic stall team: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-194472860

More coming soon!

Proof of peak:

Thank you for stopping by, all rates are appreciated!

Attachments

Last edited:
Lol this guy is nuthin but a garbage patch kid,,,

Hey Invok3r, cool team you have here, its pretty weak to Lopunny/Greninja and sand offense as you mentioned. I would suggest either scarf keldeo/Conkeldurr to help you deal with that.

Lol this guy is nuthin but a garbage patch kid,,,

Hey Invok3r, cool team you have here, its pretty weak to Lopunny/Greninja and sand offense as you mentioned. I would suggest either scarf keldeo/Conkeldurr to help you deal with that.
Hmm, I can deal with greninja pretty easily with empoleon, and lopunny loses to chesnaught.

252 Atk Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 138-163 (36.3 - 42.8%) -- 97.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Pent

dumb broad
Please make sure to read the RMT Rules.
You need at least 3-4 Sentences of description (Calcs don't count.)
This post will be locked by a moderator if these rules aren't followed.

Hm, this team isn't truly stallbreaking. It just has a few more walls than the typical team.
The definition of Stall means that you widdle them down with moves like Toxic or Will-O-Wisp, then continue to take hits repeatedly then recover. A team the breaks Stall has pokemon with Magic Guard, Magic Bounce, or Taunt. Usually, these are used in Stall breaking teams. I have a lot of changes to be made to this team.

First of all, you just don't run Physical Charizard Y. Instead maybe try Charizard X, since it's ability makes it the physical attacker. If you truly wanted Charizard Y, pick this set. The Charizard X is on the bottom.

Ability: Blaze --> Drought
EVs: 252 Sp Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Modest/Timid Nature
- Solarbeam
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Roost/Focus Blast/Ancient Power/HP Ice/Dragon Pulse

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze --> Tough Claws
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Earthquake
- Roost/Flare Blitz

Next is Tyranitar, I would run Earthquake instead of Pursuit since you already have Crunch.

Other than those, good luck with the team.

Hope it helps. ^-^

I'm not so sure about your T-Tar set, Pursuit and Crunch seem counter-intuitive when you could easily throw in some coverage, Ice Punch in particular. I might also suggest a spread with some more defensive investment that would let it live an EQ from Lando-T, Garchomp, Excadrill, all the tough EQers, and OHKO back in return (the spread I have in mind is still a guaranteed OHKO on Scarfed Lando after Rocks at -1). Aside from that, your team is pretty solid. I hate physical Zard Y, but that's personal preference above anything majorly practical since I can't really argue against physical Y's effectiveness. Nice team, man.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 200 HP / 122 Atk / 188 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit / Crunch
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

Last edited:
Hey. Cool team you have there. Just a few suggestions:

-Make Clefable Unaware to better take on Gallade.

-If you want, you can change Tar's spread to 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd so it can outspeed standard Skarmory.

-Make Empoleon physically defensive to take 2 Greninja Low Kicks or a special move (e.g. Dark Pulse) followed by Low Kick

-You could make Clefable have a mixed bulk spread so it can alleviate the Keldeo problem. Maybe the 252/160/96 spread with a Calm nature.

Cool team and grats on hitting #40! Hope this helped :]

Edit: Unaware Fable helps also with SD chomp which could be a huge problem.

Last edited:
Please make sure to read the RMT Rules.
You need at least 3-4 Sentences of description (Calcs don't count.)
This post will be locked by a moderator if these rules aren't followed.

Hm, this team isn't truly stallbreaking. It just has a few more walls than the typical team.
The definition of Stall means that you widdle them down with moves like Toxic or Will-O-Wisp, then continue to take hits repeatedly then recover. A team the breaks Stall has pokemon with Magic Guard, Magic Bounce, or Taunt. Usually, these are used in Stall breaking teams. I have a lot of changes to be made to this team.

First of all, you just don't run Physical Charizard Y. Instead maybe try Charizard X, since it's ability makes it the physical attacker. If you truly wanted Charizard Y, pick this set. The Charizard X is on the bottom.

Ability: Blaze --> Drought
EVs: 252 Sp Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Modest/Timid Nature
- Solarbeam
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Roost/Focus Blast/Ancient Power/HP Ice/Dragon Pulse

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze --> Tough Claws
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Earthquake
- Roost/Flare Blitz

Next is Tyranitar, I would run Earthquake instead of Pursuit since you already have Crunch.

Other than those, good luck with the team.

Hope it helps. ^-^

To be honest, there are many different ways of stallbreaking. I think you are thinking of mons like stallbreaker mew or gliscor, but zard y breaks stall by luring in chansey, which is the heart of every stall team. How does phys zard y not break stall when there are very few switchins(who get trapped by ttar anyway)?

Pursuit is the only reason to use banded ttar, it gurantees a kill on the lati twins, gothitelle, and cresselia.

First of all, thanks for the rate man! Ice punch sounds interesting on tyranitar, so I will test it out. I am not so sure about using it over crunch though, as crunch provides consistent damage to most mons.
Also, Chesnaught deals with the Lando's anyways and Crunch is good enough for Scarf Land-t's. Oh I forgot, you may want Zard Y to have 296 speed just to outspeed Jolly Heracross before m-evolving, xD. It's rare but you never know.
Also, physical Zard Y is super legit and I love that you made a team around it- a successful one at that. I'm done ranting. :]

Ice Punch is more for my entire suggested spread to retaliate against Garchomps and Landos, if you're going with ArchPhantom's spread then maybe Crunch could work better in the long run though (though catching the obvious Lando or Gliscor or Chomp or whatever on the switch is always effective). I don't know, play around with them and see what suits. :]

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
LOL do you know what "StallBreaking" even means? Rofl, and the point of physy char y is to lure chansey....
LOL do you even know the difference between stallbreaking and wallbreaking.

Mew is a stallbreaker, it uses taunt + wow + roost to break stall

Char-y is a wallbreaker, it uses ridiculously strong hits to muscle through walls

rofl...

On a more serious note though. Is there a reason for using 56 HP on ZardY ? I don't personally see it being helpful, but they could be there for a reason and I could be wrong.

anyway looks like an interesting/fun team, I don't play OU as much as I used to so I can't help much but I might test this soon.

edit: Sparkl3y Earthquake over Pursuit is bad because then you can't really trap the Lati@s, or trap anything in general, which is a major selling point of using Tyranitar anyway.

LOL do you even know the difference between stallbreaking and wallbreaking.

Mew is a stallbreaker, it uses taunt + wow + roost to break stall

Char-y is a wallbreaker, it uses ridiculously strong hits to muscle through walls

rofl...

On a more serious note though. Is there a reason for using 56 HP on ZardY ? I don't personally see it being helpful, but they could be there for a reason and I could be wrong.

anyway looks like an interesting/fun team, I don't play OU as much as I used to so I can't help much but I might test this soon.

That is exactly how I beat stall, muscle pass walls with y zard and ttar. 56 hp is not that important, it is actually the 200 speed that is more relevant. It lets me outspeed max+ speed base 80 mons like mamoswine. The reason I did this is because base 100 speed is pretty bad in this fast-paced meta, and you won't be outspeeding much with it. Thanks for the rate!

CTC

Banned deucer.
is a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Big Chungus Winner
why not scrftar w exca over nite to help beat offense? this way u dont need to defog ur spikes w poleon and have 1 a gar switchin and 2 an answer to zard x. cool team btw i used to love physical zard y until it died to recoil v chans. after that i stuck w special. exort exort exort mlg all day G

why not scrftar w exca over nite to help beat offense? this way u dont need to defog ur spikes w poleon and have 1 a gar switchin and 2 an answer to zard x. cool team btw i used to love physical zard y until it died to recoil v chans. after that i stuck w special. exort exort exort mlg all day G

Thanks for the rate fam. Exca over nite seems liek a gr8 idea to beat offense. However, I don't really see a use for empo now that ninja is banned and I already have a hazard remover. Yea, recoil can be a bitch, but clefable can help with that by passin wishes. Quas quas quas erryday to pop fake nigs up with the mlg cold snap :]]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)